Can a drill drill through a concrete wall?
How to drill concrete with a drill?
Each of us has repeatedly encountered the need to mount various objects on the walls, which add variety to the interior, create comfort, or just remind of pleasant moments of life. Most often it is necessary to mount lamps and lamps, pictures and photos, mirrors and shelves, to install the air conditioner or TV set on the concrete surface. If in the case of a small picture or a photo one can do with hammering a nail into the wall, then when the question is about more massive and heavy objects the question of drilling holes arises. To avoid misunderstandings when working with concrete, for example, drill breakage, blunting of the same, it is worth competent to prepare the partition, choose a quality tool and correctly select the drill.
Choice of tool and work with it
When choosing a tool to drill a hole, you should understand that your work depends on it. A good drill accurately drills a concrete wall, or other desired material, simplifies the drilling process, while a bad drill will require more time, may fail, or complicate the task. What you need to pay attention to when choosing a drill:
- Is it possible to change the drilling speed??. this point is important because adjusting the speed setting will ensure that the drill works accurately, helping it not damage the surface.
- Whether it has impact drilling and depth control?. Impact drilling can be used on problematic areas by softening them.
- Is it possible to hold the drill with both hands??. A drill is not a light instrument and for this reason you should prefer models that are equipped with handles.
- Is the power of the tool satisfactory for your work?
After deciding on a drill, before you start work you need to get used to holding it. To do this, take the drill in one hand like a gun, the second hand is placed on the handle of the tool (if it is not supposed to the design, the hand is placed near the chuck). the drill must be held strictly horizontally in the hand, so that the hole is not obtained with misalignment and at the wrong angle. Before turning on the drill, wait until it becomes ambient temperature. Sharp temperature fluctuations can provoke condensation. If you decide to rest during work. unplug the tool.
Selecting the tool
Drills are divided into several types: they differ both by the manufacturer and by functionality. The main thing is that the tool can do the basic tasks, so that the concrete surface is neatly drilled. To do this, you should pay attention to the following points when choosing a drill:
- impact drilling and depth adjustment: help you cope with drilling in problem areas;
- number of speeds: this will determine the intensity of work;
- power: it should be enough to drill holes in concrete quickly and accurately;
- Comfortable with the tool: the drill should be easy to hold, so that you can work with it for a long time, if necessary.
It is by these criteria and it is necessary to choose a tool.
Preparation of the surface
The surface should be carefully prepared before drilling. At the site of the work should be free of wires and other elements that can be dangerous if the drill hits them. So it is best to use a metal detector to make sure there are no cables.
After carefully checking the walls and any other concrete surface it is necessary to choose a point where the hole will be drilled. It should be marked with a marker or pencil, and then carefully drilled a small notch. This is important so that you can work more easily later. At this point the preparatory stage can be considered complete.
How to drill holes in concrete
Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to the creation of this article, and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of the editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
Number of references used in this article: 9. You will find a list of them at the bottom of this page.
Number of views on this article: 73 279.
Knowing how to drill holes in concrete is a fairly useful and handy skill. With it, you can easily hang shelves, hang pictures, install light fixtures and do a lot more work around the house in a quick and safe way. The process of drilling concrete is simple enough, but with the right tools and understanding of the principles of the work you will save yourself a huge amount of time.
- In the case of buying a tool, it is usually reasonable to pay more money for a more powerful peorator (with impact force of not less than 7-10 J) of a well-known brand.  X Source of information Other useful parameters to consider include variable speed, adjustable drilling depth, easy tool grip, and the availability of a second grip.
- Observe safety precautions. Wear safety glasses to prevent concrete chips from getting into your eyes, earplugs to prevent damage to your ears, and thick work gloves to protect your hands from excessive friction and work-hot drills. For prolonged work that generates a lot of dust, it is also recommended to wear a respirator.
