How To Change The Line On The Champion Petrol Trimmer
Automatic line winding to a spool
There is a type of reel in which the automatic mechanism winds on its own. from the user it is enough only to correctly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through a hole on the inner part of the body, its antennae without winding are passed through the hole on the outer body, the reel is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the fishing line inside is wound independently. In such a spool, it is impossible to make the winding wrong: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only rotate in one direction.
Coil with one working antenna
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the reel and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 2. 5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The fishing line is wound on the drum in the opposite direction of the spool rotation on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inside of the reel, an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- A small section of the line is left free to lead it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin into working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the reel.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
Coil with two working antennae
In this type of spools, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line, lying on the inside of the spool:
- One groove. both tendrils are wound together in one groove;
- Two grooves. each tendril is wound on an individual groove.
For both cases, a line with a length of 2-3 m is taken.In single-groove reels, the line is pulled into a through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, after which they are wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the rod side. inside the arrow usually indicates the correct direction of winding. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through them or held with the fingers of the free hand, they are threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is closed and attached to the trimmer bar.
The difference in line winding in two-groove spools is that initially a 2-5 m long line segment is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the fold loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound each along its own groove, fixing the antennae and assembling the coil is similar to the one discussed above with one groove.
The first execution of this procedure, perhaps, will seem long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The following will clearly show how to thread the line into the trimmer reel and wind it correctly. this operation is not difficult and with some patience it will certainly be crowned with success:
How to change the line on a gasoline trimmer. How to insert line into the trimmer spool? Instructions
The warranty production of the factory trimmer refueling will inevitably require line replacement. Having a very rough idea of how to thread the line into the trimmer reel on their own, beginners are reluctant to take up this business. However, with some skills, mastering this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the similar instruction presented below will make this process as easy as possible.
First of all, to wind the fishing line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of the product itself:
- Small electric trimmers with a working engine and bottom coil usually have side buttons on either side of the bobbin. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool together with the inner content for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does not jump out and get lost;
- Electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have spools with a special wing: in such designs, hold the spool in a stationary position with one hand, and rotate the locking reel on the rod with the wing nut counterclockwise with the other. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- Electric and gasoline trimmers with the ability to install the knife on a straight bar (for example, Stihl trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To keep the rod stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and, with slow rotation, such a mutual arrangement is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. After that, the coil body is scrolled clockwise (with a left-hand thread) and removed from the trimmer.
For the second and third cases, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In bobbins with a lamb, a lamb is unscrewed, in coils with latches, the latches are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
We wind the fishing line
Slowly completed disassembly of the spool-spool without losing its spare parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding the fishing line into the reel. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
How to change line on a trimmer?
The trimmer is considered to be the simplest and most convenient device for cutting grass and other types of low vegetation today. It should also be noted that it is this device that is in demand among consumers today. Let’s figure out today how to change the fishing line on it, and do it without outside help.
You now have a trimmer. this is great, because the device is inexpensive and at the same time very convenient and effective. Time passes, and if you used this unit all the time, then the line becomes unusable, which means it’s time to replace it. Taking it to specialized repair points is one of the options to change the fishing line, but why pay for it if you can carry out this process yourself.
The advantages of the trimmer are:
- Very easy to maintain
- Easy to operate, anyone can handle it
- At the price. affordable, which means that everyone can buy it
So, in order for the trimmer to work efficiently. It is necessary to choose the right cutting type attachments or special heads. If the cutting attachment can be sharpened, then in the case of a fishing line, nothing of the kind can be done, it will only need to be changed.
It is worth noting that the fishing line tucked into the reel is called the cord and the part in question can be installed on a trimmer that runs on electricity or on gasoline.
When you need to change the line on the trimmer, it is worth starting this process by disassembling the reel itself, you simply cannot do without this to achieve your goal. It turns out that first we shoot, and then we disassemble the coil to get to the line.
The mower head is not simple in design, it has several parts, namely, springs (this part may not be found in all models), a casing, a cover and a bobbin with fishing line.
