A Bit Falls Out Of A Screwdriver What To Do
How to choose the right cordless screwdriver for your home. Choose torque, impact and drill for a drill / driver
Is it worth taking a powerful device or is it better to save money, do you need a punch or not, why do you need to work with large drills? Now we will tell you how to choose a cordless screwdriver for the house, relying on its characteristics and numbers, which are written in the technical passport of this product.
“Why goat a button accordion” or what for a cordless drill stroke function? This question is asked by many, since there are always doubts about the relevance of loading lightweight hand tools with such technologies. You pay extra about 1000 rubles and you already have a percussion screwdriver. It is heavier, more massive, but he still will not be able to make many holes in concrete, for this you need a hammer drill, and constantly depriving yourself of comfort for a couple of holes is a dubious pleasure.
Photo of a hammer drill
Now about the torque. This is already important. 14-24 Nm is suitable for the installation of lightweight structures made of drywall, plywood, OSB boards. If you need to work with thick boards, drill ceramics or concrete with a crown, then it is better to take 36 Nm. If you doubt what a good screwdriver is and which one is not. Judge from the torque, it decides a lot. If it is more than 36 Nm, then it is suitable for drilling metal and working with large drills.
Now a little about the diameter of the drill. Even if you bought a cordless screwdriver with the characteristics of a power drill, it will not replace it. Do not take tools with a torque of 80-120 Nm in the hope of working with 10-12 mm drill bits for metal. It will not pull anyway, moreover, its cost will be 5 times more than a simple cordless screwdriver and a simple power drill combined. Is it worth it?
As for revolutions per minute. This is not so important, since standard 1400 rpm is enough for everyone, and professional models that go for 2400 or more are already overkill and necessary only in very specific situations when the tool is used for non-standard solutions.
We told you which cordless drill to choose and what characteristics you need to look at. But there is one very important point. Where is the confidence that the numbers are correct? Many Chinese and even European manufacturers inflate the data to make the tool more attractive to the consumer. As a result, you read a lot of literature, ask a neighbor or friend how to choose a cordless drill / driver, buy equipment with a KM of 80 Nm, a blow, a cool battery, high revs, and you get a useless piece of iron. To do this, you still need to get acquainted with the manufacturers.
How to choose the right bits for a screwdriver. How to choose the right bit for a screwdriver, which would be enough for a long time?
The main reason for quick bit wear is poor quality and misuse. Of course, if you work with wood or assemble furniture, the question is not so acute, but when working with a professional screwdriver associated with metal or concrete, not every bit will last at least a month. There are several rules and tricks, knowing which you will use a very bad bat or head for a very long time, but more on that later in the text.
Honestly, I bought the bits in the set only once, with the very first “shurik”, this set without two bits is still lying in the box, “just in case.” Medium-quality bits are only suitable for wood. For long, red-hot self-tapping screws I buy bits individually, before starting large work. I choose hardware with which I will work and for them immediately snap. To the equipment you can take the head of the bit holder, with the help of its bit is fixed in a screwdriver and does not fall out during operation. Why there is a small chamfer on the hexagon. Bit holders are collet and magnetic:
What are the bits and heads for a screwdriver?
The heads for a screwdriver are divided according to the shape of the working part into three large groups:
Most popular bits are listed below. They are also divided into some types depending on the shape of the work element of the slot of the bit:
- Straight bits
- Cruciform bits;
- Star-shaped bits;
- Hexagonal heads;
Special bits are divided into:
- With stop limit for drywall;
- With spring clips and others.
The difference between combined and special and basic ones is that at both ends of the bits there are working parts of different shapes or the same shape, but different sizes. They cost a little more than two other types, which is not always justified. This will help to verify the study of the properties of nozzles for a screwdriver, which is discussed in detail below. However, the above classifications are not the only ones since there are several bit standards.
- Ph (short for Phillips). Cruciform bits having a conditional size from 0 to 4; characterized by the expansion of the slot to the base, as well as the angle at the apex of 55 degrees. The most popular size among buyers is Ph2;
- Pz (Pozidrive). The angle at the top is 50 degrees; products are an improved version of the previously described; differ in the presence of two or four additional slots in the base;
- Sl (Slot). Straight slot, varying in width; the number in the marking means the width of the slot;
- Torx (also found TX). A slot in the form of a hexagonal star; it is applied to designs to which the increased requirements concerning durability are imposed;
- Hex. Bit used for fastening screws with an internal hexagon; most often used in the assembly of furniture; special bits for nuts or bolts having an external hexagon and used when attaching roofing screws or press washers.
Pay particular attention to the differences between the PZ and PH bits. These are two different standards, although they are very similar. The cone angle and the slot angle are difficult to distinguish with the naked eye. The differences between these competing standards in the figure below:
Rating of well-known brands of manufacturers of bits and bits for a screwdriver
Manufacturers, whose name is heard most of the people associated with the construction or repair work, for decades of work on the Russian market have established themselves properly. Among the sought-after firms, bits are distinguished by quality:
How to choose the right electric screwdriver. What shape of a power screwdriver case is better
Choosing a network screwdriver, it is quite possible to make a rating of models for yourself based solely on the shape of the device. First of all, ease of use depends on it, and also the case of the screwdriver will partially tell about its internal filling and capabilities.
