Flying or moving with pets is not an easy process. In addition to the pet, the owner needs to keep an eye on the bag, suitcase, documents, wallet, and the curious dog, which has to be kept on a leash, creates a lot of inconvenience. Therefore, carriers are currently used not only for cats, but also for dogs.
Purpose of carrying for dogs
You should not spare funds for the purchase of this important inventory, you will need to carry the dog more than once during your life. Experienced owners know that this thing serves the following purposes.
- For travel. If there is a personal transport, the task is simplified, but on a bus, train or plane you cannot do without a special carry. There simply will not let the passenger with the dog on a leash.
- To visit the veterinary clinic. Both small and large dogs can be brought to a specialist and on a leash, but if the animal is unhealthy, then carrying will become a necessity for delivering the dog. In the bag to transport a sick pet get faster and safer.
- Carrying can serve as a pet’s house. If there are children in the family, the dog will consider the bag as its resting place, where you can hide from the noise.
- To visit the exhibition. Before this serious event, the dog can spend several hours in the hands of the groomer, and so that the appearance does not deteriorate upon delivery to the exhibition, you will need a carrying bag.
Advantages and disadvantages
Of the minuses can be noted high cost even budget options. For miniature dogs, it is recommended to buy a feline option – this will be cheaper.
It is important to choose the size so that the animal could stand up to its full height without bending, and also stretch out to its full length. But a very spacious carrier is also not suitable, otherwise, when braking or sharp turns, the dog will be thrown against the wall. Additional volume should be such that your pet has enough space for a comfortable 360-degree turn.
The height of the product should be 10 cm above the head of the dog. There is even a formula for calculating the size of the carry. Take the following parameters:
- But – dog length from nose to tail, cm;
- B – the length of the limb from the floor to the elbow joint, cm;
- C – width of the chest area, cm;
- D – length from floor to tip of the ears, see
Formulas for calculating the size are as follows:
- Carrying length = a1 / b;
- Width = cc;
- Height = d10.
For dogs of small breeds suitable products made of soft materials, but for large individuals only massive carriers and cages from solid raw materials are offered. Most often, containers for the transport of large dogs are plastic or metal. Carriers for large and medium breeds can be equipped with additional elements and are almost always plastic.
If the owner chose a cage for transportation, then this is in any case a metal option. The cage is good because it can be used additionally when visiting animals at an exhibition, but it is inconvenient because of its air flow, that is, it can be used only in summer.
For miniature rocks, you can pick up both a plastic model and a rag. To make it easy for the pet to breathe through textile materials, plastic mesh is often sewn into the products. Sometimes there are specimens with a hole for the head, as well as options with a foam insert to maintain shape.
For hygienic purposes, it is also recommended to use plastic carriers for small dogs.
Stopping in more detail on the options of soft or hard material, It is possible to distinguish the most popular in its functionality varieties.
- Soft carrying bag. This option resembles the appearance of a sports bag with a window for ventilation. Such copies have handles of medium length, providing ease of use. Popular are bags with an additional compartment where you can store dog paraphernalia and ammunition. There are options on the wheels that can be transported by the type of suitcases.
- Backpack. Another soft option. Also used for small dogs. Some specimens have a window that provides an animal view. For security, the windows of some models are equipped with metal mesh. Backpacks are made of high-quality nylon, which has water-repellent properties, and the animal does not get wet inside in the rain. The product allows you to go on a bike trip. Very convenient carrying, freeing the owner of the hand, however, the backpack is recommended to be used only for balanced dogs that are not afraid to be alone in an enclosed space without seeing their owner.
- Sling. Another kind of soft material. It is a bag on the chest of the owner, which is outweighed by one shoulder. This option is more suitable for timid miniature individuals who are afraid of losing the owner from sight. Reliability provides a wide shoulder strap. This copy can be used exclusively for kids, for dwarf or medium dogs it will not work.
