How To Check The Oil In The Trimmer
It happens that the lawn mower stalls after some time after starting. The reasons may be:
- incorrectly adjusted carburetor;
- contamination of the carburetor, filter or throttle valve;
- air in the carburetor system;
- malfunction in the ignition system;
- lack of gasoline.
How to properly cut grass with a garden trimmer
Working with a lawn mower is quite simple if you know the basic principles and get a little hand filled. Here are some tips to help you get the best results and keep your lawn tidy:
- If you need to cut tall grass or weeds with sturdy stems, mow in double strokes. Cut off the top of the stems first, moving the oblique from right to left, and then mow the rest, moving in the opposite direction.
- If it is necessary to process a large area, you need to divide the area into squares, starting the movement on the outer sides and gradually moving towards the center.
- Work on slopes is carried out according to the following algorithm: start at the bottom, mowing the grass with parallel lines and gradually going up. The grass will fall down onto the already mown area, without interfering with work.
- To mow plants around an obstacle, the protection of the benzotrimmer must be considered. Move around the obstacle by gently guiding the tool around it.
- Always use good quality trimmers on your petrol trimmer. When working with fishing line or low-quality knives, the grass may not be cut off, but uprooted. the lawn will quickly become unusable.
Instructions and rules for working with a lawn mower
A garden trimmer is a very useful piece of equipment for anyone who has their own plot. Garden trimmers are also called lawn cutters. They are gasoline and electric. Caring for electric grass trimmers is very simple, but gasoline owners need to know a lot of nuances. In this article, we will tell you in detail how to start the trimmer, run it in, and also how to properly mow the grass with it.
When you hit the gas
- If the petrol trimmer stalls when you press the gas, you need to check the air damper. If installed in the closed position, it must be installed in the open position.
- Another option is a clogged filter.
- Also, the gasket between the cylinder and the carburetor may be damaged.
- A cracked fuel hose will cause air leaks.
Why the lawn mower won’t start?
If the petrol trimmer fails to start or it stalls immediately, you need to check the ignition by removing the spark plug. A dry candle means that the problem lies in the fuel supply system. A wet plug indicates a malfunction of the ignition system. If carbon is visible on the candle, you need to clean it or replace it.
Clogged air filter can be another cause. If it is contaminated with oil, it must be cleaned, washed and dried.
Starting the trimmer for the first time
When the trimmer is filled with fuel, you can start the tool. To do this, follow these steps:
- Place the instrument on a flat surface.
- Close the choke with the appropriate lever.
- Pump some fuel into the carburetor using a primer.
- Turn on the ignition switch.
- Pull on the starter rope until you feel resistance.
- Then take a few strong jerks until the mower starts.
- When the trimmer starts, open the choke.
If the lawn mower fails to start, or it stalls right away, try opening the choke on the carburetor a little.
Why does the lawn mower smoke??
Pay attention to the color of the smoke:
- white or grayish color. engine overload or lack of lubrication;
- blue. too much oil;
- black. poor fuel quality.
Why is the lawn mower heated?
- One of the hottest parts is the gearbox. If there is not enough lubrication in the mechanism, the gears will experience friction and heat up. This can also happen with new gearboxes, the gears in which did not have time to get used. The operating temperature of the reducer can reach 60 ° C.
- Another reason for overheating lawn mowers is when they are used at full load. The instrument must rest regularly.
- There may be not enough oil in the fuel mixture. this will lead to oil starvation, increased friction and a lot of heat generation during operation.
- Dirty cooling air holes.
How to distinguish real motor oil from counterfeit
Buying cheap butter is the very case when saving on matches can turn out to be much more expensive. Having saved several hundred, a maximum of a thousand or two rubles in oil, it is easy to “get” for an expensive engine repair, which will cost tens of thousands of rubles. Is it worth the risk? Definitely not. Another thing is when you buy fake oil not consciously, but by accident.
