Chainsaw Stihl 180 Does Not Jam
Modern chainsaw ignition
Ignition, on modern gearless chainsaws, is a module that includes a coil, an electronic board is a transistor type. The ignition system (non-electronic part) includes a flywheel with magnets (magneto), a glow plug, an armored wire (high voltage wire).
What’s inside the ignition module?
Perhaps someone watched videos on video hosting sites and watched the module in a cut. Here are the footage for review from this video below.
This is what the ignition coil looks like in a module cut in half.
On the other side of the coil is an electronic board, intensively filled with sealant
It is most likely possible to “ring” the board and the coil in the module. This requires a “manual”. electrical diagram of a specific model of a chainsaw. But this procedure will only help to find out the “diagnosis”, to confirm the functionality of the module or lack thereof. It is impossible to repair, as you understand, such a module on your own, both in the field or on a rotational basis, and in services.
Therefore, we, lumberjacks, first of all need to be able to find an ignition malfunction. if it comes down to a module breakdown, then it should be replaced. If the malfunction is diagnosed in other parts of the ignition, we eliminate them. You can check the malfunction of the ignition module without ringing it.
Identifying and eliminating obvious chainsaw malfunctions.
To determine the reason why the chainsaw does not start or stalls when starting, it is necessary to troubleshoot the tool. The essence of the procedure is to consistently inspect the condition and operation of the main working elements of the saw motor. At this stage, we check:
- Spark plug present;
- Fuel supply;
- Filter status;
- The operation of the breather of the stalling unit built into the fuel cap;
- Discharge duct function.
to the content
High voltage wire
With proper ignition, there is either a spark, or it is not at all. If the spark is weak, then the malfunction should be looked for in the candle itself, or in the power cable (armored wire. high-voltage wire). In rare cases, if a weak spark of a spark plug is observed after repeated replacements of serviceable spark plugs, then a malfunction is still present in the ignition module. In this case, when the tool is running, the faulty module heats up.
It is very rare, but it happens that a high-voltage wire is broken (from personal experience), in case of mechanical stress and in case of overheating. A spark from a damaged cable breaks through to ground (to the cylinder). a short circuit occurs and the engine stops working due to the lack of ignition. In this case, it (the armored wire) must be replaced. How to check the health of the wire? Only a temporary replacement. an analogue from another serviceable chainsaw. Or in a barbaric way for your health. to hold the wire with your fingers while checking. I hope that the lumberjack has enough “intelligence”, and he will not, thus, check the serviceability of the cable.
By the way, if the cap is faulty (breaks through), then when checking the spark on the candle, when you hold the cap with your fingers, the malfunction will be revealed instantly)). Such a breakdown of the candle cap is usually found in wet weather.
It also happens that the plug cap is not broken, but the malfunction is contained inside the cap. poor quality (or lack thereof) connection of the cable with the landing spring on which the glow plug is mounted. The cause of such a malfunction is the negligence of the user of the tool, who often pulls the cable out of the plug, avoiding careful removal.
Ignition ON wires
Usually the wires for turning the ignition on and off are paired. one to ground, the other from the coil to the “Stop-Start” button. When they are closed, the ignition disappears and the chainsaw stalls. Although there may be one wire.
In my practice (experience), this wire was damaged.
How it happened?
Because of their negligence and inexperience. When installing the starter on Khuskvarnaya, I did not put the wire in the mounting grooves on the deflector and it lay on the edges of the grooves. When the cover was fixed, the wire “crushed” these edges against the cover. The wire insulation was damaged, although the wire strands remained intact. What happened in the end?
The chainsaw actually worked fine. She will work. Even if the wires are completely torn, the tool (ignition) will work, but the chainsaw will not turn off. But if the wires damaged in the insulation (the ends going to the module) close together (or a single wire about “ground”), then the ignition will disappear and the tool will not work, it will not start.
NO SPARK IN THE CHAINSAW, ignition coil replacement
This video discusses the breakdown of the ignition coil, its replacement and starting the chainsaw. And also watch my.
Insufficient flow of the fuel mixture from the carburetor into the cylinder or a violation of the correct ratio between fuel and air mixed in the carburetor can occur for several reasons: due to clogging of the air filter, unregulated carburetor, clogging of its channels or filter mesh.