Most often, this is a sign of a budget model, especially if the case is completely made of plastic. If you disassemble such a screwdriver, you will find that the motor shaft is directly attached to the chuck. Those. The quality of work depends on the power of the engine and its smoothness. Often the owners of such devices complain about the rapid heating of the case during operation, but such a screwdriver is quite suitable for periodic short-term homework. This form of the device allows you to press the screw during twisting, which will inevitably have to be done due to the low power of the engine.
T. Shaped body
In general, this is the same device as in the form of a pistol, but the handle is shifted to the center of the case. It is generally believed that this stresses the hand less when working. It should be borne in mind that all devices have different electric motors, each with its own weight, centering and other characteristics. How much more convenient it will be for one or another model is difficult to judge without holding it in your hands.
A Bit Falls Out Of A Screwdriver What To Do
Classic drill case
This is already a sign of the class of professional devices, since the characteristic “pusiko” indicates the transfer of force to the cartridge through the gearbox. This means that the bit rotates smoother, and adjusting the number of revolutions per minute is easier. It’s also very convenient to support a screwdriver with the second hand behind the “puziko” (if there is no additional handle). This will have to be done with long work, because the weight of such devices is about 1.5-2 kg.
How to choose a home screwdriver
How to choose a cordless screwdriver. Cordless Screwdrivers
This type of tool has become more widespread. These devices are powered by batteries, the capacity and charging time of which can vary significantly.
- Independence from the availability of electricity and the location of the outlet, which gives freedom of action. Work can be performed at heights, in hard-to-reach places, and practically in the field, and the wires will not be tangled under your feet;
- The scope is wider, which follows from the autonomy and mobility of the tool.
- Dependence on the battery level, the need to constantly monitor this parameter and periodically charge the batteries. Experts recommend taking a spare battery with a cordless screwdriver: while one is charging, the second is working. It is preferable to choose batteries that charge quickly;
- In terms of power, the cordless tool loses to the network one. Torque may not be enough to work with solid materials, but there are exceptions. Professional cordless screwdrivers are quite powerful and reliable.
Professionals know that choosing a cordless screwdriver is even more difficult than a network one, because you need to take into account not only the functions of the device itself, but also the features of the battery.
The first thing you should pay attention to is the type of battery:
- Lithium-ion batteries, Li-ion. This is the most popular and modern type of battery, used everywhere, not only in screwdrivers. Among the advantages are low weight, sufficient power, the absence of a memory effect, a large resource of charge / discharge cycles (about 3000 or more), and a high charging rate. Of the minuses, the relatively high cost, so this is a good option for permanent, but not one-time work. This battery is not designed to work in cold weather. For the battery to last as long as possible, it is better not to discharge it by less than 15% and not charge it by more than 90%. Service life about 3 years;
- Nickel cadmium, Ni-Cd. They are highly resistant to low temperatures and power surges. On the other hand, they have a pronounced memory effect, so it is better to discharge such a battery fully and fully charge, so as not to reduce its capacity. The battery can withstand about 1000-1500 charge / discharge cycles, but takes a long time to charge. About 7 hours, so it is better to have a spare battery. The battery has significant weight, but it costs the least. Service life about 5 years;
- Nickel metal hydride, Ni-MH. Such batteries are becoming increasingly popular, are lightweight, low resistance to low temperatures, the memory effect is not pronounced. The big plus is the minimum self-discharge, and the minus is the price;
- Lithium-polymer batteries, Li-Pol, are rarely used in screwdrivers. These are capacious, but not very durable batteries.
How to choose the right power screwdriver
If you know how to use a screwdriver, it will not be a discovery for you that most models have an autonomous power supply. Independence from the availability of the electrical network allows you to expand the scope of the tool.
Network screwdriver device diagram.
The absence of a cord extending from a screwdriver facilitates the process of fastening parts. But in some conditions it is more practical to use a power screwdriver powered by an outlet. In this case, you can ensure continuous execution of work and increase productivity.
Differences in the functionality of the mains and cordless screwdriver
When solving the problem of how to choose a screwdriver for your home, evaluate the need to purchase a self-powered tool. Despite the mobility and maneuverability of the cordless screwdriver, stand-alone models have their drawbacks:
Battery diagram for a screwdriver.
- The battery mounted in the case increases the weight and size of the product.
- During continuous operation, the power of the screwdriver decreases due to battery discharge.
- You will have to stop working while charging the battery if you do not have a second power source. Duration of charging the batteries exceeds the period of their working condition.
- To extend the life of the tool, compliance with the charging mode and storage conditions is required.
- Battery capacity decreases after prolonged use. Sooner or later, the battery will have to be replaced.
- Nickel-cadmium batteries that withstand the largest number of charges (up to 1000) and are used more often than others are toxic and harmful to the human body.
- The cost of a cordless screwdriver is 1.5 times or more higher than a network analog with similar characteristics.
