How the Wood Band Saw Works
Do-it-yourself band saw for wood processing
Do-it-yourself band saw. Is this possible? There is an answer to this question, and it is positive. If you are a simple do-it-yourselfer who is faced with self-cutting of unprocessed logs during the construction of a wooden house, cutting wood, or if it was necessary to update a wooden fence, then a band saw with your own hands will help to cope with this problem quickly and easily.
A band saw is necessary for sawing raw logs and chopping wood.
Do-it-yourself band saw is a very time-consuming process, it should be mentioned right away. It will take a lot of component parts, carry out welding and turning work, sharpen the saw in a special way, but the most difficult in this process is to achieve smooth operation of the entire complex.
Of course, it’s easier to purchase a ready-made sawmill for permanent use (for commercial purposes), it is not cheap, but it will quickly pay for itself. If the desire to make such a design as a band saw for cutting a tree with your own hands remained solid, then read on.
Band Saw. A Phased Creation Process
As an example, the principle of band cutting on wood looks like this: take two coils from under ordinary threads, thread a thin braid (ribbon) between them. By forcing the braid, the log is cut, and the distance between the ribbons is the desired size of the beam. It is convenient to cut boards with such saws.
To make a band saw with your own hands you will need:
The principle of operation of the band saw.
This method of manufacturing a band saw is considered artisanal. When working, safety precautions should be observed, since in the event of a break in the sawing tape, it flies to the side, so you should not stand nearby when the band saw is in operation.
Recommendations on how to make a band saw with your own hands, features of the device manufacturing process
Among the most indispensable tools that should be at the disposal of every self-respecting builder, a band saw for cutting all kinds of materials is very useful.
In order to avoid difficulties during the operation of such equipment, it is important to approach the upcoming purchase with particular responsibility, paying attention to technical specifications, the principle of operation and other important points.
First of all, determine what the specific type of saw is intended for, take into account the parameters of the teeth and the dimensions of the blade, and also carefully study the quality of the sharpening of the cutting element.
Varieties of Band Saws
Such devices may differ from each other in the scope of use. Therefore, today a band saw is represented by the following categories:
If you intend to work with billets made of solid raw materials, it is better to use equipment that is pre-hardened by heavy-duty alloys.
In the absence of such protection, the cutting tape will not be able to work for a long time and efficiently, it will break, and also deform the surface to be treated.
Before making a purchase, carefully evaluate the area of work that will subsequently be affected.
If it comes about production scale, then, naturally, it is better to choose professional equipment with high power and endurance indicators, which will be enough to work at high loads.
However, the cost of such equipment is very high, so most beginners try to make a band saw with their own hands.
Such a solution will cost several times cheaper, but at the same time it will remain a very effective addition to home equipment.
Cutter blade selection
If you want to make a band saw, carefully consider the selection of suitable materials. By the way, many of them can be found in the home workshop.
First you need to find out what materials you will cut. So, today the following types of paintings are used:
Selection of the drawing and taking into account some of the nuances
The width and length of the cutting element is selected taking into account the parameters of the machine. First you need to find the right drawings of the power-saw bench with your own hands, as well as look at the recommendations for choosing parts that are offered in the instructions for the unit. It is also necessary to follow the advice of professionals for a successful choice:
Next important step, which you need to pay attention to if you want to make a band saw for metal with your own hands, is the distance between the pointed segments of the saw (teeth). This indicator is correlated with the reciprocal part of the equipment. To ensure that the design is successful, follow these tips.
The tooth pitch is a very important parameter that determines the quality of future cutting and the level of vibration when working with the tool, which significantly affects the wear resistance of the main equipment. Because of this feature the web may have a different profile.
When buying a factory model or making a homemade one, consider the quality of sharpening of the cutting tool, checking the sharpness of each segment, the type of steel and the evenness of the edge line.
Hand Band Saws
Manual band saws are widely used when working with wood, metal, rubber, plastic and various flexible materials. This can be sawing a tree in the garden, preparing firewood for lighting a fireplace, polishing wooden furniture, creating wood products, cutting wood, creating metal blanks, cutting rubber gaskets, etc.