As a rule, the repair of chainsaws is not complete without cleaning the air filter, since it gets dirty quite quickly. When this happens, the intake of air into the carburetor is reduced, the fuel mixture at the exit from it is too rich, which disrupts the normal operation of the engine. Remove the dirty filter for cleaning carefully so that dirt from it does not get into the carburetor. The filter should be cleaned or washed in water with some kind of detergent, dried and reinstalled.
The misalignment of the carburetor is eliminated by adjusting it. This is usually done with three screws. the maximum and minimum speed and the idle screw. Adjustment must be carried out in strict accordance with the instructions, non-observance of which may lead to engine damage. Some saw manufacturers keep only one adjusting screw (idle) to prevent unwanted interference by inexperienced users with the carburetor. No sparks chainsaw. youtube. For an example of adjusting the carburetor of a chainsaw, see the article Working with a chainsaw.
If adjusting the carburetor does not help, you need to clean its channels and filter mesh, and at the same time check the integrity of the membrane. The carburetor is one of the most complex chainsaw devices, so you need to start disassembling and cleaning it with a full understanding of the responsibility of this operation. It consists of many small parts, which have the peculiarity of jumping out of their places imperceptibly and being irretrievably lost, so, having disassembled this capricious device, you may not need to assemble it.
Below is a diagram of another chainsaw carburetor.
If there is no experience and self-confidence, it is better to entrust the repair of the chainsaw carburetor to a specialist of the service center. Sometimes for high-quality cleaning of the carburetor it is necessary to use ultrasonic cleaning.
Muffler. why is there no spark on the chainsaw? Find out the expert answer for free! Often, the cause of engine malfunction, especially in the case when the engine normally operates at low speeds and stalls under load, is the clogging of the exhaust spark arrester with combustion products, which prevents normal exhaust. Repair in this case consists in removing the muffler, disassembling (if it is collapsible) and wet cleaning it from carbon deposits using detergents. The non-dismountable muffler is dried with a hairdryer after washing. Remember that carbon deposits contain substances that are carcinogenic, and dry cleaning, due to which they can be inhaled, is not acceptable.. When removing the muffler, plug the engine outlet with a clean cloth.
- The engine will not start;
- starts, but stalls;
- works unstable;
- does not develop power, i.e. works normally at idle, but stalls under load.
When repairing a chainsaw yourself, you need to act by elimination. our client is left to check one by one the possible causes of the malfunction, starting with the development of those, the verification of which is not eliminated takes less time (about the device does not work a two-stroke engine, see here).
Ignition system. Almost all of the engine problems listed above can be caused by a malfunctioning ignition system. Therefore, when they occur, it makes sense to start troubleshooting with a candle. This is all the more justified since the state of the latter can provide useful information about the operation of the fuel system. So, if a problem occurs, you need to unscrew the candle and inspect it.
The wire is disconnected, and the candle is unscrewed with a special key.
If the spark plug is dry, this means that the problem is most likely not in the ignition system, but in not entering the cylinder. fuel mixture. You can wrap the spark plug back and start the fuel system. If the spark plug is heavily splashed with a fuel mixture, then there is an excess of it. This can occur from a misalignment of the carburetor or a violation of the starting rules. The spark plug is wiped and dried, the cylinder is drained by shutting off the fuel supply and operating with the starter. to vent the combustion chamber and remove excess fuel. Then put the candle in place and repeat the start.
The presence of a large amount of black carbon also indicates a malfunction in the fuel system.
The ratio between oil and gasoline in the mixture may be disturbed, the carburetor is not adjusted, or poor-quality oil may be used. The candle is washed in gasoline, cleaned with a needle or an awl from carbon deposits, the electrodes are cleaned with a fine sandpaper and installed in place.
In all these cases, it will not be superfluous to check the gap between the spark plug electrodes. Depending on its brand, it should be in the range of 0.5-0.65 mm. It is also necessary to check the spark plug gasket. If it is worn out or damaged, the tightness of the combustion chamber may not be ensured, which leads to a decrease in compression in the cylinder and problems in engine operation.
Even if, when checking the spark plug, there is good reason to believe that the problem is in the fuel system, you need to check the spark plug for the presence of a spark. If only to be sure that everything is in order with it. For this:
- put the ignition cable on the spark plug;
- using pliers with insulated handles, apply a thread or a candle nut to the cylinder;
- pull the starter handle and watch. is there a spark or not.
Checking the breather and cleaning it.
