Chainsaw Spins Chain At Idle
Modern chainsaws delight us with their reliability, ease of operation and the presence of many special vibration suppression systems, automatic chain lubrication, and easy start-up. But even such a technique fails over time, especially if you do not service it on time and correctly. We suggest studying the characteristic breakdowns of chainsaws and methods for eliminating them with your own hands.
Signs of damage and self-repair of the chainsaw motor
One of the most frequent breakdowns of each chainsaw is a malfunction of its motor. Determining that the reason lies precisely in this is quite simple. Several symptoms may indicate this problem:
- The chainsaw does not start;
- The tool motor is unstable and very noisy;
- The motor manages to start, but it constantly stalls;
- The motor overheats very quickly;
- The chainsaw only works on the choke;
- The motor smokes a lot, and the power, at the same time, drops.
If you do not know how to make the chainsaw work quietly, then, first of all, you will need to study its design. Only after this can you start an independent repair of the tool.
To avoid such errors, you should once again study the order of starting a chainsaw with a cold engine. The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Lower the throttle switch to the “Closed” position;
- Press the primer for pumping fuel into the carburetor several times;
- Pull the starter handle until resistance appears;
- After the saw starts and immediately stalls, move the choke lever to the “Open” position;
- Start the chainsaw again and let it idle a little.
If this does not help, then you will need to inspect the spark plug. If you saw a large amount of oil on it, then the part must be unscrewed and dried. After that, you will need to dry the combustion chamber, screw in the candle and try to start the saw again.
The correctness of the candle itself can be checked as follows. First, you need to connect a high-voltage wire to it, put the spare part on the cylinder and pull out the starter cable. In this case, do not grab the candle with your hands. If you notice a blue spark, then the candle is fully functional. Screw the part back into place in the chainsaw and restart the motor. If this also did not help, then it was the turn to check the ignition system and the wires connected to the candle.
If large spots of fuel are noticeable on the candle, you will need to check the tool carburetor. If a thick layer of black soot has formed on the part, then the problem may lie in the use of low-quality motor oil. quite often this is the reason why the chainsaw spark plugs. The product must be replaced, and the candle thoroughly cleaned with a needle or awl.
When checking a candle, be sure to pay attention to the distance between the electrodes. it should be from 0.5 to 0.65 mm. Very often, too much distance between the electrodes is the reason why there is no spark.
How to properly adjust the chainsaw. tips for beginners
In most service centers, chainsaws are adjusted using special equipment. Each model has its own optimal values for the angle of rotation of the screws. As a rule, chainsaws do not require frequent adjustment of carburetors. However, they may be required in certain cases:
- With strong wear on the pistons of the motor. this is precisely the reason why the chainsaw shoots;
- If clogging occurs inside the carburetor as a result of the use of low-quality gasoline and the failure of the air filter, in such cases not only adjustment, but also washing of the unit will be required;
- If the protective cover is damaged. this is often the reason why the chainsaw blows itself.
There are a number of signs that directly indicate the need for carburetor adjustment:
Video: Chainsaw Spins Chain At Idle
- The engine does not work at idle or the chainsaw does not start at all. the reason lies in the poor fuel mixture;
- The fuel consumption and exhaust gas volume sharply increased. this is a consequence of the supersaturation of the carburetor with the fuel mixture.
The carburetor tuning scheme may vary for different chainsaw models. But, despite this, the general principle remains unchanged.
- L. stands for “Low” and is used to adjust low revs;
- H. “High”, and is responsible for working at high speeds;
- T (S, LA). Used to adjust the idle speed.
Before adjusting the chainsaw, make sure that the cutting chain of the tool is directed in the opposite direction from you. The chainsaw must be installed on a flat surface so that its chain does not touch other objects.