There are three types of these products:
- Manual band saws. These devices are most often found in domestic use.
- Desktop models. These units are often bought for small production facilities, woodworking companies, workshops.
- Stationary tools. Such units are classified as professional, it is advisable to use them in large enterprises, large workshops, factories, factories, etc.
The band saw differs, first of all, in accuracy and quality of cut. In this article, we will look at the three most popular band saw models: Makita 2107FW, Bosch GCB 18 V-LI and Milwaukee HD18 BS-0.
Specifications Makita 2107FW Bosch GCB 18 V-LI Milwaukee HD18 BS-0 Type Tape Tape Tape Design Manual Manual Manual Manual Battery operation Yes Yes Battery voltage, V 18 18 Power, W 710 Cutting height, mm 120 64 85 Cutting width, mm 120 64 85 Weight, kg 5.7 3.8 4.5 Functions and features Backlight availability, smooth and soft speed settings Backlight availability, smooth and soft speed settings Backlight availability Package contents Stand for stationary use Two saw blades Without battery and charger
Model Overview Makita 2107FW
The Makita 2107 FW tape tool is an extremely powerful device (power 710 W), which belongs to the professional category.
It is equipped with a reinforced gear reducer that rotates the saw blade at a speed of 105 m / min.
Due to the adjustable speed of movement, it is possible to choose the optimal speed mode depending on the material of the workpiece, or rather its density.
Soft and smooth operation of the cutting tape is carried out using a pair of practically wear-free bearings. It is very easy to change a dusty tape and the process will take no more than two minutes. Especially for this, the tool is equipped with a quick-clamping mechanism. In order to avoid involuntary switching the device on or off, it has a start button stopper.
The Makita 2107 FW band saw can be used both in manual mode and in stationary mode, because the kit includes a platform for stationary use. The second option is more convenient, since the unit does not weigh so little to keep it on weight for a long time.
Advantages of the professional Makita 2107 FW band saw
The following especially important advantages of the Makita 2107 FW were noted by users:
- Comfortable management. Thanks to the non-slip handle of ergonomic shape, the device is very convenient to hold in your hand and perform cutting. The built-in switch facilitates more precise control of the saw blade. Due to the well-thought-out form, you can work with both the right hand and the left.
- Stable stand. Thanks to a reliable cast base, the device is firmly located in a vertical state. This allows for more precise cuts.
- Work safety. The cutting blade with sharp teeth is covered with a special protective case, only its working area is open. Due to this, the most safe operation with the unit is achieved.
- Universality. Saw Makita 2107 copes with cutting rubber and various pipes perfectly when performing locksmith, electrical and assembly tasks.
- Very light weight for such a professional tool. 5.7 kg for such power and productivity. Nothing.
- The presence of a speed controller for working with various materials.
- Reliable web fixing through four bearings on both sides.
- Instant blade replacement thanks to clamping lever.
- The presence of fluorescent illumination of the working corner.
- Independence of the lamp switch from the main switch of the unit.
- Pendulum move.
- Ability to process workpieces with a diameter of up to 120 mm.
- High product strength and structural reliability.
- The ability to power from an ungrounded outlet.
Disadvantages of Makita 2107 FW Professional Band Saw
- Lack of ability to cut various products at an angle. There is no special clamp for this. Also, some users note that 5.7 kg is too much. However, if you recall what power the Makita 2107 band saw gives out, the opinion becomes completely opposite.
- Dependence of the device on electricity, that is, the lack of a battery. In other words, this tool is not very portable. Especially these people would like to recall that the Makita 2107 band saw is a professional cutting device. It is suitable for manual use, but still more suitable for stationary.
- High cost, but the price is fully consistent with the quality.
According to users, the Makita 2107 FW is an ideal tool for performing large-scale work on cutting metal, rubber, wood, plastic and other things. If you have the financial ability and there is enough free space in the back room. Feel free to buy this model. You will not regret for a minute.
review of the Makita 2107 FW model:
Bosch GCB 18 V-LI Model Overview
The Bosch GCB 18 V-LI Band Saw is a compact, band-powered band saw in its category. The minimum weight (only 3.8 kg) and compact structure (dimensions 12.7 x 733 x 1 mm) make it possible to conveniently perform the necessary work even in very hard-to-reach areas and in limited spaces.
