Carriers for dogs of small breeds – a useful device for comfortable movement of the animal and the serenity of others. Backpacks, bags, plastic containers, slings – manufacturers offer a wide selection of containers for transporting animals.
Which carry is better? How to choose a "house" to move a four-legged pet? What types of carriers are there? What is more convenient for long journeys: a container or bag? Answers in the article.
Is it necessary to carry dogs
A compact and convenient design is not a waste of money, as some small dog owners think. If the carrier is chosen correctly, taking into account the individual characteristics and nature of the dog, the adaptation is useful both in everyday life and during travels.
The city is busy on the streets, there are many strangers around, small dogs are often afraid of the environment, where there are many unfamiliar sounds and large moving objects. Often, the owners wear chihuahua, lapdogs, yorkies, toy terriers, and Pekingese, but, despite their low weight, keeping a pet weighing 5–10 kg constantly is hard enough.
A few more reasons to buy carriers for small dogs:
- During travel, free hands are needed, and the pet must be sure of protection from environmental exposure.
- Carrying is a convenient "house" in which it is warm and cozy during the cold season.
- In summer, the construction of breathable materials protects the dog from the scorching rays of the sun.
- Pet does not cause inconvenience to all who are nearby.
- Small dogs in the carrier are not placed in the luggage compartment of the aircraft, but to be in the cabin next to the owner must be carried.
- In the veterinary clinic, many animals, and the dog is better to be inside his "house".
- A soft bag, similar to a house, creates a personal space for a four-legged pet, gives a sense of security.
Learn about the first signs and symptoms of a cold in a dog, as well as ways to treat the disease.
Instructions for use of Propaline for dogs with urinary incontinence and other urological problems are described on this page.
On a note:
- Many small dogs are nervous and often loudly bark when meeting with relatives, often rushing to the "offender", which can be several times larger than a tiny brave Chihuahua. Carrying solves this problem: you can safely walk with your pet, but at the time of approaching a large dog, hide the baby in a bag or backpack.
- The bones of small dogs are fragile, often injuries during compression of the calf or falling from the hands. Comfortable carrying prevents pressure on the bones and skeleton.
- Carrying is indispensable when transporting a sick or injured pet. In a spacious container, it is much more convenient for a dog to lie down than on his hands, especially if the bandaged limbs or body are in the correct position.
All the listed advantages of carriers for dogs are manifested with proper selection of the design. The following section describes the main types of products for transporting small dogs.
Types of designs
Manufacturers offer several designs. Many varieties are not only convenient for finding a pet, but also have a stylish look, are an original accessory.
Review carriers for dogs:
- Plastic containers. Capacity with large openings for ventilation suitable for long journeys. It is convenient for a dog to be carried, because a pet can stand up to its full height in it. In winter you need to warm the container. Plastic containers well protect small dogs from injury and damage. Most models have a removable top that allows you to open the container and easily get a pet;
- Bags. A variety of models: winter (warmed), summer (open), with and without decor, with straps, transformers, slings and backpacks. For carrying small dogs comfortable soft boxes on the straps. It is useful if the device has ventilation windows, soft pillows and other accessories for the comfort of the pet. In the bag you can put your favorite toy or a small litter.
How to choose
It is useful to find the best option not only for a specific purpose (a long trip, a visit to a veterinary clinic, a walk with a pet and friends), but also to take into account other parameters. The carrier must be suitable for the size and weight of the dog. Important nuances: comfort for a pet, the presence of insulation for the winter, a soft pillow on the bottom of the container, a window with a solid mesh for viewing the surrounding world while driving.
Which kind is better
Each of the dog carrier options has its advantages. If the pet is small, then a hard bottom is not necessary, as for dogs of medium breeds. It is important to take into account the nature and size of the animal, a dog sits quietly or constantly strives to jump out of the "house".
