Chainsaw Does Not Start Causes And Remedies
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor that the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped with, it should be noted that it has a single tuning screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the nozzle, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. over, this principle remains regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
Relevant for many owners a question about correct idle after emptying fuel from petrol tanks. According to experts, there is no need to worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing engine speed in order to restore normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler as this part may be causing the malfunction. This operation is easy enough. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation. Due to faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it can be quite simple to troubleshoot a malfunction, it is preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-troubleshooting there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not devoid of disadvantages. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leak in the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank joins loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, but in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation on this matter: the first thing to do for those who have encountered a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution. You need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need check petrol supply, air filter, and then make sure the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often such malfunctions are caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, due to which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove the dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the cause of the saw not starting in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to get clogged and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, and then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly working chainsaw to have dense and stable stream of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start up hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term operation of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels that have a plug, or the reason should be looked for in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure if this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
Faulty plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it away. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing a similar operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to develop your resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option is to find a replacement for this problem. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new candle instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken candle is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by poor contact, provided by the high voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, and also to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most demanded is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many have had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
Floods the candle
In the people, the phenomenon in which a spark cannot ignite a large amount of fuel is usually called candle flooding. The cause of the malfunction lies in the carburetor, or in improper cold start. If a malfunction is detected, first you need to “purge” the engine.
Fuel system malfunctions Stihl 180
In some cases, as a rule, if there is a spark on the spark plug, when examining it, you can notice that it has a wet coating, this indicates an excessive supply of fuel to the combustion chamber and, as a consequence, the impossibility of igniting the fuel mixture.
Replacing the crankshaft bearings
It is better to replace the crankshaft bearings in a specialized service, because when replacing, you will need to completely disassemble the Stihl 180 chainsaw and remove all its main components.
Without some experience or at least the skills of repairing similar chainsaws, it will not work to replace the crankshaft bearings efficiently.
So, we figured out the absence of a spark, but what to do if there is a spark, and there is no answer to the question why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start. The reason may be hiding in the fuel system.
Checking the pulse from the engine crankcase
The fuel pump on the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is installed directly in the carburetor and operates under the influence of impulses from the engine crankcase of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. The impulse is transmitted through a pulse channel in the rubber pipe connecting the cylinder to the carburetor.
Clogging of the channel is fraught with the appearance of problems with the supply of fuel or its complete absence. To check the branch pipe, it is necessary to remove the air filter housing and the carburetor, then check the channel for clogging with a thin metal wire.
Another reason associated with the absence of an impulse in the pipe channel is the depressurization of the engine crankcase, which results in air leakage from it and a decrease or complete cessation of its supply to the fuel pump. Depressurization results in a partial or complete loss of the fuel pump performance. To check the tightness of the crankshaft oil seals, and indeed the crankcase of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, a special vacuum gauge is used, and since it is a special-purpose tool, it is mainly available only in service centers. The question arises, what to do?
You can check the impulse supply using a syringe on the engine with the carburetor removed. You will need to draw a little oil into the syringe to lubricate the engine and squeeze it out into the impulse channel of the pipe, then pull the starter. If the impulse does not pass, the oil will remain in the channel and you should look for the cause deeper, disassemble the engine and check the oil seals. If the oil is squeezed out of the channel, then the problem may be hidden in the fuel pump itself.
For what reasons the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw will not start
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is considered one of the most reliable tools used in gardening. But with any technique, there are situations when it does not start for some reason. Let’s look at the main malfunctions due to which the Stihl 180 will not start or start poorly and how to fix these malfunctions.
There is no clearance between the flywheel and the ignition module
In some cases, the absence of a spark on the spark plug is due to an incorrect gap between the contacts of the ignition module or the flywheel. It may be larger, or it may not be at all, and then scratches will be observed on the surface of the flywheel as a result of contact with the contacts of the coil.
You can check and set the gap without a special tool. To do this, you will need to remove the starter, loosen the two screws securing the coil and lay a plate cut from a plastic bottle between the flywheel contacts and the ignition module, tighten the module fastening screws.
If, after such adjustment of the gaps, a spark appeared, everything is in order, you can continue to work with the Stihl 180 chainsaw, if not, you need to re-inspect and check if the flywheel is touching the coil contacts again. Suppose, as a result of the check, it was found that after adjusting the gap, it was gone again. So the reason is most likely in the crankshaft bearings.
Checking the breather and cleaning it.
The breather is another element, from the improper operation of which the chainsaw may not start or stall during the sawing process. This element is located on the fuel tank cap in the area of the air hole. This is a kind of valve that does not allow gasoline to flow out and equalizes the air pressure required for the free flow of fuel into the carburetor.
If the breather is dirty, the working chainsaw stalls, and when started it refuses to start. The thing is that air stops flowing through the hole. As a result, a negative pressure (vacuum) is created inside the fuel tank, preventing the flow of gasoline to the carburetor.
