Drilling Concrete With A Diamond Bit Perforator
Resuscitation and care rules, protection against overheating
If a diamond core bit for concrete has ceased to perform its functions normally, first of all, it is advisable to find out the causes of the malfunction.
To extend the time between repairs and significantly increase the service life, the masters recommend doing everything in strict accordance with the rules specified in the instructions. The crown is afraid of overheating and cannot be used to work with materials that are not listed in the technical data sheet. It is also important to ensure that the water cooling regime is not disturbed in wet models. Diamond crowns for brazing on concrete must be of high quality, made in accordance with standards.
Overheating protection is provided by the cooling system. With a wet cut, water flows in the right volume and continuously, cooling the diamonds. For the tool to operate, the pressure in a regular water supply is sufficient. The required volume of water is determined based on the diameter of the crown head (all data must be indicated in the instructions). Exceeding the value can make it difficult to advance the tool, if there is little water. the segments are more likely to wear out.
Diamond cutting holes
- Before starting work, you need to make sure that there is no reinforcement in the concrete monolith that can damage the tool.
- If the mechanism has a centering drill, it is positioned at the center of the mark on the surface to be drilled. now you can drill. If there is no drill, the cutting edge of the cylinder must be applied to the concrete surface with all teeth at the same time.
- Dust removal is carried out using a construction vacuum cleaner equipped with a special nozzle for a hose.
- You can drill continuously to the desired depth, without stopping.
- If you need to make a hole through and through, the drilled piece of concrete must remain inside the cylinder, then it is removed along with the nozzle. If the holes are not made through, the remaining concrete piece in the center is removed with a chisel or chisel using the chipping method.
- To speed up drilling, you can deepen the tool not a small amount, then get it out, make several holes in the contour of the circle to the required depth with a drill with a diameter equal to the width of the teeth of the cylinder. Then the drilling continues with the selected crown.
Features of the device
A diamond-coated concrete bit is a small piece of solid tool steel pipe that can be made in different diameters and lengths. At one end of the cut there are strong and reliable cutting elements, while at the other there is a shank, thanks to which the cylinder is securely fastened in the tool holder.
A diamond core bit for concrete can be operated with a perforator, percussion and conventional drill, and other types of tools. The crown can be assembled / one-piece. In the center of the cut tube there is a centering replacement drill (usually made with a carbide tip). Various sinuses can be located inside the cylinder, which serve to collect waste from the working area.
Recommendations for use
Before you start to make holes in the walls for dismantling work or to carry out any other tasks, you need to make sure that the tool is in good working order, the crown is attached correctly, securely. Before the start of drilling, the zone is marked out and holes are made according to the marks in the required number. Allow the cylinder to cool down periodically so that it does not overheat, which will significantly reduce the service life.
It is not worth saving on the quality of the crowns, as this will greatly affect the quality of the work performed. As a result, the savings and the use of low-quality bits or bits not recommended by the tool manufacturer can damage the material being drilled, the bit itself, the perforator, and also cause injuries.
Diamond core bits for drilling concrete with a hammer drill: wet and dry cuts, advantages and recommendations for use
Diamond drill bits for concrete are special bits for drilling rigs or rock drills that are used to drill grooves or holes in a variety of materials: concrete, asphalt, granite, and other hard surfaces. Works can be performed at all stages of construction, repair and operation of facilities.
Diamond core bits for drilling concrete can differ in diameter, power, the ability to mount additional accessories (shanks, extensions, etc.), functions, working conditions and other criteria. There are elements that are universal, and there are those that are designed for specific tasks. Drilling concrete is relevant at different stages of repair and construction work when installing communications and wiring in walls, floors, ceilings, it may be needed for laying pipes and other elements.
A diamond core bit for concrete allows you to quickly and efficiently perform work that can take a lot of time and effort without drilling with a perforator or with the implementation of other processing methods. Thanks to the crowns, drilling of monolithic walls is carried out as efficiently as possible, taking into account the requirements and calculations.
Scope of application of diamond core bits for concrete:
- Installation of a recess for a switch, socket, socket
- Creating fasteners for a ladder system
- Holes of different diameters and depths during the implementation of facade work
- Installation of boxes, various hinged structures
- Laying a variety of communications through the plates. plumbing, electrical wiring, heating risers, ventilation and exhaust systems
How to work with a diamond cylinder for drilling concrete
Rules for working with diamond core bits for concrete:
- Do not press too hard. this can impair the performance of the cylinder and shorten the service life, lead to breakage.
- When working with reinforced concrete, it is better to use a dry cut and it is imperative to check the reliability and strength of fixation. If the fixation is unreliable, the cylinder may deform, mow without the possibility of recovery.
