Chainsaw Stihl 180 does not start
How to check the muffler
To check the muffler, it must be removed from the chainsaw. To do this, using an 8 mm head, two fastening nuts are unscrewed and the part is removed.
Fundamentally: after the muffler is removed, you need to check the integrity of the gaskets between it and the cylinder, since very often they stick and break when the muffler is removed.
Getting the Stihl MS180 chainsaw up and running
You can clean the part mechanically, using screwdrivers or knitting needles, and then blow it well with compressed air. The landing site on the muffler can be cleaned with sandpaper to remove burnt parts of the gasket.
Install the muffler in reverse order.
Fundamentally: when tightening the nuts of the muffler, do not pull the nuts extremely, since the threads on the screws can be torn off.
The second reason why the engine of the Stihl chainsaw can reduce power and not develop speed is a blockage in the fuel system. Usually, the first place where you need to start looking for a blockage is the fuel filter.
The saw does not develop speed. does not develop power.
They brought a Stihl 180 chainsaw for repairs. The Stihl 180 chainsaw does not develop speed. After visual inspection
Ergostart easy start system installation in the tool, equipment with a quick tensioning device for the cutting chain, electronic ignition system. these modern innovations are more common in semi-professional chainsaws and are not characteristic of the Stihl class. nicknamed in Europe “hobby class”. The rival Oleo-Mac 937 is equipped with an electronic ignition system only. and on the Husqvara 137 only the LowVib anti-vibration system is provided.
Vibration neutralization is achieved by four shock absorbers made of dense, resilient rubber. Vibration index 4.3-7.2 m / s 2. For comparison: a chainsaw of a similar light class Husqvara 137 gives a vibration characteristic of 4.9-7.7 m / s 2 and this is in the presence of an anti-vibration system. And the model Oleo-Mac 937 gives a vibration level of 5.2-5.5 m / s2.
For operator safety, the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped with the Quik Stop kickback protection system. Husqvara 137 and Oleo-Mac 937 do not have such protections. Working with these models requires skill and experience.
The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a smaller tire than the Husqvara 137 and Oleo-Mac 937, but its location and fastening on the 180 with four rivets allows more complex work.
Another advantage of the Stihl 180 is the high-quality, complete insulation of the sprocket rollers. The user will be relieved of the maintenance of this node.
The Stihl MS 180 is the best option for a professional user or a novice craftsman. The Stihl MS 180 is the best option from the light “hobby”.class chainsaws. Slightly smaller than in similar models from other brands, the tire will allow you to cut thick wood board.
1) Malfunctions of the STIHL MS 180 chainsaw: The gas key sticks, and over time the gas key stops moving completely.
Cause: Translucent resin build-up on the carburetor throttle shaft, causing the throttle mechanism to jam. Tar is formed when gasoline dissolves a poor air damper coating.
Clean the carburetor throttle valve shaft with acetone, and tin the air damper itself.
2) Chainsaw malfunction: Chainsaw “does not pull”.
Cause: Clogged carburetor.
Chainsaw repair: Dismantle the chainsaw carburetor and clean it. Special attention when
cleaning the carburetor should be given to cleaning the additional filter (mesh in the chainsaw carburetor). remove the largest cover on the carburetor, remove the membrane under it and clean the mesh in the recess from dirt (carefully so as not to lose this mesh). Of course. clean it with a thin copper wire, rinse and blow out all the channels in the chainsaw carburetor.
3) Malfunction of the Stihl 180 chainsaw: The idle speed of the chainsaw has increased (idle speed adjustment is not effective and not stable).
Cause of malfunction: Air leaks through the crankshaft oil seals or elsewhere.
Chainsaw troubleshooting: Replace the crankshaft oil seals and check for other possible suction points.
Reason: When disassembling the carburetor, we lost the spring under the needle lever, as a result, the needle does not block the fuel supply and “fills” the spark plug with gasoline.
Chainsaw troubleshooting: Find and put a spring under the needle lever in the chainsaw carburetor.
The chainsaw does not start well, does not work well.
Reason: “Fills” the spark plug with gasoline due to sticking of the needle in the carburetor or the rocker arm is raised high.
Rinse and blow out the carburetor, set the rocker arm correctly.
Engine runs intermittently
You can start to identify the malfunctions of the Stihl 180 chainsaw yourself if the warranty period has expired. Sometimes the engine runs intermittently, which can be caused by the failure of the cylinder piston group. You can repair it yourself. To remove the cylinder from the tank, it is necessary to unscrew the bolts on its head. The master should check the piston; there should be no chips, scratches or scuffs on it. If they could be found, then the piston must be replaced.
The piston rings and piston ensure optimum pressure in the combustion chamber. The rings must fit snugly over the piston body. If the piston inserted into the cylinder has a free swing when swinging, then this indicates its wear. To fix the problem, it is necessary to bore the cylinder and install repair parts. But the easiest way would be to replace the CPG kit.
