How to assemble the clutch on the STIHL 180
STIHL 180 Saw Disassembly and Reassembly Video
Disassembling the starter to change the cord is no problem for an experienced user, but the plastic housing in most cases, can not be repaired. Most Chinese made chainsaws are copies of the most popular European models, so let’s disassemble the Chinese chainsaw in a standard way. Worn components in the saw chain cannot be repaired.
- A new chain can be shortened at home to fit a shorter bar.
- The life of a brand-name guide bar is as long as three saw chains.
- This can be severely limited by improper chain pitch or excessive wear on the drive sprocket rim.
The handwheel on the STIHL chain saw 180 is screwed in tightly, so a metal handle and a screwdriver are needed to take it off. The nut holding the flywheel is unscrewed using a 13 head.
To block the crankshaft from turning, you need to unscrew the spark plug and through the spark plug hole install a piston stopper, if it does not exist, you can use an old starter cord, with knots tied to it and immersed in the cylinder through the spark plug hole.
Once the piston is locked in the cylinder, the flywheel nut can be unscrewed. The thread in the nut is standard and should be turned to the left. loosened the nut, it is not necessary to remove it completely, just unscrew it until its upper edge is level with the tip of the shaft, and then set the soft metal mallet on the nut and make a sharp blow on it. The flywheel thus comes off the shaft during a sudden impact and can be easily removed without any tools.
Design and operation of the chainsaw clutch
Most sawyers do not understand the working principle of the chainsaw clutch mechanism. During operation it is not necessary to know the principle of operation, but when malfunctions occur, in order to eliminate them, it is necessary to find out the design and features of the chainsaw clutch operation.
Modern chainsaws are equipped with centrifugal clutch mechanisms. Centrifugal clutch. this means that its performance depends on the torque of the engine. The main purpose of the clutch on the chainsaw is to ensure the transfer of torque from the engine crankshaft to the saw headset (chain). The device works in automatic mode, and how this happens, let’s find out in detail.
The clutch mechanism consists of the following structural elements:
- The drum with a removable or fixed sprocket. it is a transmission mechanism
- Friction pads. under the influence of centrifugal force, they move, meshing with the drum
- the spring is what holds the liners against the crankshaft
Now how the chainsaw clutch works.
When the tool’s two-stroke engine starts, it starts turning the crankshaft. A clutch is attached to the shaft and the chain is connected to it by a sprocket. When the chainsaw is idling (shaft speed is up to 2700 rpm), i.e. the gas pedal trigger is not pressed, the spring presses the friction plates and as a result the torque is not transmitted to the reel.
As soon as the chain saw operator picks up the tool and starts to increase the rpm (maximum up to 14000 rpm) the chain starts to move on the bar. this is achieved by increasing the rotation speed of the crankshaft. Through the force of inertia, the friction plates (also called counterweights) move and engage with the inner walls of the drum. The result is the movement of the drum, which is connected to the sprocket. Rotating sprocket actuates the chain.
The principle of operation is simple, due to its uncomplicated design. If this part fails, the chain saw won’t operate. A detailed description of the principle of the chainsaw clutch mechanism is described in this material.
This is interesting!The clutch acts not only as a transmission mechanism, but also as a safety device. It prevents the chainsaw engine from failing prematurely if the chain jams in the wood being sawed.
Signs of chainsaw clutch failure
The chainsaw’s centrifugal clutch is functional until one of its regular elements fails. The operator will be notified of a broken mechanism by the following signs:
- Continuous chain rotation if the engine fails. the main reason for this is a cracked steel spring. To solve the problem, you will need to replace the chainsaw clutch spring. It is important to consider the constructional features of the mechanism. For example, STIHL chain saws have 3 springs and as many cams, Husqvarna has only 1 spring and 2 cams. If the operator can’t find a new spring, then the entire mechanism must be replaced;
- if the chain keeps turning and makes a noise in the clutch, it is caused by a broken spring and overheated or damaged cam. To find the cause of the failure, you need to disassemble the clutch. If the cams turn blue, they have overheated. This is caused by constantly running the chainsaw with the inertia brake engaged or by operating the tool with a blunt cutting chain. In order to eliminate the breakage, it will be necessary to replace the entire clutch;
- frequent slipping of the clutch. the problem is caused by a ruptured metal spring. In order to repair the gasoline tool, you will need to replace the entire mechanism.