The depth of cut (can reach 63.5 mm) allows for cutting products from all popular materials. For example, the aluminum profile, plastic and metal pipes the Bosch GCB 18 V-LI band saw will “crack” at a time.
A huge advantage of this device is the ability to cut plastic, rubber, metal, aluminum and other things, not only directly, but also at a forty-five degree angle.
Despite such amazing compactness, the Bosch GCB 18 V-LI tool is professional and at the highest level copes with its tasks, even if you need to perform them in cramped conditions.
Thanks to the indicative frequency of circulation at zero load (162 m / min), high-quality cutting of flexible objects from soft and elastic materials is ensured.
This tool works on an 18-volt lithium-ion battery. The main advantage of this power source is that it completely lacks the memory effect and the ability to self-discharge.
Also useful is the ability to put the battery on charge at any time, regardless of the degree of charge. When removed from recharging, the efficiency of the device does not decrease.
It can be put on charge at any time, regardless of the level of charge.
Thanks to Bosch’s unmatched premium-class lithium-ion technology, the product’s product life is significantly extended and the battery lasts for as long as possible.
Benefits of the Bosch GCB 18 V-LI Tool
Bosch GCB 18 V-LI has many advantages, of which the most important are the following:
- The accuracy was cut due to the lack of vibration during operation and the presence of a working corner backlight (there is a built-in LED flashlight).
- Long battery life and impressive battery life.
- Availability of a power supply protection system from deep discharge, overheating and overloads. This technology is called Bosch Electronic Cell Protection (ECP)
- High mobility due to the low weight of the corrugated aluminum shield.
- The stabilized saw tape of a roller guide.
- Protection against accidental shutdown of the saw. The start button is blocked.
- The ability to work in hard-to-reach areas and in tight spaces.
- The ability to work with one hand, can be left and right.
- Significant depth cut.
- Lack of sparks during the work even at the greatest loadings.
- Work without sparks.
- The presence of a battery indicator. Thanks to an alarm about the level of charge with the help of three glowing LED bulbs, the device can be put on time for charging.
- The presence of an arrow indicating the cutting direction of the saw blade arrows adds even greater safety.
- There is no likelihood of overload if the device is used for its intended purpose.
- Soft, ergonomic, high-quality insulated handles.
Disadvantages of the Bosch GCB 18 V-LI tool
According to users, this tool is ideal for its category, size and price and does not have a single drawback.
review of the Bosch GCB 18 V-LI model:
Milwaukee HD18 BS-0 model review
The Milwaukee HD18 BS-0 tool also belongs to the category of compact lightweight band saws suitable for working in cramped conditions. It is characterized by a number of important advantages, which we will discuss below.
How the Wood Band Saw Works
Benefits of the Band Saw Milwaukee HD18 BS-0
- Overload protection and increased productivity with REDLINK ™ technology
- Ability to cut in hard-to-reach areas.
- Simplicity and speed of replacement of a saw tape.
- Monitoring the status of all parts of the battery.
- The presence of a charge indicator and backlight.
- Long work without recharge.
- The ability to perform work even at 20 ° C.
- Ability to work from any battery manufacturer Milwaukee.
The disadvantages of the band saw Milwaukee HD18 BS-0
Of the disadvantages of this model, we can distinguish only:
- Lack of a battery in the kit.
- Lack of a charger in the kit.
According to users, the MILWAUKEE HD 18 BS-0 is a great saw for its weight category (super light). However, it is slightly heavier than the Bosch GCB 18 V-LI. So it is worth weighing all the benefits before buying again.
review of the MILWAUKEE HD 18 BS-0 model:
So, behind are three reviews of excellent band saws in their own way. Users of these devices noted both the advantages of each of them, and the disadvantages.
The lightest of the proposed options is the Bosch GCB 18 V-LI. This option is ideal for high-altitude work.
Before you finally make a choice, take a look at the selected tool. It should suit you in size, weight, shape.