Troubleshooting the chainsaw carburetor
Remove the carburetor from the chainsaw. Remove the bnzon pump cover with the membrane by unscrewing one screw in the center of the cover. Then turn the carburetor towards you with the throttle valve, on the side where there are two holes, a pin is visible in one, and there is an accelerating pump under it. Remove the retaining ring from the outside of the pin and disconnect the choke spring wire. Unscrew the screw in the center of the throttle valve, remember how the throttle valve stands (so that it can be installed later) and remove the throttle valve. Plug the hole with the pin with your finger (the accelerator is spring-loaded and if you remove the throttle shaft and do not close the hole, the accelerator will pop out), then turn the throttle shaft and remove it. Shake out the accelerator (piston) with a spring from the hole. There is a rubber cuff (ring) on the piston. its wear is the cause of the chainsaw malfunction. It is necessary to replace the piston with a rubber cuff and a spring (they are sold as a repair kit). Or you can remove the worn piston with a spring, and plug the hole by pushing a rubber plug into it (the chainsaw will not have an accelerating pump, i.e. it will accelerate not in 3 seconds, but in 4 seconds, but it will work well since there will be no suction air carburetor).
Assembly after the malfunction of the chainsaw is eliminated (after the malfunction of the chainsaw carburetor is eliminated) is carried out in the reverse order of disassembly. When assembling the throttle valve, before tightening the screw, the throttle valve itself must be set correctly so that it does not jam, and the thread of the throttle valve fastening screw to the axle should be degreased and smeared with a special thread sealant (sold in small tubes, red, liquid) or flattened with pliers, because if this bolt is unscrewed during operation, it goes straight into the cylinder) and repair or replacement of the piston cannot be avoided). So we examined the elimination of this chainsaw malfunction.
Prerequisites for which Stihl 180 does not develop momentum
Chainsaw Stihl 180 does not develop revs, or after you release the gas trigger, it continues to work without dropping the revs. These difficulties are fairly common. Let’s try to understand the reasons that result in the appearance of similar defects. Also in this article we will see how to diagnose if the chainsaw does not pull.
“MASTER PLUS” repair of any complexity in Serov
If you have purchased a Stihl 180 chainsaw, you yourself can find and carry out malfunctions and carburetor repairs. If the tool stops starting, starts to stall and is not able to maintain power, and also does not hold idle speed, then the carburetor may be the cause of breakdowns. During operation, it quite often turns out to be clogged with dirt, dust or sawdust. You can fix the problem by cleaning it.
Malfunctions of the Stihl 180 chainsaw carburetor are resolved after preparing some tools, among them:
- head 8,
- crosshead screwdriver,
The brush can be used to remove dust and dirt. Then remove the cover and filter. The two nuts of the air filter are unscrewed, which will allow the air intake housing to be removed. You should now be able to see the carburetor. Having lowered the damper down, it is necessary to remove the accelerator lever.
Why won’t my chainsaw Start. stihl 180
Considering the main malfunctions of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, you should know that you should not forget about the fuel filter. It is removed and the fuel hose is blown through. Now you can reassemble everything in the reverse order. If, after assembling the carburetor, the tool still does not start well, and the muffler produces smoke, then the spring under the needle lever has been lost. Due to its absence, the needle does not close the fuel supply. As a result, the candle is filled with gasoline. To fix this problem, you need to find the spring and install it in place.
When repairing a carburetor, you must remember that it is a complex assembly, consisting of rings and many parts. This indicates that cleaning and repairs must be carried out with extreme care. If the tool stalls or does not start, then, in addition to the carburetor, it is necessary to check the spark plugs. If they are defective, they are unscrewed and dried.
Excess fuel can be drained out through a special hole. Malfunctions of the Stihl 180 chainsaw and their elimination are described in part in the instructions. After reading the article, you can understand that the candles should be dried for at least half an hour, after this time, the candle can be installed in place by starting the unit.
Stihl 180 chainsaw malfunctions
This is either sucking in air somewhere, or something is clogged.
The main ways to troubleshoot the STIHL MS 180 chainsaw are to disassemble, rinse and blow out the carburetor, change the fuel filter in the tank, check the fuel hoses for cracking (they can suck in air).
There is only one adjusting screw on the carburetor. idle (it happens, I turned it, and the chainsaw started working again).
The connection of the carburetor to the cylinder, in terms of air leakage, is reliable. there is a plastic ring there (no gaskets are needed).
Stihl 180. Classics of the genre. Doesn’t develop momentum
Why does such a problem appear that the saw seemed to work perfectly, but suddenly the power disappears and does not spin.