- Special drill bits, or so-called drills, marked SDS or SDS-MAX (for drilling holes up to 1.5 cm in diameter) or punch drill bits (for holes of 2 cm or more in diameter) must be used for the perforators.  X
- Reinforced concrete is much more difficult to drill if the depth of the hole must be greater than the depth of the steel reinforcement in the concrete. Replace the concrete drill bit with a metal drill bit as soon as it reaches the rebar.  X Source of information Slow down and stop periodically during operation to avoid overheating the drill bit.
- Concrete is a very hard and dense material, so a hole 2.5 cm deep will be enough to install dowels and screws to hang light objects in the wall. Heavier objects require longer dowel-type screws or even anchors, the minimum insertion depth of which should be indicated on the packaging.
- Increase the hole depth you require by 5 mm to make sure there is room for any dust that may have accumulated during drilling. [This is not necessary if you intend to dedust the hole afterwards (read more about this below).  X Source of information
- When working with hollow concrete blocks or thin concrete surfaces, always refer to the instructions for the fasteners used. Some plastic anchors require strong support along their entire length and can simply fall out if inserted into a through hole in a thin wall.
Hold the drill correctly. Hold the drill with one hand like a gun, with your index finger on the trigger. If your drill has an extra handle, use your other hand to grab the extra handle and use it to get a better grip. Otherwise simply hold the drill from underneath with your other hand and bring it to the back of the body.
Mark the spot for drilling. Mark the spot on the wall where you want to drill with a soft pencil or cross.
- If your project calls for a large-diameter bit, consider using a smaller-diameter bit for the pilot hole. This helps stabilize the core drill while you work.  X Source of information
- Apply enough pressure on the drill to keep it in position, but do not push it too far forward (this increases wear and tear on the drill bit and can cause it to break). How hard to push the drill, you will understand from your own practical experience.
- Periodically turn off the drill and remove it from the hole to allow the tool to cool for a few seconds. This applies especially to conventional drills without a percussion function, because they easily overheat from prolonged work.
Selecting a drill bit: expert tips
On the correct selection of the nozzle depends on the quality of the work performed, its safety. On sale are drills for work on different material. metal, wood, concrete. To drill a monolithic material, nozzles are used with a characteristic feature. they have a triangular-shaped tip made of carbide. Drills made of pobedite. a material with a hardness similar to that of diamond, installed in an ordinary drill, pass into the concrete without destroying it.
Depending on the type of the required hole, the drill bit is selected.
When the nozzle stalls during drilling and does not go forward, use a drill bit to overcome the seals. It is placed in the notch, begin to easily hit it with a hammer, rotating it left and right and moving it back and forth. When the problem area has softened, continue drilling with the drill. Such areas can easily pass the drill, but its design does not allow to make holes smaller than 13 mm in diameter. When using multi-purpose drills, the vibration mode should be turned off, and they should be periodically cooled. Such nozzles are suitable for a drill of simple design. Diamond drill bits. a quality, strong, durable, durable, but expensive material.
Before carrying out work with a drill on the concrete surface of the walls must determine the location of electrical cables inside the monolith, metal pipes, embedded elements of the armature. For “exploration” use a metal detector. it will determine the exact location of non-ferrous and ferrous metals. If this point is not followed, you could damage or break the drill bit, cables, or pipes. When it is clear that the wall area is suitable for these activities, the point is marked on the surface with a punch, and then the hole is drilled at low speed. Need to know. the upper layers of concrete are loose, they can crumble.
If during drilling you hear an unusual sound of contact with the metal, it means that the nozzle has encountered reinforcement. To prevent dulling of the drill, stop the activity.
Rules of the game: tips
The safety rules and general recommendations should be followed when working with the tools:
- 1) Protect your respiratory system when working as dust is harmful.
- 2) If you work outside, you need to put fences at 2.5 meters.
- 3) When working at heights higher than 1.5 meters, use a solid base. scaffolding or a trestle.
- 4) While working with the tool, it is necessary to turn on the rotation slowly, and in no case, you can not turn it off when it is in the body of the wall.