- If the diamond segments and edges are fixed with solder, then the water supply must be used during the work. If there is no cooling, the solder can noticeably weaken and even deform.
- The size of the installation must be correctly selected, appropriate to the tasks set, to guarantee the required level of efficiency and quality.
Features of the choice of diamond cylinders for concrete
Modern manufacturers offer a wide variety of diamond core bits. According to the principle of operation and design, they are all approximately the same. a small cylinder in the form of a tube, at one end of which there is a cutting element, at the other end there is a fastening to a tool that works as a drive.
Typically, the selection of a bit consists of determining the type of shank and the type of tool. So, manufacturers equip diamond core drill bits with SDS cylindrical shank. But it should be borne in mind that for a drill the device is made with a cylindrical or multifaceted shank. The cylinder for recesses for sockets can be equipped with both types of shank.
There are bits with universal shanks that can be used in a wide variety of tools. But manufacturers of electrical equipment and tools used during repair and construction work advise to choose crowns from the same companies as the tool itself. Logically, they should exactly match each other and provide the highest quality of work.
Criteria for choosing a diamond core bit:
- Concrete hardness, reinforcement.
- Wet or dry drilling.
- The diameter of the holes (depends on the task at hand. the thickness of the cable to be laid, the socket, the cross-section of the pipes, etc.). So, for drilling under a socket, it is better to choose a crown 2-3 millimeters larger so that the product is attached tightly to the plaster solution. Before buying a crown, you need to know exactly the diameter of the element for which the hole is made.
- The type of tool, compatibility with one or another consumable, the power of the perforator. so, if a 1 kW tool is used in the work, it is not recommended to drill a hole larger than 25 centimeters. For more powerful rock drills, bits of any diameter are suitable.
- Fixation of the teeth of the crowns on the shaft. the deeper the cutting teeth sit in the tube, the longer the life of the crown will be.
- The design of the nozzle shank. can be solid, with a different number of open / closed slots (different modifications of the SDS fastening system, which are marked as top, plus, quick, max), for mounting in a cam-type drill chuck.
The crowns are a piece of metal pipe, at one end of which there are cutting elements of very high strength, and at the other end there is a shank for fixing the tool in the chuck of the hammer drill. The cutting edges of the crowns can be in the form of carbide teeth, “welded” to the metal or flat with diamond spraying. This tool is used for drilling large holes. It can be used to get holes in concrete with a diameter of 50-450 mm.
Drilling holes with diamond bits is more versatile. These bits have wide cutting segments or a solid cutting surface with diamond (corundum) abrasive. They are used for drilling reinforced concrete with a shock-free method, which protects the bearing elements of structures from vibrations. Diamond bits have a fairly long service life. For example, a bit with a diameter of 200 mm with high-quality diamond segments is capable of processing up to 20 linear meters of concrete with an average degree of reinforcement.
Best 25-180mm Diamond Core Drill Bits Cut Hole Saw M22 for Water Wet Drilling Concrete Perforator C
Preparing the cutting tool for work
When starting drilling, it is necessary to prepare the working tool. This training includes:
- unscrewing and cleaning the cartridge;
- applying special grease to the inner surfaces of the cartridge;
- the cartridge prepared for work is installed and securely fixed.
Since drilling in concrete is a long and arduous process, it is necessary to constantly monitor that the cutting tool does not overheat. A drill that heats up quickly or makes its way very hard is most likely blunt or improperly sharpened. Before starting work, it is imperative to inspect the drill and other tools used.
Before starting drilling, the operating mode is checked. The hammer drill is turned on and checked at idle speed. It lasts no more than one minute. During the operation of the punch, there should be no extraneous sounds and vibration. The appearance of smoke or a burning smell will indicate that the hammer drill is not working properly.
Types of punchers
Perforators, like any electric tool, are divided into household and professional:
- household rotary hammers are intended for home use. Basically, they are equipped with an SDS-plus cartridge and have a maximum power of 900 W. Equipment of this type is offered by such well-known companies as Bosch, Skil, Hundai, Black Decker, as well as domestic manufacturers Energomash, Caliber, Interskol, Enkor, etc.
- professional rock drills are able to withstand quite intense loads, work longer without interruption. They have the best vibration protection. The most famous manufacturers in this segment are Bosch, Hitachi, Makita, Metalbo, Dewalt.