Before adjusting the chainsaw, carefully study the procedure specified in the operating instructions. Setting up the carburetor of the chainsaw consists of two stages. the base, in which the engine is not started and the final one, when the chainsaw motor has warmed up and is working. The procedure is as follows:
- Slowly tighten the screws L and H clockwise until they stop, and then turn them one and a half turns counterclockwise;
- Start the engine and let the chainsaw run for 10 minutes at low speeds;
- Next, proceed to the final setup. Before adjusting the idle speed of the chainsaw, you will need to unscrew the idle screw in a counterclockwise direction until the moment when the engine speed is minimal, the engine will work stably, and the chain will stand still. If the motor stalls in this position of the screw, the screw must be turned clockwise. If the idle adjustment on the chainsaw leads to the fact that the chain is spinning at idle, then the screw needs to be slightly rotated counterclockwise;
- Then you need to check the chainsaw for acceleration of the motor. To do this, gently press the throttle lever. If the revolutions are gaining slowly, then you need to slightly turn the screw L counterclockwise;
- Next, set the maximum engine speed. You can check them by the presence of failures in the ignition system. If they are, then screw H must be turned counterclockwise;
- After setting the acceleration and maximum revolutions, you need to again check the operation of the chainsaw at idle. The fact that you did everything correctly will be indicated by the lack of movement of the circuit at idle and the stable operation of the motor,
Having completed all the above steps, you can continue to work with the tool. To avoid adjusting the carburetor again in the near future, use only high-quality fuel and engine oil, and try to work with the chainsaw as carefully as possible.
Chainsaw chain lubrication system
There are several typical breakdowns of the chainsaw chain lubrication system. These include:
- Lack of oil intake or oil in too small a quantity;
- An excess of oil, which leads to its leakage.
Before you consider why the chain is not lubricated on the chainsaw, you need to carefully inspect and carefully rinse the oil supply channels to the tire. It is possible that precisely because of their clogging, the chain does not receive the amount of oil it needs.
Often the problem with oil leakage lies in the chainsaw oil pump. If it is faulty, then the entire assembly should not be changed immediately. Very often it will be enough to replace only the plunger. In other cases, adjusting the oil pump may help.
Why chainsaw is sawing crookedly. reasons and repair
If during operation with a chainsaw, the tire with the chain leads to the side, then this indicates one of several common malfunctions:
- Chain teeth sharpened unevenly;
- The circuit used does not match the bus parameters;
- The chainsaw headset is subject to heavy wear.
In either case, the first thing to do is replace the circuit. To do this, you need to choose a part that will meet the parameters specified in the instructions for use of the tool or use our table to select chains of chainsaws. If even after that the chainsaw is sawed to the side, then you need to inspect the tool tire. In the event of an accidental impact, it could have shifted, and for repair it would be necessary to install the part as indicated in the images in the instruction manual.
We deal with typical chain saw chain breakdowns
Why does the chain fly?
Because of what it breaks, or why it pinches during prolonged work with a chainsaw. There may be several reasons why the chain breaks, but the most common of them is mechanical damage to the tire on which the saw element of the tool is held.
Why does the chain clamp on a chainsaw?
The reason for this also lies in the deformation of the tire. If it was squeezed as a result of the blow, then, accordingly, the teeth of the chain will be locked inside the groove of the tire. Also the reason that the chain does not rotate is the breakdown of the adjusting bolt, which is used when installing a new saw element. To understand exactly why the chain does not rotate, it is necessary to dismantle the tire and carefully inspect the internal structure of the chainsaw for debris inside it. You will also need to inspect the instrument’s air filter for clogging.
If the chain does not stop at idle
In this case, you will need to check the integrity of the screws holding the tire. It is possible that as a result of wear or impact of the thread on them it became unusable.
Chainsaw does not saw under load
Also, it makes strange sounds, then, most likely, the chain tension screws were deformed. For repair, defective parts should be replaced immediately.
Why is the chain stretched?
Most often, the poor quality of the saw element itself serves. If you notice signs of stretching, the part must be replaced immediately.