In each of these cases, the clutch must be disassembled and all of its internal components inspected. In addition to replacing defective elements, the operator will also need to thoroughly clean the mechanism from dust and fine sawdust. this will extend the life of the remaining elements of the factory clutch.
Signs of chainsaw clutch failure
The chainsaw’s centrifugal clutch works until one of its regular elements fails. The following signs will tell the operator that the mechanism is broken:
- Constant chain rotation with an unstable power unit. the main cause of this failure is a cracked steel spring. To solve the problem, you will need to replace the chainsaw clutch spring. It is important to take into account the specific design features of the mechanism. For example, STIHL chain saws have 3 springs and as many cams, while Husqvarna has only 1 spring and 2 cams. If the operator cannot find a new spring, then the entire mechanism must be replaced;
- If the chain keeps turning and makes a noise on the clutch side, if the spring is loose and the cam is overheated or damaged. To find the cause of the failure, the clutch must be disassembled. If the cams turn blue, they have overheated. This occurs due to constant use of the chainsaw with the inertia brake engaged or as a result of operating the tool with a blunt cutting chain. To fix the failure, you will need to replace the entire clutch;
- Frequent slipping of the clutch. the cause of the failure is a broken metal spring. To repair the gasoline tool, the whole mechanism must be replaced.
In each of these cases, it is necessary to disassemble the clutch and inspect all of its internal parts. In addition to replacing defective elements the operator will also need to thoroughly clean the mechanism from dust and small sawdust. this will prolong the life of the remaining elements of the factory clutch.
When the clutch needs to be replaced
Removing and replacing the chainsaw clutch is performed if a malfunction of the mechanism is detected. Such malfunctions include:
- Damaged spring.Depending on the tool model, the spring can be of two types. coil (ribbon or single) or steel plate. The spring is damaged by stretching, disconnection or mechanical defect. To determine if there is a problem with the entire mechanism, you will need to remove the safety guard and drum
- Damaged and worn out drum.This fault is often caused by pieces of. This condition requires replacing the drum. The inner drum also wears out, so the part also needs to be replaced. If the blue drum is color coded, it indicates that it has been overheated and should not be used any longer
The service life of the clutch mechanism does not only depend on the quality of the parts you use, but also on how well you use the tool. To extend the life of your chainsaw clutch, you need to look for the signs that are reducing the life of your chain saw. Such signs are:
- Frequent catching or jamming of the chain in the wood. In these situations the clutch takes up all the load and prevents the motor from seizing
- Never increase the engine speed while the handbrake is engaged, which also causes the mechanism to wear through overheating
- Use of bad oil, bad tire, wrong chain etc.п. This also affects the clutch, increasing the clutch load and thus reducing the service life of the machine
It’s pretty easy to spot a malfunction. To do this, you need to saw a piece of wood. If the chain slows or stops while sawing when the load is increased, it is time to check the clutch. For an in-depth look at how to remove and replace the clutch on a chainsaw, see.
This is interesting!Check the suitability of the compression spring can be checked by connecting a tachometer to the tool. At idle you need to crank the number 2500-2700 revolutions per minute on the tachometer. At this setting, the chain on the chain saw should not rotate. If you observe a different picture, it indicates a decrease in the compressive properties of the spring. It is recommended to replace it.On this basis, it should be noted that the chainsaw clutch is in close relationship with the carburetor. If you can not adjust the idle speed on the chain saw by adjusting the carburetor, then you need to check the clutch.
How to remove the clutch on the chainsaw. Clutch assembly
Chainsaw for the farm man. an indispensable tool that comes to the rescue when carrying out logging works of different volume, implementation of construction projects from a bar, improvement of private estates, garden, yard, on the farm.
The power unit consists of several important components, including the clutch. It’s not uncommon for a tool to malfunction because of a faulty chainsaw clutch. This is a typical breakdown faced by chainsaw owners, regardless of its class, power, model and manufacturer. To fix the clutch or at least accurately diagnose the cause of the breakdown, operators need to know how to unscrew the clutch on a chainsaw. This knowledge will not only allow you to carry out the forced repair work, but also planned cleaning, inspection for preventive purposes. Do not forget that the clutch and its serviceability influence the long and effective work of the tool.
How to remove and replace a chain saw sprocket?
The clutch is removed and disassembled in the following cases:
- When the spring is broken, when the motor is unstable;
- The spring has collapsed;
- The drum is chipped and a noise is heard;
- Natural wear and tear from continuous use.
