Al-Ko Lawn Mower Oil Change Frequency
Road transport operation
- All articles (sitemap)
4. Frequency of oil change.
Oil change intervals.
The option of timing the replacement of engine oil in domestic cars is being considered.
For each car, the manufacturer issues a manual for the car and a service book.
The owner’s manual lists the brand of motor oil used for this model. These data are in the sections “Lubrication Map” and / or “Consumables”. If the manual for passenger cars indicates only viscosity classes and the level of performance and does not indicate oil brands, it is recommended that you additionally purchase a book with more extensive material, namely the “Repair, Operation, and Maintenance Manual” of a particular vehicle.
The service book provides information about the first (after running-in) oil change and the further frequency of oil change during car operation.
In service books and car operating manuals, the frequency standards in kilometers of run at which the oil is replaced are mainly given for the 1st category of operation (roads outside the suburban area on a flat, slightly hilly and hilly terrain with cement concrete and asphalt concrete pavement).
In other operating conditions, correction factors are applied to the frequency standards that reduce the mileage for changing the oil.
Example. For streets of big cities, the correction factor is 0.8; for natural unpaved roads. 0.6 (Regulation on maintenance and repair of rolling stock of motor vehicles).
1. A new car. First oil change (initial period of operation).
The first oil change is made after break-in new car.
For cars. Within 2000. 3000 km mileage depending on the brand of car.
For trucks. Through 1000 km run.
Correction factors are not applied.
2. A new car.
The second oil change (initial period of operation).
In cars, the second oil change is made through the mileage set for the main period of operation, reduced by 2500 km.
Example. Niva Chevrolet. Oil change during the main operation period after 15000 km. Then the second oil change will be through 12500 km without coefficient, with a coefficient of 0.8 for the city. 10 thousand km.
3. For trucks, the frequency of the second change coincides with the frequency of the oil change during the main period of operation.
For the 1st category of operation, it is performed every 8,000 km (ZIL-5301), 10,000 km (GAZ-3307.3309, Gazel cars), 16,000 km (MAZ-5337.53371 cars), 10,000 km (MAZ-5551), etc. D. According to service books.
4. Oil change during the main period of operation of the car.
For cars through 15,000 km (VAZ cars) for the 1st category of operation, with a coefficient of 0.8. 12000 km. For trucks. According to section 3.
5. If seasonal oils (winter, summer) are used, then the oil is replaced twice a year. In autumn and spring. The best option is coincidence of the standard mileage for changing the oil with the actual mileage in the summer (winter) period.
6. The need for an oil change, in addition to the mileage, is also confirmed by an oil analysis using the drip test (a drop of oil from the dipstick from a warm engine is applied to the paper). Normal working oil spreads over the paper to form a wide circle with several zones. The lighter and more uniform the color of the kernel, the more efficient the oil. With the growth of mechanical impurities, the core darkens and the oil changes until a black color appears in the center of the spot. This method is described in more detail in specialized publications.
7. During the operation of the car, oil is burned. Periodically, the oil level in the engine sump should be checked with an oil dipstick. If necessary, top up oils of the same brand. At the same time, the condition (quality) of the oil is checked for its further use by the color of the oil on the dipstick and then on the basis of a drop sample.
8. When changing the oil, the oil filters are replaced and the centrifuge is cleaned.
- Oil function
- Which is better to choose?
- Replacement Recommendations
It is rare that a private home owner can do without a lawn mower. You may not even have a lawn that needs regular maintenance, but use a lawn mower. This technique, like any other, needs periodic maintenance, for example, an oil change. Each owner of a lawn mower needs to know which liquid can be used for these purposes, how to choose it and pour it into the unit.
Lawn mower lubricant must be carefully selected and high-quality oils preferred. If you save on this consumable liquid, then it will not perform its functions to the full extent, the lawn mower will fail in a short time and will require expensive repairs. The oil used in the lawn mower performs an important task. The following functions are assigned to it:
- Lubrication of parts that experience high friction in the process;
- Removal of thermal energy from heated parts;
- Reduced motor wear;
- Minimizing the development of such negative phenomena as deposits of various types, the formation of soot and varnish;
- Protection of parts against formation and corrosion;
- Reduction in toxicity of exhaust gaseous substances;
- Smoke minimization.
The engine of the lawn mower is significantly different from that which is installed in auto and motorcycle equipment. Therefore, lubricating fluids for these units must be used different. Do not replace one oil with another. The implications for technology can be the most unpredictable.
In the engine of a lawnmower, the crankshaft is responsible for the distribution of oil. Fluid is drawn from the crankcase with parts that resemble spoons in shape. The speed of their movement is enormous. Such design features of the motor require the use of oil, which contains high-quality additives. These components reduce the ability of the working fluid to foam and become more viscous from heat.
To choose the right fluid for gardening equipment and always know what to buy, you need to study the existing varieties of oils. First of all, technical oil liquids are separated by chemical composition.
- Mineral oils are created on the basis of oil products. Such liquids are viscous and must change frequently. They are designed for low power motors. Most recommended for summer use.
- Synthetic fluids special synthetic substances containing esters are used as a basis. Viscosity is low, high life and year-round use. No other kind of lubricant can boast such high performance. Such fluids are ideal for complex equipment that is operated in harsh conditions.
- Semi synthetic motor oil It is created from substances of the mineral and synthetic type. Such oils are the middle option between the two previous fluids. Semi-synthetic oils are ideal for gardening and park equipment, two- and four-stroke engines.
