DIY Gas Trimmer Repair
The presence of a gas trimmer significantly simplifies the life of those who often have to mow grass around the house or in the garden, as well as harvest hay for animals. However, the simplicity of the operation does not exclude the occurrence of malfunctions, moreover, the complexity of the mechanism entails the complexity of the repair. And after-sales service imposes additional costs on the tool.
In order to extend the life of the tool, preventive measures are necessary. So, for example, do not overload the device; each time after 15 minutes, take a 10-minute rest. Do not neglect the rules of operation and do not mow the grass, the height of which exceeds the permissible. If a breakdown occurs, do not rush to contact the after-sales service, inspect the device to determine the cause, maybe it is possible to actually repair the gas trimmer with your own hands, especially if you have some skill in working with the equipment.
First, find out how to independently find the cause of a device malfunction, then talk about why these breakdowns occur and how to fix it.
How to find a breakdown. Symptoms
Despite the fact that the gas trimmer is a complex device, some breakdowns can be found and easily fixed without the help of a service center or a wizard.
Here are some ways to diagnose a breakdown at home:
- First, check the spark, because without it there will be no ignition. If there is no spark, then the problem is in the spark plug, or in the ignition itself;
- Also, if the candle is dry, you probably need to repair the fuel supply or clean the carburetor;
- If the candle is filled with fuel, then wipe it dry and try to start the tool again;
- If everything is in order, but the tool does not work, then most likely the problem is in the engine. If you do not know how to fix this part of the tool, then it is better to take the gas trimmer to the service.
Of course, we all want to save on the services of the master, but do not forget that they charge money for unique knowledge and experience that allows them to fix the trimmer with a 100% guarantee.
If you make a list of breakdowns that owners of gasoline trimmers most often encounter, it turns out like this:
- Broken rod;
- Fuel supply;
- Air filter;
Below we will try to help those who want to fix the gas trimmer with their own hands using improvised tools.
Check the gas trimmer spark plug. Is it dry or in fuel?
Causes of breakdowns and repair methods
If, for example, the tool stalls immediately after the factory or does not start at all, then pay attention to the ignition system:
- Turn out the candle. If there are traces of a gasoline-oil mixture on it, then the problem is caused by carb adjustment. Violation of the rules of a cold start in the form of pumping fuel also leads to the throwing of a candle, and the low quality of the gasoline used leaves a thick layer of black soot. In these cases, replacement of this part will be required. If the candle is dry, then the malfunction is related to the fuel supply.
- Accumulation of dirt in the gas tank leads to clogged feed hose. Disconnect it. If the fuel does not flow, then the fault in clogged filter or breather, which is cleaned with a needle, but the first one needs to be changed completely from time to time to avoid complications. It is advisable to do this every 3 months.
- In addition, replacement is often necessary in gas trimmers. Air filter, because if it becomes clogged, the fuel mixture is not sufficiently enriched.
Now a few recommendations that will help you fix the breakdown and repair the tool yourself.
DIY repair tips
To as little as possible to ask yourself how to repair an engine, carburetor, or gearbox of a gas trimmer yourself, do not purchase low-end models, as it will be extremely difficult to find details for them, and at official dealers the do not always correspond to the capabilities of buyers. If you are new to working with complex technical products, then it’s better to contact a service representative for help. Self-adjusting the carburetor, for example, can subsequently lead to the combustion of the entire piston system. In addition, some parts cannot be repaired at all, and an entire unit is subject to replacement; repairing one yourself in this case will not make sense. Also, do not rush to open the tool body, if it is under warranty.
To help, we can offer you to turn to the services of a master for repairing trimmers, which can be found on one of the sites, for example, pro.Ru. Link (do not forget to choose your city). At least, if the repair is carried out by the master, you can be sure of the result.