The breather is another element, from the improper operation of which the chainsaw may not start or stall during the sawing process. This element is located on the fuel tank cap in the area of the air hole. This is a kind of valve that does not allow gasoline to flow out and equalizes the air pressure required for the free flow of fuel into the carburetor.
If the breather is dirty, the working chainsaw stalls, and when started, it refuses to start. The thing is that air stops flowing through the hole. As a result, a negative pressure (vacuum) is created inside the fuel tank, which prevents the flow of gasoline to the carburetor.
Defining the problem is pretty straightforward. Disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor and see what happens to the gasoline. If it flows freely in a good trickle, then everything is in order with the breather. If it is absent or it flows weakly and intermittently, then the reason is identified. the breather is clogged with dirt. You can solve the problem by cleaning the air hole with a regular needle or a powerful jet of compressed air.
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor with which the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped, it should be noted that it has a single tuning screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the nozzle, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. over, this principle remains regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it is enough to say that human speech creates noise at a level of 76 dB.
Common isues with Stihl MS 170 and MS 180 Chainsaws
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- Designed tire measures 350mm with 0.325 ” pitch.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
- For many owners, the question of the correct idle speed after emptying the fuel from the gasoline tanks is relevant for many owners. According to experts, there is no need to worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler as this part may be causing the malfunction. This operation is easy enough. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation due to a faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it can be quite simple to fix the malfunction, it is most preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-elimination of a malfunction there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
Stihl 180 chainsaw won’t start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most popular is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many have had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use it, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, it must be remembered that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
Defective spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case, it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it out. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing a similar operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to the depletion of its resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by a weak contact provided by the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not devoid of disadvantages. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and fills in a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leak in the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank joins loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, but in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation on this matter: the first thing to do for those who have encountered a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution. you need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need to check the supply of gasoline, the air filter, and then make sure that the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often this kind of malfunction is caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, due to which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove the dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the reason that the saw will not start should be in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to get clogged and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, and then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly functioning chainsaw to have a strong and stable jet of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually, a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term operation of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels that have a plug, or the reason should be looked for in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure whether this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
Floods the candle
In the people, the phenomenon in which a spark cannot ignite a large amount of fuel is usually called candle flooding. The cause of the malfunction lies in the carburetor, or in improperly starting a cold engine. If a malfunction is detected, first you need to “purge” the engine.
Stihl 180 fuel system malfunctions
In some cases, as a rule, if there is a spark on the spark plug, when examining it, you can see that it has a wet coating, this indicates an excessive supply of fuel to the combustion chamber and, as a consequence, the impossibility of igniting the fuel mixture.
Checking the pulse from the engine crankcase
The fuel pump on the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is installed directly in the carburetor and works under the influence of impulses from the crankcase of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. The impulse is transmitted through a pulse channel in the rubber pipe connecting the cylinder to the carburetor.
Clogging of the channel is fraught with the appearance of problems with the supply of fuel or its complete absence. To check the pipe, it is necessary to remove the air filter housing and the carburetor, and then check the channel for clogging with a thin metal wire.
All rubber parts of the Stihl 180 chainsaw should be periodically inspected for cracks. If defects are found, the defective elements must be replaced with new ones.
Another reason associated with the absence of an impulse in the pipe channel is the depressurization of the engine crankcase, which results in air leakage from it and a decrease or complete cessation of its supply to the fuel pump. The result of depressurization is a partial or complete loss of the fuel pump’s performance. To check the tightness of the crankshaft oil seals, and indeed the crankcase of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, a special vacuum gauge is used, and since it is a special-purpose tool, it is mainly available only in service centers. The question arises, what to do?
You can check the impulse supply using a syringe on the engine with the carburetor removed. You will need to draw a little oil into the syringe to lubricate the engine and squeeze it into the impulse channel of the pipe, then pull the starter. If the pulse does not pass, the oil will remain in the channel and you should look for the cause deeper, disassemble the engine and check the oil seals. If the oil is squeezed out of the channel, then the problem may be hidden in the fuel pump itself.
Replacing crankshaft bearings
It is better to replace the crankshaft bearings in a specialized service, because when replacing, you will need to completely disassemble the Stihl 180 chainsaw and remove all its main components.
Without some experience or at least the skills of repairing similar chainsaws, it will not work to replace the crankshaft bearings efficiently.
So, we figured out the absence of a spark, but what to do if there is a spark, and there is no answer to the question of why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start. The reason may be hiding in the fuel system.