- Containers are convenient for long trips and trips to a veterinary clinic;
- Backpacks and slings are suitable for daily walks with a pet;
- A soft bag with handles is a great option for traveling with a calm dog who loves to inspect everything while moving, but does not try to leave the carrier;
- If the owner is going to fly by plane or by train, you will have to buy a plastic container of a certain size. In this case, the law and transport regulations leave no choice to owners of small dogs.
Traveling dogs in the carrier will be comfortable if the owner follows the rules:
- The capacity is chosen according to the size of the four-legged pet;
- The animal is not cold and not hot in a bag, container or backpack;
- In the carrying there are openings for access of fresh air;
- During a long journey, the dog can stand up without touching the top of the container and lie comfortably;
- The material is breathable, without a "heavy" synthetic smell, droplets of condensate do not accumulate inside, which provides a pleasant microclimate for the animal.
How to teach a dog to carry
The bright, stylish design of the material, pleasant to the touch, seems to be the owner of perfection, and the owner thinks that the dog will be happy to travel in the new "house". Unfortunately, most pets do not share the joy of acquiring useful things for walking and traveling. It takes time for the dog to get used to the new gadget and quietly be inside. Some pets willingly climb inside, they are quiet, but when they try to get them out they bite and do not want to leave the box.
What to do? How to explain to a pet that a cage or backpack is not scary? What little tricks will help a dog to get used to carrying more quickly?
It is useful to adopt the advice of experienced dog breeders:
- Give time to get acquainted with the new object. You can not immediately put the dog in the carrier, otherwise the pet may be frightened by unfamiliar surroundings. It is useful to put a bag, container or other type of carrying around a bowl of food, be sure to open the door or top. Let the dog sniff a new thing, get used to it. When the animal will calmly run past the carrying, continue the further "acquaintance".
- The next step is to show that the container or bag can be climbed. During the games you need to throw the ball or bone inside the tank, let the dog reach the object. No need to rush, fuss or do anxious, too serious look: the owner should behave naturally, as during a normal game, and not during training. It is useful to put inside a favorite toy so that the animal sees a familiar object. You can not force the animal to shout at him, scold, forcefully sit inside the bag or container. It may take several days until the pet dares to bring the ball caught in the carrier. As a reward must give a treat.
Learn about the peculiarities of a puppy’s behavior when changing teeth and the timing of the loss of dairy units of the dentition.
Useful tips on how to worm worms in dogs, depending on the type of parasites collected in this article.
On the page http://melkiesobaki.Com/porody/gladkosherstnye/siba-inu.Html read about the features of the education and maintenance of the Japanese dog Siba Inu.
A few more recommendations:
- The carrier must always be kept in a visible place so that the dog does not consider it to be something special. When an animal calmly pulls a ball or treat from the tank, you can hold the pet inside for a while. Be sure to praise the dog, treat a treat for a calm behavior. If the pet is actively trying to get out, do not hold the animal inside for a long time.
- Gradually, the dog will get used and will not be nervous. Now you can close the door, give a treat and stay close. It is important to praise the pet, do not fuss. If the animal barks loudly, you need to say "Quiet" in a calm, stern voice. When the dog calms down, be sure to give a treat.
- The next stage is to leave the animal in the carrier and move away for some distance, but within sight. If the dog does not whine and does not bark, it is imperative to encourage the animal with a word and treat. When anxiety you need to gently tap your fingers on the door to switch attention. If the animal calmed down, does not toss, does not bark, again give a treat. You will have to repeat the lessons until the pet sits quietly inside the container or bag.
- For each animal, getting used to a new “house” for traveling takes a different period of time. The older the dog, the harder it is to get it inside. For this reason, experienced dog breeders advise to teach a four-legged pet to the capacity for transportation from the first weeks of life.
- It is useful to watch a video on the topic: it is easier to figure out how to act when you teach a pet to a bag, container or backpack to transport a pet.
A few more useful recommendations on how to teach a dog to carry can be found after watching the video: