DIY snow knife for tiller
Required materials and tools
In order to make a shovel for a tiller with your own hands, you will need some materials and tools. Depending on the model chosen, these indicators may differ, therefore, all data should be clarified prematurely. As a rule, they are indicated on the sites where the drawings for certain models are located.
But for a universal design, you will need the following set of tools:
- a steel barrel with a volume of 200 liters;
- an iron strip of approximate dimensions 90x105x4 millimeters;
- profile square pipe, 1 meter 40×40 mm;
- a set of bolts and nuts of the required parameters;
- drills for metal of suitable sizes;
- a set of keys for the corresponding nuts;
- rubber sheet;
- thick sheet of steel;
- Angle Grinder;
- a set of discs for an angle grinder;
- electric drill.
After all the necessary materials and tools are ready, you should start collecting the shovel on the tiller with your own hands.
The simplest snow removal mechanism can be made from a 200-liter old barrel, since it will have a perfectly round shape from the very beginning, which is just right for such a “gadget”.
This avoids unnecessary labor costs when heating a sheet of metal and providing it with the desired shape.
To begin with, in such a barrel, you need to cut off the lid and bottom using an angle grinder. Then the barrel is sawn by an angle grinder lengthwise into three parts equal in width.
Best Tillers In 2021. Tillers Review Buying Guide On Amazon
The left and right curved parts must be welded together, thereby forming a bucket for the future apparatus, and the remaining strips must be cut into small parts. These parts will later be used to improve the rigidity of the snow blower.
They need to be evenly welded to the bucket by welding and at the same time do not forget to be sure to weld two strips on the sides.
In order for the device to come out reliable and of high quality, it is necessary to weld a knife at the bottom of the bucket. To do this, you need a strip of iron 800x95x3 mm. It is necessary to drill three holes of 5-7 millimeters in it. The distance between the stripes should not exceed 110 millimeters.
Features of making a blade-blade
A drawing of a blade for a tiller will allow you to figure out what design features the manufactured element will have. Thus, the dimensions of the device are 850x220x450 millimeters. The shovel must be made of steel sheet, the thickness of which is 3 millimeters.
The racks, which are located inside, must be made of sheet steel of impressive thickness. These additions act as stiffeners. They need to drill holes in them to fix the blade to the rods.
It is important to keep the equipment upright in relation to the front of the tiller.
The dump for the Neva tiller can be manufactured using the same technology. To mount the element, use a bracket that is installed on the legs of the tiller. The base of the folding front support is fixed to the latter. In this case, you need to use bolts M10.
Additionally, the equipment should be secured to the tiller using adjusting rods, the number of which is limited to two. When not in use, they allow the brackets to be relieved. The tiller blade is bolted to the bottom.
The knife must have dimensions of 3x100x850 mm.
From the barrel
It is desirable to carry out the work in the following sequence:
- First, you need to mark the barrel. The bottom and sides are divided into 3 identical parts. Then the product is divided using an angle grinder. The rest of the bottom is cut in a circle. The end dense part must be left for better blade rigidity.
- When using a thin-walled barrel, the 2 parts must be folded and stapled. Before bonding, it is better to lubricate the material using hot bitumen, which will improve the metal’s resistance to corrosion. This will increase the bucket weight and reduce impact noise. Parts are fixed with rivets or bolts.
- Around the perimeter of the shovel, you need to attach a stiffening strip of steel at least 3 mm thick. The strip is welded with a welding machine using bolts or rivets. It is better to strengthen the upper and lower parts of the shovel by cutting out the inserts from the remnants.
- The width of the transport belt attached to the bottom of the blade should be such that it protrudes from 3 to 10 cm, but this depends on the area of operation of the snow blower. The tape can be made removable, which allows you to work with bulk material.
The finished tiller shovel must be cleaned of corrosion and scale. Treat with anti-corrosion agent and paint.