Do-it-yourself band saw: drawings, welding, sharpening, manufacturing, woodwork, photos ands
Any owner of a private house wants to have a different technique. This greatly facilitates the necessary work for him. If you need to deal with wood products, labor will become easier when you have the right apparatus. Do-it-yourself band saw is actually done simply, the main thing is to use drawings, as well as the advice of various professionals.
Device and application
Used both at home and in industry for sawing wood. It has its pros and cons, but they do not apply it almost everywhere.
A home-made band saw consists of a pulley and an electric motor attached to the frame, and a blade for cutting material is attached to the first ones. Without the engine, the device will not work.
The canvas can be different, due to which both wood and metals and even polypropylene are cut.
Homemade Band Saw
Pros and cons
I must say that a band saw with its own hands is easy and quick to master, but it is recommended to know in advance about all its advantages and disadvantages.
- It works at high speed.
- Very accurate.
- Very productive.
- Low thermal conductivity.
- You can set individual parameters for blanks.
- Bends can be either straight or curved.
- To collect the device, a lot of money is not needed.
- After the work of the tape, a cut remains, the width of which is small. Therefore, there will be little waste. This is a very big advantage when wood products are made.
- Cutting can only be longitudinal. This is due to the design of the unit.
- When it works, it vibrates and makes noise.
- The machine is quite large.
- It is necessary to use special equipment for the production of saws.
Choice of a cloth and machine
- Diamond. Cuts ornamental stones, for example, granite and quartz, as well as marble.
- The bimetallic cloth can cut stainless steel and alloys.
- Tooling. Appropriate steel is used. Needed for simple materials. They are used by small workshops.
- Carbide. They are used for complex alloys.
Machine tools also vary. They are divided into 3 types:
- Toothless. Very productive, often used for metal. There are teeth, but small. The principle of operation is based on friction, as well as heating an additional type.
- Toothed. So sawn plastic with wood. Cloth closed.
- Electroisk. Suitable for enterprises with a large volume of processed products.
Tooth selection table
Materials and various tools
There are many tools available to make the device. If a person conceived the manufacture of a band saw with his own hands, then he should stock up on the following items:
- Electric type engine.
- Polyurethane adhesive. Connect parts.
- Fasteners such as bolts and screws.
- Steel rod, as well as channel. Required in order to make the axle and frame.
- Rubber. Sheet type. Wood protects it.
- Belt. For wheels.
- Sheet steel. A cutting blade is made of it.
- Wooden shield (plywood or chipboard can be used). It is necessary for a frame with a curbstone, and also a pulley.
- Welding machine.
- Angle Grinder.
- Machine tools. Cutting, grinding, welding.
The manufacture of the apparatus does not occur in one step, but in several. If a person makes such an assembly as a band saw with his own hands drawings. This is the main thing, you can not do without them:
Band Saw Drawing
- First they build a table, and then a pedestal. Apply for this a wooden shield. After all, this is a fixture for fixing the mechanism itself.
- They take plywood, make pulleys, and paste with sheet rubber.
- All elements made of wood are polished, and epoxy is used for coating from above.
- Next, to assemble the device, make a frame. It resembles the letter “C”. Therefore, the tape is well held. To make it, they take a channel. And they put a steel axle on it.
- Then you need to take the bushings, and put on the axle pulleys, after which the latter balance.
- The tape can vibrate so that this does not happen, use a damper.
- Now all the parts that will move are connected to the engine.
- In order to feed the material itself, they make a special mechanism using corners of metal.
Band saw on wood: the pros and cons of the device. Self-made construction
All photos from the article
The photo shows a vertical band saw in action.
As for the machines, the canvas in them can be located both vertically and horizontally. The positive and negative qualities of the products are described below.
Pros and cons of the device
List of Important Benefits
- The economical use is primarily due to the relatively small thickness of the cut.
- A high level of productivity is achieved thanks to a sufficiently high cutting speed.
- The low price of products provides an opportunity to significantly expand the range of key consumers.
- A long period of operation of the device is provided due to the special design.
- When used, excessive noise is not created, which means that the work takes place in comfortable conditions.
It looks like a band saw on a tree.
