How to change brushes on an Interskol angle grinder
Replacing brushes on an angle grinder: How to replace brushes on an angle grinder
Rules for replacing brushes in grinders from different manufacturers
A wise craftsman will not wait for a tool to show signs of breakage. Since the replacement of brushes is part of the maintenance of the angle grinder, he will regularly clean the manifold for contamination and inspect these parts.
It is worth remembering that manufacturers of angle grinder brushes always indicate the minimum size at which the product can still function. This figure may differ slightly depending on the manufacturer.
Most tool models offer two options for the location of the electric brushes. In the first case, they can be inside the handle. In the second option, the brushes are placed on the body. However, regardless of the location of these parts, in order to prevent it, it is worth disassembling the tool and lubricating all its assemblies.
Before starting to disassemble the angle grinder, you need to de-energize it.
Then you need to disconnect the tips, inspect the holder. After removing the brushes themselves, a thorough check is required for mechanical damage, which will indicate wear, requiring replacement of the part.
Here are examples of repair work on grinders from leading manufacturers:
Repair of Interskol models begins with removing the stator cover, after which it is necessary to unscrew the screws from the holder. The minimum residual length of brushes on the mechanisms of this company cannot be less than 5 mm.
On Bosch grinders, to remove the brushes, it is enough to open the handle of the stator housing. The device of this brand will not work with the length of the working brushes less than 8 mm.
When you buy an angle grinder, you will find in-demand spare parts in the starter kit. From them you can decide which brushes to choose.
REPLACING BRUSHES ON ANGLE GRINDER
Angle grinders (angle grinders) are one of the most common electrical tools, not only in the professional environment, but also in the household. Anyone who constantly works with a power tool is periodically faced with the problem of replacing failed brushes with new, suitable ones. Brushes are designed to supply electric current to the collector and they look like carbon parallelepipeds with an electrical contact. Any brush will wear out over time and, as a result, will not perform well its functions. This may make the power tool unstable, jerky, twitching. As a result, a burning smell will appear and the engine will stop altogether. To prevent this from happening, the brushes must always be changed on time. Remember that replacing them in a timely manner ensures not only the safety of the tool, but also the operator. In this article we will talk about how to correctly change the brushes in a tool such as an angle grinder, it is also an angle grinder.
❗Option 1. System of quick access to brushes. This option is the most simple. But it can be realized only in those grinders that are equipped with special quick-access brush compartments. They are usually found on the side of the instrument. To replace the brush, you just need to unscrew the compartment cover, pull out the old worn out brush, and replace it with a new one. Everything is very simple. And this procedure takes only a couple of minutes. The main thing is that the brushes fit the model of the angle grinder.
❗Option 2. Replacing the brushes directly in the body of the angle grinder. If the manufacturer has not equipped the tool with a quick-change system for brushes, the angle grinder will have to be disassembled to carry out this procedure. First you need to familiarize yourself with the instructions for the tool and its diagram, if they are included in the kit. Usually the body of an angle grinder consists of two parts, which are fastened together. After the body is disassembled, the old brush must be dismantled from the brush holder and a new one must be installed in its place. Make sure that the brush holder is firmly pressing the brush against the collector. Try to use only original brushes suitable for your specific model of the tool. However, if you do not have the opportunity to purchase one, and you could not find an analogue, the brush can be adjusted to the size you need. This is done quite simply. using a small file. When adjusting, take your time, comb the brush gently. The main thing is that it does not end up being smaller in size than the original.
Separately, it should be noted that replacing brushes on an angle grinder is a very simple procedure. However, when planning to carry out it, be sure to make sure that your angle grinder is no longer within the warranty period. Simply put, manufacturers are usually against any unauthorized introduction into their products. There are special service centers for such service. If you violate the warranty agreement by introducing yourself into a tool, then the manufacturer simply refuses free service or replacement of the tool. In short, the cases are different. After all, each manufacturer has its own rules, so before disassembling an angle grinder, we recommend that you carefully read the warranty card of the tool.