Homemade snow shovel
To make a snow shovel for the Neva tiller on your own, you first need to collect the necessary tools and materials. So, we need:
- an old steel barrel with a capacity of 200 liters;
- a strip of iron with dimensions of approximately 850x100x3 mm;
- 1 m of a square pipe with a section of 40×40 mm;
- bolts М10, М12 and М8, as well as washers and nuts;
- a set of drills for metal;
- set of wrenches;
- a sheet of thick durable rubber;
- small but thick steel sheet;
- angle grinder with discs for metal;
- welding machine;
- hand electric drill.
After all the tools, materials and drawings have been collected, you can start making a do-it-yourself blade for the tiller. The simplest solution would be to make a bucket from an old 200 liter barrel, since it initially has the optimal roundness.
In this case, it is not necessary to heat the metal sheets and bend them, giving them the desired shape. So, you need an old barrel, from which you need to cut off the lid and bottom of the angle grinder. The resulting pipe should be cut lengthwise into three identical segments.
These two thirds must be joined together along the contour using a welding machine, and the remaining third must be cut with an angle grinder into strips that will be used to ensure sufficient rigidity.
Attach the shovels one strip at a time, and distribute several pieces evenly along the entire length of the blade.
Homemade snow plow design
Now, to further strengthen the entire structure of the blade, you need to make a knife at the bottom of the bucket. This will require an iron strip with dimensions of 850x100x3 mm.
Using an electric drill, drill three holes with a diameter of 5-6 mm and a distance between them of 100-120 mm in the knife. This is necessary to strengthen the rubber pad, which will prevent the bucket from damaging the road surface.
The knife is attached to the working edge of the bucket using a bolt connection.
After assembling the snow shovel and blade, you need to make and mount the blade mount. Weld a piece of pipe to a homemade motoblock blade in the center of the structure. In the middle of the pipe, by welding, fix a semicircle made of a thick sheet of metal and make several holes in it to set the required angles of rotation and fix the tiller blade.
Next, you need to take another piece of square pipe and make an L-shaped holder out of it.
The short side of this holder is installed in a pivoting semicircle, and the other end of the pipe is bolted to the frame of the power unit.
To adjust the height of the blade, two bolts are used, screwed into the recess of a square pipe, which is welded to the hitch and is put on the L-shaped holder. The video shows a snow shovel for a tiller and working with it.
As you can see, anyone who knows how to handle tools and an electric welding machine can independently create a snow plow from a barrel or a gas cylinder.
There is nothing complicated in this, for this you only need the simplest drawings, of which there are plenty of them on the Internet, tools and materials available on the farm of almost any craftsman.
In addition, this will make it possible to significantly save on the purchase of ready-made attachments. The video shows the installation and operation of the blade on the tiller.
Any tiller company can also offer a range of snow plows. There are popular models on sale from manufacturers such as Centaur, Neva, Zirka, etc.
The only big advantage of factory designs over homemade ones is that they are made of high quality steel and are harder to damage. over, such models last longer than homemade ones.
But, on the other hand, they cost a lot.
There are a lot of options for factory dumps, so you should check before buying whether this model is suitable for your existing tiller. At the factory, snow plows are not equipped with spring mechanisms due to low speed.
If the tiller’s speed is low, then the protective mechanisms for contact with the ground lose their meaning. over, in the factory models there are no mechanisms for lifting and turning the unit. In this regard, the price of the factory design is reduced.
For higher performance, it is recommended to replace conventional rubber wheels with factory or homemade lugs. This will speed up the work process.
Blade for tiller: do it yourself, shovel, drawings, how to make, snow plow, dimensions
Blade for clearing snow on an ATV
Do you need an ATV blade for you? If so, why? Will the snow plow be useful for an ATV and can handle heavy snow drifts??
In the northern regions, concepts such as snow, blizzard, snow drifts are very common.
In winter, in the outbacks, in villages, and even in underdeveloped towns, you often go out into the street, look, and there is hell. Everywhere the snow pile is generated, you can’t pass it.
You have to wait half a day for a tractor or some other snowblower to pass. Many have large areas in the yard on their personal plot, summer cottages, which are also covered with snow.
But the difference is this: no one there will clean your snow. And you have to turn back such volumes yourself.
