How to charge a trimmer line into a grass trimmer reel
How to wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer reel
The head is the main part of the grass trimmer. It is a base with a spool, on which the cord is wound. A total of 3 types of heads are distinguished:
- Manual. Allows you to extend the cord (trimmer line) manually after the engine has stopped completely.
- Semi-automatic. Using this head is simple and convenient. It operates on the following principle: having waited until the grass trimmer reaches the maximum revolutions, the user lightly knocks the head of the device on the ground, at the expense of which the blocking of the fishing line is removed. The cord is pulled out by centrifugal force, and the owner of the device has only to cut it with a knife.
- Automatic. line for the trimmer is fed after the engine speed is reduced. This head is especially useful in situations where long hours of work are required. The disadvantage of the device, in turn, is quick wear and tear of the cord.
Now, in order to figure out how to tuck the grass trimmer spool, you should pay attention to the choice of cord.
Choosing a fishing line
To easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer spool, it is worth deciding on what tasks will perform the garden tool. The thicker the thread tucked into the head, the more difficult the tasks it will be able to perform. It should be noted that often a universal thread is used, the width of which does not exceed 2 mm. You, on the other hand, can determine the size using the following methods:
- Read the information in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Test the suitability of the line yourself by trying to insert it into the hole of the reel;
- Examine the bobbin for information on the diameters allowed for use.
The selection of fishing line for tucking into the grass trimmer reel can be carried out by type of engine. For example, excessively thick thread can affect rotational resistance. Because of this, the load on the engine will increase, which will certainly affect the quality and duration of its further operation.
Avoiding negative consequences is not difficult. For this you need to consider that for electric motors with power up to 500 watts, a line for the trimmer with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm is ideal. If you can’t get it, you can use 1.6-mm cord. Filament with a diameter of 2 mm, in turn, is used for engines with a power of more than 1 kW. You should note that 2mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If the gasoline device has a straight shaft, you should use a thread of 2.5 or 3 mm. The thickest lines are installed exclusively on devices whose power is equal to or greater than 1.3 kW.
Last but not least, the type of line cross-section is an important factor. When choosing it, it is worth focusing on the tasks set before the garden tool. There are several popular cross-sectional options:
- Twisted cords have a small safety margin and are therefore only good for young grass;
- Notched. with a sharp edge suitable for overgrown weeds;
- round. most common. These lines work well with fresh grass, but are not suitable for shrubs and dead wood;
- rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-section types. because of their low strength are used for working on lawns.
The strongest and most versatile cord is a two-piece trimmer line with a round section and a core inside. This is the kind of thread suitable for most jobs. Keep in mind, however, that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire, and other third-party materials as a cord poses a danger to others.
Choice of line
For successful line threading in the trimmer head, it is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumable material. The thicker the cord you thread, the thicker and harder grass it can cut. Often a universal line for the trimmer, the diameter of which is 2 mm, is used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Look for information about line thickness in the instruction manual that comes with your trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the outlet hole. If it fits through it without difficulty, then the chosen diameter of the fishing line is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer Choose a cord according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the engine in this case will be greatly overheated and will soon fail. Helpful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick filament is suitable. If you don’t have one, you can use a 1.6 mm trimmer line. If more than 1 kW, choose a 2 mm cord.
- The gasoline grass trimmer has a shaft mower. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4 to 2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord as well. Some popular options:
- The most common threads are circular. They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with shrubs, deadwood.
- Twisted (spiral-shaped) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with a rectangular, star or square grass trimmer line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest cord is two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular cross-section.
Types of fishing line for grass trimmer Note that you can’t use wire, metal strings and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly with great speed.
How to wind the line for trimmer on the reel of grass trimmer Patriot?
Almost every beginner faces the problem of changing the fishing line when using a grass trimmer. Despite the fact that changing a line for a trimmer is very easy, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Replacing a fishing line with the proper skill will take no more than five minutes. you just need to practice it constantly. This article will look at replacing a fishing line using a Patriot trimmer as an example.
How to Wind a Trimmer Cord onto a Patriot Grass Trimmer Reel?
Almost every beginner encounters the problem of changing a line when using a grass trimmer. Despite the fact that changing the line for the trimmer is very simple, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing a line will take no more than five minutes with the right skill. just practice it all the time. This article will look at replacing the line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
Removing and disassembling the spool
The grass trimmer head consists of a casing, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the reel of an electric machine, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer from the mains. Disassembly method depends on how the mowing head is attached. The first option:
- To remove the cover on the inside of the head, press in on the latches on both sides.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the body. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the housing. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take hold of the part body and, rocking it in different directions, remove the reducer from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed on the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this purpose, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief instructions:
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Grasp the head body and start twisting it. This should be done in a clockwise direction, t. к. The thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the line on the spool
Remove and disassemble the spool
Mower trimmer head consists of a casing, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the reel of the electric unit, be sure to disconnect the grass trimmer from the mains. Disassembly method depends on how the mowing head is attached. First option:
- To remove the cover covering the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides of it.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the housing. Some trimmer spools have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully pulled out.
- Remove the bobbin and you’ll see a screw in the center of the housing. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the gear from the shaft.
The second method is to screw the grass trimmer head onto the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to lock the shaft. to do this, there is a hole in such devices through which a thin screwdriver or metal bar is inserted. Quick instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, and then lock the shaft.
- Take hold of the head body and start twisting it. This should be done in a clockwise direction, t. к. thread on the shaft left.
Winding the line on the spool
If there is a summer cottage or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then you need to use a lawn mower for easy removal of grass and weeds. In case you are thinking of choosing an electric lawn mower or a gasoline mower, then click here and you will find comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the trimmer line on the mower wears out and needs to be replaced. you can do it yourself. Choose this polyethylene thread, depending on the model of the mower. It is also worth looking at the other parts of the machine, here for example you can find information about Craftsman mower blades that are also subject to wear and tear and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The design of the spool into which the line for the trimmer is inserted is very simple. But it differs depending on whether the spool works with one or two strand tendrils. It is important to observe safety precautions when changing the line in the reel.
How to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool
To replace the fishing line in your trimmer, cut a piece of material of the right size by folding it in half. One of the halves should be 5-10 cm longer than the other.
To correctly wind the line for the trimmer on the reel, the middle of the line, folded in a loop, must be placed in the groove of the central divider. One half of the fishing line is tightly wound on top of the part, the other half on the bottom. The longer part is wound on the lower one. Wind it in the opposite direction to the direction of rotation of the head. On the cover or side of the head should be drawn an arrow. it shows the direction of rotation. The line should be wound in the opposite direction of the arrow. Work carefully, pressing firmly against the coil.
Insert the remaining ends, 10-15 cm long, in the slots on the top edge of the spool, this will fix them. With the ends secured, the spool will not unwind.
If you don’t have enough line of the right length, you can reel in two pieces of line instead of one. In this case, bend the end of the line with a hook and insert it into the slit in the center divider of the reel. Do the same with the second piece. Now wind first one piece and then the other on your halves of the spool against its direction of rotation.
To tuck the line into the grass trimmer, insert the ends into the holes in the mowing head and pull them out. Put the spool on the axle and push down so that it sits in place, then pull the ends of the cutting line again to pull them out to their full length.
The ends should extend almost as far as the protective cover. Cut off any excess. To do this, you can use the steel plate installed on the hood, which acts as a knife and automatically cuts the line for the trimmer of excessive length when unwinding the head.
The spool is covered with a protective cap. Put it in place and press down until you hear a click sound from the clamps in the grooves. Always make sure that the cover is in place on the grass trimmer and that the latches click into place, otherwise it could come off during operation. If so, the coil will be ejected by the spinning action.
Do not try to reel in as much material as possible, otherwise the reel may not fit and there will be problems with fitting and securing the cover. It is best if the bobbin is filled with wood so that it does not extend beyond the dimensions of the part.
In addition to mechanical mowers with two blades, there are also models with one. The difference is that the cutting thread comes out only from one side. The spool in these types of spools may not have a central baffle, instead of it, a slit in the lower flange is used to set the nonworking end of the thread, and the upper flange also has a slit for fixing the working end.
With a replaced fishing line you can start working. Do not mow thick weeds or bushy branches. this is not a job for a grass mower. To prevent injuries and line breakage make sure no stones or branches get under the brush.