If your unit is powered by electricity, before starting the disassembly process, it is imperative that you turn it off from the network. The mowing head can be mounted in the trimmer in several ways, which will determine how the dismantling process will be carried out. So, we proceed to remove the trimmer head (you need to understand that to carry out this process, you will need to completely disassemble it):
- We are looking for latches that are located on both sides of the lid, press on them and remove the lid, which is a protective barrier for the head, which is located under it.
- There is a spool under the cover, and it is this that needs to be removed. It should also be noted that some models are also equipped with a spring, which is located directly under the bobbin, and if there is one, it should also be pulled out. Because it is small and you can lose it.
- There is a screw under the bobbin, which can be unscrewed with either a Phillips or flathead screwdriver (also depends on the model and manufacturer). Some models have a bolt instead of a screw, so keep that in mind. The screw or bolt will need to be unscrewed.
- After the fasteners are removed, we carefully grasp the housing and remove it from the gearbox shaft.
The second option for disassembling the head is useful if it is screwed directly onto the gear shaft. In order to remove the part in question, you will need to fix the shaft. A metal rod or a thin screwdriver is useful here:
- We stick the twig into the hole and fix the shaft
- After that, it is necessary, holding the head body, to scroll it, moreover, it is necessary to do it only clockwise, but not against it. You need to understand that the thread in this case is left-handed, and that is why scrolling should be carried out in the indicated direction.
Now let’s start winding a new line. First you need to choose the thickness and, of course, the length of the cordon, usually these parameters are selected depending on the model. Basically, you need to purchase a new line similar to the old one in all respects. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with the parameters of the old one, then decide on your own with them and buy the one that, in your opinion, will be the best option.
You also need to understand that the thicker the fishing line you choose, the thicker the grass it can mow, but a universal option in this case is the diameter of the fishing line corresponding to the size of 2 mm.
The acquired new line must be wound around the head, which is why the first stage of our process was its analysis. When the head is open and you are holding a new cord in your hands, we proceed to winding it:
- First, we decide how much fishing line we need for winding. To do this, we wind the fishing line in such a way that it does not go beyond the reel itself.
- Now we fill the line into the spool. for this we fold the line twice, and one end should be shorter than the other, by about 10 cm.
- Since the bobbin itself consists of two parts, and the central side is a separator, you need to find a groove on it, into which the fishing line will be inserted. It is worth noting that in order to carry out this process, you will need to make an effort.
- The spool will indicate the direction of the line winding, so be careful. We wind it up carefully and take our time. We fix one end, which is shorter, into the groove. Located in the side of the coil, and in the other groove we fix the second end.
Now we put the head of the coil in place and fix it all in the reverse order. Your trimmer now has a new line to help you cut quickly and hassle-free.
Breaking a string
Regular line breaks are caused by:
- The presence of solid objects in the mowed grass: branches, stones, etc., contact with which breaks the string;
- By mowing the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, the line breaks even faster;
- Low-quality cord. it is necessary to replace it with a new reliable consumable;
- Wear out of the outlet holes in the mowing head, as a result of which the line breaks from friction against the sharp edges of the bushings. the part must be replaced with a new one.
Solving possible problems with the line
Most of the line problems are the same for different trimmers and are handled in a similar way.
Fishing line. varieties and the possibility of replacement with other material
The trimmer cord can be of different diameters (from 1.2 to 4 mm), and you need to choose it depending on what kind of vegetation you want to mow. the thicker the line, the coarser the grass it will cope with. Experienced users recommend using a 2 mm line, which is universal.
The shape of the line can be round (for juicy grass) or with sharp edges in the form of a square or an asterisk (for beveling dry grass). The second type is less durable and wears out faster than round cord.
One of the popular questions regarding the operation of trimmers is whether it is possible to replace the special cord for mowers with other materials, such as metal or steel cables and strings, wire, etc. You need to know that the installation of such items is not recommended, because with them the trimmer turns into a dangerous technique. During mowing, pieces of wire or metal will constantly break off and fly in different directions, risking injury to the worker. And if they accidentally touch their limbs during work, a serious injury is guaranteed.
For trimmer owners who are interested in whether fishing line can be used, we answer. this is allowed, but it will tear and wear out much faster, which means that it will require frequent replacement.