This is where a good question arises to the manufacturers of grinders, why not make a window of transparent plastic in the case in order to visually assess the state of the graphite contacts without disassembling the power tool (in some models of grinders, there is no need to unwind the case)?
Attention! When starting to replace brushes, as with any penetration into the body of the power tool, it is necessary to turn off the power supply by removing the plug from the socket.
In view of the structural diversity of angle grinders, the replacement of graphite contacts for each tool model may have its own characteristics.
And a little more about Lessmann brushes.
Popular brands: Praktika, Wortex, SIBRTECH and others
Radial soft tilt brush for angle grinder. Photo Practice
A large number of Russian and foreign enterprises are present on the market for the production and sale of cord brushes:
Makita Angle Grinder Repair. How to Replace the Carbon Brush Set
All manufacturers offer several types of brushes, giving customers a choice.
0 photo tips on how to choose a reliable item
An angle grinder (or an angle grinder, abbreviated as an angle grinder) is an indispensable tool for construction and renovation work. The result of the loads during the operation of the device is the need to replace parts. If the repair is negligible, the entire mechanism can be damaged.
Brushes are especially often in need of replacement. Therefore, it is worth considering what is the cause of the breakdown. And how to change brushes on an angle grinder.
Types of brushes for an angle grinder for metal
The cordbrush for an angle grinder resembles a similar attachment for a drill in appearance. The main difference is the wide hole in the center. It is designed to be mounted on an angle grinder. A nut is screwed on top to eliminate axial displacement during operation. Some cord brushes have their own clips.
The main characteristics of the brushes are:
- outer and inner diameter;
- the form;
- bristle material;
- type of pile in terms of hardness;
- the thickness of the bristle elements;
- maximum speed.
The electrical part of the angle grinder consists of:
The electric motor, in turn, is divided into two main parts. the stator and the rotor (or armature).
The task of the wizard is to sequentially check all these systems and find the reasons for the malfunctions. This will require a multimeter or tester.
The concept of the brush mechanism
Since contamination of the angle grinder is inevitable, you need to know more about the design of this part. In case of various malfunctions, the largest percentage is detected precisely in this node. In addition, even in a serviceable tool, unforced wear of the brushes is inevitable, although this happens very rarely.
Checking the start and control unit
Next, you should test the start button and the electronic control unit. It is possible that the contact group for turning on the device is oxidized or clogged. If the device is equipped with a soft start system, the disc should accelerate to operating speed gradually, without a sharp increase in speed. Using a multimeter, you need to make sure that the voltage is transmitted to the electrical circuit when the button is turned on.
If, during the operation of the angle grinder, it was noticed that the brushes in the place of contact with the collector excessively spark or the disc rotates unevenly, abruptly changing the number of revolutions per minute, then, most likely, the stator or armature windings are involved. Since the stator is less susceptible to overloads. it only creates a magnetic field, then most often attention should be paid to the rotor of the electric motor.
Angle grinder device
To understand the operation of the mechanism and why breakdowns are possible, you need to have an idea, at least schematically, about the main components of the tool.
Regardless of the model, manufacturer and technical characteristics, any angle grinder has the following parts:
- The moving part of the electric motor, it is called the armature, or, which will be technically correct, the rotor. As a rule, this element is combined with a working shaft that transmits torque.
- Collector contacts, which is a commutation board, through which voltage is removed from the current collectors.
- Brushes pressing against it provide electrical contact. When pressed lightly, they begin to spark strongly.
- Internal stationary winding. stator. The rotation of the armature in it is achieved due to electromagnetic induction.
- Mechanical reduction gear for speed regulation.
- Other components: housing, usually plastic, handles, start button, power cable.
As a working tool, the angle grinder is subject to high loads and extended operating times. In spite of the maximum tightness, dust, small fragments of processed materials, and scale periodically get inside the case. This negatively affects both the mechanical parts and the electrical part.