Of course, some people are just for joy, but for others, cleaning the snow brings certain inconveniences, because it will take a lot of effort and time. And so if you have an ATV in the possession, or better on tracks and large territories of personal plots, I advise you to purchase a blade for an ATV.
This thing or an additional component of a quadric is simply necessary, and its purchase will make life more fun and freer in time, and your paths, paths, parking lots, ice skating rinks will be neat. Who is not afraid of the cold, you can get a children’s ATV and give the child the opportunity to frolic in the winter)).
Snow plow for ATV is quite simple and quick to install. Its main components:
- locking mechanism. Thanks to it, you can easily remove and install the blade in a short time alone;
- swivel mechanism. Has up to five positions of rotation;
- depreciation mechanism. Powerful springs will allow you to hit the oncoming obstacle, reducing the possibility of blade breakage. Adjustment is carried out with a screw tension;
- fasteners for the winch. Under your careful guidance of your winch control skills, the fasteners will make it easy to raise and lower the knife.
The blade for the ATV is made of steel, the thickness of which is from 2 to 6 mm.
When choosing a snow plow specifically for your ATV, it is worth considering the necessary requirements. The case is as follows: dumps differ in height and width. Width should be slightly wider than ATV.
This is explained by the following: during cleaning, the bucket must clear the road from snow directly by the ATV itself, it is necessary in order to better adhere the wheels to the road surface, and snow chains can also help with this.
Otherwise, it will be difficult for the square to move, and if there is a lot of snow, you will not be able to clean the required area.
Depending on the control and lifting method, the blades can be divided into three types:
- snow plow for ATV with manual lifting;
- lifting with a winch;
- operation of an electric motor or pneumatic control
here is a video of a pneumatically controlled blade, we look interesting
The first way speaks for itself. But here you have to sweat a little, but such a snow plow for an ATV is the most affordable and cheapest option. The second method is slightly better. maneuvers with the bucket are performed by a winch pre-installed on the machine, the third case is an electric motor. This method is the most technologically advanced, but also expensive.
Remember, not every square can remove snow. The power must not be less than 300 cubes. Otherwise, the efficiency will be small.
Blade design features
The blade is an attachment in the form of a shovel or a bucket, installed on the tiller in order to clear the adjacent territory from snow and debris, as well as level the soil. A snow blower for a tiller greatly simplifies cleaning, and can be used both in the house area and in the common area.
- only forward;
- with a slope of 30 ° to the left;
- with a slope of 30 ° to the right.
Before proceeding directly to the manufacture of the snow plow, you should choose the optimal angle of the shovel position, and fix it on the tiller using the L-shaped mount.
Blade from a gas cylinder. how to do it yourself?
One of the most common options is to make a blade from a 200 liter barrel or from a gas cylinder. Such a nozzle for snow removal will successfully cope with clearing the local area from caked ice-covered snow masses, and will save you time and effort.
As in the first case, you will need a detailed diagram, which will describe in detail all the dimensions and installation location of the main elements of the snow blower. Further, to make an auger or rotary snow blower, you will need to prepare the same materials and tools as in the first case. Steel sheets and stiffeners do not need to be purchased. a cylinder or barrel will be used instead.
A snow plow for a tiller is manufactured as follows:
- Cut an empty barrel or cylinder into 3 parts. as a result, you should have 3 curved segments, from which you need to make a shovel;
- Weld 2 segments from the resulting three to each other along the contour. As a result, you will receive a product with a thickness of 3 mm. this is quite enough for high-quality snow removal;
- Install a sturdy steel blade to reinforce the bottom of the blade. Drill 3 holes in the knife with a pitch of 10 and a diameter of 6 mm. When installing the knife on the bucket, place a rubber gasket between the elements;
- In the middle part of the installed pipe, weld a semicircle in which 3 holes are made in advance. they will be used to securely fix the turning corners of the bucket;
- From another piece of pipe, make an L-shaped holder. Insert one end of the part into one of the holes in the semicircle, and fix the other on the tiller frame. You can see the result of the work done in the photo.