- 5) When drilling through plaster, carefully examine the utilities plan so as not to hit anything.
- 6) It is strictly forbidden to drill through decorative surfaces.
- 7) Choose the right drill bits for each surface.
- 8) Wet the drill bit with water so that it does not overheat.
What can be used to caulk a large drilled wall
You can fill unnecessary holes in the wall with a special construction compound. It provides strength and durability. Choose the composition depending on the area and type of defect.
With the help of putty it is possible to level the surface, including concrete. There are several kinds of putty:
- cement-based. used in external and internal finishing, suitable for concrete. Durable and moisture-resistant. Dries for a long time and often meshes, requiring re-application;
- Plaster. used in dry places, not resistant to water and afraid of temperature changes. It does not crack when applied, so it can be applied immediately in a thick layer;
- Acrylic. finish. Applied in a thin layer, so it is suitable for small defects.
None of the mixes are used for caulking through holes.
Assembling foam is a universal material. It comes in one-component (used without preparation) and two-component (a mixer or a spray gun is used when using it).
The foam increases in volume when applied and fills the space needed. Cures and gives a good density. Deep holes can be reworked.
Repair compound is suitable for repairing large defects. It has good adhesion, frost resistance, strength and durability.
When deciding to make a hole, carefully read the rules and recommendations. Choose the right tool for the job, depending on the surface composition and the drill bits. If you are not confident in your own skills, then trust the work to professionals.
Is it possible to drill concrete with an electric screwdriver?
To answer this question, you need to know what material you need to drill holes in, what depth and diameter. Holes with a diameter of 10 mm or more are difficult to be drilled with an electric screwdriver. But if the drill bit is thin (3-5 mm), then it is possible to drill with an electric screwdriver with such elements. Drill bit speed affects the ability to drill in hard materials. For screwing in is suitable figure of 500 rpm./minute, and it is possible to drill concrete with a tool with a head rotation speed of 1300-1500 rpm./min. The torque is equally important, namely, how much force is applied to tighten the screws or the drilling process. For concrete choose an electric screwdriver with power of 140 N/m, using it in the working extreme position of the clutch at maximum power.
The design of an electric screwdriver consists of the following elements:
- Pistol-shaped handle (for working with the leading hand);
- electric motor;
- chuck for locking the bits;
- The limiter is a button that starts and adjusts the rotation;
- Gear (reduction gear), which transmits the rotation from the motor to the shaft;
- battery to supply power and constant voltage to the motor.
- Cordless. Self-contained by internal battery.
- Corded. Electrical power must be available when using. This power tool is much more powerful and less expensive than the cordless type.
The battery type loses capacity when discharged, so you have to charge the tool every time before working according to the instructions. Submersible screwdrivers don’t have this problem because they are connected to the mains with a cable. For drilling in concrete, the unit is equipped with an impact drilling function with a head rotation side switch. reverse and reverse. The second mode is used for demolition. To drill holes in concrete, the models are equipped with a torque adjustment function. This is to keep the spline and replacement bits in good condition.
Advantages of impact drills on concrete
List of advantages of this class of tools:
- autonomy and the ability to hold a charge for a long time (in models with no mains cable);
- easy drilling in tough materials;
- Adjustment of drilling speed;
- power capacity and power, represented by varieties for each specific type of work
- safe use thanks to low voltage, even in wet or open site conditions;
- the ability to work in hard-to-reach and remote places from utilities;
- storage in a special case.
The main parameter that characterizes the device when choosing is the power with which it works and the number of revolutions of the drill per minute. higher rpm the better.
How to choose a tool?
work requires a peorator or drill with an impact function and drills with pobedite tips. Impact drill combines rotational with reciprocating motion, which helps it perfectly copes with lightweight concrete, and the question of how to drill a concrete wall, which is a carrier, there is a simple answer. the best helper will be peorator, whose main purpose is piercing concrete fences. There is another difference:
Drill into the body of the concrete wall reinforcement should be done with a drill bit on metal.