Depending on the number of operating modes, perforators are divided into:
- single-mode. These rock drills are the simplest and work like an ordinary drill. They can be used to drill holes in wood, plastic or metal surfaces;
- dual mode rock drills are capable of hammer drilling. This mode is the main one for a hammer drill, therefore it is widely used when it is necessary to make blind or through holes in a concrete or brick wall. Hammer drilling is also called drilling. The effectiveness of this process lies in the fact that the cutting tool installed in the hammer drill very quickly penetrates the hard base due to the high impact force. In order for a tool (crown or drill) to rotate and impact simultaneously, it is usually made of very high quality materials;
- tri-mode rock drills can hit without spindle rotation. This mode is also the main one and is called chiselling. In this case, the spindle performs only reciprocating movements. With a perforator in chiseling mode, they perform dismantling work, for example, they remove old tiles, destroy beams, brickwork, chip off plaster, make large holes for utilities, and gouge grooves for electrical wiring. Chisels (chisels) differing in purpose and shape are used as accessories. All types of these consumables have one common property. the ability to open the structure of the stone with a blow, and then wedge it, thus destroying a hard surface.
Reinforced concrete drilling
For drilling holes in reinforced concrete, conventional drills are not suitable, since they simply cannot withstand high loads. The most effective way of drilling reinforced concrete today is the use of diamond tools. With the help of such a tool, you can get holes that correspond to a given diameter and depth with pinpoint accuracy.
The essence of the technology is that a tool with diamond cutting segments allows you to make holes of different diameters and depths without any damage to the bearing elements of buildings. This is the main advantage of this drilling method in comparison, for example, with carbide drills or a jackhammer. When drilling with a diamond tool, the walls do not experience vibrations, so their structure is preserved in its original form.
Among the advantages of diamond drilling should be noted:
- almost one hundred percent accuracy of the shapes and sizes of holes;
- lack of a large amount of dust and noise;
- high speed of work execution;
- the ability to use the tool in hard-to-reach places and in a wide variety of conditions.
Any hammer drill consists of two structural systems. electrical and mechanical. The constituent elements of the electrical system are an electric motor, an operating mode switch and electronics, and a mechanical one. crank mechanisms, gears and a tool holder. Both systems are enclosed in a housing that can be plastic, metal or a combination.
A very important part of the hammer drill is the hammer mechanism, which provides the main hammering function of this tool. The impact mechanism by the type of execution can be electro-pneumatic or electromechanical. The first type is now used in most models of rock drills. The use of such a mechanism allows you to obtain high impact energy with a minimum electric motor power.
The shock electro-pneumatic mechanism can be presented in two versions. with a swinging (“drunk”) bearing or with a crank mechanism. The first option is used mainly in light rock drills, and the second in medium to heavy.
When the rock drill is in operation, the rotational motion of the electric motor is converted by the crank mechanism into the reciprocating motion of the piston. The ram, under the action of the compression present in the cavity between it and the piston, accelerates and transfers its energy through the hammer to the working tool. a drill, crown, chisel, etc.
Instrument weight groups
There are three groups of perforators, depending on their weight:
- light punchers. This group includes instruments weighing no more than 4 kg and a power of up to 800 watts. The impact energy of such rock drills rarely exceeds 3 J. Such a tool is intended for home use;
- perforators of the middle group weigh 4-8 kg. Their power is 800-1200 W, and the impact energy is about 10 J. Such perforators are professional equipment and can work even with reinforced concrete. Basically, they are used to work in two modes. drilling with a blow and just a blow;
- the heavy group includes perforators weighing more than 8 kg, with a power of 1200 W and an impact energy of 13 J. With their help, breaks and holes are made in concrete and natural stone surfaces with a diameter of more than 40 mm.
Recommendations for using the punch
When drilling holes with a hammer drill, it is recommended to observe the following rules:
- when drilling hard surfaces, use lubricant and coolants;
- before using a long drill, it is first recommended to drill with a shorter bit;
- in order to prevent scattering of porous and loose materials, their processing should be carried out in the drilling mode;
- after drilling 170-180 holes, the drill shank is cleaned of dust, wiped with a dry cloth and greased with grease;
- when using a professional puncher, the periods of continuous work and rest are alternated (operating time. 30 minutes, break. 10 minutes);
- a break must be done when a part of the housing is very hot at the location of the gearbox;
- it is strictly prohibited to cool the hammer drill by lowering it into water;
- it is not recommended to increase the impact force of the perforator by means of increased pressure on the treated surface.
After completion of work, the punch is turned off and cleaned with a soft cloth. If necessary, use a cloth soaked in soapy water.
Drilling concrete with a hammer drill
Concrete is a very tough material with a heterogeneous structure and is therefore difficult to drill. Today, the most common way to create technological holes in concrete is drilling with a hammer drill. This method allows you to create holes quickly enough and with good quality.