- Plastic container. As already mentioned, it is best to choose plastic. It is easy to clean, does not absorb moisture, which is very important for the ever-scared little dogs, does not cause an allergy in the animal. There are models with an additional mount, such a box can be securely fixed on the car seat. The product allows you to additionally attach the drinker inside, moreover, such a carrier can be put on dirty asphalt – everything can be easily and quickly washed. By the way, for example, during air transportation it is allowed to transport dogs only in plastic boxes.
- Metal cage. This option is often used in the transport of large dogs: Sheepdogs, Labradors, dogs. Here you can install a drinking bowl and put a bowl with food. The animal itself is quite comfortable here, since it has a fully open view and it sees the owner. Cells are easy to clean and can be additionally used at exhibitions.
How to choose?
Before choosing a dog carry pay attention to seasonal models. They have special requirements.
- Winter portable bags should be made of dense fabric material that can keep warm air inside. It is impossible for such a bag to get wet. When choosing a size, keep in mind that the animal may be transported in warm clothing, so the parameters should be slightly larger.
- If the animal is transported in the summer, then choose containers from thin breathing material that lets in fresh air. To the dog was not stuffy, the side of the product must be equipped with nets, windows. For psychological comfort and peace of mind of the owner, it is recommended to choose a bag in soft pastel colors.
For transportation of a pet in the autumn or spring, it is recommended to buy bags of water-repellent materials with a bottom that does not let moisture through. For hygiene, give preference to specimens of easy-washable fabric, from natural and environmentally friendly materials.
If you have understood the time of the year, then you should familiarize yourself with other recommendations on the choice of carrying.
- For a short bus ride, for example, to a local veterinary clinic or to the country, for small dogs, choose a soft carrier. It is lighter in weight, and the pet will be more comfortable there. In addition, there are now folding soft models that can be easily transported when empty.
- For a big trip, give preference to plastic options. Firstly, they simply will not be allowed on the train or plane with a soft bag, and, secondly, in many countries in cars it is allowed to transport dogs only in plastic boxes.
- If during the journey you have to go on a long hike, then for a large or medium dog it is better to purchase a container on wheels with a retractable handle, and for a miniature breed to get a backpack.
When buying, make sure that the carrying handles are sturdy and the lock is secure.
As already mentioned, cells and carriers have a double function, they can be used both during a hike and at home, but this should be done correctly. Canine give their recommendations on the operation of carriers and cells.
- Do not lock the animal in a cage just because you are tired of it. Instead of so unfair to do with a curious puppy, it is better to engage in his education and training. If you leave a tired dog in an enclosed space all the time, you will never be able to teach her to move in a bag.
- If you need to transport a puppy aged from 8 to 16 weeks, then do not leave him inside for a long time. Even one hour of loneliness gives the puppy psychological discomfort. The same applies to the use of carrying in the house. At the age of 4-6 months, a puppy is allowed to be locked in a cage for a maximum of 3 hours.
- Adult dogs can be left in a cage for 8 hours, but only after a 30–60 minute run. In the opposite case, an unprepared dog may try to gnaw the bars, try to get out, whine, bark, bothering the neighbors.
- Try to use as little as possible the cage to punish the dog, otherwise she will hate this thing and on the next journey it will be difficult to drive her inside.
- If the animal has decided that the cage in the house is its refuge, then it is necessary to carefully walk past the cage, as the pet may begin to guard its territory. In this case, do not reach the animal from carrying it with your hands; better, lure it out with a treat or “shake it out”.
- Going on an air trip, check with a company representative what characteristics the carrier should have. A number of airlines have their own requirements for the height of the product and its locking mechanisms. Usually a plastic container should have two locks, a place for fixing a bowl for food and drinkers, good ventilation.
- Get an individual carrier for your dog, do not take the bag from your friends. First, it can be dangerous. Perhaps the friends dog was transported in this bag to the veterinary clinic, being sick, and it means that your dog has every chance of catching an infection. Many fungi and bacteria can live inside the carrier for several years, and even aggressive chemistry does not always work on them. Secondly, the pet will not be comfortable inside the “alien” carrier, because he will clearly smell the other dog and be nervous all the way about it.