Grass Trimmer Will Not Start On A Cold
A gas trimmer is a surprisingly useful thing, with the help of which you can tidy up not only a miniature lawn in the back yard of the house, but also mow a lawn of considerable size. But, like all things in this world, it tends to break. In this article we will try to figure out what to do when the trimmer refuses to work.
Gas trimmer fails to start
So what to do if the gas trimmer does not start or does not start at all? The most common cause of this failure is poor quality fuel. Remember that, for example, trimmers of the Stihl and Husqvarna brands are unlikely to start on fuels with a quality lower than AI-92. Do not save on fuel, because repair of parts of a cylinder. A piston group can make up one third of the total cost of the braid, and sometimes even half. Also, when preparing the fuel mixture, it is necessary to correctly observe the proportions of fuel and oil, which are always indicated in the instructions for the trimmer.
What to do if high-quality fuel is poured into the gas tank, there is a spark, but the tool still refuses to start? It is necessary to check the condition of the candle. It is located in the center of the mower housing. It must be carefully unscrewed and make sure there is no plaque on it. If it is, then carefully clean the candle from soot and dry it.
If the lawn mowing does not start even after the methods proposed above, then you need to try to remove the air filter and start the device without it. If the trimmer still doesn’t work, thoroughly dust the old filter or buy a new one.
It also happens that the mower runs for a maximum of 5 minutes, and then stalls and does not start until it cools down. In this case, try to open the filler cap of the gas bottle neck. A suction sound should appear. Then screw the cover back. If you do this manipulation during the time when the trimmer just started to stall, then the speed will recover, and you can continue to work. If the mower stalled before opening the cover, you just need to start it as it should according to the instructions.
Trimmer does not start after winter
How to be in this situation? Do not worry and panic. This is a very common problem that can be solved in literally 3-4 minutes. Firstly, if last year’s fuel remained in the gas tank, it must be drained. Gasoline loses its octave properties after 2 weeks of inactivity. Secondly, you need to start a lawn mow after prolonged stagnation in a slightly different way. First you need to open the damper and pump a little fuel mixture into the carburetor, then pull out the handle until you feel a little resistance. After that, you can start the trimmer.
Trimmer Starts and Stalls
If, when you try to start the trimmer, it starts up, but immediately stalls, then the air filter can again serve as the reason for this. It is necessary to remove it and check if it is clogged with dust. If this is true, then you need to thoroughly clean it or purchase a new one. Also, the problem may be a malfunction of the ignition coil. In this case, it is better to take the mower to a service center.
- The blog
- About Service Center
- Serviced Brands
- Diagnostic and repair prices
- Spare parts
Repair and service of garden equipment.
Specialized Service Center “Agrotechservice”. Comprehensive warranty and post-warranty maintenance of landscape gardening and public utilities of world manufacturers! We carry out the sale of spare parts with delivery throughout Russia!
Caring for a personal plot, summer residents periodically encounter the fact that the lawn mowing does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. For the correct diagnosis of the problem, the owner of the unit useful at the cottage needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
- Where to start diagnosing lawn mowers
- Checking the fuel mixture
- We diagnose a candle and a candle channel
- Diagnostics of lawn mowing filters
- Breather and exhaust channel
- Complex causes of lawn mowing failure
- Rules for the operation and storage of lawn mowers
Where to start diagnosing lawn mowers
If the lawn mowing does not start or immediately stalls after start-up, it is necessary to check all the main components and assemblies in sequence. The verification algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- Candle and candle channel;
- Air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- Exhaust channel.
These nodes are most often the source of major problems that can be fixed after a thorough inspection.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of the gas spit, check the availability and quality of the fuel mixture. Do not save, do not be greedy and do not be clever in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). It is necessary to prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its quantity from real needs. Excess gasoline remaining after work over time loses its quality.
We diagnose a candle and a candle channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is not in doubt, and the lawn mower stalls at start-up, then a filled candle may become the cause. Here, for repair, an ordinary candle key (probably every motorist has it) and a spare candle are suitable.
