DIY Front Tiller Adapter
Modern tiller is a high-tech agricultural machine that allows you to process a vegetable garden with high quality, saving the time and effort of its owner. Most tillers can be retrofitted with a variety of additional designs. One of these designs is the adapter to the tiller. its presence makes working with the unit many times more convenient and pleasant.
How to make an adapter to the tiller with your own hands?
Phased assembly of equipment is performed in a specific order. Be sure to adhere to the algorithm described below, otherwise you risk making a number of irreparable mistakes.
Before you start assembling the adapter to the tiller, carefully study the drawings and dimensions of each of the elements used. The figure below will show the location of parts in the structure. Collecting a homemade adapter is best in the garage, as you will definitely need access to an electrical outlet. The further work plan is described in detail below.
Swivel bracket and rear-view mirror manufacturing
To make this adapter part, proceed in this order:
- Weld or bend a workpiece from a pipe with a diameter of 5–6 cm. Weld 2 steel bushings to its upper part. they are necessary to provide the effect of rocking the adapter frame in the longitudinal and transverse axes;
- Put on the bracket and fix one side of it on the shank attached to the frame, and the other directly on the tiller.
In order to quickly install and remove the bracket, weld the handle to it.
You will need a rearview mirror when transporting a loaded cart. Mount the part on the tiller handle or secure it to the rear of the trunk.
To save time on making a part, you can take a ready-made mirror from a car or moped.
Frame fabrication and seat assembly
Using an adapter with a seat allows the tiller to be converted into a mini tractor. You can choose a chair to adapt to your taste. In doing so, we advise you to pay attention to the seat with a built-in shock absorber. this way, you will avoid the need to install springs. The frame is assembled in the following sequence:
- Take a piece of pipe, 5.7 cm in diameter, and weld the shank to it. it is necessary for mounting the swing arm. The bracket itself must be fixed with a pin;
- Weld a 5 × 5 cm cross-piece to the frame. Both parts should be perpendicular to each other;
- Weld a steel sheet, 3 mm thick, to the corner and frame;
- Bend the side edges of the sheet, about 1 cm long, down. this way you protect yourself from cuts;
- Bend and weld the wings, to the top of which you weld the wing flaps. Latest equip with reflectors.
Be sure to equip the main frame with an additional pull-out frame made of a tube, 51 mm thick. In this case, the telescopic tube is attached to the fixed main frame by means of a bolt.
Tiller adapter. preparation and production of basic elements
Despite the simplicity of the design, making the adapter is a rather complicated procedure. To make a fixture, you first need to study the drawings. The more accurate diagrams you have at your disposal, the better the work result. Manufacturing will require certain tools and materials.
Be sure to prepare:
- electric drill;
- welding machine;
- steel sheet, 5 mm thick;
- several square pipes, 1 inch in diameter;
- electric hacksaw;
- set of bolts and nuts.
Next, we move on to making the main structural elements. You will need:
- Make a hitch. it is a welded mechanism, which will later be installed in the base of the adapter frame and attached to it with bolts. The hitch consists of two pieces of square pipe welded together and one piece of water pipe, no more than 1 inch in diameter and 20 cm long each. Insert a stem with a welded tee, which is not fully pressed by the bolt, into the water pipe. Be sure to lubricate the stem with grease or grease. this will ensure free rotation of the tee along the horizontal axis when moving the tiller with an adapter over bumpy terrain;
- Make a knot to fix the wheels. for this take 2 pieces of pipe, 1 “in diameter and 10 cm long, and weld them perpendicular to each other. After that, insert the horizontal section into the fixing pipe and securely fix it with the bolt. The vertical section of the pipe will serve as a place for attaching the axle and bearing with the wheel.
Having prepared the equipment, materials and having made the main elements of the adapter for the tiller, you can proceed to the assembly of the equipment. Be sure to follow the instructions in the drawings, since the slightest mistake will lead to incorrect operation of the entire structure.
Tiller adapter. design and function
At its core, the tiller adapter is a trolley that significantly increases the functionality of the agricultural unit and makes working with it much more comfortable. Most adapters are equipped with seats, some of them come with a lifting lever, which greatly simplifies the work with the equipment.
Each adapter is designed with footrests next to which the brake pedal is located. In addition to it, a hand brake lever is provided in the adapter device, lowering which the driver finally fixes the wheels in a stationary position. All parts of the tiller adapter are attached to a sturdy frame. At the bottom of the frame is a wheelbase consisting of two medium-sized wheels. There is a hitch at the front or back of the adapter that allows you to attach the structure to the tiller. The standard hitch is a single, two-piece design. The first plays the role of a connecting link, and the second acts as a regulator.
