Every owner of a furry pet had to take him somewhere at least once. This could be the first meeting and the road to a new home, a vet reception or a journey to the country. Not always such travel is safe for animals, because many people do not even know the basic rules of transportation. Neglecting them can end very sadly.
There is no official law regulating the transportation of animals. No matter how rough it may sound, but our beloved pets are considered only a “burden” in the car. Following the above, the only mandatory standards: luggage should not close the visibility of the driver and can not interfere with driving.
By law, everything is like this, but then every owner who loves his Vaska or Sharik will try to ensure them maximum safety on the way. Fortunately, there are plenty of funds for this now.
Why it is impossible to transport animals just like that
Perhaps in every village with the onset of spring, you can see the crowd of summer residents on the country roads. Tomato seedling, a pile of junk, a bull terrier’s muzzle stuck out of the window or a stunned cat with a bulging eyes jumping on the back shelf. Familiar?
And let’s imagine what will happen in the event of an accident, even at low speed. People wearing seat-belts will stay in place and get off with small abrasions. A beloved pet during heavy braking will fly through the entire passenger compartment and with great acceleration will collide with a torpedo or glass, and, possibly, will throw it out onto the track. Do not talk about the consequences of such incidents.
According to the results of crash tests, at the time of the collision, any body in the car increases its mass several times. So, twenty kilogram dog can weigh down to half a ton. The flight of such a "projectile" through the cabin is deadly both for the dog itself and for everyone in its path.
Dogs jump on the back seat, interfere and distract from the road. Cats generally have superpowers to be in the wrong place. The most dangerous situation is when they become clogged under the pedals and do not allow their carcass to squeeze the brake.
For many animals, traveling in a car is a big shock. Cats are more susceptible to him than dogs. Movement and sounds panic some tails. In this state, they can behave completely inadequately – jumping around the cabin, scratching and biting, spoiling the upholstery of the seats. The feeling of fear can trigger the needing of the poor fellow, and it will be difficult to withdraw the consequences of such an emergency.
Another unpleasant fact is that the vestibular apparatus of animals is less adapted to travel in a car. Pet can vomit directly on the seats and upholstery.
Types of fixation and safe travel rules
There are different options for the transport of animals. Each owner can choose which way to keep his pet healthy.
Consider the basic tips:
- Teach pets to everything from birth. Proper location in the car is no exception. The earlier you instill in the animal the norms of behavior in a vehicle, the less problems will arise in the future;
- Do not allow pets to be free in the car, even when driving for short distances. Accident can happen at any time;
- The best place to transport animals is the trunk of a hatchback, station wagon or SUV;
- In order that the pet does not climb into the salon, you need to make a special fencing luggage space. It can be in the form of a grid or grid. The main condition is the reliability and durability of such a structure. Some new cars are equipped with a similar structure from the factory;
- Large dogs equip living space in the luggage compartment, fasten them with special seat belts or put in special hammocks;
- Smaller animals are recommended to be transported in containers. Bags, carriage come in different sizes, and you need to select them based on the size of the pet. Inside there must be enough free space for movement and air vents for air circulation;
- If the trunk is busy, then put the container with your pet on the floor and fix it in a stationary position with the back of the seat. Placing a carrier on a car couch is extremely dangerous both for the animal and for you – with sudden braking it will turn into a gun shell with tremendous destructive power. Although some containers are equipped with seat belt anchorages, you should not trust such fixation. Plastic bags can not withstand pressure at the time of the collision, crack and injure a pet;
- Protect from damage can and special harnesses with seat belts. They look like vests tightly encircling the body of an animal, and are fastened to ordinary car belts or clasps. It is important that they are made of durable material, do not cause discomfort to the animal, and fastening carbines – withstand a large load;
- To keep the seats clean and safe, place a special mat or cover under your pet;
- If the animal is afraid of traveling and does not tolerate the road badly, water it with soothing drops before leaving.
Features transportation dogs
The ratio of dogs to the car is most often formed from the first experience of travel. Therefore, in order to save yourself and your pet from problems and fears, be attentive to the acquaintance of Barbosa with the machine.