- When setting up, inexperienced users may experience problems, since this process is quite complicated.
- In connection with the presence of a closed system on the opposite side, a protective mechanism must necessarily be arranged.
- Due to design features, the product is more suitable for longitudinal cutting.
The products involved are of manual type.
Selection of finished products
There are not many people who know how to choose the right band saws for wood. Therefore, those who are not up to date are invited to familiarize themselves with the main recommendations and criteria. In the acquisition process, the technical characteristics of the model should be taken into account first.
The accuracy of the cutting mode is determined by the feed and cutting speeds. There are recommended ranges in which the operation should be performed.
With increased productivity, the durability of the canvas decreases. This must be taken into account when choosing.
Particular attention should be paid to the device manufacturer. If he has a good reputation and has been operating for a long time, then in most cases his products are of high quality.
Carefully inspect the main components: a portal, a moving mechanism, guiding elements, rollers and pulleys.
For sawing timber, a portal made of square pipes with reinforcing profiles should be selected. Lack of additional rigidity can lead to deformation of the main body. However, minor work can be done without additional amplification, which will positively affect the cost of the product.
The model Bison ZPL-350-190 is demonstrated.
Reliable manufacturers make guiding parts from solid metal. When using conventional pipes, bends can be detected after some time, and this leads to additional difficulties in the maintenance of the device.
In terms of safety, it is recommended to purchase products with double insulation or a separate grounding plug. Around the area intended for work, there should be good visibility. An additional plus can be considered the presence of a special locking switch.
Wood band saw specifications can vary greatly depending on the type of device. For comparison, a table is presented, which shows the parameters for the three models of the stationary type.
Characteristics Bison ZPL-350-190 De Walt DW 876 PROMA PP-250 Power 350 W 1000 W 350 W Blade speed 882 m / min 800 m / min 750 m / min Maximum cut width 190 mm 310 mm 250 mm Weight 17 kg 54 kg 25 kg Number of speeds 1 2 1 Dimensions of the desktop 29 × 29 cm 50 × 50 cm 29 × 29 cm
The selection of the cutting part should be given close attention, as this will affect not only the quality of the cut, but also to some extent on productivity. In addition, the operational period of the web will depend on the correctness of the acquisition. If you use the wrong tape during the work, then its service life will be short.
The main parameters of the canvas.
First of all, it is recommended to take into account the material of manufacture. Typically, carbon steel or alloy steel is used for such operations. Recently, however, bimetallic band saws on wood have been popular, combining strength and good cutting characteristics.
In addition to the material of manufacture, each consumer must take into account some other factors.
- The number of teeth per inch can vary between 3-24 pieces. With an increase in their number, the evenness of the cut increases. For optimum performance, an 8-tooth blade is usually purchased.
- The width of the edge is not of fundamental importance from the point of view of the quality of the cut, but it affects directly the period of operation. In any case, this figure should be five times the height of the tooth.
Width and minimum web radius.
Before the main work, drawings of a band saw on wood are made with your own hands, so that the dimensions and basic elements are clearly presented. Directly from the finished sketches, the assembly of the structure is carried out, most of the fragments of which will be made of wood.
Sample drawings of a homemade band saw on wood.
The frame can be made of polished boards glued with overlap. The thickness of the elements used must not be less than 25 mm. It is not recommended to use wood-based panels and furniture panels for the base, since they do not have the necessary strength.
The frame in this case will have a C-shape. To increase the stiffness indicators, six additional layers are attached to six layers of glued wood. Parts must be fixed sequentially, while controlling the perpendicularity of the fragments.
This is how the supporting frame is made.
Mobile unit device
After assembling the frame, a special device is installed to fix the upper roller, with which the cutting blade will be tensioned. To do this, a special profile is installed, which allows you to create a guide groove.
Reinforce corner joints with additional inserts. After their installation, quarters are selected on each side to arrange a place for the installation of guide elements. The frame should move freely in the grooves without any backlash.
A long bolt is installed on top to adjust and move the cutting edge. The tilt of the wheel can be varied using a special screw. It is mounted directly on the holder.
An additional metal gasket is installed under it. The shaft in the frame is mounted using self-tapping screws.