In the design of some adapters, there are also universal double couplings, which allow, in addition to the adapter, to install other devices necessary for operation on the tiller.
Creating a trunk for the adapter
You will need a trunk for collecting and transporting crops. Due to the fact that after mounting the trunk, the center of gravity of the tiller is transferred, this element will also become indispensable when driving on hilly terrain. The trunk is made in the following sequence:
- First, assemble the frame. for this, take several water pipes. One of them should be central, and have a diameter of 1 inch. All other pipes should be ½ ”or ¼” in diameter;
- Place the support pipes on the central tube and weld it to the trunk;
- Fix the support pipes to the block rod and gearbox.
You can choose the height of the supports based on the position of the trunk. At the same time, remember that it should not lie on the tiller, but hang over it. The trunk is mounted by means of supports above those elements of the tiller that do not require free access to themselves. Never fasten the part above the instrument panels, as well as the fuel and oil tank.
Features of the adapter design
This attachment includes:
- driver’s seat;
- a pair of wheels;
- wheel axle;
- coupling device.
That is, the adapter gives the impression of a cart that is attached to the main equipment. As a result, it makes it look like a mini tractor.
Now let’s talk about each component in detail.
How to add remote steering to an old outboard
- To make a front adapter for a do-it-yourself steering tiller, a frame is required. A body or a driver’s seat is attached to it. The frame is mounted on the chassis.
- The driver’s seat is attached to the frame for ease of use. This was conceived in order to make it pleasant and easy to operate the equipment in the process of gardening.
- Wheels and wheel axle make gardening easier for the operator with this small tractor.
- There are two types of wheels for a home tractor. rubber and metal. The metal wheels can be used for reliable work in the fields. The rubber wheels are equipped with a deep tread pattern. This allows the operator to move the machine on unpaved roads and, if necessary, off-road. In any case, the wheels for the adapter are supplied with the purchase in a set for the equipment itself. But if the user wants to change them, you need to pay attention to their type and size.
- Device for coupling (fastening) with a tiller. The fastening for the MTZ unit is made of steel or cast iron, using welding. The hitch is one of the essential building blocks. It provides a secure connection to the motorized part of the trailed implement. The most used is the U-shaped attachment point, because thanks to this device, the vehicle turns out to be more stable.
Steering Tiller Operation
Let’s say a few words about the features of steering a tiller with a steering wheel, and why it is recommended to perform just this option during assembly. It is not for nothing that this type of conventional and home-made cars is so popular, because it has many advantages:
- the operator does not have to waste his energy on walking behind a mini tractor;
- the traction potential of the equipment is realized one hundred percent;
- such a mini tractor is more maneuverable and functional;
- now, in order to process a plot far from home, you do not have to additionally transport a tiller. you can simply drive it on it, like in a regular car or tractor;
- control is more lightweight and convenient than other types;
- now you do not need to hold in your hands the entire mass of this heavy and bulky apparatus,
- it becomes possible to quickly assemble and disassemble the unit;
- control parts are not significantly modified during rework;
- good weight balance along the axes.
We will not mention here the noise of work and other characteristic features, in principle, of all tractors. Let’s just say about one characteristic drawback. not very reliable stability, which is associated with a movable hitch. However, the pluses are of course more impressive.
Algorithm of actions
We start manufacturing attachments for the tiller.
Important! Before starting work on the drawings, be sure to check the compliance of the sizes and numbers.
To make a steering adapter for a tiller, you will need a frame with a bushing and a fork. This will allow the tiller to rotate freely through the steering wheel.
- Everything will start with making the frame. It can be made from cut pieces of the selected steel of the required length. The metal can be divided by an angle grinder and the elements can be electrically welded or bolted together.
- Next, we build the chassis. If your tiller’s motor is in front, then the track size must be determined by the main wheels. The rear ones are mounted to the frame using an axle. You can create it from a piece of pipe of a suitable width. At the ends of this pipe, we press in the bearings with bushings. Wheels will be installed on them. If the tiller’s engine is located at the back, then the track width must be greater, otherwise the mini tractor will not be able to keep running normally during operation. In such a situation, it would be better to remove and reinstall the base wheels of the tiller, but on a more spacious bridge.