For lawn mowing, one filling of a spool of reinforced line is sufficient for an area of 400-600 m2.
After the cutting filament has worn as a result of the work, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Pull the line out of the slot, pulling it out to the desired length, and reinsert it in the slot. The amount of material wound on the spool is enough for 5-10 cycles of work, depending on the model of the device. When you will install the cover in place, look carefully whether the grooves where the catches are inserted are not clogged, if they are clogged, carefully clean them.
When the line for the trimmer is worn out, you must again disassemble the mowing head, pull out the spool and rewind the working line for the trimmer.
Algorithm of the line winding
The order of winding depends on the type of spool. with one or two tendrils, as well as with automatic cord charging.
On a spool with one tendril
It is very easy to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool with a single bar. Depending on the brand of grass trimmer, two to five meters of filament is placed in such designs. The edge of the line in the spool must be tucked into a special hole or groove, then the string is wound to the side opposite to the rotation of the spool during operation.
Tip! To understand which way to wind the thread, you should look at the body of the bobbin. usually on it are made marks indicating the direction of movement of the spool at work.
After the line for the trimmer is wound, you need to leave a small piece (15-30 cm), put it through the bobbin outlet and reassemble the head.
A spool with two spool strings
In bobbins of this type, you need to inspect the inside of the spool and determine the number of grooves for winding the cord provided in it.
Important! If the bobbin has one groove, both tendrils have to be wound in a common groove, if two. in separate tracks.
For winding, it is necessary to take a piece of fishing line of two to three meters in length. For spools with one groove, you should tuck the line for the trimmer into the through hole, align the whiskers, align and wind it on the spool in the direction opposite to its rotation when working. If there are fixing grooves, you must put the ends of the cord in them, then pull them into the outlet hole, then close the spool and put it in its previous place.
For double-track bobbins, the difference is that a section of string should be folded in half. Next, you need to charge the middle of the bend in the groove between the grooves, and then wind on his track each of the pieces of line, fix the tendrils and reassemble the spool as well as the bobbin with a single track.
On a trimmer head with automatic threading
For heads with auto-tensioning, you just have to start and clamp the edges of the line, and further winding of the tool will perform itself when you turn on. There is no room for error here, because the spool itself recognizes how the tendrils should be positioned.
Just a side note! The advantages of trimmers with such a head include the convenience of laying the cord, and the disadvantages are expensive and difficult to repair.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and extract the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool, you need to remove it from there. The reel or lead is a device that is located inside the mowing head, reel or drum. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. First of all, let’s understand how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum with a fishing line from it.
This is interesting! The tool can be replaced directly on the tool, but if you do it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and study the detailed process of winding. Once the technology is mastered, it is possible to perform replacement work on the trimmer trimmer or gasoline brushcutter.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are as follows:
The process is not difficult, and as you understand it, there is no need to dismantle the entire head, if you know how to replace. Keep these nuances in mind when disassembling:
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer’s fishing line. The video below shows a detailed process of how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Block: 3/8 | Number of characters: 2136
How the line head works on the brushcutter, why do you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without a spring, t.е. On the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a spool, which is seated on the splines, preventing its free movement
- The coil is actuated by a spring, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- On the lead is wound fishing line for the trimmer, the length of which depends on the tool itself. This length is usually 1 to 4 meters
- During work, if the need to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the slits. The line for the trimmer winds up from the reel, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of the line, you should release the clamping, and continue to perform work on mowing the grass
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening as compared to metal discs. over, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel. After all, this is the point at which most owners of special tools causes difficulties.
Block: 4/8 | Number of characters: 1779
Grass trimmer line winding
A measured and careful removal of the bobbin from the grass trimmer spool allows you to proceed directly to winding the fishing line. The design of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of operations when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several varieties of reels, depending on the number of line tendrils and the method of threading:
Grass trimmer reel with one tendril
Many owners and experts note the ease of operating and threading a single moustache reel. The length of line to be reeled in varies from 2 to 5 meters, depending on the manufacturer. In the head, the end of the line is inserted into a special technological groove or hole, and winding is done in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most spools have marks on the outside of the body in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of movement of the grass trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave a loose end 15-30 cm to increase the centrifugal force, which is decisive when retrieving the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We put the left end through the working hole of the coil and make the assembly of the head.