So, what to look for when choosing a motor oil? Given the variety of manufacturers that are on the market, it is impossible to tell in detail about the features of each product, so we will talk about the universal features that distinguish an original engine oil from a fake.
Self-respecting oil manufacturers pay great attention to the packaging of their product. The canisters of each brand differ in their characteristic shape, high-quality plastic and smooth surface. If welds are visible, there is flaking, there is a smell of plastic. you have a fake in your hands.
Stickers on a canister of real oil, firstly, are always glued exactly and conscientiously. Secondly, they are distinguished by high-quality printing. It is worth refusing to buy oil if the label is placed unevenly, it can be peeled off, and the image is of poor quality. And if the inscriptions are made with errors, then this is definitely counterfeit. By the way, all motor oils officially sold in Russia must have labels in Russian. their absence is the first sign of a fake.
The original engine oil has a lid on the canister, which cannot be opened discreetly. there is either a fixing ring, or a sticker, or a printed image, or a combination of several protective elements at once. The lids are also engraved with the manufacturers’ logos and holograms that shimmer in the light. Plus, the plastic itself, from which the lid is made, must be of high quality. At the slightest sign of a fake, it is better to refuse a purchase.
Additional security features
In this item, you can include a membrane under the lid, QR codes on the label and digital combinations that allow you to check the oil through online services on the manufacturer’s official website, marking indicating the date of stamping the canister and filling the oil (the canister, which is logical, should be done earlier than its content) and other factors that differ from brand to brand.
Point of sale
Engine oil cost
In any case, if you are going to purchase motor oil of well-known brands. Motul, Castrol, Shell, Liqui Moly, Mobil 1, ZIC, Elf, Total, Lukoil and others. do not be lazy to go to the official website of the manufacturer you need. Study the list of authorized sellers in your city, the characteristic features of the original products and only then, armed with this knowledge, go shopping.
Only emergency and most important information on our Telegram channel
Box without probe
The reasons for the absence of a probe are different. For example, on BMW models, the oil level is displayed on the instrument panel. The 722.6 Mercedes box is equipped with a fluid control system, but the driver can check the level himself by buying a branded ruler and breaking the seal on the dipstick cap.
Knowing how to correctly check the oil level in automatic transmissions, such as 01M, 01P, ZF 5HP19, DP0, DP8, JR710, etc., you can monitor the condition of the car and increase its resource.
You will need a tool to remove the inspection plug: a socket head ratchet, hex, sprocket or wrench. Also, to drain the liquid, you need a volumetric flask and a funnel with a filling hose. Some boxes, for example DP0 / AL4, DP8, are pre-filled with 0.5 liters of ATF.
The automatic transmission plug is located on the bottom, so the car is driven onto a lift or into a pit. Further, the algorithm is as follows:
- Start the engine, switch the selector to “P”. This is an important condition, since all oil will drain out when the engine is stopped.
- Warm up the box to the desired temperature. For example, 01M transmission is adjusted to 30 ℃; ZF6HP. up to 40 ℃; JR710, GM6L50. up to 45 ℃; DP0 / AL4, DP8, A6MF1. up to 60 ℃. Be sure to control the temperature through the app.
- Raise the car on a lift.
- Remove the crankcase cover.
- Place a flask for drainage and unscrew the cap. ATF should drip from the hole. If this did not happen, there may be two reasons:
- not enough fluid;
- low oil temperature.
- If ATF is still not enough, you need to close the plug, turn off the engine. Add liquid and walk through the verification algorithm again.
- Install a new washer when tightening the plug completely. Switch off the engine. Put the oil back in.
It is necessary to check the oil level in the automatic transmission without a dipstick after a complete replacement of 60. 80,000 km after 20. 30,000 km.
The automatic transmission dipstick is located under the hood near the engine, you can see it by the handle in red, yellow or light green. There are models with a gray head locked with a latch. To open it, you need to press on the metal tab or pull it towards you with a flat screwdriver.