The string does not hold
If the spring weakens in a semi-automatic reel, the line does not hold and unwinds during operation. The cord is pulled out, cut off with a knife, as a result, the owner of the technique notices that the thread is quickly running out.
Line winding algorithm
The order of winding the line depends on the type of reel. with one or two tendrils, as well as with automatic cord charging.
Preparing to replace the line
Before replacing the line, you need to pull out and then disassemble the head. Usually it includes a casing, a spring (on some models), a bobbin with a line, a cover. It is necessary to disconnect the electric trimmer from the mains (or turn off the petrol trimmer), and then proceed to remove the coil. It can be fixed in two different ways: in the first case, it is necessary to completely disassemble the head, and in the second, just remove it from the gearbox shaft, on which it is attached.
- Find the latches on both sides, press and remove the cover to open the internal structure of the head;
- There is a bobbin under the cover, it must be carefully pulled out of the case (sometimes a spring is hidden under it, it should also be carefully removed to the side so as not to lose it);
- After removing the spool, a fixing bolt (or screw) becomes noticeable in the center of the body, which must be unscrewed in the opposite direction to the clockwise movement;
- After removing the fasteners, it is necessary to remove the coil from the gearbox shaft with shaking movements, holding by the housing.
The second method involves the following actions. The spool head is put on the gearbox shaft. To disconnect it, you need to lock this shaft. Usually in braids, for example, the “Champion” or “Stihl” brand, a hole is made for this, into which a nail, rod or screwdriver is inserted. After fixing the shaft in a stationary position, it is necessary, holding by the body, to start turning the head clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is usually left.
Now that the head has been removed and disassembled, it is necessary to determine how thick the cord should be. You can find out the correct diameter for your trimmer by looking at the owner’s manual or at the bobbin itself, usually this information is indicated on it. Another way is to insert the thread into the hole from which it is fed. If the shit goes without difficulty, it can be used for work.
What is needed to replace the cord
The discs become dull with regular use of the grass trimmer, but they can be sharpened and continued to operate. The line in the reel tends to end, so there is a need to refuel a new one, for which you need to determine the type of head and prepare the cord of the required thickness and length.
So, the mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a spool and fishing line are located. Such a detail is present both on trimmers and on gasoline scythes of any brand, be it Bosch, Makita, Stihl or another brand. There are three types of heads depending on the method of threading and feeding the line.
- The principle of operation of the heads of the automatic group is that they independently feed the line when the mower reduces the engine speed. Such designs are convenient when working on large areas, but have a drawback. high cord consumption.
- The heads of the semi-automatic group are easy to operate. automatic line feed is performed at maximum engine speed. To release the cord blockage, gently tap the ground with the tool, after which the unlocked thread is ejected from the spool. Cutting to the required length is made with a knife attached to the protective cover.
- Trimmers with manual cord feed must first be turned off, then pull out the line yourself.
Reels for electric and gasoline braids can be with one or two line tendrils. The former are used for trimming low grass growth, the latter for mowing tall grass and small shrubs.
The line is sticking
If the line sticks together during operation, the main reason is the installation of a low-quality cord. During operation, the coil heats up, and a poor-quality string melts and sticks together. The second reason is the collision of the cord with solid objects. In this case, it is sharply decelerated, the thread is pulled into the head and sticks.
So, replacing the trimmer line is not difficult if you know how to disassemble the reel and wind the cord. This process is similar for different brands of appliances. A detailed description can be found in the instruction manual of the tool or look at.
On a reel with two antennae
In spools of this type, you need to inspect the inside of the coil and determine the number of grooves for winding the cord provided in it.
For winding, you need to take a piece of fishing line from two to three meters long. For spools with one groove, thread the line through the hole, align the whiskers, align and wind on the spool in the opposite direction of its rotation during operation. If fixing grooves are provided, thread the ends of the cord through them, then pull them out into the outlet, then close the coil and put it back on.
For double-groove spools, the difference is that the string must be folded in half. Next, you need to charge the middle of the fold into the groove between the grooves, then wind each of the pieces of fishing line along its own path, fix the antennae and assemble the coil in the same way as a spool with one track.