DIY Creeper For Motor Cultivator
Reduction chain reducer in detail
The drive and reduction gear are the main components of the tiller. A gearbox is needed to change the speed characteristics of the output shaft rotation, which, in turn, is needed to increase the torque.
The reduction gear for the tiller can be:
This node can have 1, 5 or more steps.
Basic elements of the mechanical system
To support the main elements in the gearbox (creeper), a system of shafts and axles is provided. In single-stage designs, shafts with a rigid fit of the driven and driving gears are used. The firmness of the fit is achieved through the use of keys or splines. Lateral displacements are adjusted with special nuts that press the gears or sprockets against the thrust collars. Structural steel is used as a material. It is perfect for making a creeper for a tiller or cultivator.
The bearing units support the steel axles and creeper shafts on the tiller. Bearings bear the main load during operation of the power unit.
It depends on the correctness and quality of bearing seating whether the creeper for a motor cultivator will work normally. For self-made designs, bearings with closed cages (closed type) are better suited. This saves you the hassle of regular grease changes. The type of gearbox bearing depends on the type of load being absorbed. Support bearings are installed on a creeper for a tiller with straight gears, and support bearings are installed on gears with an oblique tooth profile and worm shafts. They are usually subject to longitudinal axial forces from an electric motor or an internal combustion engine.
It depends on the correct selection of the geometric dimensions and the gear ratio whether the creeper for the tiller will normally perceive the dynamic loads from the power unit. When installing gears, all necessary clearances must be maintained. To do this, carefully study the drawings. Clearances directly affect the ability to handle significant loads from an internal combustion engine or electric motor.
The raising and lowering gearbox for a minitractor is lubricated with industrial oil of the I-20 brand. The oil level is determined taking into account the operating conditions of the unit. Stuffing box seals are used to prevent leaks.
Making a gearbox for a mini tractor with your own hands is not easy, but possible. This requires a general knowledge of mechanics. First you need to define:
- gearbox type and design options;
- gear ratio, which will determine the speed and torque indicators of the output shaft;
- values of dynamic loads on shafts;
- dimensions and weight of the future structure.
Making a gearbox for a tiller with your own hands is better than a chain type. This type is characterized by high reliability in operation, availability of components, simplicity of parts and ease of assembly.
Before making a reduction gearbox, you need to purchase the following components and parts:
- driven and driven shaft;
- a set of sprockets with the required gear ratio;
- bearings designed for axle and shaft diameters;
- chains for transmission of torques;
- corner profile for making and fixing the body;
- Sheet steel;
The homemade travel reducer is assembled in the following order:
- Fit the drive sprockets to the input shaft. Keyed or flanged mounting can be used. Some designs use spot welding. When using spot welding, local overheating must be eliminated to prevent deformations.
- Assemble the driven shaft from two axle shafts. At the ends, as a rule, counter flanges are placed.
- Install the driven sprocket between the flanges, connect the axle shafts and the sprocket using bolts. To exclude bolted connections, a one-piece shaft with a keyway can be made. Negative connection. the sprocket can be displaced from the seat under the influence of axial forces.
- You can make a case for a gearbox with your own hands, or you can use ready-made factory designs. The housing of the unit is provided with bore holes for bearings and stuffing box shaft seals.
- For mounting, closed-type ball bearings are used. Bearing housings are generally cylindrical, pull-in fit.
- The drive shaft is installed in eccentric bearing arrangements for adjustment in the seat. Adjustment limit is 15 ° for normal chain tension.
- Next, a special gasket is installed in the creeper for the tiller.
You can make a gearbox with your own hands, but for this you need to clearly adhere to the instructions, and make the parts in accordance with the drawings.
The industry produces simple and complex equipment for tillers. Typical accessories include the simplest attachments that are included with the unit at the sales stage. Or they can be purchased at the time of purchase of equipment for an additional fee. Let’s consider some of them.
These tools are useful throughout the year.