The engines that equip almost all modern chainsaw models are connected by a reducer to the sawing surface. The chain moves, but remains stationary when idling. When the load is much higher than permitted, the clutch stops delivering torque to the bar.
Many owners of gasoline chain saws are concerned about how to remove the chain saw sprocket after the device has broken.
When replacing the sprocket, all work must be done with care and caution.
The chainsaw is designed as a classic chain saw that is powered by an internal combustion engine. The machine is designed with one of the simplest single-cylinder, two-stroke carburetor engines that run on gasoline.
The simplicity of the engine and the chainsaw’s overall design is key to trouble-free and dependable operation in tough applications. Operating a chainsaw does not require much knowledge or skill on the part of the operator.
To reduce tool wear, check chain lubrication, chain tension, chain wear, and drive sprocket wear.
Before you repair your chainsaw, you should study its design. To carry out the replacement of one of the main elements of the structure of the device. the leading sprocket. it is required to study the mechanism of operation of the unit clutch.
How to remove and replace chain saw sprocket?
The clutch is removed and disassembled in the following cases:
- If the spring is broken, when the motor is unstable;
- The spring has broken;
- The drum is chipped and you hear a noise;
- Natural wear and tear after long hours of operation.
Nearly all today’s chainsaw models are equipped with an engine that is connected to the saw’s cutting surface by a gearbox. The chain moves, but if idle is engaged, it remains stationary. When the load is too high, the clutch stops transmitting torque to the guide bar.
Many owners of gasoline chain saws are concerned about how to remove the chain saw sprocket after the device has broken.
Work must be done with care and caution when replacing the chainwheel.
The design of the chainsaw device is a classic mechanism, which is driven by the internal combustion engine. The machine is built with one of the more basic single-cylinder, two-stroke carburetor engines that run on gasoline.
The simplicity of the engine and the chainsaw’s overall design is a major contributor to its trouble-free and dependable operation under severe conditions. Operating a chainsaw does not require much knowledge or skill on the part of the operator.
To reduce tool wear you should control quality of saw chain lubrication, its tensioning, degree of chain wear and degree of drive sprocket wear.
Before repairing a chainsaw, you should study its design. In order to replace one of the main elements of the construction of the device. the drive sprocket. it is necessary to study the mechanism of the unit’s clutch.
What is the right thing to do??
There can only be one answer: only as written in the instruction manual that comes with the saw. And there may be two options:
- The manufacturer is not confident in the quality of their products and recommends a special mode of its operation in the first hours of operation. This is a normal situation in technologically impoverished industries and therefore it is better to perform thoroughly what is recommended.
- The instructions do not say anything about how to make it.
What does an old-school person do after carefully reading the manual and finding nothing about how to run the engine? Right, goes to forums and gets on the Internet, where he expects to find wise advice from experts. And there you have it, ready-made instructions on how to run a can or two of fuel at idle speed.
Dismantling by Various Ways
On the one hand, in order to keep maintenance budgets low, the rolling bearing is ideally replaced without dismantling the flywheel. At the same time, there is a major problem of repair by own efforts. how to remove the bearing without special tools and devices. This manual follows the traditional approach from the simple to the complex.
Soap or loaf
The flywheel is mounted on the end of the crankshaft, close to the seat specially designed for it. Secured with 5 to 8 bolts in various mounting arrangements. The bearing is mounted in the body of the flywheel with a slight interference fit and is easy to remove, but access is limited.
The simplest “folk” method of extracting the flywheel bearing is to fill the space of the inner rim with a thick plastic material. The most often used is rolled out to the state of plasticine loaf or soap in the scheme:
- the loaf is forced inside the cage by your hands flush with the outside surface of the bearing;
- is picked up by a pick, the outer size is equal to the inner diameter of the cage;
- light blows of the hammer on the pry bar will crumple the loaf inside the bearing;
- similar to a liquid or plastic medium, the force from the poke pressure is redistributed throughout the entire volume of soap or loaf crumbs;
- the working medium penetrates under the rear surface of the bearing, pushing it outward.
What tools do you need??
Stopping the engine with the chain brake on chainsaws is not allowed, as it can lead to overheating of this unit of the tool. To stop the engine, you must switch the engine control to idle, then turn off the engine with the stop key.
