Can I Sharpen Skates Angle Grinder
An excellent game or performance on skates is possible only with a properly sharpened blade. The ability to perform sliding, stopping, curly parts, and stability depends on the quality of the point. This question is very serious. But what types and methods exist? Is a manual sharpener suitable for skates? What are the standard grooves?
When the time has come
Circumstances indicating that it is time to sharpen:
- Sports shoes recently purchased and do not have a characteristic groove;
- At the moment of acceleration, slippage becomes more frequent;
- On a bend, the blade tears to one side.
Types of sharpening
There are only three of the most common types:
- Standard. Sharpen in the form of a semicircle, the channel is rounded inside. The size of the groove is individual, corresponds to the weight of the athlete’s body, the quality of the ice, for the hockey player. The game location, for figure skating. Jumps will be performed or not.
- Channel z It has two grooves: semicircular, and in it square. How much the radius should be, is selected according to the same parameters as the standard, but with a lower coefficient. The inner second trough does not create resistance without maneuver, but only helps in the process of manipulating the rink.
- Fbv. The channel of the gutter has a trapezoidal shape. The superiority of this species in hard grip with ice and good stability. The disadvantage is very fast wear.
- A tool for working on the composition must be harder than runners;
- The thickness of the ribs after should be uniform;
- The goal is to support the primary configuration;
- Sharpening occurs at an angle of 90 degrees.
Ways to grind
The easiest way to sharpen a rib with the help of a professional on special equipment. But sometimes you need to learn how to use the device for sharpening skates with your own hands.
You can sharpen the tip of sports equipment yourself in several ways.
Using a Needle File
For work, you will need a file of round shape and the desired diameter, a block of wood for sharpening skates of a U-shape, a vise. The file is manually inserted inside the tree, the skates are clamped with a vise. The bar is installed in front, and the contours of the gutter are outlined by moving backwards. The recess is sharpened to the required depth, after which all burrs are removed with a file.
Using a grinding wheel
A necessary tool: an angle grinder with a grinding wheel, the width of the groove itself, the clamp. The horse is fixed, the contours of the intended groove are drawn. They begin to work in front, adjusting the depth.
The world famous firms Decathlon and Nordway have created additional accessories designed for straightening, sharpening, removing rust on skates. Due to their compact size, they are convenient to use and always carry. The Nordway brand ice skate sharpener includes plastic and whetstone, while Decathlon uses ceramic materials.
Dice for sharpening skates. A device for home sharpening “in a straight line” (used in Russian hockey with a ball).
There are times when, instead of acceleration, there is slipping on ice and “jumping out” of the intended trajectory. This is usually due to a blunted blade. Quickly solve the problem will help:
- Settlement for skates. Removes burrs;
- Slingshot for skates. Restores the obstructed edges of the gutter.
On the machine
Of course, there is no substitute for a machine point. There is not one version of machines made for this purpose. The most popular and economical option is SZK-1. It is used in ice skating for hockey and figure skating.
There is an option to make a homemade machine from a converted electric planer. To do this, replace the knife in the power tool with an emery disc for sharpening the skates.
Attention! There is no need to sharpen an edge too often. Each blade has its own limitations, which means that a regular sharpening process shortens the tip’s lifespan.
Table of standard hockey grooves
Important sharpening requirements
In correct sharpening, the following errors must be avoided:
- Differently made internal and external parts of the blade upset the balance on ice and balance.
- The amount of steel removed is not the same in all areas. Loss of balance and blade will lose support.
- The profile and radius of the gutter are incorrect. It leads to poor ride quality and loss of control.
- Blade sharpening should move forward using a European style, providing reduced friction and improved ride quality.
- High speed is obtained by combining various profile and groove radii.
- Each specific sharpening is used for a specific riding style. For example, a binary gutter was introduced specifically for the “butterfly”, which requires good traction with ice, urgent movements in different directions, and a change in vertical positions. Sliding movements are achieved by different sharpening in the place of the toe or heel and the middle (there the sharpening is dumber and sharper at the edges).
- Excessively aggressive sharpening in the nose area is dangerous for reversing.
Finishing skates ready
In order to ultimately achieve sharpness and the desired radius, the blade must be completely processed. There are several variations:
- A special abrasive bar removes all burrs.
- A polishing stone destroys all particles remaining from grinding.
- A rough lapping stone is polished at the desired angle of the edge of the blade. If you use special oil, the friction force of the blade on ice and the mass of stuck snow will decrease.
Checking the work done
You can evaluate the correctness of sharpened blades as follows:
- Inspection The edges of the blade should be symmetrical, without the presence of chips, chippings.
- We carry out a small thin piece of plastic with equal force in different parts of the blade and then inspect the trail. With the formation of the same depth on all parts of the track, the skate is ground correctly and efficiently.