How to Make the Ultimate DIY Mechanic’s Creeper
we choose accessories and nozzles, attachment and trencher, flat cutters and brush. What else is included?
the tiller itself is the engine, the pulling force. It becomes useful in the household thanks to attachments. This technique can work all year round: in the spring to plow the land and plant seeds, potatoes, and in the summer to huddle, water the plants. The machine is capable of harvesting in autumn and snow removal in winter. the tiller is also used for preparing firewood, when mowing grass, as a small truck for transporting heavy loads. Every year, new models of equipment for the universal worker appear.
TOOL FOR MASTERS AND MASTERS AND HOUSEHOLD GOODS VERY CHEAP. FREE SHIPPING. RECOMMENDED. CHECKED 100% HAVE REVIEWS.
Snow removal device
It is not difficult to execute it; to create it, you need to prepare 2 metal pipes and brackets. The so-called dump can be made from sheet metal. The rods are connected to its body by welding, and the brackets make it possible to fix its angle of inclination and location relative to the coupling unit. This moving part can be taken from used self-propelled equipment.
Snow removal equipment
The snow blower is a bucket that grabs snow and throws it to the side of the road at a distance of 3 to 6 meters, depending on the engine power. To work with wet snow, a nozzle is used. a blade-shovel, which shovels snow with water and ice up to 30 centimeters thick. The more powerful the motor and the larger the equipment, the more precipitation and the wider the territory the equipment can remove. Despite the good bottom line, snow management is labor intensive and energy intensive.
And snow blowers are more expensive than many other types of attachments.
How to make a coupling knot?
This part must be made of durable material, as it is the link between the tool for work and the pulling force of the tiller. This assembly must have strong fixing elements on both sides.
To make it, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Metal or channel. They will be needed to create the main body of the node.
- Fasteners in the form of bolts, nuts and steel rods.
- In order for the position of the node to be changed, you need to think over which adjustment element is needed. It must be a solid and metal lever.
- To assemble this tiller part, you will need a welding machine, a set of keys, drills and a drill for metal.
Such self-made devices must correspond to the dimensions and carrying capacity of the machine. The assembly must have sufficiently strong fastening parts and fit in size to the main equipment.
Buy or do it yourself?
Of course, you need to make a universal coupler, since it will be possible to attach to it, both home-made devices and purchased ones.
The universal assembly is assembled in the following sequence:
- First you need to take 2 U-shaped metal arcs of the same size, channel bars are perfect for their manufacture. Each metal plate needs to be drilled holes: in one. 6 pcs., And in the other. 8 pcs.
- The body is a more complex part and is assembled using a welding machine. He must clearly measure and drill holes for the connecting elements, and on one of the brackets it is necessary to think over how to make a movable connection.
- The most difficult thing in this work is considered to be the manufacture of a lever, or rather, the very mechanism for adjusting the position of the tiller. Its main parts are the screw, bracket and handle.
To carry out this work, it is recommended to use a special machine on which it will be possible to grind all the necessary parts. When the hitch is assembled and ready for use, it is worth checking the strength of its attachment and fastening of the working attachment for the tiller.
Homemade tiller attachments
For tillers of medium and high power, suppliers and manufacturers today offer a huge number of attachments and attachments that provide mechanization of many operations. However, despite such attractive offers and ready-made options for supplying kits, many owners prefer to make attachments for the tiller with their own hands. And the reason is not that homemade products are cheaper. By no means, if we take the cost of materials, then this is absolutely not the case. The problem lies elsewhere. Hand-made inventory for a tiller is, for the most part, tools of labor that are universally selected in terms of their quality parameters and that meet the needs of a particular person.
This approach to the formation of a fleet of agricultural machinery makes it possible to take into account all possible features of both the site and the owner himself in the process of designing and assembling inventory.
The equipment under development for the unit is conventionally divided into equipment:
- universal purpose;
- highly specialized focus;
- auxiliary equipment and devices to simplify the management of the tiller.
The universal means include, first of all, adapters and various types of trailers, making the tiller a universal transport platform both for transporting goods and as a convenient vehicle. Some models of tilers are capable of speeds up to 25 km per hour. Although the comfort of a mini tractor is still far from here, you no longer have to walk.
