Gasoline Oil Mixing Table
There are certain parameters for mixing gasoline with an oil composition. This is the main type of fuel for two-stroke engines. The resulting fuel ensures long-term operation of the engine, and thereby maintains its productivity. How to mix the necessary ingredients in a ratio of 1 to 50, this is how much oil, will be discussed later.
What do you need to know?
Choosing the right ratio for fuel mass is not an easy task. It is necessary to calculate the mixing proportions in accordance with the established norm. Sometimes drivers add ingredients as they wish. At the same time, disciplined vehicle owners who are worried about the engine know that a ratio of 1 to 50 is recommended. How much oil is this? You will find the answer to this question below.
To mix the ingredients you need to follow simple rules. To dilute gasoline with oil 1 to 50, it is recommended to use A-92 grade fuel. Often they use A-80, explaining this action by the presence of a large number of additives in its composition. This is fundamentally wrong.
Almost any oil is suitable for mixing with fuel. The main thing is that it belongs to the auto group, and was not intended for tractors or motor boats. Such oil should not be used. Otherwise, it will clearly shorten the life of the engine.
Most drivers know that a two-stroke engine runs on petrol-oil fuel. Therefore, it is recommended to observe the proportions indicated in the product data sheet.
Of course, some experienced vehicle owners create an eye-to-eye ratio. However, each time a similar mass will have a different ratio. This will adversely affect the operation of the motor. Therefore, you need to read the instructions on the packaging.
Recommended requirements for the operation of the mixture:
- The amount of oil component should not be reduced when mixed with fuel. It is necessary to adhere to a ratio of 1 to 50. This is how much oil? You need to know the exact amount before pouring the mixture into the crankcase. Oil is not a cheap component, therefore, people often try to save on it. But this can contribute to a strong heating of the system. Therefore, the proportions of oil should be observed. Also, due to an insufficient amount of this component, scoring may occur, which significantly reduces the duration of the motor.
- Also, do not use a copious amount of oil. Exceeding its volume is a negative factor for engine operation. This leads to rapid wear of the motor, to an increase in soot.
- It is not recommended to store the prepared fuel mixture for more than 30 days. Otherwise, it loses the desired properties, and its use will significantly reduce the life of the engine.
- It is required to ensure that there is no ingress of dust, dirt into the composition, as this also negatively affects the operation of the motor.
Often, standard mixing ratios are indicated on oil containers. And basically a ratio of 1 to 50 is used. This is how much oil should be added, consider below. Perhaps a slight deviation from the presented ratio. But it is better to adhere to accurate dosages.
So, manufacturers recommend sticking to a ratio of 1 to 50. How much oil should I dilute with gasoline? The ratio of the presented proportion is quite simple:
- 1 liter of gasoline and 20 ml of oil;
- 1.5 liters of fuel and 30 ml of oil;
- 2 liters of fuel and 40 ml of oil.
For the calculation, the formula is used: 1 l / 50 1,000 = 20 ml.
Therefore, per liter of gasoline you need 20 ml of oil.
For convenience, you can use a medical syringe to accurately measure the volume of the lubricant composition or take another measured capacity with divisions in milliliters.
Owners of scooters and motorcycles, as well as owners of a gas tool with a two-stroke engine, are faced with the need to pour a pre-prepared mixture of gasoline and oil into the fuel tank, maintaining the necessary proportions. Motorists know that it is impossible to refuel equipment with a push-pull type power unit with pure gasoline. This will adversely affect the operation of the motor, its resource and lead to inevitable breakdowns. The oil-gasoline table will help determine the correct ratio of fuel to lubricant.
We will get to know more closely the principle of the two-stroke operation, we will understand the mixing proportions, as well as the rules for preparing the fuel mixture.
Features and operating principle of 2t engine
Any owner of motor vehicles should have an idea of the design of the engine and the principle of its operation. The power unit of the push-pull type is used not only in motor vehicles, but also in other technical devices. Lawn mowers, trimmers and others. Despite the completion of many models of modern technology with four-stroke engines, a two-stroke engine is still widely used. It is simple to operate, easy to maintain and repair, and also quite reliable.
The duty cycle of such an engine is carried out in a couple of compression strokes and a stroke as a result of energy from fuel ignition. Both cycles are carried out during one crankshaft revolution. The two-stroke engine lacks the phase of the fuel mixture intake and the exhaust cycle characteristic of four-stroke engines. The process of fuel inlet and exhaust gas takes place during the compression and expansion phases.
Thanks to this design feature, the torque and power developed by the motor increase with the same cubic capacity as a 4-stroke motor. And although the efficiency of a two-stroke power plant is lower compared to a four-stroke one, due to the two-stroke operation of the piston, the engine elements perform fewer movements. Subject to high-quality lubrication of the mating parts of the motor, it has a sufficiently high service life and is less susceptible to internal wear.