- Before your first ride, let the dog calmly inspect the car. Later start the engine, let him get used to the new sound. Show her the "place" and fasten your seat belts.
- Better a dog will feel in the trunk – there is more space and you can equip everything for its convenience. To the animal does not interfere with the driver, do not forget to put protective nets or grilles.
- It is also possible to transport in a container or on a special harness, fastened with straps. In the latter case, the length of the straps should be as short as possible and not allow the dog to move freely around the cabin.
- Before you travel, do not overfeed the animal, it can cause nausea and vomiting.
- Be sure to stock up with water. Even if the path is short, the stress from the road can cause a thirst attack in a pet. Also, to reduce the dog’s anxiety, take his favorite treat with you.
- Animals do not tolerate heat and stuffiness. Therefore, ventilate the car before you run there tailed passenger.
- In no case do not let the dog pop out of the window. Even children know that it is dangerous. A stone may fly from the road, debris or a large insect. At high speed, it is deadly. In addition, a strong airflow will cause ear and eye disease of the pet.
- On long trips, do not release the animal without a leash in unfamiliar areas – the dog may run away and get lost.
- If you are planning a long journey, prepare all the documents of the dog, pass the examination at the vet, make vaccinations. When traveling abroad, find out what information is needed to transport a pet. Be prepared that in each state its own laws and not all countries can hold an animal.
- Teach the dog to jump into the car only on your team. It is not uncommon for dogs who like to travel, drive away on other people’s cars or buses and get lost in unfamiliar terrain.
Features of the transportation of cats
Baleen Murks rarely enjoy tourism. More often they try to get away from the car with all their might and loudly send the cat curses to the creators of this terrible tarantas. If your cat is not like that, then you are really lucky.
- Most cats intuitively feel the impending torment and hiding in advance in the most distant and dark corners. If finding them in the apartment is not a problem, then in the village the search can be very long. Therefore, in advance, place the animal indoors and do not release it before the trip.
- Like dogs, cats should not be overfed. It is better to take food and water with you to reduce panic attacks along the way.
- Do not allow the cat to be free in the cabin! Frightened animal is unpredictable. It can scratch and bite, tear the claws of the seat, rush around the car, try to get on the driver’s head or dive into his legs, under the pedals. All this is insanely dangerous and can lead to serious consequences.
- In addition, cats instantly react to any opportunity to escape from the car. They are the first to notice the opening door or a gap in the window, sufficient for escape. Jumping at will, the frightened pet will rush off, far away. This is how many pets are lost.
- Harnesses and vests are ineffective for cats. They are able to keep the animal, but can not protect the salon from the clawed marauder.
- The ideal way to cat transportation is the container. This is the only way to avoid the above problems. Better to put it in the trunk or on the floor behind the front seats.
- Cats do not tolerate moving over long distances, so without the need you should not carry them with you once again.
- When planning to cross the border, find out the necessary requirements for transporting animals, go through the procedures at the vet and take the documents with you.
Features of transportation of other animals
Least of all problems arise when traveling rodents and other small living creatures. Special cells or boxes here will be enough. The only condition is to observe the temperature regime, do not allow overheating or overcooling of pets.
Parrots and other decorative birds should not be transported in their own cages. An abrupt change in the situation of your home may negatively affect the bird’s well-being. It is better to put them in another closed cell or dark box. Watch the air temperature very carefully – hypothermia for parrots can be deadly.
For the transport of livestock, the rules are formed by the veterinary services.
But there are basic security points:
- Animals are divided into categories, it is not allowed to drive everyone in a row (for example, large and small livestock);
- Be sure to have feeders and bedding;
- Large animals should be leashed;
- There should be enough space in the bodywork so that all the “passengers” could be in a lying position;
- Rabbits and poultry are transported in large wooden boxes.
Fluffy friends bring so much joy and love. Often people consider them members of their families and fear losing. Responsibility for the "tail" of life in the hands of those who tamed them. And let there be no official law on the transport of animals, every loving owner will surely ensure the safety of his pet.