Highly specialized types of equipment are most often designed to perform only 1 or a maximum of 2 operations. However, these are the most demanded tools from the point of view of consumer qualities for high-quality soil cultivation, performing operations for the care of crops, preparing forage, and even used in construction. In part, it should be noted that among special-purpose homemade products, relatively simple types of tools prevail. plows, cutters, hillers. This is something that can be done from scrap materials and using the simplest power tool. But more complex elements are made using units from other equipment.
And, of course, what makes it easier to control. a counterweight on the tiller, wheel weights and anti-slip chains, all this allows you to work with the unit all year round.
What are the gearboxes for tiller
Reducers are divided into types:
They all find their application on different types of tillers.
Differential gear converter is used in heavy duty tillers. It is well suited to engines with a vertical crankshaft. The gearbox emits little noise during operation and has a high performance. It is able to function in straight and angular patterns. Gears are used both bevel and cylindrical. The device requires the constant presence of oil in the crankcase, but this feature is compensated by its high power.
On heavy machines, the gear converter is often equipped with a gearbox. This transmission allows the tiller to move in reverse. The reverse occurs during the reverse rotation of the gears in the housing. This is achieved by changing the position of the lever outside the case.
The gear reducer is the best choice for heavy agricultural machinery. An engine equipped with this mechanism runs longer than with a worm version.
The worm gearbox is widely used for completing mini-tractors and tillers. This model has gained popularity due to its long trouble-free operation and high reliability. The worm-type device has a reverse, allowing the unit to move in reverse. A distinctive feature of this converter is the presence of a special screw and worm wheel. The thread profile on the parts is trapezoidal. They are made of high strength materials.
The screw can have a four-way or two-way thread. It matches the thread on the gear. The teeth on quality parts are made of anti-friction steel. The efficiency of the device is high. Its advantages:
- the gearbox allows you to extend the life of the engine;
- creates little noise during operation;
- the device consists of only 2 parts;
- has a large gear ratio;
- has a smooth ride;
- high self-locking effect.
All positive qualities appear with precise assembly and adjustment of the mechanism.
Reducers for a tiller: what are there, how to make a creeper with your own hands, drawings, photos, videos
the tiller used by land owners consists of several units and parts. It is easy to operate. Users are often interested in the questions of what is a gearbox for a tiller, what kind of oil to fill in it, can this device be made independently.
Angle gear do it yourself
The angular gearbox is used to dock the engine with a longitudinal crankshaft and transmit torque at right angles (for example, to drive a rotary mower).
Features of making an angular gearbox with your own hands:
- Housing. selected from a similar device (for example, a housing from a Ural motorcycle gearbox).
- Shaft and axle. the shafts can be selected ready-made or made independently from steel round bars. The gears are attached to the shafts with dowels, they rotate together. If it is necessary to install several gears to lower or increase the travel of the gearbox, an axle is installed.
- Sealed bearings. are installed in the housing bores tightly, without twisting. Before installation, parts must be lubricated.
- Bevel gears. due to the gear coupling of the two parts, the torque is transmitted. When installing, remember that a small distance must be maintained between the teeth and the parts must be lubricated with grease.
The traction of the soil tillage machine’s wheels to the soil can be improved by using lugs or a tiller creeper. The creeper is one of the hinged devices. It makes it possible to reduce the speed of the agricultural unit and increase the tractive effort together with the torque. An analogue of a gearbox works with a chain and sprockets on the shafts. If desired, this device can be made by hand. Parts are used from other technology.
Each considered converter is endowed with its own disadvantages. To reduce their number to a minimum, you should try to make the device yourself. A self-made thing can become of better quality and more convenient to use than a purchased copy.
How the tiller gearbox works
The reducer can be collapsible and non-collapsible. The latest models are installed on budget type Tillers. The parts are cheap and cannot be repaired. In case of faults, the gearbox must be replaced. Under normal operation, their service life is measured in 1-2 seasons. On expensive equipment, the engine is equipped with a collapsible converter. He regularly serves several seasons. In the event of a breakdown of individual parts, the failed part is simply replaced.