The wheels of the device are cut out of plywood or MDF. They are created by gluing several layers of wood boards. The most difficult moment is the formation of the central part of the rollers, since during the operation of the device they must rotate.
Wheels for the device are cut from plywood.
Shafts are made directly under purchased bearings. On the one hand, an internal thread is made, and on the other, a limiter. Before drilling a bearing hole, four holes for dowels must be made.
The finished product is connected to the engine, after which the central part is grinded to the desired size. The base from the bicycle chamber is glued to the work surface.
This reduces noise during operation and prevents slipping of the roller. After that, balancing is performed.
When the wheels are fully manufactured, a drive pulley is made on any of them. Its thickness must be strictly adjusted to the applicable belt. As for the diameter, it is calculated so that the speed of the web is a certain number of meters per minute.
First, the upper element is installed, and then the lower one. To do this, fluoroplastic washers are installed on the shaft.
Fastening is carried out by a large bolt with a washer of the required thickness. The locking part is screwed directly into the end part of the axis.
Pulleys must be aligned according to this pattern.
Before this operation, adjustment of the guide elements is required. Only after this is the tension of the band saw on wood. With proper work, a stable position of the blade on the pulleys, as well as its stability in the cut, is ensured.
The first step is to make a support part equipped with a tilt mechanism. A special block of bearings is fixed to it.
A lining made of chipboard is attached to the rotary device. It will allow to some extent increase the rigidity of the structure.
As the top cover, you can use the scrap of the old countertop. A rectangular hole is made in the working area, after which an MDF insert is installed.
Carry out the work when the saw is turned on. The element is retracted to the stop, while the cut is made along the length.
Installation of a curbstone
The dimensions of the structure depend primarily on the dimensions of the resulting base. The main material is a grooved floor board with a thickness of 35 mm.
The frame of the cabinet is assembled by means of dowels. Corners from the inside are necessarily reinforced by corners made of metal.
At production of a curbstone such board is used.
- For comfortable work, you can make the backlight of the working area using a conventional lamp equipped with a flexible bracket. The wires in this case are passed through the frame.
- It is also advisable to build a parallel emphasis based on an eccentric. With this option, a special grip is fixed on the opposite side of the element, abutting against the edge of the desktop.
- It is recommended to install protective covers. They will remove the chips and at the same time act as guiding parts. For the manufacture of suitable MDF boards, the thickness of which is 8 mm.
- After the assembly of the structure, all wooden elements should be treated with an antiseptic compound, otherwise mold and traces of rot on the external walls of the home-made device cannot be avoided.
- Bearing parts should be made only of hard wood so that the service life of the device is relatively long. This primarily relates to the support frame and holding parts.
Finishing touches to create the design.
Beginning craftsmen will be able to repair the tape saws on this type of wood at any time on their own, as they are already fully acquainted with the manufacturing scheme. The main problems mainly arise with the wear of the elements holding the cutting blade.
Additional information about the tool for woodcarving will provide a special in this article.
DIY Band Saw Welding
DIY Band Saw Welding
For the normal operation of the band saw, it is subjected to welding. The method by which this process is performed is selected individually, in accordance with the characteristics of the operation of this material.
About equipment for welding band saws, we will consider further.
Band saw: device and principle of operation
There are a large number of various saws that have individual characteristics of use and a peculiar design. In some, a disk is used as a cutting tool, while in others, a tape.
Installation of the sawing tape is carried out on the pulleys of the leading and driven directions. To pull it, great efforts should be made, only in this case, the cutting line will be uniform.
The main features of this design are individual blocks, which are supplemented and expanded independently. On a simple device, the material for cutting into which is supplied manually, additional mechanisms are installed, such as an electronic system for monitoring the operability of the device, thanks to which it works without outside human intervention.
Among the main structural elements of the band saw, we note the presence of:
- A frame on which there are guides with which the tape moves;
- In order to tension the belt, a mechanism is used, on which there is a spring, mechanical and hydraulic drive;
- Cutter belt holder;
- A screw-type lifting mechanism that is installed near the belt;
- Belt type transmission on which the wedges are located;
- An electric motor with a power of about fifteen kilowatts or a gasoline-based engine with the same power;
- Eccentrics with which the log is fixed on the frame;
- A water tank and a crane that wets the part in the process of cutting;
- Rail strip on which the structure moves.