- We twist the candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not calcine);
- The excess fuel in the chamber is drained through the spark plug hole and dried;
- We clear an old candle from a deposit by means of a file or a lady’s file;
- We set a gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We return everything to its place and try to start a trimmer.
If the candle is working, the nest where it is completely dry and the lawn mower does not want to start, we lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly moistened. No matter how wonderful a spark a candle gives out, there is simply nothing to light up in a dry chamber.
If the trimmer motor still does not start, a cause such as the absence of a spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire should be excluded. If the connection is high-quality, but there is still no spark, most likely, your ignition unit has “flown”. Here you can’t do without a master, because the part is not being repaired, but sold as a single unit.
Diagnostics of lawn mowing filters
Another reason that the gas braid stalls may be an air filter. To exclude it, try to remove the filter and start the trimmer without it. If possible, then you will have to change the air filter to a new one, or at least blow out and thoroughly clean the old one.
A gas trimmer may not start up due to contamination of the fuel filter. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing, try not to leave the suction pipe completely without a filter, this is prohibited by any operating instructions. Haste can result in repair of the engine piston group.
Breather and exhaust channel
Often, “gentle” branded lawn mowers do not start and stall due to contamination of the breather. The main function of this element is to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. If this unit becomes clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank, which prevents the fuel supply. You can fix the problem by cleaning the breather. You can use a regular needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of the braids with internal combustion engines may be impaired due to the ingress of dirt into the exhaust channel or clogging of the silencer mesh. There is such a problem on older models. You can solve the problem by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-spark mesh.
Complex causes of lawn mowing failure
If the step-by-step algorithm for troubleshooting does not give a result, and your braid still does not start or stalls, it is worth examining the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor can be one of the reasons for unstable tool operation. Three main problems can be distinguished here:
- Clogged channels or jets. All this is cleaned with special washes or purged with a powerful jet of compressed air from the compressor. Do not use needles and wire, as passage sections may be damaged;
- Worn carburetor gasket. Output. Replacement of failed gaskets;
- Violation of tightness. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing a manometer with a suitable one. Keep track of the readings: if they do not change, everything is fine, and if the pressure starts to fall, then some part of the carburetor is faulty. We’ll have to find it and replace it with a new one.
If everything is in order with the carburetor, then the gas trimmer may not start due to wear on the piston group. If chips, scratches, or nicks are found on the piston or cylinder, they should be replaced. Piston rings are subject to mandatory inspection. A slight piston loophole while rocking the connecting rod indicates that it is time to change the rings. This procedure is best entrusted to service center specialists.
Rules for the operation and storage of lawn mowers
In order for the lawn mowing to continue well, you need to provide it with good storage and operating conditions:
- During operation, carefully monitor the cooling system, carefully and timely clean the channels in the housing, as well as the fins of the starter;
- If necessary, use solvents, kerosene and other detergents for cleaning;
- Do not clean the tool “hot”. Let it cool;
- Strictly follow the requirements of the instruction regarding the operating mode, otherwise you may overheat the engine;
- If you do not plan to use the lawn mower in the next month, the fuel mixture must be drained from it, because over time it breaks up into heavy fractions that will uniquely clog the carburetor channels;
- After draining the fuel, let the trimmer idle until it dies, this will help to completely remove the remains of the working mixture.
Before winter storage, follow these steps:
- Completely disassemble the braid, rinse and clean all the details that you can;
- Inspect the parts for damage, if necessary, eliminate distortions, gusts, bends and any other malfunctions;
- Pour enough oil into the gearbox and clean the air filter;
- You can partially disassemble the motor, flush, blow and grease all moving parts;
- In order to lubricate the piston, you need to unscrew the candle, raise the piston to the dead center with the starter, pour a little oil into the spark plug hole and rotate the crankshaft a couple of times;
- If you are not keeping the lawn mowing house, wind the engine with an oiled rag.