Any type of converter can include:
- case (collapsible or not);
- gears and shafts;
- belts or chains;
With the help of the listed parts, the movement is transmitted from the motor to the attached implements. The chain fits over the sprockets, the belt over the pulleys. The simplest mechanisms are equipped with a belt drive. They are also considered the weakest and most unreliable. With high torque, the belts slip and fly off the pulleys. But this design has a beneficial effect on the motor shaft. Slipping belts can be avoided by replacing them with toothed belts. With this replacement, the pulleys must also be changed.
The creation of a homemade creeper, like any other complex mechanism, begins with drawing up a drawing. This will help determine the technical indicators. what torque is planned to be achieved, how many revolutions per minute the rotor shaft should do, etc. At this stage, the main input parameter, from which one should start, is the standard power of the tiller.
At the preliminary stage, it is necessary to make or select a housing for the gearbox, since all moving elements of the creeper for the tiller must be closed.
- In accordance with the diameter of the gearbox, it is necessary to cut out the shells of the bearings from the metal, which will be mounted on the drive shaft. The flange must be located on the back of the gearbox, opposite from the bearings.
- Screw the flange to the generator body.
- Put the driving gear on the rotor shaft, and the driven gear on the driven one. Dock them together.
- Install the belt pulley on the driven shaft using spring washers and nuts.
- Make sure that all parts of the assembled creeper are docked with the rotary generator shaft.
- Put it in the case.
- Check the mechanism in action.
Other design options
This tiller creeper gearbox is highly reliable. Unlike some other solutions, it has the ability to reverse, that is, the device can move in reverse.
This device is suitable for a tiller of medium or large (from 15 HP) power. For less powerful units, it is optimal to use a worm gear, which has a large gear ratio and, accordingly, gives a greater increase in torque. But the worm gear will not allow the tiller to move in reverse, and making it yourself is much more difficult. The finished blocks are non-repairable.
A chain reducer is less commonly used. Sometimes combined gear-chain and worm-chain modifications are used.
Required materials and tools
A creeper is a conventional reduction gear that increases torque by reducing engine speed. Such gearboxes exist of different types, for the tiller the gear is most suitable.
To assemble a reduction gear reducer you will need:
- measuring and drawing devices for creating a drawing;
- saw for metal;
- drill with drills;
- steel sheet 3-4 mm thick (steel ST3 is suitable);
- finished case (from the generator);
- bevel drive and ordinary driven gears;
- driven and rotor shafts.
You will need a variety of bolts, nuts and washers for the mountings. In some cases, it is advisable to use a welding machine.
Self-made creeper for tiller
Installing a creeper on the tiller helps to increase the torque by reducing the transport (not working) speed of the device. At the same time, the operating speed practically does not change, and the tractive effort increases, due to which a much larger area can be processed.
Features of operation
After the creeper has been installed on the tiller, it is necessary to check its operation at least once every six months, periodically changing the oil in the bearings, lubricate the chains, pulley and “sprockets”. If the device is rarely used, but mainly in storage, then it should be provided with anti-corrosion treatment and high-quality preservation with the help of appropriate oil.
Before starting work, you must make sure that the gearbox housing is closed, all elements are in good order and securely fastened together. During work, only shoes with a thick leather upper can be used.
The tiller creeper can only be wiped and lubricated when it is turned off and cold.
This device is classified as a hazardous source. Minors must not be allowed to work with him.
First of all, the stars of the input shaft are mounted. If the structure is massive, the flange or keyway is fixed by means of spot welding. At the next stage, the method of fastening the driven shaft and a pair of half axles is chosen.
When mounting, take into account the possibility of displacement of the star in one of two directions. The body part is made independently or with the help of specialists. If the first option is selected, consider the features of the glands, the corresponding seals and bearings.