The chainsaw is powered by a two-stroke internal combustion gasoline engine connected through a transmission system (gearbox) to the saw chain. Closed sleeve roller chain runs on a guide bar and carries the saw teeth.
The chainsaw has an automatic clutch mechanism based on the centrifugal principle, which makes the chain stationary and safe at idle speed.
Modern chainsaws also have a brake mechanism that immediately stops the chain if the guide bar bounces toward the sawmill, the chain breaks or in other emergency situations. That’s why the Oleo-Mac chain saw is so popular today.
some models have guide bar attached to gear box that enables its fixation in horizontal or vertical position that makes it possible to make cuts in horizontal or vertical planes accordingly.
Many chainsaw models, especially those originally designed for use in felling, have an option to connect a remote hydraulic device (a so-called “hydrocline”), which is an executive hydraulic mechanism.
The working fluid (oil) is pressed into the hydromechanism by a chainsaw.
Electric chain saws are very common, and for example the sinker (hand-held tool for cutting deep and narrow slots) only comes with an electric motor. In general, having a certain skill it is possible to make a lot of useful things from a chainsaw.
Read more about Husqvarna chainsaw problems.
To make it easier to remove and disassemble the clutch you will need the following tool:
- A puller (comes with some saws);
- Wrench (also included);
- Flathead screwdriver;
- A special piston stopper or something suitable for this purpose;
- Replacement parts.
Disassembly of clutch and oil pump drive
Before you can disassemble the clutch, you must remove the drive sprocket. To do this, carefully remove the washer from the grooves on the shaft and remove the sprocket and needle bearing.
Unscrew the clutch with the high 19 head. It has a left-hand thread, so it unscrews to the side of the guide bar and not to the rear of the STIHL 180.
After unscrewing and removing the clutch, you must immediately remove the deflector plate and the oil pump drive, this is easy to do, t. к. they are put on the shaft without any fixation.
STIHL saw disassembly and assembly
Disassembling STIHL saw involves a few more nuances, one of which is worth naming the prohibited fixation of the handwheel from the twists with screws, screws and other improvised means. Doing so can cause the blades to break. Only fix them in the way shown in the diagram. We covered how to disassemble the STIHL 180, but there are also some details about how to reassemble the saw:
- mount the piston on the connecting rod, to the left of which is the crankshaft side where the flywheel will be;
- return the piston to the cylinder. To remove the clutch and the oil pump drive, you just have to unscrew the deflector plate and remove the oil pump drive;
- Degrease the crankcase and its seating, put sealant on it and fix it with 4 screws.
This is the nuances of the assembly back exactly the engine, at which there may be difficulties (if you disassembled it), all other parts are assembled in reverse order step by step. Do not forget to check the installation of the rod on the carb, the connection of the ignition wire. You can also watch the video to see all the different nuances. The KosiKosa chain saw store is pleased to offer all its knowledge to each of our readers and customers.
SHTIL MS 180: assembly
Group :. Assembly and parts view of the STIHL chain saw MS 180.
The process of removing and cleaning the air filter
If the inspection reveals any damage to the hose, it will be replaced. If the damage is minor, you can hide it with sealant. This radical method will reduce the cost of repair.
If the chainsaw starts to stall as a result of pressure on the gas, the problem is in the carburetor. Also a sign of carburetor malfunction can be a delayed start of the chainsaw and inability to gain speed.
Most often such a malfunction occurs as a result of wear of the rubber sleeve, which is placed on the piston of the fuel gas pedal. As a result, when you start the tool, air suction occurs. Basically such breakage occurs after several years of chain saw operation.
Use the following procedure to solve this problem:
- Remove the carburetor. Unscrew the screw that holds the diaphragm cover. Turn the carburettor so that the pin is visible. Remove the circlip from it and detach the choke spring. After that, the throttle valve. For this purpose it is necessary to unscrew the screw that holds it. The next step is to remove the choke axle.
- Pull out the gas pedal with the spring. There is a collar on it. Wear of this element leads to air suction and stops the engine after a recent start. The piston and cuff must be replaced.
- Reassemble the carburetor in reverse order and install it on the chainsaw.
and the drive sprocket seems to be getting to its own timing (eat marks from the chain)
Strange that a company with a name offers mineral for a revved motor! up to 5 thsd. is still possible, 5-9 thsd. is semi-synthetic, everything above. synthetic.
so, what’s the big deal?? regular oil.