For the two-stroke operation, it is necessary to turn on the ignition, provide fuel supply and crank the engine crankshaft with a starter or kickstarter.
Further work of the two-stroke motor is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- The piston begins to move towards the spark plug from bottom dead center. At this time, the fuel mixture enters the working chamber of the cylinder. The opening of the exhaust window for the exhaust outlet takes place, and the working mixture is compressed;
- In the initial phase of the compression cycle, a pressure drop occurs in the chamber of the crank mechanism, contributing to the flow of a new portion of gasoline. In the upper phase of the piston movement, the working mixture ignites with a spark from a candle;
- The energy resulting from the ignition of gasoline causes the piston to move to a lower point. Thanks to the open channel of the exhaust window, exhaust gases exit through an elbow connected to the silencer;
- Subsequent movement of the piston causes the opening of the purge channel and the flow of gasoline into the working area of the cylinder. The phase of displacement of the piston to the lower point completes the duty cycle of the motor and the cycle repeats.
In the process of supplying gasoline mixed with oil, the components of the power unit are lubricated. This distinguishes the lubrication system of a two-stroke engine from the lubrication system of a four-stroke engine, in which there is a gear pump for supplying oil to the area of the mating parts of the motor.
Oil mixed with gasoline is lubricated in a crank mechanism
Why mix gasoline with oil
Not everyone knows how to dilute gas for a two-stroke Chinese scooter, and why there is a need to mix gasoline with oil in strictly defined proportions. The fact is that the design features and the principle of the two-stroke engine do not allow for the use of pure gasoline for its operation. Thanks to the oil introduced into the fuel mixture, lubrication is carried out and friction in the crank mechanism is reduced.
Mixing oil with gasoline during the preparation of the fuel mixture is a prerequisite for the normal operation of two-stroke engines.
Diluting gasoline with oil allows you to:
- Increase the life of the power plant;
- Provide effective lubrication of the rubbing parts;
- Avoid jamming of engine parts due to overheating;
- Prevent possible breakdowns when the motor is running.
In addition, the use of gasoline mixed with oil in the required percentage ratio avoids the appearance of scoring, which is the cause of the repair. The lack of oil can cause overheating of the elements of the cylinder-piston group and the failure of the two-stroke engine.
Increased oil concentration will cause increased wear of the motor apparatus due to the formation of a thick layer of soot. That is why it is important to determine the proportion, using the table, which indicates the required amount of oil for various volumes of gasoline.
The reason for the formation of soot in the working chamber is the use of low-quality oil
What oil to grow gasoline for a motorcycle
In two-stroke engines, a separate filling of the lubricant into the crankcase is not provided.
Strict requirements are imposed on oil burning with fuel:
- Lubricating fluid must provide effective lubrication of all parts;
- The oil should burn easily and should not form soot after burning.
The use of low-quality oil for two-stroke engines is the cause of the formation of soot in the working chamber and a decrease in power.
When determining the type of oil, you should be guided by the recommendations of the manufacturer of the equipment specified in the instruction manual. Brand oils made by reputable manufacturers should be preferred. The preferred grade of oil is API-TB. It is also possible to use oils labeled API-TC.
The choice of type of lubricant is carried out depending on climatic conditions:
- In the warm season, gasoline can be diluted with mineral oil;
- In the winter months, synthetic oils should be preferred;
- For all-season use, branded semisynthetics are suitable.
The manufacturer’s recommendations should be guided by determining the type of oil
For detailed information on the temperature threshold for use, read the information on the oil packaging. Knowing the ratio of fuel and oil, as well as the volume of the gas tank, necessary for stable engine operation, you can easily calculate how much oil is needed for a certain period, given the frequency of trips or the use of gasoline powered tools.
When buying oil to prepare the fuel mixture, you should pay attention to its purpose. This information is indicated on the packaging. Do not use tractor oil or boat lubricant to mix with gasoline to refuel a scooter or motorcycle. Please note that on the branded label of the oil for two-stroke engines it is necessarily marked 2T.
Oil gasoline table. Choose the right proportion
Novice owners of motor vehicles do not always have an idea how much oil to add to gasoline. Depending on the manufacturer’s recommendations specified in the instructions, the amount of lubricant added may vary. The most common ratios are 1: 50, as well as 1:40. Slight deviations from these proportions will not affect the operation of the two-stroke engine.
During the break-in period, when intensive grinding of the mating parts of the engine occurs, the amount of oil increases slightly. When the run-in is completed, they switch to a different ratio of the fuel mixture, involving the introduction of a smaller amount of oil.
