When deciding to travel with your pet on an airplane, owners must be prepared for a variety of restrictions.
Air travel, of course, has a number of advantages over rail or bus. And one of the most important moments is a considerable time saving. But what price will the dog and its owner have to pay for the journey with the help of modern air carriers?
Let’s understand what you need to know and what you should understand before planning a vacation or an exciting trip.
Rules for the transport of dogs on airplanes
It is important to understand that each air carrier has the right to set its own requirements or restrictions for traveling with four-legged pets.
But there are also general rules adopted throughout the territory of the Russian Federation. Among the most significant of them are:
- Mandatory notification of employees of the selected airline that in addition to regular baggage you plan to take with you a four-legged pet. It is advisable to do this in advance. After all, small companies can limit the number of places for transportation of pets. And most owners want to take their pet with them on vacation.
- Availability of the necessary package of veterinary documents. The absence of at least one of them will become an insurmountable obstacle to the coveted ladder.
It is important: It should be remembered that the dog and the plastic box or metal cage is not included in the standard that regulates the weight of free baggage. Ie for the dog and the cage or plastic box will have to pay in any case.
Transportation of dogs in the cabin
This is the most convenient and comfortable way to travel for a pet. The only condition is the small size of the dog.
Most airlines allow only representatives of miniature or decorative breeds of dogs to be transported in the cabin. All the rest will have to be content with the luggage compartment.
For air transportation of decorative and miniature pets there are a number of restrictions:
- The presence of a plastic box or container. An attempt to persuade airline employees to allow the transportation of a pet on their hands or in a bag is doomed to failure.
- Also, most companies insist that the cabin remains clean and dry after the flight. Therefore, you should make sure that the bottom of the carrying does not leak. If the pet goes to the toilet, the plastic box will provide reliable protection for the carpet of the cabin.
- The hard criterion is weight. The mass of the plastic container (box) with the dog should not exceed 8kg;
- The maximum size of a box or container in the sum of three dimensions (height, length and width) cannot be more than 115cm;
- Location of carrying with the animal. The owner will have to come to terms with the thought that he will have to hold the box on his hands, or put it on the floor of the cabin under the chair in front. Attempts to occupy the next seat (even if it is redeemed in advance) will also fail. These are the rules of transportation with which it is better not to argue, since they are designed to ensure the safety of passengers in the cabin;
- Each traveler can carry only one pet on board;
It is important: the question about the flight in the cabin with the dog should be clarified before purchasing tickets. Take a pet with you only in economy class. For the first or business class such an idea would not be feasible.
Be sure to read our article Bag for dogs. Which one to choose? In which we already wrote about the nuances of choosing a container for transporting dogs in airplanes.
Transportation of dogs in the luggage compartment
Dogs of small, medium or large size will have to be transported exclusively in the luggage compartment. And here also there are certain rules and requirements that must be followed for a comfortable journey.
Among the mandatory conditions for receiving a dog as a full baggage should include:
- Availability of veterinary documents drawn up in accordance with the requirements of the Rosselkhoznadzor;
- Cell. In a muzzle and on a leash to hold the dog on board the aircraft will not succeed.
- The size of the cage should be such that the dog, depending on its height and length, can turn and lie freely. This criterion is set to minimize the stress for the animal, and to make the flight process the safest. If the dog experiences discomfort from the minimum amount of space or unnatural posture, then sooner or later it will attempt to get out of the cage, shake it or deform it;
- The bottom of the cage must be moisture-proof to keep the boot floor clean;
The presence of double locks ensures that the pet is in the cage throughout the entire flight period;
- Sufficient ventilation is necessary for the animal to feel comfortable. This means that at least three sides must be made of metal mesh;
- Use of self-made devices is not allowed by any airline. Therefore, the owner should take care of finding a suitable box in advance.
It is important: The duty to provide the animal with water and food throughout the flight rests on the shoulders of the owner. The list of official duties of airline employees does not include feeding dogs. Or cleaning after them after the flight.
What documents are needed for transportation in an airplane?
Rosselkhoznadzor significantly simplified the list of documents required for the air transportation of pets.
Therefore, the owners will only have to:
Prepare a pet veterinary passport, which must be marked on the timely vaccination. It also indicates information about the absence of helminthic invasion (helminths), fleas and ticks.
Veterinary certificate. It must be filled in accordance with the form №1. You can get it at each clinic, but for a representative of the Rosselkhoznadzor, only the document issued by the state veterinary clinic will be valid. This moment must be considered in order not to be misled and not to miss your flight.
It is important: Obtain a Veterinary certificate in the form №1 should not earlier than 3 days before departure. The basis for the certificate is a veterinary passport of an animal presented to an employee of the state clinic with the dates of vaccination and deworming.
Of particular importance is the vaccination of an animal against rabies. Since the last injection of the vaccine should not pass more than a year.
The shortest period that has elapsed since the last vaccination cannot be less than 14 days. That is how much time is needed for the formation of intense immunity to this pathogen in a pet.
How much is a ticket for a dog on a plane?
For the pleasure of traveling with your dog by plane you will need to pay a certain amount. The cost of transporting a dog from an airline may vary significantly.
It directly depends on the flight distance, the level of the airline and many other factors. Therefore, when choosing a carrier and flight, check with the Coll-center the cost of the flight for the dog in advance.
On average, the cost of a dog’s flight is paid as the cost of non-standard baggage. This means that the dog is weighed first. In carrying, and then every kilogram is paid, as an advantage when transporting luggage. It is important to know that the baggage allowance is not counted in this case!
Tips for carrying dogs on the plane
To make the trip as comfortable as possible for your pet, you should follow a simple algorithm of actions.
Veterinary doctors recommend:
- Purchase a box or cage in advance and train the dog to be quietly in it for a certain time. Use the box as a place to transport the animal to the country or out of town.
- Take care of the availability of travel drinkers and feeders. As well as the ability to take food and water with their help.
- Lay on the floor absorbent diaper. This will facilitate the process of cleaning the box after the flight.
- Transfer the pet a few weeks before traveling to dry food. How to do this, we told in one of the previous articles.
It is important: For nervous animals with an excitable type of nervous system, a veterinarian’s consultation will be a good solution. The specialist will select a sedative that will allow the dog to calmly move the flight and being in an unfamiliar environment without a host.
Specialty Dog Transportation
Dogs and animals accompanying people with disabilities fall into this category (if the pet is a prerequisite for psychological or emotional support).
On such animals must be worn leashes and muzzles. And for the last category of dogs, it is equally important to have the appropriate document from the attending physician.
It is a certificate confirms the emotionally unstable state of the passenger and the need for the presence of an animal in the cabin.
Nuances of air travel in other countries
Experts remind that when trying to export an animal to the CIS countries, in addition to the standard set of documents, it is necessary to take care of obtaining a “export license”.
The procedure is as simple as possible for owners of dogs with pedigree. The presence of a veterinary passport, pedigree, passport holder, as well as information about the date of departure, flight and the purpose of travel will be sufficient for a quick license.
In some countries there are very strict requirements for air travel dogs. For example, in the UK and Ireland, for example, a flight for a dog is possible only in the form of CARGO transportation. Ie in the form of baggage, regardless of its size.
Special attention should be paid to the need to hire a customs broker who will meet the pet. As it is impossible to carry out this procedure on your own.
The UK insists that the animals be met only by a legal representative of a company accredited for this type of activity. Therefore, the owners are waiting for additional expenses to pay for his services.