- To make the steering wheel to the unit, it is not required to additionally remove the handles from the car or motorcycle. Stop using the handle. In other words, the operator will be able to control the mini tractor with a steering wheel that looks like a motorcycle. However, with it the operator will not be able to backtrack normally. That is why it will be preferable to mount the steering column on a mini tractor.
- When using an all-metal frame, the steering will be integrated with the front axle of the tiller. You can make an articulated support, then the control column will rotate the entire front half-frame. To do this, the craftsman will need to attach the cogwheel to the front frame. The second gear is installed on the steering column.
- The seat, which can be previously removed from a passenger car, needs to be welded to the sled frame. The technician must ensure that it adjusts, especially when operating the front adapter attached to the tiller.
- If you intend to use a mini tractor to work with plows and cultivators, then you will need additional welding of the bracket. An auxiliary hydraulic system must be installed to operate the attachment. The pump for it can be easily dismantled from agricultural machinery. If you have to work with semi-trailers, then you need to take care of additional welding of the towbar to the rear of the frame. It can also be successfully borrowed from a passenger car.
- Fastening (coupling) can be done by hand. To do this, you need drawings, which are easily searched for in articles on the top results of the desired topic. And we will talk about how exactly to implement the coupling.
To make a U-shaped hitch, you need a metal channel of suitable thickness and size. The hitch is attached to the tiller under the steering column through pre-drilled holes at specific locations. A bracket and pins are inserted into them. It is important to ensure that the parts are of high quality, this will avoid unnecessary problems in the future and waste of time in the present. All parts must be made of high quality high strength steel.
This completes the installation of the front adapter on the “Neva” type tiller. After the completion of the assembly, it remains only necessary to lubricate the mini-tractor and test it for functioning. The adapter assembly can then be considered complete. Now you can safely deal with the required work on land plots with the help of new technology.
Description of the adapter for the motoblock
The adapter is a special module for moving on the trailer. With its help, you will be able to operate the machine in a sitting position and at the same time till the soil. For example, the adapter to the MTZ tiller has steering control. It is quite possible to do it yourself. One of the sections of the article below is devoted to how this can be done. In the meantime, let’s talk about the purpose of this attachment.
Using an adapter can greatly simplify the use of this home technology. You will be able to change attachments for hilling or planting potatoes, flat cutter, plow and other accessories. Also, the adapter speeds up absolutely any garden work. In other words, if you apply such a device in practice, then the speed of labor will increase from 5 to 10-11 km / h.
Types of adapters for tiller
There are several types of adapters for mini tractors, including for homemade.
- With lifting arm. The presented type of suspended equipment will simplify control, movement around the site.
- For the transportation of goods. They are equipped with special bodies, capable of withstanding the maximum load.
- With long or short drawbar. Short type. for lightweight type, long. for heavy machinery.
- With telescopic drawbar. This design allows for width adjustment.
This technique is also divided by the type of construction:
Making an adapter to the tiller with your own hands
Any activity on a land plot takes a lot of time and effort. For this reason, gardeners are increasingly using special equipment. such as Tillery. However, it is impossible to do everything with this unit. Without a special adapter, you will not be able to plow or huddle the ground, as well as clear the area from snow and construction debris. A trolley with a seat for a tiller nowadays costs quite impressive money. However, there is a way out. Today we will talk about how you can make a homemade adapter for a home tiller without any special effort.
- Description of the adapter for the motoblock
- Features of the adapter design
- Adapter making instructions
- Algorithm of actions
HOW TO INSTALL BOAT STEERING SYSTEM
The presented view assumes a rigid fixation on the tiller. The steering gear is performed in the format of a separate independent unit. In addition, a pair of wheels, which act as a steering gear, are installed both at the front and at the rear. Each of them is guided by personal preferences. The position of the steering gear is also related to spare parts, daily use. Driving a “home” mini-tractor with a homemade adapter is no more difficult than, for example, an ATV.
Many owners do not put their tiller on the joke in winter. With its help, you can free large areas of the estate from the snow cover. Snow removal devices, aggregated with it, can be divided into several groups:
- rotary throwers;
- brush mechanisms.
The simplest and most affordable is the moldboard type device. The width of the shovel, fixed to the front end of the tiller, can be from 0.8 to 1.5 meters. The choice of its size depends on the power of the motor. Blade design provides tilt and swing angle adjustment.
Where the shovel is helpless, which is often the case with high snow runs, the rotary snow blower will get the job done. It is connected to the power take-off shaft of the tiller. The screw-rotor design has a high performance and confidently cleans the area from snow cover up to 50 cm high.