There are three ways to check the oil in the automatic box:
The third option is the most reliable. To warm up the ATF to operating temperature, in the summer the car is driven 15 km at 1500 rpm. In winter, you need to start driving at a speed of 40 km / h after preheating the automatic transmission.
Further, the algorithm is as follows:
- Stop the car on a flat area.
- Leave the engine to idle.
- Install handbrake.
- The automatic transmission selector should be set to “P”.
- Open the hood.
- Remove the dipstick and wipe dry with a napkin.
- Insert the dipstick into the tube as far as it will go, wait 5 s, pull out and look at the mark.
The verification algorithm may vary depending on the manufacturer of the automatic transmission. So, in front-wheel drive boxes Hyundai. Mitsubishi A4CF1, the selector is set to “N”. For Honda and Acura, you need to check after turning off the engine, after waiting 5 minutes.
The need to check the lubricant level in the automatic transmission
Structurally, the automatic device consists of a torque converter (GT) and a planetary gear with clutches, which are in the ATF liquid medium. The oil pump filters and creates the required fluid pressure in the assembly. Controls the gearshift of the valve body with solenoids according to signals from the electronic “brains”. the control unit (ECU).
GT receives and transmits torque from the engine to the gearshift mechanism. The working medium of the clutch is ATF: the impeller of the GT takes the speed of the engine; under the action of centrifugal force, the blades throw ATF onto the second, turbine, wheel. The turbine starts to rotate and transfers torque through the input shaft to the transmission.
In addition to the hydraulic effect of ATF:
- creates pressure to compress the clutches, which shift gears in the planetary gearbox;
- lubricates bearings, gears and other “iron”;
- removes heat from hot areas;
- cleans elements from metal shavings, friction dust, etc.;
- protects the structure from corrosion.
Transmission fluid consists of a mineral or synthetic base and chemical additives. For each type of automatic transmission, the manufacturer selects ATF, which is suitable for the permissible load, type of viscosity and operating properties. It is necessary to check the oil in the automatic transmission when there are jolts, jerks, uncharacteristic noises. And with an aggressive driving style, after the summer heat, pushing in traffic jams, frequent towing of trailers. every season.
Lack or overflow of fluid changes its balanced composition and affects functionality. When checking the oil level in the box, the machine evaluates the degree of contamination, the presence of foaming and the smell of burning.
Consequences of a low liquid level in the automatic box
The ATF mark below the “Hot” serif indicates:
- insufficient amount of fluid;
- node leaks.
Loose connections, damaged hoses, dirty and worn oil seals, deformed parts, etc. can be found when inspecting the bottom. In case of leakage and lack of fluid, the oil pump begins to suck in air.
A mixture is formed that is different in its characteristics from ATF, which leads to:
- a drop in the efficiency of the torque converter, which will force it to increase the load;
- reducing the pressure on the clutches, as a result of which the gears will jerk when shifting, and the discs will be erased due to slipping;
- rapid contamination of the fluid, as a result, this dirt will clog the pump filters, valve body channels, solenoids, hoses;
- deterioration of lubricant quality and overheating of the system.
To avoid premature wear of the automatic transmission, you need to add oil to the norm. Do not mix different liquids to avoid unpredictable chemical reactions.
You can only top up the ATF that is already in the system or recommended by the manufacturer.
Optimum oil level in automatic transmission recommendations
The transmission oil level in the box is checked by the machine:
- by control marks “Cold” and “Hot” or other symbols on the probe;
- through the tube in the bottom.
The amount of liquid is measured at the temperature specified by the manufacturer. The selector is set to “Parking” or “Neutral” mode. In order to estimate the amount of oil on the dipstick, it is usually heated to 80. 90 ℃ and is guided by the “Hot” mark.
What level of automatic transmission oil should be on the dipstick:
- between serifs “Hot”;
- in the area marked with a grid;
- between labels indicating limit values.