Also, each saw is distinguished by individual structural elements, such as enclosures for fencing, and thrust mechanisms that increase work safety. In order to regulate and adjust the work on the work surface there are slats that are marked.
The principle of operation of the mechanism is based on the laying of a log between two guides and its rigid fixation. To determine the thickness of the board, it should be raised using a special mechanism.
DIY welding of band saws with your own hands
In order to connect the two ends of the band saw, they should be welded. This process is performed using special equipment for welding band saws.
Resistance welding of a band saw consists in the fact that electricity passes through two connected ends of the saw, which leads to their overheating and melting of the edges on the blade.
For current supply using electrodes connected to the clamps.
There are a huge number of welding machines with which resistance welding is performed. Some advanced options are able to provide automation of the welding and annealing cycle.
Therefore, errors associated with excessive welding or the wrong time during which a pulse is transmitted are excluded.
In a simpler mechanism, the control of the annealing and welding feed is done by the operator.
Self-welding of a band saw is possible only if you have experience with this kind of equipment. Among the main design features of the machine for welding band saws, we note the presence of:
- Body parts;
- Welding type transformer;
- Clamping mechanisms on which there are electrodes and clamping levers;
- Start button;
- Clamps: movable and motionless.
The main function of the movable clamp is the free run with which the draft is carried out. In the process of the ends of the saw moving towards each other, a welding roller is formed. In order for the ends of the saw to be pressed against each other, a special spring is used to create pressure.
Do-it-yourself welding of band saws consists of the following steps:
- Performing saw cutting;
- Performing stripping of its end sections;
- Installation of the web in the design of the welding machine, determining the operating mode: stroke and shrinkage;
- Welding of cloths;
- Performing annealing;
- Stripping seams.
The first step is cutting, which involves determining the size of the saw. In order to cut the required section of the blade, use guillotine shears or a cutting wheel. When using a cloth that was previously welded, about five centimeters are cut off on each side.
In this situation, when performing cutting, a number of rules should be taken into account:
- The place where the blades are interconnected should be located between the upper parts of the teeth;
- During the cutting process, a little allowance should be left to compensate for metal shrinkage, the optimal allowance is one and a half millimeters on each side;
- Try to make the cutting line as even as possible, the quality of further welding depends on this.
Only in this case, the canvas will have an even line on the bend.
A fairly simple way to perform cutting is laying the saw in a certain position, trimming and mopping each of the ends individually. In this case, even if there is no perpendicular cut line, its end sections will still be docked. In this case, the web after welding will differ in an even seam.
Further actions are related to the execution of stripping. These areas should be cleaned of dirt, degreased with acetone or alcohol. Use abrasive to strip edges. As a result, perfectly smooth and smooth areas should be obtained.
Next is mounting the canvas on the surface of the apparatus. The prepared saw should be installed inside the clamping mechanism. At the same time, one part of it remains mobile, and the second does not. In the central part of the edge of the saw are interconnected. Edge matching should be perfect.
Using the control knobs on the device, the force, stroke, shrinkage, and device operation mode are regulated. These parameters for each saw are selected individually and depend on its size, steel thickness, operation characteristics, etc. With an increase in the cross section of the saw, the current strength required for welding increases.
In order to more accurately determine these parameters, use the instructions for the device. It should have a table according to which the operating mode of the equipment should be determined.
In some devices, it is enough to select only the welding mode, without indicating the current strength and voltage for operation.
In order to weld the saw, it is necessary to set the lever in a certain position.
Band saw welding is done by pressing a button or turning a lever. After that, a current is supplied to each clamp, and a saw is transferred from them. Thus, the metal in the joining zone of the two sections is melted and connected to each other.
The spring acts on the surface of the movable clamp, which is shifted to the fixed clamp, on the draft. At the same time, in the butt zone, a weld bead is formed with which the saw is connected.