As a result, the conductive parts are contaminated and the collector lamellae gradually burn out due to its overheating. In turn, this leads to the destruction of the collector brushes, which will be signaled by increased sparking.
Varieties of devices for taking current
Underestimating the importance of the good condition of this part leads to serious consequences. Timely measures to prevent them will extend the life of the tool.
First you need to understand the types of pantographs:
- The manufacture of graphite brushes for an angle grinder is carried out by mixing a base substance with a binder. As a result of pressing carbonaceous materials under pressure and further firing, a product with additional strength and wear resistance is obtained. Then the graphitization process begins, which consists in heating to a temperature of 2500-2600 degrees in special furnaces. This is the most common type of such products, although it is quite expensive, but the service life partly compensates for it.
- For the production of carbon brushes for an angle grinder, the same graphite or carbon black is used, only additional hardening is excluded from the cycle. This significantly reduces both the cost of the product and its durability.
- The raw material for the manufacture of metal-graphite brushes, as the name suggests, includes metal in addition to the main element. This is usually copper powder, but the addition of tin, lead or silver is not excluded. the metal component can be up to 80 percent. Applications for such parts are found primarily in industrial generators and electric motors. For household needs, these products are too expensive.
Before purchasing a replacement set of brushes, you need to find out their type and dimensions in the technical data sheet of the tool.
Repair. how to remove and connect the button of the Interskol angle grinder
The following diagram will help to understand the device of the angle grinder button:
- The start button is located directly at position 41, which is built into the body (key 47).
- The start button is supplied with voltage from the power cable (pos. 53).
- To operate the start button (key 41), the angle grinder is equipped with a lever (key 46).
- Also, electric brushes (item 55) and special brush holders (item 44) are connected to it.
- The electrical part of the angle grinder, which includes the power button, includes the rotor (pos. 31) and the stator (pos. 42).
HOW TO CHANGE CARBON BRUSH OF ANGLE GRINDER (with subtitle/CC) / GWS 7-100 T / GWS 7-100T
From the diagram, it becomes clear that you can only get to the start button by removing the handle in the back of the case.
To repair the start button of the Interskol angle grinder, we need:
- Two screwdrivers. cross and flat;
- New power button.
- Use a Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the screws on both sides of the handle and remove it;
- Remove the platform for adjusting the speed by prying its latches with a flat screwdriver;
- Using a Phillips screwdriver, disconnect the contacts of the network wire from the power button, after removing the clamp;
- We disconnect from the start button four wires that go from the motor and capacitor to its contacts;
- Removing the broken button from the case.
To make sure that the contacts are burned out in it, it is enough to remove the collapsible cover.
DeWalt Grinder Repair. How to Replace the Brush
- We connect the removed motor and capacitor wiring back to the button contacts. they should be located in the same sequence as on the old button;
- Insert the button back into the case;
- We fix the platform of the speed regulator back;
- We fasten the contacts of the network wire and the clamp;
- We check the operation of the angle grinder at idle;
- We fasten the handle cover with screws.
- the angle grinder is assembled and the button is working properly.
Interskol Angle Grinder Button. Replacement Instructions
Having acquired a popular Interskol angle grinder on the domestic market, you can solve many household and even industrial tasks, such as cleaning welded seams, cutting metal, etc.
The main problem of failure of the start button of the Interskol angle grinder is a weak contact group.
Plastic moving parts cannot withstand loads and begin to melt, after which the contact ceases to close. In such cases, you need to replace the button.
Helpful guide on how to replace brushes and angle grinder cord
Often, the Interskol angle grinder stops working due to a breakdown of the cord or wear of the brushes, due to which they hardly reach the stator and the device does not work at full power.
You already know how to remove the cord from the previous instructions for removing the button of the angle grinder (from item 1 to item 3). It remains to figure out how to get to the brushes and replace them with new ones.
Having disassembled the angle grinder, it is recommended to blow it out of dust using a compressor.
Also check the armature manifold, which may be scratched from worn brushes. Scratches can be removed with zero sandpaper.