There are several more classifications based on different requirements. The most common API classification. It is supported by different countries and many manufacturers. According to this classification, all motor oils are divided into the following varieties:
- Ta is the best option for household appliances with engines up to 50 cc. Cm;
- Tb is intended for equipment with greater power, equipped with a motor capacity of more than 50, but less than 200 cubic meters. Cm;
- Tc is an oil that is intended for motors with high demands on the quality of the lubricating fluid, such oil can be safely poured into lawn mowers;
- Td is designed for outboard motors that are equipped with liquid cooling.
Due to its 20% solvent composition, the double-contact type oil mixes well with automotive fuel. In addition, such liquids are able to completely burn. Lubricants can be painted in various colors. Staining does not mean oil quality. Its function is different. It is easier for the user to distinguish a lubricant from a fuel.
When choosing oil, great attention should be paid to its manufacturer. It is better to choose the brand advised by the manufacturer of the lawn mower. In the instructions for the technique you can find information about the filled oil, the frequency of its replacement and recommendations regarding the choice of working fluid.
Also, many manufacturers of lawn mowers produce their own oils, which will have to be used to replace if you want to maintain a warranty on the equipment. In addition, the instructions give general characteristics to which the oil must comply. When choosing a fluid to replace, you need to focus on this list. This will allow you to choose the oil that will most closely meet the requirements of the manufacturer.
- Among all the companies that present their products on the Russian market, the best is Shell Helix Ultra. These oils are popular in all countries. Shell experts have been working for 40 years to create a unique technology for producing synthetic-type oils from natural gas. The resulting product is characterized by an improved composition, analogues to which at this moment does not exist. The manufacturer adds the necessary additives to the base composition, which allows to obtain products with different characteristics. Such oil needs to be bought only at specialized points of sale, since base fakes are often found.
- The company also presents quality products. Liqui moly. The manufacturer produces several product lines that have different purposes. This assortment contains products for the maintenance of garden equipment. Such oils are designed for long-term operation of trimmers and lawn mowers, their technical characteristics are developed in accordance with the features of modern technology and manufacturers’ recommendations.
Liqui Moly adds additive packages to lawnmower oils that are needed to reduce equipment wear and keep the engine clean. The main advantage of such fluids is environmental friendliness, because they are created on a plant basis. Liqui Moly Lawnmower Oils comply with all environmental standards.
Rasenmaher Company produces a good mineral type lubricant that has been specifically developed for garden machines. This tool can be used to service 4-stroke motors with different cooling systems. Rasenmaher can only be used at positive temperatures. The manufacturer carefully developed and selected additives for his product. The result of such actions was a wide list of functionality:
- Maintaining the pressure in the system at a stable level;
- Effective lubrication of all parts that need it;
- Preservation of the viscosity of the lubricant over the full service life, up to the next change;
- Providing excellent protection for the engine from natural wear;
- Minimum level of evaporation.
Which is better to choose?
Choosing the right mower oil is based on a large number of factors that must be followed. It doesn’t matter if a lubricant is selected for a gasoline or a self-propelled lawn mower, the first oil that comes in cannot be used. It is also forbidden to choose the most expensive oil or the most popular. The lubricant must be fully suited to the requirements of your mower.
- By viscosity the oil is selected in accordance with the temperature conditions that are characteristic for the operation of garden equipment. For summer, when the ambient temperature reaches 30 degrees, it is advisable to use oil from the SAE-30 series. For off-season, it is recommended to use 10W-30 series oil. At low temperatures, Synthetic 5W-30 fluid works well.
- For 2-stroke engines it is necessary to use a mixture of oil and high-octane gasoline in the ratio recommended by the manufacturer of the equipment. Usually the ratio is 1/25. According to these figures, 25 ml of gasoline is added for every milliliter of oil. There are exceptions, so you need to study the instructions for the lawn mower.
- In the case of four-stroke motors mixing liquids is not required. Optimally suitable for such mechanisms is a simple automotive fluid. It can be SAE30, 10W40 or SF. The main thing is that the technical and operational properties are suitable for the list recommended by the manufacturer. For winter use, the fluid must be chosen with frost-resistant properties.
You can not experiment and use oil that is not suitable for an existing motor. There is a huge difference between the fluids that are used for different types of motors. For example, a four-stroke type engine fluid should retain its composition for a long time. Oil for two-stroke engines should have a minimum amount of mineral components, which will prevent the formation of soot.
It is important not only to choose high-quality oil, which in its characteristics will be suitable for your equipment. You also need to know how to properly fill it in a lawn mower. The rules are simple, but binding:
- Turn on the unit and warm the engine idle for a quarter of an hour;
- Remove the cork from the tank and substitute the capacity of the required volume to collect the spent liquid;
- Tilt the lawn mower and drain the waste material;
- We twist the cork, put the unit on the most even surface. After that, you can open the hole on top;
- We fill in a new working fluid, observing the recommendations of the manufacturer of the equipment regarding the volume, it is convenient to check the fluid level with a dipstick;
- When the amount of fluid has reached the desired volume, you can twist the plug.
In most cases, about 500 ml of fresh oil should be used to replace waste fluid. This norm corresponds to most of the units that are common in Russia. Exceptions, of course, are encountered, so you need to study the instructions before performing a replacement of waste fluid.
If your lawnmower is equipped with a two-stroke engine, and this indicates the need to mix the lubricating fluid with gasoline, you must do this immediately before replacing. It is impossible to make such a composition with a margin, because due to a chemical reaction the mixture loses its properties. The approximate shelf life is not more than a month. Only components from such actions will be spoiled.
See the next for how to change the oil in the mower.