There is no spark on the Stihl 180 chainsaw
The main malfunction due to which the stihl ms 180 chainsaw does not start may be the absence of a spark between the electrodes on the spark plug. Signs of this malfunction can be detected by unscrewing the spark plug and inspecting it. Having discovered during inspection that the spark plug is wet, it is necessary to start looking for the reason for the absence of a spark on the spark plug.
Fuel does not flow
This type of malfunction, like the others, has its own characteristic symptom. It consists in the fact that the working spark plug, on which there is a spark, will be absolutely dry. You can check suspicions of a lack of fuel supply using the following algorithm.
Ignition coil problems
Fuel line diagnostics
Typically, the diagnosis of the fuel supply system begins with checking the condition of the fuel filter. To do this, unscrew the tank cap and, using an aluminum wire bent at the end, remove the fuel hose from the tank with a filter at the end.
Having taken out and dismantled the filter, you can try to blow into it, if air does not flow, then the problem has been found. If everything is in order, then you need to check the system for clogging.
To check the fuel supply hose, you must disconnect it in the place where it connects to the carburetor, and then blow into it. The clogged hose can be mechanically cleaned, if this is not possible, replace with a new one.
In the event that the supply hose and the fuel filter are normal, and the fuel supply is not observed, the reason may be hidden in a malfunction of the air pulse to the fuel pump.
Why stalls at full speed
Very often you can hear the question why the chainsaw stalls at full speed. There may be several reasons. First, you need to consider how the saw stalled. Suppose the tool worked fine and suddenly, for no apparent reason, it suddenly stalled and the starter did not turn. In such a situation, you can be 100% sure that the chainsaw is jammed and you need to start its overhaul.
The second situation is when the Stihl 180 chainsaw worked normally, then gradually lost power in a short time and stalled, while the cylinder overheated. In this case, most likely the reason is air leaks under the rubber pipe connecting the carburetor to the cylinder or its rupture. The mixture was depleted, resulting in overheating. You can eliminate the cause by changing the pipe.
Why does the chainsaw stall when you press the gas
Let’s say the chainsaw works normally at idle, but when the gas is pressed sharply, it stalls. What could be the reason? It is immediately clear that this is not about the ignition (no spark), since if the ignition is faulty and there is no spark, the tool would simply not start. Means the fuel system remains.
There are a lot of malfunctions of the fuel system and to determine the exact reason why the Stihl 180 chainsaw stalls when you press the gas, you need to carry out a complete diagnosis. We recommend reading about common malfunctions of the Stihl 180 chainsaw and their elimination.
For what reasons Stihl 180 stalls at idle or full throttle
Any tool can break and the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is no exception. Today we will try to understand such issues as: why the chainsaw stalls when the speed increases, also at idle and at full speed. Consider the options for diagnosing and eliminating malfunctions associated with this behavior of the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
- Why does the chainsaw stall when you press the gas
- Filter check
- Air filter
- Why stalls at idle
- Why stalls at full speed
The first thing to check is the fuel filter.
In some cases, a filter clogged with dirt is unable to pass enough fuel mixture through it. Accordingly, a fuel shortage arises in the system, which leads to the fact that when you press the gas of the chainsaw, the fuel burns out, and the new one does not have time to enter, as a result of which the Stihl chainsaw stalls. Also, with a clogged fuel filter, there may be a noticeable drop in the power of the chainsaw at maximum speed, but this is with insignificant contamination.
One of the reasons why the chainsaw does not develop speed when you press the gas, but rather stall, is a malfunction of the carburetor. Let’s say the Stihl 180 saw worked properly, and then it was put on for a long time and did not use it. After it was started, and at idle, it works well, and when you press the gas, it can stall. Why stalls? The reason is a sticky carburetor injector valve. Of course, this is not 100%, but the likelihood of such a malfunction is high. We recommend reading an article about the device and repair of the Stihl 180 carburetor.
In order to check the injector, it is necessary to remove the carburetor and disassemble it. To remove, it is necessary to unscrew the two nuts securing the air filter and the carburetor, then remove the air filter and the engine control lever, while disconnecting the choke control rod from the carburetor. Next, you need to pull the carburetor slightly towards you, and disconnect the fuel supply hose.
It is necessary to remove the fuel hose as carefully as possible, and prepare a plug for it in advance, since fuel should come from it.