Determining the parameters of welding, you should choose the time for which the supply of current pulses. Welding machines with automatic operation shut off the current, after a few seconds from the moment of their supply. However, if this parameter on the welding machine is manually adjusted, then it is necessary to monitor it.
In the process of welding, certain difficulties arise associated with the material from which the saw is made. In accordance with this parameter, the operating mode of the welding machine is determined.
In some cases, without experience, determining this parameter is very difficult. If in the end the welding did not satisfy you, then you should experiment, choosing the necessary mode for unnecessary cutting of the canvas.
After selecting the optimal operating mode, write down its parameters in order to apply it in the future.
Note that the electrodes that come in contact with the saw must be clean. Foreign substances or dirt on their surface, adversely affect the quality of welding of the saw.
Further actions are related to performing annealing, which helps the metal, which has become brittle and rather hard during welding, gain strength, toughness and ductility. For the annealing, the same clamps are used as in the welding process. However, a different current supply mode is used for operation.
The optimum temperature at which annealing is performed is about six hundred degrees. In this case, it is necessary to maintain the cooling of the device at a slow pace, for this the current supply button should be held down, pressed and released at a certain time. In order for the metal to cool gradually, periodically press the current supply button for annealing.
If there is no pyrometer on the welding machine, then the temperature is controlled by the external characteristics of the metal surface. During the firing process, the steel acquires a red-cherry hue. In no case do not heat the metal to orange or even more so saturated red.
The process of gradual cooling of the metal takes no more than five minutes. Some canvases require two annealing cycles. In some cases, welding and annealing are performed in one process.
In this situation, the time for cooling the seams is increased by periodically supplying current to the metal.
After welding, the blades should be cleaned from the influx formed on the weld. Almost any tool with abrasive characteristics is suitable for stripping seams. The main condition for high-quality stripping is to obtain a flat and smooth surface.
We offer you to familiarize yourself with the main errors that occur during the welding process:
1. Offset welded edges. In this case, the canvas is in different planes. This problem occurs when there is insufficient current strength during the welding process or with a very large draft.
2. The melt located on the web is observed in the process of supplying a very large current.
3. Non-digested areas are formed if the pressure supplied to the system is too low.
The minimum value of the protrusion of the seam on a qualitatively boiled stove is about one and a half millimeters.
To check the quality of annealing, the sheet is bent in a radius of twenty centimeters and inspected. If the arc resembles a standard circle and the seam remains intact, then the welding quality is at the proper level.
Welding band saws price and features of soldering
The cost of welding band saws is determined primarily by their size, thickness of steel and features of operation. However, there is another way to connect the saw. This is soldering. This option is easier to perform at home than welding.
First of all, the blade should be prepared, for this the saw edges are cleaned of dirt and degreased. The ends of the canvas are connected in the butt position, but the edges must be beveled.
In order to give the faces a bevel shape, use an abrasive wheel. The optimal bevel value is from eight to twelve centimeters. The chamfered areas should be connected as evenly as possible.
In order to solder the saw, the presence of solders is required, the best option is silver pSR45 or pSR65. Solders with a lower silver content are not recommended.
As a flux, it is preferable to use a paste that is used in the process of soldering metal. This version of the flux is convenient.
In the absence of this substance, a variant of its independent manufacture is possible. For this, ammonium chloride is combined with borax in a ratio of one to ten.
With the help of water, the consistency of the composition, which should become pasty, is regulated.
To heat the saw during the brazing process, use a gas burner. The heating temperature is determined by the type of solder, the optimal value is from 650 to 600 degrees. Do not overheat the metal so as not to disturb its structure.
Using a special device, the ends of the saw are interconnected. The soldering process is as follows. First of all, apply flux to the surface of the edges. Try to apply the paste exclusively on mowed areas.
Further, the joints are heated to a certain temperature and solder is fed to the junction of the ends of the saw. After that, a strip appears on the surface, indicating that the soldering is performed correctly.
Solder melting is performed not under the influence of the burner, but from a previously heated metal. After a few minutes, the metal cools, only after that, the saw is removed from the mechanism.
In the presence of small sagging, the seam is cleaned with any abrasive material.