- When exhibiting on ice, skates must stand straight, without leaning to the side. This indicates a good sharpening.
- The owner must put on his shoes, go out onto the ice surface and check how the blade behaves during shocks. If there is no slippage, the skates are ready to play.
The advantages of quality sharpened skates:
- Balancing and maximum control of the legs;
- The sliding process becomes faster and better;
- Acceleration improvement and intensive rotation;
- Confidence in movements on ice;
- Getting pleasure from skiing.
Attention! For a longer preservation of the sharpness of the skates, it is advisable to use covers when walking on a hard surface (floor, steps in the stairwell, asphalt).
Ignoring the wear and deformation of the skate blades not only reduces speed, but can also be dangerous. Timely sharpening of skates can be carried out at home or on professional equipment. The main thing is that sharpening can correct not only the physical form of the athlete, but also give him confidence in his own abilities.
Ball hockey, hockey, hockey, helmet shape, shields, gaiters, club, ball, puck.
Skates do not require special care. The main rules are to dry them after use, sharpen them in time and make sure that the blades do not become rusty. To do this, you need a special sharpener for skates. To sharpen them, it is not enough to use a grinder, a U-shaped groove is machined on the blade.
What gives sharpening
Several reasons for regularly sharpening skates:
- The athlete gains confidence and a feeling of firmness on ice;
- Well-sharpened blades help control balance on ice;
- Sharp blades help to perform rotations, accelerate and perform elements;
- Gliding becomes smoother;
- Blunt blade increases the risk of injury.
Devices and Tools
Consider what are the devices for sharpening skates with your own hands:
- The abrasive is a slingshot for a skate with a plastic handle. Operational editing of blades. The tool removes the burrs left after sharpening. The movements are carried out smoothly, without pressure, so as not to cut the groove. To get the best result, it is recommended to use grease, or moisten the blades with running water. They are only ruled by blades, but not sharpened.
- A bar is an abrasive material for straightening a blade after sharpening.
- Edge Again. Handheld portable skate sharpener.
How to sharpen better
Which tool to use for sharpening skates, each owner of the inventory decides independently. A procedure at home, or a manual sharpener for skates will not replace a professional one, especially for serious sports.
The most popular skate sharpening machines. Nordway and ProSharp, they are proven in practice. Instructions on how to use the Nordway machine:
- Turn on the machine.
- When the movement of the circle becomes stationary, attach the blade to the circle, directing it to the left, against the disk, along the edge.
- Repeat the procedure three times, adjusting the shape of the edge.
- If necessary, adjust the movement of the support bar.
If you did not have experience with similar devices, first try to conduct an experiment on the old pair.
Additional components expand the capabilities of the machine:
- Vice. They can be universal for any couple, and professional ones can be selected for a specific sport;
- Diamond wheels for sharpening inventory, they vary in color and diameter;
- Adapters from a larger diameter to a smaller one;
- Diamond pencils for grooves;
- Burrs to remove the burr.
Sharpening skates has its own characteristics. Before the process, it is specified exactly where the athlete will play. On artificial or natural ice, weight category, riding style. When playing hockey, an important parameter is the place in the team of the attacker, goalkeeper or defender.
The depth of the groove is adjustable depending on the use of the inventory:
- In figure skating, it reaches a mark of 5-6 mm;
- For hockey. 20mm;
- For speed skating. 45mm.
If burrs are found in the inventory, sharpening is optional.
Signs that inventory needs sharpening
How to understand that it’s time to sharpen skates:
- There is no groove on the blade, or it is covered with rust;
- When turning, the blades go to the side;
- The skids slide during repulsion.
How to carry out the procedure at home
- A vice for clamping dies, otherwise the skate will slip out.
- File. A round file. With its help, the groove becomes smooth.
- A bar with a hole along the width of the blade.
- Lay your inventory horizontally with a vice. From above put on a bar with a file inside.
- File a recess. Drive them to the side until the groove is noticeable.
- Continue the procedure until a sharp edge appears.
Now grinding is done: wrap the file with sandpaper, run it along the blade without touching the edge.
There are two sharpening methods: straight and under the gutter. Skates go on sale sharpened directly. But in practice, this method does not justify itself. Although greater speed is achieved and there is the possibility of sharp braking, maneuverability is coming to naught.
Sharpening under the trench develops an equal straight line speed, makes the movements maneuverable, but braking is difficult. It is preferred by hockey players and athletes engaged in figure skating.
Ftb. Sharpening. Used on European ice, rarely used. European matches are held on artificial ice, so the emphasis is not on speed, but on the adhesion of the coated blade.
How to distinguish sharpened inventory
Consider a few visual signs of sharpened inventory. A sharpened pair of skates has a groove inside. The lateral ribs are sharp and of equal thickness. Perform work professionally help in sports palaces.