DIY creeper for tiller: step by step instructions, principle of operation, tips
Small-scale mechanization in modern agriculture is an indispensable thing for most processes. A self-made creeper for a tiller makes it possible to optimize the work of cultivating and hilling a personal plot or farm plots. The step-down block serves as a power converter of the units, saving the resource of the device and the costs of its operation.
Device and maintenance
To make a creeper for a tiller with your own hands, you need to understand the location and principle of operation of the structural mechanisms. In addition, you should study the rules for the maintenance, operation and storage of devices. The elements in question have both pros and cons.
A self-made creeper for a tiller often consists of one or a pair of stages, depending on the number of gears. The advantages of mechanisms include:
- long service life;
- small overall dimensions;
- possibility of equipping mechanisms with reverse.
The disadvantages of devices include poor maintainability and high cost. In case of failure, the part requires replacement as a whole, which is not so cheap. The sufficient oil level should also be checked. Lack of lubrication leads to increased wear of the unit.
A self-built creeper for a tiller allows you to process “greasy” soil, virgin soil and other types of soil. At the same time, the depth of loosening, transportation of goods, the possibility of using attachments remains at the proper level.
With a decrease in engine speed and a decrease in speed, the power of the unit is lost, which to some extent slows down the working process as a whole. In this case, a simple creeper for the tiller just helps. It is quite simple to make it with your own hands, having basic locksmith skills. These elements make it possible, without losing the power and speed indicators of the engine components, to obtain the required control over the land cultivation process. In some cases, the power of the cultivator even increases. Having some experience and knowledge, it is easy for the user to re-equip the finished device or create it on his own.
How to make a creeper for a tiller with your own hands?
At the first stage of manufacturing the mechanism under consideration, it is necessary to determine the type of transmission, working number, center distance between the drive shafts and the wheels themselves.
A do-it-yourself chain creeper for a tiller can be made according to the following scheme:
- The main part is the body. He is responsible for the quality of the entire device. In addition, the relative position of the axes to each other and the correspondence of the bearing seats are taken into account. As a rule, the skeleton is made of sheet steel by welding. In this case, one of the walls is made removable, which facilitates maintenance of the mechanism.
- The system of a self-designed creeper for a tiller includes a high-speed (input) shaft, a worm gear system or an analogue of sprockets.
- The number of teeth on the driving wheels is always greater than on the driven gears. Couplings, bearings, keys and fasteners act as auxiliary parts.
For the independent construction of the specified device, you will need the following materials and tools:
- “Angle Grinder”;
- welding machine;
- drill or screwdriver;
- appropriate drills and files;
- tape measure, caliper;
- sheet metal 5 millimeters thick;
- pieces of pipes with a diameter suitable for inserting the bearings into the inner part.
Here, the main element is a worm-type transmission. In this case, it is possible to reduce the dimensions of the cultivator and increase the weight distribution. The latter figure is improved due to the perpendicular arrangement of the drive of the wheels and shafts.
What are the advantages of worm gear?
- Large gear ratio.
- Small size.
- Light weight.
The disadvantages of the worm assembly include the lack of reverse and the need to completely replace the element when its main parts fail.
DIY creeper for tiller “Neva
On this unit, craftsmen put a device that combines gear, chain and worm gear. This feature is due to the fact that the distance between the clutch axes depends on the working module and the number of teeth. In a chain drive, the distance is adjusted by adding or subtracting links.
When designing a tiller, developers do not always take into account the optimal location and interaction of all coupled units. It is often required to incorporate intermediate parts, such as a transfer element, into the design. This option is quite within the power of the chain drive, which compensates for the distance when traction is transformed from the gears or “worm” to the wheel shaft.
Small-scale mechanization in agriculture is very popular. tillers and cultivators are more often purchased for private farms. They allow you to perform all the work on the processing of fields without significant costs for maintenance and operation of equipment.
Combined with the appropriate attachments, the tillers are the best option for soil cultivation. The demand for these machines is due to the fact that they quickly and economically perform the assigned tasks, in contrast to bulky and outdated combines and tractors.