If you plan to choose a screwdriver for the home, then a tool that works from the network will cope with the tasks no worse than an autonomous one. Usually at home, maneuverability when screwing fasteners does not matter much. Professionals working with furniture and performing some types of interior decoration also prefer network screwdrivers.
Performance characteristics of a power screwdriver
Varieties of cartridges for screwdrivers.
Before choosing a screwdriver that is included in the network, you should know the main operational parameters that are relevant when using:
- Power. The productivity of the tool and its weight depend on its size.
- Torque. This characteristic determines the force applied during the rotation of the bit, and, accordingly, the material with which the screwdriver is able to work.
- Rotational speed and methods of its regulation. The indicator reflects the adaptability of the tool to work in various conditions.
- The presence of a reversing mechanism that serves to remove fasteners.
- The degree of ergonomics of the product. Ease of use, optimal weight, tactile comfort.
The most common tool power values for domestic use are in the range of 450-650 watts.
With this screwdriver, you can screw a self-tapping screw into a metal surface of small thickness. If the work is to be done with denser metal products, then it is better to choose more powerful models, but they will also cost more. The power of professional devices can be more than 850 watts. By such an indicator as maximum torque, you can judge the diameter of the screws that can be screwed in with a tool. If in the technical specifications the parameter has a value from 25 to 30 Nm, a screwdriver can screw a screw up to 70 mm long into a wooden surface. For a greater penetration depth of the fastener, the torque must be from 40 Nm or the hole is pre-drilled.
When choosing a power screwdriver, you need to pay attention to its power, which affects the performance of the tool.
To perform household tasks, 10-12 Nm of torque is enough. When working with a screwdriver with this value of the applied torsion force, it is possible to use self-tapping screws for metal and wood with ø 3.5-4 mm. A drill / driver with similar parameters drills a hole in wood ø 10-12 mm, in metal parts up to ø 8 mm. But the above ratios are rather arbitrary, the magnitude of these indicators depends on the density of the material of the parts to be bonded. Reliable manufacturers indicate in the catalogs the maximum allowable diameter of fasteners for certain models and materials to be connected. As a rule, screwdrivers create a cartridge rotation speed of up to 1,500 rpm. A tool used in everyday life can have a rotational speed of 400 rpm. This parameter is controlled by pressing the power button or by setting a fixed value with the wheel or toggle switch. For the same type of work, it is preferable to use models with the latest switching option. When working with different materials at the same time, an intuitive change in the rotation speed by the power button is more suitable.
Design features of a power screwdriver
A universal tool, a drill / driver, combines the functions of drilling parts and fixing fasteners. The screwdriver can be used to tighten self-tapping screws with cross-shaped slots and with hexagonal mounts.
The torque of the screwdriver is also important for the operation of the tool, since the rotation force of the rotating element depends on it.
Some shock-free tools have angle nozzles for working in hard-to-reach places. A mandatory part of any screwdriver is a chuck that fixes the nozzle. In the gear or key cartridge, the nozzle is fixed using a special key. Installing the nozzle in this embodiment requires some effort, but the mounting is reliable. In the chuck used, this operation is faster. Fixing is carried out using a spring mechanism. The bat can also simply be inserted into the magnetic holder until a slight click is heard. Cartridges differ in the permissible diameter of the inserted bits. For home use, a cartridge socket width of up to 20 mm is sufficient. For finishing work, for example, when installing plasterboard surfaces, it is more convenient to work with a tool with a chuck having a screw depth gauge (depth gauge). This parameter can be adjusted. Keyless three-jaw chucks are suitable for inserting accessories ø 0.5–13 mm. Hex-hole holders are designed for ¼-inch shank bits. They are convenient for frequent changes of equipment. Reverse rotation of the bit (reverse) for unscrewing the screw is usually activated by a two-position switch located next to the start button.
Additional technical aspects of screwdrivers
The advantages of a power screwdriver are: uninterrupted operation, lack of power loss, operation at maximum speed and so on.
A useful option for modern screwdrivers is the use of an impulse to increase torque with an increase in resistance to rotation. At such moments, the tool enters a mode that allows it to complete screwing by means of jerking pulses. In this case, the rotation speed decreases, and the torque is amplified. The presence of a third speed in the options of a screwdriver will fully replace the drill. In such models, in the drilling mode, the rotation speed of the chuck can be more than 3000 rpm. A lower speed creates sufficient torque for the screwdriver mode. The tool kit may include spare electrobrushes, a set of bits. Equipping devices with useful accessories improves working comfort. To work in complex structures, the tool can be supplemented with a backlight function. The tool will be protected from falling from a stepladder or goats if there is a fixing belt or holder for it on the case. When buying a screwdriver, do not forget about the compatibility of the tool plug and sockets in your home.
Trying to choose a screwdriver, consider the moment, which seems unimportant. Taking a screwdriver with a thoughtful shape of the handle, you can feel its organic interaction with the muscles of the hand (sits like a glove). With prolonged use of the tool, the hand will be less tired. When purchasing this or that model for the home, you should not focus on products of branded manufacturers, since you can use a screwdriver in a domestic environment using only its main functionality. Additional features of the tool are required only when performing professional tasks.