- For many owners, the question of the correct idle speed after emptying the fuel from the gasoline tanks is relevant for many owners. According to experts, there is no need to worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler as this part may be causing the malfunction. This operation is quite simple. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation due to a faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it may be quite simple to troubleshoot a malfunction, it is most preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-troubleshooting there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having such a unit at your disposal, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems, where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
Stihl 180 chainsaw won’t start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most popular is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The high level of quality is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use it, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, given that, in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
Defective spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes during the check it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. In this case, it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise this element will be damaged and after that it will only be necessary to throw it out. During troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- You also need to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing such an operation, you can return it to its place, and then test it in action.
- In some cases, the candle may fail due to the depletion of its resource. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only option left is to find a replacement for it. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, or even better, when you have a whole set of such elements at hand. In this case, you can always put a new plug instead of the existing one and make sure whether the broken plug is the cause of the breakdown.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by a weak contact provided by the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor that the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped with, it should be noted that it has a single adjusting screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the nozzle, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of the air-fuel mixture is carried out directly to the engine. over, this principle remains regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of the saw 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, this unit is not devoid of disadvantages. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and fills a candle. This is usually attributed to the formation of a leak in the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank joins loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, however, in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the required place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation in this regard: the first thing to do for those who are faced with a similar problem is to open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is another solution. you need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then in this case you need to check the supply of gasoline, the air filter, and then make sure that the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often this kind of malfunction is caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, because of which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the reason that the saw will not start should be in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to get clogged and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, and then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly functioning chainsaw to have a strong and stable jet of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually, a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term operation of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels that have a plug, or the reason should be looked for in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- A serious problem can be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure whether this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
The saw in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. The device helps to perform its working functions by a two-stroke engine, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition to this, during operation, this instrument does not generate strong noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it is enough to say that a person’s speech creates noise at a level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is sufficient, bearing in mind that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- Designed tire measures 350mm with 0.325 ” pitch.
The chainsaw simplifies many operations. However, for a long time, she cannot demonstrate her original level of performance. Therefore, at some point, problems may arise. Naturally, the owner can eliminate some malfunctions on his own, but in any case there is a risk that he will incorrectly determine them, and this is fraught with the fact that by his actions he can completely disable the tool. Therefore, it is advisable not to take the initiative, but to entrust this work to a specialist.
There is no spark on the Stihl 180 chainsaw
The main malfunction due to which the stihl ms 180 chainsaw does not start may be the absence of a spark between the electrodes on the spark plug. Symptoms of this malfunction can be detected by unscrewing the plug and inspecting. Having discovered during inspection that the spark plug is wet, it is necessary to start looking for the reason for the absence of a spark on the spark plug.
Defective crankshaft bearings
With a defect in the crankshaft bearings, a slight backlash is observed on it. You can check for backlash by shaking the flywheel of the Stihl 180 chainsaw from side to side. If there is a backlash, it means that under the action of its magnets, the flywheel is attracted to the contacts of the ignition coil, since the backlash on the bearings allows it to do this and as a result the spark disappears.
Algorithm for checking for lack of fuel supply
- Unscrew the candle;
- Using a syringe, pour 1-2 cubes of the fuel mixture into the spark plug hole;
- Install the candle and put on the cap of the high-voltage wire;
- Set the engine control lever to the hot start position;
- Pull the starter several times.
If, after several movements with the starter, the Stihl 180 chainsaw started up and immediately stalled, then the suspicions in the lack of fuel supply were confirmed and you can proceed to further diagnostics of the fuel line.
Stihl 180 fuel system malfunctions
In some cases, as a rule, if there is a spark on the spark plug, when examining it, you can notice that it has a wet coating, this indicates an excessive supply of fuel to the combustion chamber and, as a consequence, the impossibility of igniting the fuel mixture.
The candle is flooded
In the people, the phenomenon in which a spark cannot ignite a large amount of fuel is usually called candle flooding. The cause of the malfunction lies in the carburetor, or in improperly starting a cold engine. If a malfunction is detected, first you need to “purge” the engine.
Fuel does not flow
This type of malfunction, like the others, has its own characteristic symptom. It consists in the fact that the working spark plug, on which there is a spark, will be absolutely dry. You can check suspicions of a lack of fuel supply using the following algorithm.
Algorithm for “purging” the engine
Important: under no circumstances carry out a “purge” of the engine with the ignition on and near an open flame.
- Unscrew the candle;
- Turn the Stihl 180 chainsaw upside down and drain off excess fuel;
- In the inverted state, pull the chainsaw starter several times (thus, under the influence of compression, excess fuel will be removed from the cylinder);
- Install the plug and the cap of the high-voltage wire in place;
- Set the engine control lever to the hot start position;
- Pull the starter motor several times and start the engine.
If everything is in order with the Stihl chainsaw and the cold start algorithm was simply violated, then after the “purge” it should start. Otherwise, the malfunction must be looked for in the carburetor.