Dealing with the proportion is easy. For example, a ratio of 1:50 means that a liter of lubricant should be added to 50 liters of gasoline. The use of measuring containers will greatly facilitate the process of preparing the mixture. Depending on the volume of available containers, the amount of added oil changes.
You can quickly prepare the mixture by deciding on the proportions
In particular, for a ratio of 1:50, the table will help determine the amount of oil injected:
- To dilute 5 liters of gasoline, you need 100 ml of lubricant;
- In a ten-liter capacity you will need to pour 200 ml of oil;
- 400 ml of grease should be added to a 20 liter can.
Having determined the proportions, you can quickly prepare the mixture. However, you should not use a gas tank for this, alternately filling in gasoline and oil. Mixing must be carried out in a separate container.
How much oil to pour into gasoline. The rules for preparing the mixture
Having figured out how much oil to pour into gasoline, you can start preparing the fuel mixture. This will require a clean metal or plastic canister. First, the required amount of gasoline is poured, and then the lubricant is added in the right amount. After completing the dilution, tilt the canister a couple of times.
As a result of repeated shaking, the liquids are mixed, and the prepared fuel acquires a uniform color. Depending on the color of the added oil, the finished liquid may be greenish, bluish or reddish.
When performing work, safety precautions and fire regulations must be observed. Mixing work must be carried out in a ventilated area, and even better in outdoor conditions. When working with flammable liquids, smoking is not allowed. Mixing must be done with gloves to protect the skin from aggressive liquids.
The prepared mixture fills the fuel tank and the gas tank cap closes tightly. Gasoline mixed with oil can be stored in tightly closed cans. Gasoline, mixed with oil, retains its properties for a month.
That is why mixing should be done immediately before pouring, given the frequency of use of a scooter or motorcycle.
How to detect a mix out of proportion
There are a number of indirect signs by which it is possible to determine the mismatch of the amount of gasoline and oil when preparing the mixture:
- The formation of contaminants in the float chamber and carburetor channels;
- Significant tarry deposits on the elements of the fuel system;
- Oxidation of carburetor walls and reduction of elasticity of rubber parts.
Any of these signs indicates the need to adjust the mixing process. Observing the proportions recommended by the manufacturer, it is possible to ensure a long service life of the two-stroke engine, as well as to avoid unforeseen and, sometimes, expensive repairs.
Lawn mowers are a fairly common technique for controlling weeds in summer cottages, in household plots, on the road, and in housing and communal services. These devices have two more names. Trimmer and lawn mowing. These units differ in their engines. The more expensive of them have four-stroke engines, all the rest are two-stroke. Of course, the latter are the most popular among the population, as it is both simpler in design and mass lighter and much cheaper than its four-stroke competitors. However, two-stroke models are inconvenient in that the fuel mixture for them must be prepared manually, withstanding a strict dosage between gasoline and oil. In four-stroke analogs, the mixing of these components occurs automatically, you only need to fill the gas tank and oil tank with the appropriate substances. Let’s look at the question of the correctness of refueling just the push-pull lawn mowers, since it depends on how efficient and long the operation of such an aggregate will be.
First of all, it is necessary to take into account the information that the manufacturer recommends, since in case of failure of the lawn mowers, you can make your claims to him, and not to an external source. If there is no instruction in the passport, and even more so if there is no passport, we recommend that you look for a different trimmer model from a more reliable seller.
For all other cases when you have a model of lawn mowers in your hands and there is no way to find out its technical features, there are standard proportions of the most likely components of the fuel mixture for a two-stroke engine. Mostly for these units, AI-92 grade gasoline and special synthetic oil are used, which contains a solvent for better mixing with fuel. Such oil evaporates slowly and has the ability to completely burn in the cylinder without leaving a deposit.
The standard ratio of synthetic oil to gasoline is 1: 50. This means that for 5 liters of gasoline you need 100 ml of oil, and in accordance with this, the oil consumption per 1 liter of gasoline is 20 ml. Knowing the amount of oil needed to dilute 1 liter of fuel, you can easily calculate any norms when preparing fuel for the trimmer. When using mineral oils, the ratio of 1: 40 is most often standard. Therefore, 25 ml of such oil will be required per 1 liter of fuel, and 125 ml per 5-liter canister.
When the lawn mowers are working, a person who has little experience in operating such a technique will easily find and correct the actual amount of oil needed for a particular model. It is only necessary to pay attention to exhaust gases (their color, odor toxicity), cycle stability, engine heating and developed power. Details about what consequences from the wrong proportions of mixing gasoline and oil can be expected are covered in another section of the article. There are options for lawn mowing running on AI-95 gasoline. This should also be considered.
