Can I Cut Metal by Welding
Among automotive repair kit items, very often you can see cold welding for metals. This is not surprising, because on a long journey you can get a hole in the gas tank, radiator, or other similar trouble can occur. In this situation, cold welding can be a salvation. However, at home, there is work to do for cold welding. Consider what this repair compound is and how to use cold welding.
Cold welding for metal
At its core, cold welding is a special composite polymer that has high adhesion to various materials (in our review for metals). Simply put, cold welding is an adhesive that has the ability to quickly harden. However, it does not enter into a reaction process with motor oils, gasoline and diesel fuel.
Glue is made in two types:
- Liquid composition. It is made on the basis of epoxy resin, which, when mixed with the hardener, begins to gradually harden. The resin can be combined with any substrate or various reinforcing elements (fiberglass, metal mesh). After applying the resin, you can not be afraid of wet secretions, the appearance of a pungent odor or harmful substances.
- Plastic composition. Is a special type of putty. Externally, it is a two-layer whetstone. Or it can be sold in the form of two single-layer whetstones. In appearance, the plastic composition is very similar to ordinary children’s plasticine.
The choice of quality cold welding for metal
Choosing a repair composition home or on a long journey, it is necessary consider the following important factors:
- What types of surface the adhesive can glue;
- In what temperature range does the repair mixture work;
- You should carefully study the instructions and recommendations for use.
When purchasing welding, it is worth giving preference to reliable manufacturers who have proven themselves well. Such as the:
Brand Names are not cheap, however, they will not fail in a difficult situation.
To learn how to use cold welding correctly, you can carefully read the article further.
Cold welding for metal: instruction
Repair composition is widely used in everyday life. For example, glues ceramics easily. With it, you can seal a leak in the pipes.
In auto repair, when trouble caught in traveling conditions, it is simply irreplaceable. Cold welding can stick loose or broken metal parts. With it, you can repair damage in the radiator, fuel tank, muffler, crankcase, pan and other elements. For auto repair is often used. Plastic composition. Although sometimes liquid is also used, because its strength is higher than plastic.
When repairing parts of a car by welding, it is important that you do not need to drain gasoline, diesel fuel or oil. The fault is repaired, as they say, in place. This is possible because the repair compound does not react with chemicals, quickly solidifies and is easy to use.
To close a crack in a tank, muffler or drip pan, the same repair approach is usually used. One action scheme. It is important to follow the main stages of work.
- First, prepare the surface. To do this, the metal is cleaned with sandpaper. If repairs are made in the field, then you can do without it. However, the adhesive on the previously cleaned surface will last longer. This is due to small scratches and roughness, providing better adhesion of the adhesive to the metal surface.
- Next, the working surface should be degreased. This can be done with anti-silicone, but regular gasoline can also be used. Dipping a cloth in it, you should wipe the surface of the metal.
- Preparation for repair operations. Depending on the type of welding used, it is either squeezed out of a tube or cut off from a bar. Then the composition should either be stirred or kneaded until smooth. The mixture is usually slightly heated. To work with cold welding does not require any special skills. Just instructions that are always attached to the repair composition.
- The process of applying the composition. Damage is sealed with glue, after which the surface is leveled. The operation should be carried out as quickly as possible, because some types of cold welding harden in a few minutes.
Can I Cut Metal by Welding
Complete drying of the composition can occur in different ways: from hour to day. Of course, on the road this is not always possible. Therefore, it is enough to wait twenty minutes for the initial solidification. This is enough to get to the nearest repair point.
Application of cold welding for metal
Work with the repair staff significantly simplifies the knowledge of some nuances.
- Liquid formulations in syringes. When pressed, the adhesive and hardener flow out simultaneously and mix. However, such a composition should not be applied immediately. Squeeze a little into the container and then mix again.
- The amount of composition. The composition should be prepared in small portions. Welding initially sets in 5-20 minutes, therefore, having prepared a large portion of the composition, you may not have time to use it.
- Plastic and wood. To bond such heterogeneous materials, cold welding for metals can also be used, which is usually mentioned in the instructions.
- Surface cleaning and degreasing. As mentioned above, this is not necessary at all, because modern welding is glued to the oily plane. However, work with welding on a cleaned surface guarantees a better repair result.
- Load. While the repair compound on the repaired area is not completely dry, it is highly undesirable to have any mechanical stress on it.
- Quality of work. It consists in thorough and accurate measurement of the amount of welding and hardener to create a repair mixture. The mixture should be mixed with extreme care.
- Gloves. Due to the negative effects of some components of welding on human skin, gloves should be worn during operation.
Popular cold welding manufacturers
From the variety of manufacturers and brands, you can recommend the following brands of repair mixtures.
The product is an American manufacturer of high class. Outwardly, it looks like a bar of two-component putty, packed in a cylindrical plastic container. The weight of the tank is about 57 g. Due to the fact that the composition of welding, in addition to plasticizer and hardener, also includes metal filler, It can be used to repair automotive parts:
- Fuel tank;
- Silencer, etc.
In addition to car repair, the composition is quite applicable in everyday life. For example, for closing holes in a metal-plastic or metal pipe. With it, you can repair the aquarium, tools and much more.
Guaranteed connection at temperature 50 to 150 degrees.
It differs by the speed of hardening and provides maximum adhesion of surfaces. Parts repaired by him can be machined. Drilled or cut.
Welding developed exclusively for car repair. Repair cracks in tanks, silencers, etc. Often used to fasten the nameplate. The emblem of the manufacturer. It consists of epoxy resin and filler on a natural or metal basis.
In addition to the above brands, there are a few more:
All of them are able to provide a reliable connection even under water.
It follows from the domestic practice and experience of many drivers that cold welding can provide very reliable bonding of surfaces. But still do not forget that welding is inherently is just epoxy glue and is not a panacea for serious damage. Therefore, you should not use cold welding to repair key mechanical components both at home and in the car.