Yuriy777888 That was the sticker on the STIHL saw
Constantin Volku, the number on the casing under the muffler and on the sticker, the same number on the box. If it’s not, so I wouldn’t have the guts to run into a fake, I would give up on the chainsaw and go to another shop for a different one.the dealer.
Yuriy777888 of course but here’s just the cylinder was black and the muffler is a spark plug original Bosch (white as such with blue sticks). When I called, they told me they give me a Victad warranty card, not a shtiliv one. what that means. Oh, and fix the number error. And where in fact to find this serial number? Buy a saw ?
My first STIHL 180, started it up and forgotten about the brake. I mean I know what the specs say to start the saw on the brake but I got confused and with the brake on I accelerated 3 times trying to get it off )))) now I’m worried as if it’s there))
Thanks for the reassurance)) of course I started it later and hinged it without using the brake. Happy New Year!! ))
Denis Shangin, Happy New Year 2021.) No big deal, just a couple of squeezes. it’s not creepy, the main thing is not to hold the gas at full throttle for a long time, then yes, then there will be difficulties. well, and for the future. STIHL 180 is pretty light chainsaw, so if you take all the safety precautions, you can start the engine without turning on the brake saw chain, but then again I remember, all this must be done carefully and in compliance with all safety precautions.
Before you disassemble the clutch, you need to remove the drive sprocket. To do this, carefully remove the lock washer from the grooves on the shaft and remove the sprocket and needle bearing.
Using the 19″ tall head, unscrew the clutch. The threads on it are on the left, so unscrew it toward the bar and not toward the rear of the STIHL 180.
What you can make from an old saw
To remove the carburetor, you need a head for 8 and an extension cord so you can easily loosen the carburetor and air filter mounting nuts. Before removing the carburettor, you must disconnect the ignition wire and the choke rod from the engine control lever and remove the lever, only then do you remove the air filter and the carburettor.
Reassembling the STIHL ms 180 saw is simple enough, the main thing is to stick to the following algorithm:
- Set the piston on the connecting rod, the arrow on the piston must face the direction of the STIHL 180 chain saw, and on the left hand side of the piston is the side of the crankshaft that is designed to install the flywheel;
- Carefully put the piston back in the cylinder, the place for the coil mount should be on the side where the flywheel is mounted on the crankshaft;
- Fit the bearings, oil seals and circlip on the shaft and lower the complete unit into the housings in the cylinder;
- Next, degrease the crankcase mounting location and the crankcase itself, then lubricate with sealant and install in place and tighten the 4 mounting screws;
STIHL 180 muffler is fastened with two nuts and you have to unscrew them by pulling the muffler towards you and take it off.
The spark plug is fastened with two screws and can be removed by unscrewing them.
To reassemble the STIHL 180 saw after you have assembled the engine, follow the reverse sequence of disassembly. It is important to treat the process carefully and do not forget to install the rods on the carburetor, and connect the ignition wire.
You can watch the STIHL 180 disassembly in the video below, it is made for inexperienced users, it shows the whole process in detail.
In this video we will show you how to, perform a piston group replacement on chain saw STIHL MS180, crankshaft oil seals.
VK Group:. Assembly and parts inspection on the STIHL MS 180 chain saw.
With the advent of a lightweight and handy STIHL chain saw MS 180 in the home it will completely replace two-handed, bow and even a hacksaw. Over time chains get dull, sprockets get worn and the oil system gets damaged. Some of these faults can be repaired yourself. Others need to be repaired in an authorized service center.
You can check if there is grease in the tank and if it is getting to the chain with a blank piece of paper. Point the guide bar at the piece of paper, it should leave a distinctive oil-strip.
Engine disassembly and stripping
Four screws on the bottom of the STIHL 180 chain saw hold the engine in place. To remove them, it is necessary to unscrew them, and then carefully remove the engine from the seat and the rubber spigot of the carburetor.
To disassemble the engine the 4 crankcase screws are loosened and the crankcase can be removed, then the entire crankshaft can be removed, complete with oil seals, bearings and piston rings.
Removal of bearings and oil seals usually does not require additional tools, but if the bearings were pressed on the shaft with force, a special puller is needed for disassembly.
To remove the piston from the connecting rod, you need to remove the retaining ring from the housing, with a thin screwdriver, then from the opposite side press out the piston pin, after which the piston is removed to the side.