Defining the problem is pretty straightforward. Disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor and see what happens to the gasoline. If it flows out freely in a good trickle, then everything is in order with the breather. If it is absent or it flows weakly and intermittently, then the reason is identified. The breather is clogged with dirt. You can solve the problem by cleaning the air hole with a regular needle or a powerful jet of compressed air.
Determine the availability of fuel and its supply.
First you need to make sure that there is a fuel mixture in the tank of a chainsaw that does not want to start, and it regularly enters the carburetor. With a full tank, we check how the mixture is fed through the gas line. Disconnect the fuel system pipe from the carburetor and try to pump it up. In the case of a complete order, when pumping, gasoline will be supplied in jerks in accordance with the standards set by the manufacturer. Poor or no fuel supply can result from:
- The fuel supply channel is clogged;
- Debris-clogged fuel filter.
Often the reason for a poor start of the chainsaw can be a tank that is too full. In this case, you should pay attention to the presence of smudges under the saw case cover. If present, see the connection of the gasoline feed pipe to the carburetor. Most often, it is squeezed out by pressure when the tank cap is screwed on, filled right up to the neck, which prevents the engine from starting.
The quality of the fuel mixture can also be one of the reasons why the chainsaw does not start. If, after completing the work, the remaining gasoline is not drained, and the tool is left for long-term storage (more than 2 weeks), then the processes of resin formation and polymerization of the components will begin to occur inside the tank. What can cause carbon deposits on the piston, rings and cylinder liner. Therefore, always prepare the mixture only in the required amount before work.
Searching for reasons why the chainsaw won’t start
Amateur and professional chainsaws are complex devices. The service life of their two-stroke engines, components and assemblies has its own limitations. For this reason, quite reliable and expensive tools, along with cheap Chinese units, periodically fail and refuse to start. The situation when the chainsaw does not start or stalls is not very pleasant and sometimes confuses the user. How to identify and correct a malfunction by returning the instrument to work.
- Identification and elimination of obvious faults of the chainsaw.
- Checking the spark on the spark plug and troubleshooting.
- Determine the availability of fuel and its supply.
- Checking the condition of the fuel and air filters.
- Checking the breather and cleaning it.
- Chainsaw outlet check.
- What to do if the chainsaw won’t start further?
Checking the condition of the fuel and air filters.
If everything is in order with the fuel quality, the chainsaw engine may not start due to clogged fuel and air filters. To diagnose these elements, it will be necessary to perform a number of manipulations associated with their dismantling.
For the fuel filter:
- Disconnect the gasoline supply channel from the carburetor;
- Pump up fuel.
If there is little or no pressure in the pipe, disconnect the filter. Before this, free the tank from the mixture and remove the filter element itself. Dismantling is done with a wire hook. A clogged replacement cartridge that causes a poor starting of the chainsaw engine can be cleaned, but it is best to replace it with a new one. When using the tool in dusty conditions, it should be cleaned on a regular basis.
A clogged air filter can cause the chainsaw engine to run erratically, making it stalling or difficult to start. Dust and dirt deposited on the adsorbent material impede the flow of air into the system, make the fuel mixture so rich that starting the tool will sometimes be difficult.
Checking the air filter is one of the first steps in finding the cause of a poor start.
Care should be taken when removing the air filter, as dust accumulated on the surface of the saw during operation can enter the carburetor. And this is fraught with more expensive repairs. After detaching the cartridge, thoroughly clean it from accumulated dirt and rinse it with the addition of detergent. Dry the element and place it in place just as carefully.
Identification and elimination of obvious faults of the chainsaw.
To determine the reason why the chainsaw does not start or stalls when starting, it is necessary to troubleshoot the tool. The essence of the procedure is to consistently inspect the condition and operation of the main working elements of the saw motor. At this stage, we check:
- Spark plug present;
- Fuel supply;
- Filter status;
- The operation of the breather of the stalling unit built into the fuel cap;
- Discharge duct function.
To the content
Checking the spark on the spark plug and troubleshooting.
The first step in looking for reasons why your gasoline saw won’t start is to check the spark on the spark plug. There are many factors that affect the performance of this element. However, the main ones at the initial stage of instrument troubleshooting are:
- Incorrect carburetor adjustment;
- The presence of more than it should be, the amount of oil in gasoline;
- Clogged air filter.
All of them contribute to the formation of carbon deposits on the spark plug electrodes. In 50 cases out of 100, the saws do not start on a cold one due to the absence of a spark due to carbon deposits on the electrodes and their corrosion. As a result, the gap either decreases or increases.
Checking the spark plug with an idle chainsaw
Checking for a spark is fairly easy. This will require:
- Remove the tip of the high-voltage wire;
- Unscrew the candle;
- Put the tip back on;
- Lean the candle with a skirt against the cylinder;
- Start with a starter.
If a good spark is observed between the electrodes at the time the chainsaw engine starts, then everything is in order with the ignition unit. If it is not there, then it is worth cleaning the element itself and checking the gap of the electrodes. If necessary, using a special probe, adjust the distance between the contacts.
