Dogs of decorative breeds, probably, already genetically like to sit on their hands or “ride” under the owner’s armpit. The owners of the small “hunkers” wear their favorites for hours, and let the dog’s small weight not be encouraging, even 1.5 kilograms constantly “hanging” on their hand bring a lot of inconvenience. Bag for dogs solves several problems in the movement of the pet. It should be noted right away that this article concerns not only miniature, but also medium dogs, is not an advertisement and is purely informative in nature.
Bag for a dog – a necessity or an extra waste of money?
Of course, not all dogs need this accessory. If your house is home to a Jack Russell Terrier, Pug or Cocker Spaniel, you may need to carry it only if you travel in transport. Bag-carrying is relevant for small dogs and pets, who prefer to travel solely on their hands, are not resistant to stress, afraid of people, transport or other animals. To a greater extent, bags for dogs entered the market as an attribute of fashion and many use them for purely decorative purposes; however, a carefully crafted carrier can combine several functions at once.
The main functions for which you can use the bag carrying for dogs:
- Constant companionship – if you are used to taking a pet with you everywhere, then sitting in a bag will not cause inconvenience to others.
- For the "charter dogs" – pets who go for a walk themselves, "walk" from a walk solely on their hands.
- A trip to a veterinary clinic – perhaps the most urgent reason to have an accessory in the house, even if it is not intended to use it permanently.
- Physiological need – partially or completely immobilized dogs need extra care. Carrying such a pet in the carry more humane solution than the constant carrying on the hands.
- Traveling – in a plane or bus, a dog can ride in the luggage compartment or in the cabin, under the condition of complete safety for others, that is, in a muzzle. To send a decorative dog to the luggage compartment is just a mockery, but to carry in a bag is quite an acceptable option for the owner, pet and other passengers.
- The exhibition is “laid” and combed pet has more chances to stay in brilliant form if it is transported in soft carrying.
- Sleeper – bags in the form of houses can be used as a personal place for a dog within the dwelling, it is convenient for the owners, and it will be more comfortable for the dog to always have a personal territory with it.
- Weak nervous system – if a pet trembles at the sight of another dog or child, climbs hysterically in his arms or runs away, it is better to immediately put him in a bag and release it only for sending personal needs.
Important! Dogs, like people, are prone to phobias. Fear of a closed space for dogs is far from uncommon. Before you buy a bag, "test" your pet by sitting it in a regular bag or a box with a hole for the head. If the dog is anxious, whines or howls, either abandon the bag or get ready for a long habituation process.
Types of bags for dogs – features and differences
First of all, bags differ in size, for small breeds the assortment is wider. For observers of fashion trends, there are models in the form of stylish bags with logos of famous brands, rhinestones, straps and other trifles that do not carry the functional load. For medium dogs, mainly carrying bags with a frame are made. Consider the main types of accessories for transporting pets:
Shoulder bag – Standard women’s handbag with a special hole for the dog’s head. It is zipped, equipped with short straps, while wearing a pet under the arms. Such a model cannot be called comfortable for the dog; in the carrier, the animal cannot freely change its position and breathe freely while lying down. More comfortable option – a bag in the manner of the beach.
Bag-box – made with and without frame, the walls are usually made of light transparent fabrics so that the dog can observe what is happening and have full access to oxygen. The most popular options are in the form of a travel bag, a soft house or a carrying cage, which is “sewn up” in a case with compartments for dog accessories; the last pet can be used as a sleeping place.
Sling for dogs – an accessory “borrowed” from children’s subjects and quickly gained a circle of its fans. Ergo backpacks and slings were approved by mothers and children for the possibility of constant contact with the baby without busy hands and damage to the spine. With dogs, the story is the same – for timid, constantly looking for the protection of pets – an ideal option. A favorite is always in a safe area – at chest level, anatomically correct distribution of the load on the spine, the products themselves are suitable for male and female owners and most importantly – free hands.
- The cart does not fit shy dogs – the animal does not feel protected.
- Constantly “flashing” legs of passers-by – additional vanity and stress.
- Before using the dog regularly, it is necessary to accustom you to this kind of movement and there is no guarantee of success.
- The animal is close to the ground, but cannot move. In hot weather, this is an additional risk of overheating and dust allergies.
A trolley bag is far from universal, an accessory for decent money, and its purchase is relevant only for narrowly focused purposes, for example, for traveling on an airplane or a bus. Models for travel are more "house" than carrying – the photo below. Before you buy, be sure to find out the standards and restrictions of carrying in the transport company, you plan to use bark services.
Important! Do not borrow bags "on trial" from familiar owners of dogs, especially cats. Even from the washed bag it wakes up to smell like a “stranger”. If you carry the carrier "inherited" or bought a used one – spend several washing cycles, dry in the sun, treat with antiparasitic preparations, put the dog’s toys in the bag or rub the product with a piece of wool. Do not use perfumed products – it will scare the pet.
Safety and practicality – according to what principles to choose a bag for a dog
Lost about fashion and rhinestones and turned their attention to the favorites, which bag to choose, so that the “treasure” was enough. By the way, it is not necessary to pay for the accessory at an exorbitant price; it is quite realistic to sew a bag for a dog, but more on that below.
Criterias of choice:
- Size – the animal should be free to lie, stand and turn while in the carrier.
- The material is durable, easy to clean and hypoallergenic. Information on possible allergic reactions should be indicated in the quality certificate or on the label.
- Completion – the presence of pockets, visors, pillows – not the point. The bag must be completely disassembled for cleaning and washing. In carrying there should be several (!) "Hatches" with nets, for the free circulation of oxygen.
- Not a rule, but a recommendation – do not buy bags of black color; in hot and sunny months they become very hot, for a dog that is actually immobilized there is a great risk of heat stroke.
Even if you do not know how to sew professionally, making a handbag for walking with your own hands will not be a problem. The easiest option is to remake the finished bag: make a cut for the head, upholster with a soft edging, shorten the zipper and carry on the shoulder is ready. The only condition – choose a bag from the material that can be washed. If you have a sewing machine, cutting and sewing skills – choose a pattern to your liking, stock up with necessary materials and “into battle”. Everything is simpler than it looks on the scheme, please yourself with an exclusive thing, and your pet with a comfortable accessory.