Can an electric screwdriver drill through a concrete wall?
” Articles ” Is it possible to drill concrete with an electric screwdriver
During many construction processes, the need to drill in concrete arises. The right tool for such a task is an electric screwdriver.
Can you drill with an electric screwdriver?. EcommerceMarket.ru
There is a wide variety of screwdrivers offered by manufacturers. Almost everyone can choose a tool to suit their financial capabilities and technical requirements. The electric screwdriver is increasingly common in the home workshop. That’s why we have questions about what else we can do with a screwdriver. Today we understand if you can drill with an electric screwdriver?
Specialists do not recommend working with concrete. Even a drill with good specifications may not pick up such hard material.
But if your model has a hammer function, you can try to drive thin concrete, stone or brick. As a rule, modern buildings are built of aerated concrete or sand-lime brick.
Such surfaces can be drilled with the most common model that does not include a hammer function. The main thing is to use the right drill bit.
What an electric screwdriver can do without problems? If you plan to work with wood, plaster, metal or plywood, you can safely pull out the tool. It will not only help tighten screws, but also come in handy for drilling.
In order to safely use a device for drilling, you should choose it correctly. What to look out for? If you want it always ready to work, buy a mains or cordless device, but with a spare battery.
The ability to drill different materials is influenced by the speed of rotation. For example, a speed of 500 rpm is sufficient for screwing./min. For the drilling function the speed should reach up to 1300 rpm. It is also important to pay attention to the torque.
If it is small, then such an electric screwdriver is only suitable for drilling wood.
To summarize, it is safe to say that you can drill with an electric screwdriver. Modern models can cope with almost any surface. Even with thin concrete or brick. If you’re just picking up a new tool model, take our advice.
Can I drill concrete with a drill bit??
- Even with a concrete wall, many home masters wonder how to hang a painting without drilling. You can do this in several ways. If the partition has a finish in the form of wallpaper, you can stick a sewing needle there, on which the picture is hung.
- In order the work was easy, and the master did not strain his hands, should practice how to hold the drill. The tool is taken in one hand according to the principle of gripping a gun. The second hand is placed on the handle, if there is one. Keep your fingers close to the cartridge.
Warning! Quite often a drill is chosen when making holes in the concrete, but it is important to remember that this tool is not designed for such work. This is because the bearings, gearbox and motor are highly stressed. In this regard, the equipment should be used with caution so that it does not fail under high loads.
Specialist’s Комментарии и мнения владельцев
Now you know how and with what to make a hole in the wall, but if you have no experience in such works. first ask someone from the more experienced acquaintances to teach you how to handle the equipment, otherwise the wall and the tool can become much less functional than they were before the work began.
Also remember that although our grandfathers and great grandfathers were able to carry out repairs of any kind and complexity with a hammer, we still live in a time of peace, when the lack of tools is not felt. Therefore, if you have decided to get a hole in the wall, but you only have a low-powered drill without a punch function at hand, you should not torture the walls and the machine, and it is better to wait a bit and ask friends for a peorator. you will surely be lucky. Oh yes, if you live in an apartment building and you are familiar with such a nuisance as the presence of neighbors, then be merciful to them and do not start your exercises with the drill with the first roosters. they will be grateful to you.
Read also: Drills for tiles in the bathroom
Sooner or later, most people who live in homes with concrete walls have the need to hang a cabinet, lamp, shelf or picture. At this point, there is an urgent question of how to drill a concrete wall. It’s no secret that every home handyman at least once in his life has faced this problem, but not everyone knows how to solve it. Many bravely torture the drill and their own forces, but, not achieving the desired result, abandon everything until the next attempt to make a hole in the wall. But eventually the drill breaks down, and the shelves remain standing somewhere in the corner of the room or gathering dust in the storeroom. But there are still options. you just need to know them and be able to use them.