Often we fail to go on a trip because of a special attachment to pets. Sometimes a four-legged friend can not be left with anyone, and it is not possible to take with them on a trip at all.
Doubts aside! Today, this problem has been solved, since many transport companies provide accommodation services for holidaymakers with fluffy pets, so even in such a romantic kind of travel as a cruise you can go with your pet! So, let’s talk about the transport of animals on water transport.
Rules for the transport of animals on the ferry
- You need to go on a journey with the animal’s veterinary passport, and if your path lies abroad, then with the international model of this document.
- To cross the border, a pet must undergo a chipping procedure. This is a quick and painless procedure that allows you to quickly find the animal, if it suddenly gets lost on the way, since the chip can be considered all the necessary information about the pet. Without the presence of a chip in the withers of an animal, you will not be allowed into any of the countries of Europe.
- Also, your four-legged friend needs to be vaccinated against rabies well in advance.
- Ten days before entering the European Union, the animal must be treated for worms and fleas. You should carefully ensure that the relevant information is noted in the veterinary passport.
- Not earlier than five days before leaving the country, a certificate of a clinical examination must be obtained – this can be done at a district or state veterinary clinic.
- Additionally, go through veterinary control and examination of the health of the eared traveler on the eve of departure.
When registering for the ferry, the veterinary passport and medical certificate for the animal are not requested. These documents are important when crossing the border.
The main components of the registration of the ferry are:
- Collar and leash, carrying bags for small animals, muzzle for larger ones;
- Permitting accompanying documentation;
- Calmness and great mood of your pet, and therefore all surrounding passengers &# 128578;
Basic requirements for transporting animals by ferry
Most cruise companies adhere to a specific list of established requirements for transporting dogs, cats and other animals on board.
You can get acquainted with them by visiting the company’s office, or by requesting detailed information from the travel agency through which you plan to make a cruise.
Basic requirements for the admission of animals to the liner:
- Only manual pets are allowed to be transported by water: cats, small dogs, rodents and birds of small size;
- Pet weight should not exceed seven kilograms;
- The owner is obliged to move with a friend of the tail that is in a portable basket;
- Visiting of public places with a pet is prohibited; it is possible to take a pet for a walk only on a specially designated deck.
Guide dogs are also allowed for transportation by water transport. Moreover, the accompanying four-legged assistant travels with the owner free of charge. A mandatory requirement is the presence of a collar, leash, muzzle and medical examination in the form of a veterinary passport.
Preparing a pet for a water adventure
A first aid kit for a pet is an essential attribute of a long voyage. A veterinarian may tell more about its contents.
Costumes made of moisture-resistant and wind-proof materials will be useful for heat-loving animal breeds, because in the evening or in a light storm from the cold wind and splash of waves, the pet will be able to catch a cold.
In the upcoming trip it is better to take things familiar to your little animal: home toys, a feeding trough and a litter. The pet must always be in the collar and not leave the cabin without being accompanied by its owner.
Before leaving, you should definitely ask about the conditions of feeding a four-legged friend, for example, clarify whether it is organized by the carrier, or the owner himself has to worry about the food supply during the cruise.
If you take food with you, choose those types of food, the packaging of which will not be damaged when moving, and the contents will not flow out.
The best option would be dry provisions, packaged in containers with airtight lids. This type of feed is easy to transport in transport, as it cannot be significantly damaged.
With a special dietary menu of a pet, you should request the organization of fresh products from the galley, or in advance to stock up on natural food, which can be prepared at home.
Transportation dogs on the ship
Recall that small dogs weighing up to seven kilograms are allowed for transportation by boat. During the cruise, the dog must always be near the owner in a special carrying.
The dog can only be released on a leash, having previously put a collar and a muzzle on the animal. Cleaning for a pet during the trip remains completely in your competence.
Transportation of cats on the ship
Cats, like dogs, should be carried in mesh bags. For a comfortable stay in a cage, a pet needs to purchase a carrier several sizes larger than the cat itself. Thus mustache friend will be able to comfortably accommodate inside and move freely.
It is worth noting that cats are heavier than dogs who tolerate various kinds of movement and travel. Therefore, it is no secret that the fluffy will be noticeably nervous during the trip. It is better to take sedative drops or pills to maintain the normal state of health of the animal.
Organization of a toilet for a pet
Organize your pet toilet in several ways.
- Pampers for our smaller brothers
Diapers are quite convenient to use and will not cause trouble to the owner of the four-legged animal. The tail passenger can be like a child in a diaper for several hours. After using diapers, it should be replaced with a new one and thrown into the garbage bin.
- Moisture absorbing oilcloths and diapers
If the pet is larger than the average, then you should not wear a diaper on it. The animal will be uncomfortable in squeezing pants. It will be better to use special, well absorbing liquid, diapers or oilcloths. To do this, it is necessary to determine the most convenient place and accustom your pet to it.
Another way to organize a toilet for an animal in a cabin is a double-bottomed pot. Such a design will allow the eared fish to quickly do the necessary things, without contaminating the legs. The owner should only release the tray from the contents and thoroughly wash off odors.
Additionally, special granulated sand or sawdust can be poured into the pot. This material absorbs moisture reasonably well, but it is easily transported on the fluffy paws around the perimeter of the room, therefore, in order to maintain sanitation and hygiene in the cabin, it is better to use empty trays.
Seven feet under the keel to you and your pet! &# 128578;