Trimmer head with two tendrils
After removing the bobbin from the reel body, determine the number of lines to be wound (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one groove and with two grooves, but in case of careless tucking into a paired groove there can be problems with operation. Because of the possibility of intertwining of neighboring lines it may be impossible to retrieve new wires after the bobbin has worn out.
Regardless of the number of lines, you need a trimmer line of length 1 or more.5 to 3 meters. Winding has to be done in the opposite direction to the main shaft rotation, because winding during walking direction will not let the line get out of the bobbin. After the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel, the loose ends (15-30 cm) are slipped into the special holes. Then reassemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check its performance. No need to worry if the tips of the two line shafts are too different in size, because when you start the grass trimmer the blade on the protection will cut the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market feature a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and lock the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on in operating mode. Incorrect winding of the line for the trimmer in the grass trimmer with such a head is almost impossible, as the spool independently determines the position of the tendrils. The advantages of the automatic grass trimmer head include simple line threading, while the disadvantages are frequent damage to the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
Instruction with a step-by-step description of how to wind the grass trimmer spool and lawnmower
In order not to make a mistake with the choice of the right fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually presented on the tip, which will not allow you to make a mistake with the use of appropriate equipment.
If there is no information on the spool about what diameter trimmer line can be threaded, then you can check this information in the instruction manual. Determined with the thickness or diameter of the equipment, it remains to understand how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but they are not all applicable. Let’s consider both methods in detail, and depending on what models of brushcutters and trimmers you use, decide for yourself which option is suitable.
This is interesting! The principle of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the lead of the brushcutter, is appropriate not only for standalone gasoline units, but also for electric trimmers.
Block: 5/8 | characters: 933
Reeling in fishing line
Unhurriedly completed disassembly of the bobbin-spool without losing any of its parts allows you to move on to the main task. reeling in the line. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of actions.
Reel with one operating rod
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- Size of the bobbin and length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of line is inserted to the fixing technological opening in the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer. usually an arrow on the inside of the reel shows in which direction the line is wound.
- A small section of fishing line is left free to lead it out. it is fixed in a specialized slot on the inside of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin in working condition.
- The leftover end of the line is passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the rod of the trimmer device.
Reel with two operating tendrils
In this type of bobbins, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases you take a line for the trimmer with a length of 2-3 m. With single-strand reels the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are put together and aligned, and then reeled in the opposite direction of rotation of the reel on the boom. inside there is usually an arrow indicating the correct reeling direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are slipped into them or held by the fingers of your free hand, threaded through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and attached to the rod of the trimmer product.
The difference of winding the fishing line in dual-channel spools is that initially a piece of fishing line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both fishing line tendrils are wound each on its own groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the variant with one groove discussed above.
The first performance of this procedure may seem long and quite time-consuming, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool and properly wind it. this operation is not anything complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
Once the cutting line has worn out as a result of your work, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Pull the fishing line out of the slot by pulling it out to the desired length, and reinsert it in the slot. The amount of material wound on the spool is enough for 5-10 cycles, depending on the model. When putting the cover back on, look carefully to see if the grooves where the clips are inserted are clogged, if they are, clean them thoroughly.
When the line for the trimmer is worn out, you need to disassemble the mowing head again, take out the spool and rewind the working line for the trimmer.
Grass trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and cutting small bushes. This machine is notable for its ease of maintenance, uncomplicated operation during work, and thanks to its low weight even women can cope with it. It’s no secret that to perform quality grass mowing work, you need the right cutting tool. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line for the trimmer. it is an expendable tool, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the consumption of the fishing line is required to replace it. In this article, we will tell you in detail how to correctly replace the line for the trimmer.
How to remove the spool and replace the line for the trimmer
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or the trimmer line in the reel. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if you need to replace the tool, we recommend that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before tucking the line into the reel, turn off the brushcutter motor or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries caused by accidental start of the cutting tool rotation.
- Unscrew the head attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle and inserting a metal bar or screwdriver into them.