A ready-made snow shovel will help remove a large amount of freshly fallen and packed snow. Thanks to the large bucket width, you can clear a significant swath, saving you time and effort.
For better cleaning of the local area, a sweeping brush can be installed on the manufactured dump. It should be bolted just behind the bucket. If you want to use this element, then during the manufacture of the blade, 2 pipes must be welded to its side parts, at least 1 m long.A third pipe is welded perpendicularly to the pipes, and the brush itself is welded to it.
Often so much snow falls over several winter days that it can be quite difficult to remove it with a shovel alone. In this case, a tiller will come to the rescue, which can be equipped with a homemade blade. This will help clear the area, saving you time and energy.
How to make a do-it-yourself blade for a tiller?
A shovel for a tiller is one of the simplest options for a blade, but this does not mean that it will take 30 minutes to make it and a minimum of scrap materials. On the contrary, if you want to make a shovel for a tiller, you will need to carefully prepare and purchase all the necessary tools and materials in advance.
In order for the homemade blade to turn out as high quality as possible, be sure to study the drawings. They will tell you the dimensions and order of fastening the elements of the clearing device.
After a detailed study of the drawings, prepare all the necessary equipment and materials. To work you will need:
- tin sheets, at least 3 mm thick. The dimensions of the sheets must be 85 x 22 x 45 cm;
- 1 metal stand. a steel pipe is suitable for this;
- 4 stiffening ribs, about 4 mm thick;
- a strip of steel long enough to cover the blade. The thickness of the strip must be at least 5 mm;
- 2 lugs for fastening the blade rod;
- a set of washers and nuts;
- square pipe, with a cross section of 4 × 4 cm and a length of 1 m;
- a set of drills with a diameter of 5–6 and 8–9 mm;
- a flat piece of rubber;
- 2 rods, 52 cm long each;
- 1 sheet of steel, 10–12 mm thick with dimensions 60 x 60 cm;
- welding machine;
- angle grinder with discs for cutting steel;
- hammer drill or electric drill.
Having all of the above materials and tools on hand will make it easier for you to make a mounted snow blower for a tiller. The correct procedure is as follows:
- Make the intake bucket first. To do this, take the stiffeners and weld the frame from them with three horizontal and four vertical guides. Next, heat the steel sheets with a gas burner and carefully bend the metal so that it takes the shape of a ladle. Weld the finished element to the frame made of stiffeners. As a result, you should have a snow plow identical to the one shown in the photo;
- Next, make a knife for clearing snow. this element should grind the packed snow and strengthen the snow blower on the tiller. To make a knife, take a steel strip and drill 3 identical holes in it, the diameter of which should be 5–6 mm. The distance between them should not be less than 10 cm. Next, fasten the knife with bolts, putting a rubber gasket between it and the bucket;
- The next step will be the manufacture and installation of the fastening mechanism. Cut a 4 x 4 cm piece of pipe and weld it to the back of the bucket about the middle of the element. In the middle of the tube, weld a piece in the shape of a semicircle. for this, take a thick piece of steel. In a semicircle, make 3 identical holes, which will later be needed to screw in the bolts;
- Then take the same piece of pipe and make a holder out of it that resembles the letter “G”. Carefully insert one end of the holder into one of the holes in the semicircle, and fasten the other end securely to the tiller frame;
- The bucket lift can be adjusted by means of two bolts screwed into the surface of the existing recesses in the square tube. The video will tell you more about the manufacture of a snow plow.
Having made a shovel on a snow tiller, it is imperative to check the operability of the device. First of all, test the serviceability of the blade height adjustment mechanism. this will give confidence that when cleaning in the yard, you will not damage the decorative coating of the local area. The snow plow attachment to the tiller should not outweigh the agricultural machine. if you notice that the center of gravity of the machine and attachments is broken, be sure to attach the weighting weights to the rear of the tiller.
Installing a snow blower on a tiller. about installation in detail
The blade must be fastened to the tiller by means of a system of brackets that must be welded to the tiller’s supporting structure. Use two rods that will be inoperative as additional locks. The rods will serve to reduce the load on the brackets used.