The brush mount is used to clean areas with expensive decorative coatings that require the most careful work.
For irrigation of plots located far from power lines and close to water bodies, motor pumps have been created. This type of tiller attachment is connected to the PTO shaft. The average productivity of motor pumps is 20-40 m3 of liquid per hour. The generated head reaches 4-5 meters with a suction depth of up to 10 meters.
Making an adapter to the tiller with your own hands
If the design of the tiller can be called simple, then this cannot be said about the process of its manufacture. When developing a homemade adapter for a tiller, you need to pay attention to the drawing diagram and adapter dimensions, which play a key role in further development.
First of all, you need to have the following tools and parts with you:
- metal plates;
- 2 wheels;
- metal corners
When developing a drawing of a future adapter for a tiller with your own hands, it is necessary to take into account what constituent elements are included in the design:
- circuit design. at the very beginning, it is necessary to calculate everything so that all systems and mechanisms are in balance, and to prevent cases of overloading the system. You can use the already drawn diagrams, but you can do it yourself;
- creation of the main parts. during the practical implementation of the drawing, special attention should be paid to the rotation of the body. It should be easy, without interruption. The frame is based on metal pipes and corners. The adapter body is made of a metal plate;
- installation of a driver’s seat. It is placed on the beam at a distance of 80 centimeters from the front of it. The design can be supplemented by seat adjustment, additional levers.
The design can also be supplemented with additional agricultural tools:
Tiller plowing with adapter: instructions
The plowing quality is greatly improved when done in conjunction with an adapter. The functionality of the machine is increased up to the level of the tractor. The plowing process is easy, but measured. Devices weighing more than 100 kilograms are better suited for processing virgin lands.
Soil processing takes place in several stages. It is best to handle wet soil. It is important to change the direction of plowing every year.
Everyone knows the saying that the king is played by the retinue. Without the accompaniment of a crowd of nobles, advisers and formidable guards, any monarch will seem to you an ordinary person. Likewise, without the addition of attachments, the most expensive tiller is a useless piece of metal.
We will talk about the types of hitch for this type of equipment and their capabilities in this article.
The steering adapter provides the ability to turn an ordinary tiller into a real mini-tractor. Engine power will remain unchanged, but the number of functions performed will significantly increase.
Attachment is due to a hitch that is placed in front of the adapter.
The design includes the following elements:
- a pair of wheels;
- clutch mechanism;
- brake and gas;
- operator’s seat;
At the back there is a mechanism to which, if necessary, additional attachments can be attached.
Work on the land plot and on the territory of the estate is associated with the transportation of fertilizers and feed, crops and firewood. These tasks can be solved using a trailer truck. It turns the tiller into a “short-range” vehicle.
A useful option, which is equipped with some types of motoblock trailers, is a dump body that facilitates unloading.
With movable joint
Such units are also called a break adapter. It is the lightest and most economical device to manufacture. The movable clutch is located at the front. The disadvantage is that you have to turn the entire mechanism, without using additional control. Because of this, the radius and angle of rotation will be larger.
Tiller design with adapter
This homemade tiller is simple and consists of only a few components:
- Wheels and wheel axle.
- Adapter Hitch and Tiller Hitch.
- Seating area for control.
In simple terms, the adapter is a trolley with a seat on wheels. When the adapter is connected to the tiller, then we can say that this is already a mini tractor. Of course, power, its much less, but the functionality is the same. Additional attachments turn such a structure into a multifunctional tiller, expanding the list of possible jobs. Few will refute the dignity and necessity of having such a mini tractor on their site.
Potato planter and potato digger
The main culture of our fields and summer cottages. potatoes require significant labor costs when planting and harvesting. To mechanize these operations, two attachments are used: a potato planter and a potato digger.
The first is supplied with a small furrow plow. Immediately behind it, a hopper is installed on the frame, from which the potatoes fall into the ground at regular intervals. Two tilting discs, attached to the rear of the frame, fill the bed. So in one pass, three operations are performed at once.
Anyone who has dug a potato with a shovel at least once will certainly appreciate the usefulness of this simple device. The potato digger, mounted on the tiller hitch, consists of a plow with steel rods welded to it. Raising the ground under the bushes, he carefully removes the tubers to the surface. Collecting them in a bag or box after such processing is not difficult.
In addition to fan-type diggers, there are more efficient vibrating screen diggers. They are designed for large areas. The connection of such equipment is made through the power take-off shaft, which transmits torque to the pulley of the potato digger, making the working elements of the mechanism vibrate.