How to change the oil in a lawn mower
How to change the oil in a lawn mower AL-KO, STIHL, Solo, Oleo-Mac, Honda, Makita, Stig, BriggsStratton, Solo buy AL-KO, Alpina, Husqvarna, Partner, Makkalah
Changing the mower oil in a timely manner is an important measure to ensure that the mower is working properly. Lubrication provides air cooling of the device, allows the engine to run at maximum speed.
Regardless of how heavily the machine is used, the mower’s oil should be changed at least once a season or every 50 hours. Old oil tends to oxidize and lose its properties.
Changing the oil in the lawn mower
- If there is something, pump out the oil with a manual pump. If not:
- Drain the old liquid first.
- Turn the tool towards the drain hole and let the used oil drain into the container provided.
- After that, fill in a new one through the neck.
- Remember that you need to fill the tank to a special mark in the crankcase, and not to the brim. 0.6 l. 1 can.
What kind of oil to fill in a gasoline lawn mower?
Before changing the oil in your lawnmower, refer to the instruction manual. It indicates the recommended grease consistency. It is ineffective to use a more viscous one: a special pump is needed to process it, which is not available in some models. Liquids of quality class “SF”, “SG”, “SH”, “SJ” and higher are suitable for almost all devices.
The type of oil to put in the mower also depends on the weather conditions. Please note that in hot weather (over 30 degrees), you need to change the oil more often. In the summertime, it is best to use SAE-30. The optimum temperature for this type of oil is from 5 to 30 degrees. In the off-season and with a sharp change in weather, we recommend choosing 10W-30. It should be noted that this liquid is suitable for almost all brands of equipment.
You can buy a lawn mower in Kiev at the Torgpost service center with pre-sale preparation and training on the operation of equipment with a 4T engine.
It is possible to service and repair the lawn mowers AL-KO, Oleo-Mac, Honda, BriggsStratton, STIHL, Stig, Alpina, Makita, Solo, VIKING, Bosch, Solo buy AL-KO, Gardena in the Torgpost service center in Kiev.
Tools and materials
You may need a set of tools:
- oil collecting container;
- clean, dry rags, napkins or towels;
- socket wrench with a corresponding socket;
- empty plastic containers (household with lids);
- machine oil;
- set of wrenches;
- pumping syringe;
How to change the oil in a lawn mower?
Lawn maintenance starts with a well-maintained lawn mower, which means that there are certain tasks that must be performed constantly to keep the machine in top working condition. One of the most important aspects of owning a lawn mower is knowing how to change the oil.
Removing old oil
Recovering old grease is one of the most important steps in the process. There are three ways to make sure you remove a lot of old oil.
- Use a siphon. Insert one end of the tube into the dipstick hole to measure the oil level until it reaches the bottom of the oil reservoir. Place the other end of the siphon in a structurally strong container that you will specifically use for this and future grease change. Finally, place blocks of wood or other sturdy material under the wheels of the mower on the opposite side of the pouring hole. In a tilted lawnmower, it is easier to remove almost all the oil.
- Remove the oil plug. Depending on the type of petrol mower, you can remove the oil plug to drain the old grease. Refer to your owner’s manual for the location of your drain plug and make sure you have the correct size socket wrench for the job. Install a wrench on the plug and remove it. When the oil is completely drained, the plug can be replaced.
- Use a special tool such as a syringe to pump out and fill the oil tank. This is very convenient when the opening of the tank is too narrow, and at the same time it is inconvenient or impossible to pour new oil from the bottle. The syringe can easily pass through the hole to pump out old waste oil.
- Slope method. If you do not have access to the oil tank, you can drain it by tilting the mower to one side. When tilting the mower, place the filler cap on the container you are using to collect used oil. Once properly positioned, remove the filler cap and allow the oil to drain completely. Using this method, you must know exactly what the fuel level is in the mower. It is also important to note here where the air filter is located to avoid contaminating it with drain oil.
Preparation and setup
The location of the mower is important when preparing this machine for an oil change. Due to the potential for leaks, it is best not to do this on grass or near flower beds, as oil droplets can adversely affect plant life. Choose a hard, flat surface such as a driveway or sidewalk, and be sure to use plastic wrap to keep oil droplets and stains on this protective film.
It is much easier to replace heated oil. Of course, you can change the oil in a cold engine, but the lubricant will be more viscous only at high temperatures.
How to change the oil in a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine
It is a good practice to run the mower for one or two minutes before changing the lubricant to warm up the engine a little. After that, you will have much less problems retrieving the old grease. It is also helpful to take precautions when operating the mower after turning it on, as there will be an increase in the likelihood of burns on the engine, for example. Working gloves are recommended to reduce the risk of injury.
Finally, you can disconnect the spark plug wire from the spark plug itself and move it away to avoid accidentally starting the engine. And you also need to make sure that the pump (pump) is turned off. The last step in your preparation should also include cleaning the area around the oil fill hole to prevent foreign particles or dirt from entering the oil reservoir.
Filling the tank
Now that the old oil has been removed, it’s time to fill the reservoir with fresh grease. Refer to your lawn mower user manual again to find out which type of oil is right for your machine and how much oil you need to fill.
Be aware that overfilling and insufficient filling of the oil reservoir can harm the mower’s performance.
Fill the oil tank. Let the oil sit for at least two minutes, then check the level with the dipstick to make sure it is filled correctly.
How to change the lawnmower’s engine oil
After the oil reservoir is filled to the proper level, you will need to reattach the spark plug wire. Do not start the mower immediately, let the machine stand for a few minutes before starting work.
Next, watch the video on how to change the oil in a 4-stroke lawnmower.