There may be no spark on the spark plug for other reasons. Of the main faults affecting the poor start of the chainsaw and the unstable operation of the internal combustion engine at idle, from which the tool can stall, include the following:
- Overflow of the spark plug channel with fuel;
- Lack of contact between the high-voltage cradle and the tip of the candle;
- Failure of the ignition unit.
How to start a cold chainsaw if the candle channel is constantly flooding with gasoline? To eliminate the problem while starting the tool, use the following algorithm:
- Unscrew the candle with a special key;
- Wipe it with a clean and dry cloth;
- Dry for 20. 30 minutes;
- Remove carbon deposits with a file and adjust the gap between the electrodes;
- Drain the remaining fuel from the spark plug channel and dry it;
- Collect everything and try to start the mechanism.
If there is no spark with poor contact of the high-voltage cradle with the spark plug tip, check the connection. The check can be done using a conventional tester. If a defect is found and it is eliminated, the chainsaw should start without any problems.
If the check showed that the contact is reliable, and the saw does not start further, look for the cause in the ignition unit. As a rule, a faulty unit cannot be repaired or restored. A complete replacement is required here.
Limitations in self-tuning the warranty tool
Even in the presence of an easy start system, new equipment that has not been run in is relatively tight. It is not recommended to disassemble the recoil starter before the end of the warranty service and repair.
- For service departments, such a revision may become a reason for refusing a free replacement for more valuable equipment that has failed.
- In case of self-elimination of minor defects, such as “no gasoline is supplied” or “the fastening of the air intake is loose”, no penalties are applied.
- Practice shows that problems with the launch of budget range chainsaws appear after 2-3 years of operation. In such a situation, the owner has to put up with additional repair costs or rely on their own locksmith skills.
Thanks to the higher quality of materials and factory assembly, branded models have much less launch problems. Nevertheless, the recommendations given in this article may be useful for owners of medium and high-end chainsaws.
The information received will tell you the direction of solving the problem when the Chinese chainsaw does not start. Almost all Chinese chainsaw imports are developed on the basis of European models, therefore, design and operational differences are insignificant.
Checking the tightness of the connection between the carburetor and the body
When the threaded fasteners are loosened, air is sucked in, which leads to a depletion of the gasoline-air mixture and, accordingly, a deterioration in its performance.
To replace a damaged gasket, it is recommended to use a repair kit, if it is not available, a gasket can be made from a gasoline-oil-resistant material identical in thickness.
Checking the supply of the combustible mixture and the ignition system
First of all, you should make sure that there is fuel in the carburetor float chamber. After several attempts to start the engine, an unscrewed dry candle will tell you that the reason for the poor start is in the absence of a combustible mixture.
Recommended sequence of actions:
- Checking the fuel filter;
- Patency of the gas line;
- The cleanliness of the drain hole of the fuel tank cap;
- Freezing of the carburetor float valve in the closed position is not excluded.
To clean the volume of the cylinder, it is necessary to make several energetic jerks with the starter with the plug removed and the ignition off. In the absence of a new, obviously working candle, it is necessary to dry thoroughly and check the old one for a spark. Heating it up over an open fire is not desirable, since there is a high probability of insulator cracking and its complete failure.
To check for sparking, a spark plug with a cap on must be attached to the saw body and crank the crankshaft with a starter. A working candle gives out a strong discharge, accompanied by a characteristic crackle.
A small spark with a red tint indicates a malfunction of the ignition unit, high-voltage conductor or internal resistor of the standard candlestick.
Condition of the air intake and muffler
The cause of a problem start may be a clogged air cleaner filter with sawdust. If the engine starts with the air intake removed, special attention should be paid to cleaning the filter. A large amount of carbon deposits in the muffler affects the power and thrust of the power unit, but the engine should start without much effort.
Why the chainsaw is bad or does not start: reasons and solutions from the masters
Almost all power drives of chainsaw equipment produced in recent years are equipped with easy start and electronic ignition systems, decompressors and booster pumps. When asked why the chainsaw does not start with such a rich equipment, service specialists do not give an unambiguous answer.
Depending on the class and purpose, carburetor power units of similar design are installed on household and professional models, running on high-octane motor gasoline with a small admixture of engine oil for two-stroke engines.
The displacement of chainsaw engines varies from 26 to 60 cm3, power ranges from 1 to 6-plus hp. A characteristic feature of chainsaw drives is maximum compactness, convenient maintenance, access to setting points. The standard resource of budget models is 1500 hours, branded. than 2000.
Pro tips for mixture control
If the performed checks did not give the proper result, proceed to the ignition check. An inverted wet candle indicates an excess of fuel and a lack of air, a mixture that fills the candle at startup cannot ignite even a powerful spark in such a proportion.
To bring the quality and quantity of the air-gasoline mixture to the optimal parameter, a wide range of operational adjustments is used. Fuel overflow in old chainsaws can be caused by leaks in the fuel supply valve and carburetor float valve.
In standard situations, after a short purge of the cylinder with the plug removed or the decompressor turned on, normal start-up is restored completely.