It is not recommended to use bolts without brackets for fastening for a number of reasons. Firstly, they can freeze to the structure, which is why you cannot remove the blade from the tiller. Secondly, the bolts, even anchor bolts, during the operation of the tiller with a blade, will succumb to strong vibration, which will lead to their deformation or loss during cleaning. Third, the bolts will not be able to hold the bucket full of snow. As a result, the fasteners will break sooner or later.
Rules for operating a tiller with a homemade blade
In order for the snow cleaning to take place without unexpected incidents, you should adhere to certain rules for using a homemade blade. These include:
- to save the engine resource, use a snow blade with a height of at least 5 cm. in other cases, you can use only a sweeping brush by raising the bucket;
- when using a tiller with a dump, put special anti-slip chains on the wheels of the unit in advance. they will prevent the machine from skidding on ice;
- when regularly removing a large amount of snow, check the tiller engine from time to time. when working with attachments, it lends itself to increased heating and wear, which can lead to oil boiling in the motor;
- regularly check the reliability of the fasteners. replace brackets with cracks immediately;
- so that the snow plow does not crack and deform, carefully set the height of its position above the cover of the adjacent territory;
- in no case try to scrape off the remnants of snow from the coating with the lower part of the bucket. for this you have a sweeping brush;
- always make sure that snow and ice blocks do not fall inside the tiller through the grille and openings in the body. this can lead to engine breakdown, damage to the piston group and carburetor, as well as a short circuit inside the tiller wiring. To protect the unit, cover all openings in its body with steel shields. In this case, the latter should be installed so that their rear parts are slightly bent away from the body. Thus, the air necessary to cool it will get to the engine;
- before installing and using the blade, install a protective plate in front of the front wheels of the tiller. it will prevent ice and snow from falling on the suspension parts of the unit, the melting of which will lead to the formation of rust on the parts;
- if, when raising or lowering the bucket, you find strange creaks emitted by the blade rods, be sure to lubricate the bolts and brackets with grease;
- at the end of the winter season, thoroughly clean and dry the blade of snow and dry before taking the blade to the garage for storage. After that, treat the bucket surface, rods, mounting brackets and bolts with a rustproofing agent;
All of the listed tips for the manufacture, installation and operation of a homemade blade are suitable for tillers Salyut, Agro, OKA, Patriot, MTZ, Agat, Kaskad, as well as Neva MB-1 and MB-2.
Front and rear adapters
There are several types of trailers, depending on which wheels are driving:
- Front-wheel drive. The unit is fixed behind the tiller. This is the simplest and most popular modification. It makes it possible to easily operate the cultivator and carry out a large amount of work.
- Rear drive. The unit is located in front of the cultivator. This design makes it possible to carry out work when using a hitch located at the rear of the cultivator.
- Four-wheel drive. The trailer can be located both in front and behind the cultivator. This design differs from the previous ones in that not 2 wheels rotate, but all 4 wheels at once. Such a device performs the functions of a mini-tractor. This increases the maneuverability of the structure, its cross-country ability, additional adhesion to the soil is carried out. The 4×4 drive is considered the most efficient.
The rear adapter is the most common type of tiller trailer. It can be used as a trolley (lifting capacity about 100 kg), for aggregation with attachments for plowing, mowing, snow removal, etc.
Steering trailer allows maneuvering in different terrain, making the operator’s job easier. It can be inconvenient and dangerous to operate the structure using the steering wheel of the cultivator itself. When working in a field with uneven terrain or in a vegetable garden, it is better to use a trailer with a steering wheel for a tiller, as it is easier to drive.
In order to make a rear adapter with your own hands, readily available materials are suitable. The basis of the trailer design is the frame; it can be made of a metal profile or a metal pipe. The hitch assembly can be movable or rigid. In the second case, a change in the cultivator itself will be required, so the creation of a movable hitch is less complicated.
The rear adapter is used for work that requires constant supervision (hilling the beds), so the design necessarily includes a seat for the operator’s convenience. It also facilitates the work of the presence of steering, which is made from the steering mechanisms of any vehicles.