If the manufacturer recommends a fuel with such an octane rating, then you must follow the requirements so as not to reduce the technical life of the equipment.
And now about how to mix components correctly. However, it will be more logical to start by analyzing common, but absolutely unacceptable errors that many owners of this mowing unit “sin”. The following actions are considered to be errors in mixing the fuel mixture.
- Adding oil to fuel already poured into the gas tank. Similarly, a homogeneous fuel mixture cannot be obtained. Perhaps it will turn out, if only then shake the trimmer for a long time. But hardly anyone will do this, given the severity of the unit.
- First pour oil into the mixing tank, and then add gasoline to it. Gasoline has a lower density than oil, so if it is poured to the oil, it will remain in the upper layer, that is, natural mixing will not occur. Of course, it will be possible to mix later, but energy will be required much more than if it were done the other way around. Pour oil into the gasoline.
- Ignoring accurate measuring instruments to take the required volumes of ingredients used. In other words, diluting the amount of oil or gasoline “by eye” is a bad habit when operating motor vehicles.
- Take empty bottles from under drinking water to prepare the fuel mixture. Such containers are made from too thin polyethylene, which can dissolve with gasoline.
Given all of the above, we recommend using the following rules when mixing the fuel mixture for two-stroke trimmer engines.
- To use for storage of gasoline, oil, finished fuel mixture and its preparation only clean containers made of metal or special plastic.
- Use to pour gasoline into the dilution tank with a watering can to avoid spillage, and to add oil, use a measuring container with volume risks or a 5 and 10 ml medical syringe.
- First, pour gasoline into the canister to prepare the fuel mixture, and then oil.
- To dilute the mixture, only half of the planned volume of gasoline is first poured into the tank.
- Next, add to the gasoline the entire amount of oil required to prepare the mixture.
- Thoroughly mix the contents of the dilution tank. It is best to interfere by making circular movements with a tightly closed container. Do not mix fuel inside the canister with any foreign object, since it is not known what material this object is made of, what reaction it can enter with the ingredients of the mixture, how clean it is.
- The remainder of the gasoline is added to the mixed mixture and again thoroughly mixed.
- You can fill up the fuel tank of the lawn mowers with the prepared mixture.
It must be borne in mind that the finished fuel mixture should not be stored for more than 14 days, as it loses its properties, delaminates and evaporates, which leads to changes in the proportions, and hence the deterioration of the trimmer.
The consequences of a violation of the ratio
The working life of the engine of the motocosa depends on how accurately you comply with the proportions of the oil-gasoline mixture recommended by the manufacturer. The fact is that the fuel mixture enters the cylinders in the form of gasoline-oil mist. And the task of the oil composition is the lubrication of moving and rubbing parts and surfaces of various parts located in the cylinder. If it suddenly turns out that the oil is not enough, and somewhere it will not be enough to get enough, the parts in contact with dryness will begin to damage each other. As a result, galling, scratches and chips are formed, which will necessarily lead to complete or partial unsuitability of the engine (for example, it may jam).
In the opposite case, when too much oil enters the engine, it does not have time to completely burn out, settling on the cylinder walls and eventually turning into solid particles. Coke, slag and the like. As you might guess, this also leads to engine failure. The most important thing that should not be allowed. Even a single violation of the proportions in the direction of lack of oil. It is better to pour a little oil 10 times than not to add only 1 time. It often happens that this time is quite enough to break the engine.
How to choose for lawn mowers?
For two-stroke engines, the lawn mowers use AI-92 or AI-95 gasoline. Most often. The first of these. Information on this is necessarily available in the technical passport of the product. If for some reason it is not known exactly which gasoline the trimmer should work on, you can choose it by testing both brands of gasoline in action. There will be no global changes in the engine from this, but it is quite possible to determine which gasoline this or that model of the unit “loves” more. This will be shown by the developed power, and throttle response, and heating of the engine, as well as its stable operation at all speeds.
But with the proportions of oil to a certain volume of gasoline, it is much more difficult to determine. In this case, you need to know at least something about the manufacturer of the equipment. And already, according to standard proportions for this manufacturer, choose the proportion for a particular model taking into account the type of oil.
You can start the selection even in the country of production.
For instance, For Chinese low-power trimmers, two ratios are mainly used. 1: 25 or 1: 32. The first is for mineral, and the second is for synthetic oils. About the choice of standard proportions for lawn mowing European and American manufacturers in connection with the type of oil, we have already talked about earlier. In the oil class for household trimmers, you need to use TV oil according to the API classification. For more powerful. Ts class.
For the ratio of gasoline and oil necessary for lawn mowing, see the next.