Having removed the carburetor, it must be blown out and cleaned of dirt, only after that the carburetor can be unscrewed.
It is necessary to unscrew the cover of the main chamber of the carburetor, this is the one on which the compensator is installed on top. Further, using a bolt of 8 mm and a length of at least 50 mm. Knock out the valve.
It is necessary to knock out the valve by installing the carburetor on a wooden stand, this will ensure its protection from damage to the body.
After the nozzle is removed, you can blow it out with a compressor. The valve should only let air through in one direction, if you can freely blow the valve in both directions, then it is defective and must be replaced with a new one. Collect the chainsaw after the valve is repaired, it is necessary to follow the reverse sequence of disassembly.
You can clearly see how the carburetor is being repaired, or rather, how to properly knock out the nozzle valve from the carburetor body by watching the video.
Another common reason a saw can stall when revving up is air leaks into the carburetor. It is possible to check this only with a special tool, but it is worth noting that if preventive work on the carburetor has not been carried out for a long time, then a new set of gaskets can be installed in the carburetor. In some cases, this helps to solve the problem with its depressurization.
When disassembling the carburetor to replace the gaskets, you need to carefully inspect its needle valve, press the rocker arm and check its lifting. Sometimes, especially after the Stihl chainsaw has stood for a long time with fuel in the carburetor, the needle may burn to the carburetor body and not perform its functions. Simply put, the needle valve will not allow the fuel mixture to pass through. In this case, the saw will not work.
Why stalls at idle
The first and most common cause of this malfunction is improper carburetor adjustment. You can adjust the idle speed yourself, for this you need to have a Stihl adjusting screwdriver, which is supplied with the unit. The adjustment hole is located on the right side of the Stihl 180 saw on the handle and is marked with “-” and “”.
If the Stihl chainsaw does not keep the speed and stalls at idle speed, you can be almost 90% sure that it has irregularities in the fuel pump operation system, as a rule, it is air leaks into the crankcase through the oil pan gasket, or, much more often, through the oil seals crankshaft. Air leaks reduce or completely stop the impulse, which is supplied through special channels to the fuel pump of the chainsaw. As a result, the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not receive the required amount of fuel and stalls at idle.
Diagnostics can be done using a special device called a vacuum gauge.
The second way to check the performance of the oil seals is to pour gasoline into the crankcase and look at them, if the oil seals let gasoline pass, then they cannot provide normal pressure in the crankcase, which will make idle work impossible. And when operating at high speeds, with leaking oil seals, there is a possibility of jamming of the crankshaft bearings.
The algorithm for checking the crankcase and Stihl 180 oil seals for leaks is as follows:
- The top cover is removed.
- Dismantle the air filter housing and carburetor.
- The handle of the chainsaw is removed.
- The starter spins and retracts.
- On the side opposite to the starter, the side cover and the drive sprocket are removed.
- A piston stopper is installed in the spark plug hole or a string from an old starter with knots imposed on it is stuffed into the cylinder.
- The flywheel and clutch are unscrewed, after which the parts are removed. It is worth knowing that the chainsaw clutch has a left-hand thread and unscrews clockwise.
- The gear wheel of the drive of the oil pump is removed.
Having disassembled the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, you can see the oil seals, then you need to fill the crankcase with gasoline and check the leakage. The crankcase can be filled through the fuel window in the cylinder; for this, the piston must be raised as high as possible. If leaks are found, it is necessary to replace the defective oil seals, or re-seal the pallet. You can collect Stihl 180 following the reverse sequence of the algorithm.
On the pages of the world wide web, you can find information that the Stihl 180 chainsaw can stall due to strong contamination of the air filter. I would like to refute this not entirely correct information, and report that the Stihl MC 180 carburetor is equipped with an expansion joint, which is designed and installed in order to take in the air necessary for the normal operation of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, bypassing the contaminated air filter. Of course, the power with a clogged air filter will drop a little, but it will definitely not stall. The power may also drop due to wear of the piston, here it will already be necessary to repair the piston Stihl MS 180 chainsaw.
If the Stihl MC 180 chainsaw stalls at idle, does not gain power when you press the gas, or even stalls at full speed, it is necessary to diagnose the fuel system and check the crankcase for leaks. You can do it yourself, but you need to have certain skills. If you are not familiar with two-stroke saws, it is better to turn to specialists, since this technique is rather capricious and any mistakes are expensive.