Do-it-yourself steering wheel on the tiller
The steering wheel tiller adapter makes maneuvering easier and more stable. Making a steering wheel for a tiller with your own hands is quite easy if you have basic welding skills.
You can create a structure from a steering gear from a car; it is better to use a steering column with a bipod from trucks, tractors. The bipod can be used to hitch the rear adapter to the cultivator. The steering arm is indispensable if the trailer design does not imply steering levers. When making an adapter with a steering wheel for a tiller, you can make a ball joint that allows the wheel to turn freely in a horizontal plane.
If the equipment is used for plowing the ground or other difficult work, then it is better to make the steering and the trailer-tiller connection mechanism independent, since there will be a large load on the hitch unit.
Drawings and dimensions
First you need to complete the drawing. The first step is to calculate the kinetic scheme. Then they carry out the basic diagram, which indicates the dimensions of all parts. All parts, assemblies and fasteners of the structure will be manufactured according to this scheme. Before starting to create an aggregate, you need to clarify all the data available on the diagram and check their compliance with the indicators of all blanks.
Scheme and structural elements
To make an adapter with your own hands, the drawings and diagrams of this device must be completed first of all. And according to the ready-made scheme, indicating all the parts, assemblies, structural elements and their dimensions, it will be easier to start the independent manufacture of the unit.
A quality steering wheel adapter for the tiller makes it easier to operate the cultivator. Such a tiller in its functions is comparable to a mini-tractor, only it is more economical in fuel consumption. The standard APM unit from the Krasny Oktyabr manufacturer does not have a rudder.
The control is carried out using the steering wheel of the cultivator. But other manufacturers make steering units. The cart is designed for more comfortable work on the cultivator, so the presence of a steering wheel will make the operation easier.
Required materials and tools
Consider what you need to create an apparatus.
Snow Clearing With My Homemade Walk Behind Snow Plow DIY
Materials and tools:
- Two wheels with an axle. The radius of the wheels should be 15-18 inches. You can take wheels from a car.
- Bearings for wheel and steering systems. Metal profile corner or channel, metal pipe.
- Nuts screws, washers.
- Lubrication: grease.
- Welding machine, drill with drill, wires, discs.
- Angle Grinder.
- Screwdriver, wrench, screwdriver.
- Frame for turning the cultivator using the steering wheel.
Assembling the adapter for the tiller
First, make the frame. It is made from pieces of metal of the required length. The metal is cut by an angle grinder and the parts are connected by welding or screws.
Then they carry out the chassis. When the cultivator motor is located at the front, then the base wheels determine the track gauge. The rear ones are attached to the frame using an axle. It must be made from a pipe of the required diameter. Bushings with bearings are attached to its ends.
Then wheels are mounted on them. When the cultivator motor is at the rear, the tread should be wider. Otherwise, the structure will not be able to maintain balance during operation. Then the base cultivator wheels must be removed and fixed on a wide axle.
Consider the manufacture of a frame for a trailer of a motor cultivator. With a solid metal frame, steering will be directed to the front axle of the unit. You can make a frame on hinges, while the steering column will rotate completely onto the front frame. To achieve this, mount the gear to the front frame.
The second gear is mounted on the steering column. Then a seat for the tractor driver is made. It can be taken from a car. The seat is welded onto the frame. It can be regulated. This is especially necessary for the front type device. The driver’s seat is now attached.
To attach the trailer to the plow tiller, a bracket must be installed. To work with the mower, you need to make a hydraulic system. To work on the device, you need to weld the towbar from the car to the rear, where the metal frame is located. The pump can be borrowed from any unit for agricultural work.
The hitch for the cultivator is U-shaped. This requires a channel profile. The hitch is installed under the steering column. In this case, it is necessary to drill the holes that are marked in the drawing. A bracket and a pin are mounted through them. The components are made of high quality steel. It is also possible to perform a caterpillar mechanism.
Thus, all the necessary parts and assemblies of the adapter for the cultivator are made. Now you need to assemble the entire structure. After that, it needs to be checked and tested in work. If all components are operating normally, then you can start operating the unit.