In an automatic transmission with a plug, the electrician is especially sensitive to the amount and purity of the fluid, so manufacturers have limited drivers’ access to self-service. So, if the ATF overheats, the ECU blocks the operation of the GT and slows down the gearshift. Such machines are called “unattended”, but this does not mean that the driver must wait until the system fails.
The automatic transmission oil level is monitored by unscrewing the plug: if oil drips, the indicator is correct.
Consequences of changing the oil level
Automatic transmission models differ in strengths and weaknesses, therefore, changing the ATF level affects the node in different ways. Illustrative examples from the experience of repair services:
- In the “bestseller” among reliable automatic transmissions. ZF5HP19. due to lack of ATF, its premature aging and contamination, oil seals leak, clutches wear out, and the torque converter overheats. The repair is expensive. just replacing consumables in the GT will cost 7,000 rubles.
- The reliability of TF-60SN / 09G strongly depends on the oil level: with a lack of lubrication, the clutches burn out quickly, an adhesive composition enters the stream, which clogs the filter mesh, valve body channels, solenoids, radiator honeycombs.
- The TF-80SC / AF40 GT contaminates the fluid with dust from the friction lining. With a lack of ATF, this suspension clogs the valve body, leads to leaks and a drop in pressure in the gear chain.
The instructions for the car say how to determine the oil level in the automatic transmission, but what consequences the abnormal indicator entails will have to be studied on your own.
Increased oil level in automatic transmission how dangerous it is
The reason for an overestimated ATF value may be an overflow after replacement or a cold fluid measurement. Manufacturers write in manuals how to check the automatic transmission oil level, indicate the temperature, and this requirement cannot be ignored, otherwise the measurement will be incorrect.
Overfilling leads to foaming of the oil and an increase in pressure. the excess will splash out, and the pressure in the system will drop. In addition, foaming changes the density and performance of the fluid. As a result, the oil will become dirty faster, the oil seals will begin to leak, and backlash will appear in the gears of the transmission. The node will push, give errors and quickly fail.
Assessment of the condition of the automatic transmission by the appearance of the transmission fluid
When checking the automatic transmission oil level, they look at its color, transparency, odor and foaming. You can check the cleanliness of ATF by using the “rag test” by dropping it from the dipstick onto a white paper towel. Good oil will be absorbed quickly. Residues of solid particles, shavings, crumbs indicate contamination of the liquid.
The black and opaque oil needs to be changed urgently. A burnt smell along with contamination indicates overheating of the box. a full bulkhead diagnostics will be required.
How to check the oil level in the variator
To check the oil in the variator, a dipstick is used, which is most often found on the gearbox. It is a metal rod with marks in the form of circular slots. Also, instead of marks, letter designations may appear. With their help, you can determine the lowest and highest oil level and understand whether it corresponds to the permissible for a given box.
To make it possible to check the working fluid, the probes on almost all cars, for example, Mitsubishi or Honda, come with the words “Hot” and “Cold”. They are usually located near circular slots. If you decide to check the oil in the variator on a hot engine, the lubricant level will be at the “Hot” mark. You are going to check the working fluid on a cold internal combustion engine, then the lubricant will reach the inscription “Cold”.
How to properly check the oil in the variator? Depending on the make and model of the car, this procedure will have some differences, we understand the nuances further.
Marks on the top are needed in order to check the lubricant level on a warm engine, below. on a cooled internal combustion engine.
But if the dipstick is missing, how then to check the oil in the variator? To do this, you will have to unscrew the liquid level button. Note! Do not confuse it with the 2nd plug used to fill in the grease. In order to interpret the data obtained with 100% accuracy, you should use a special plate.
So, if your car does not have a dipstick, follow the steps below to check the oil in the variator. Please note that in this way a check is performed on any car model without a probe:
- We park the car on flat asphalt so that there is no slope, then we start the engine.
- Now the variator should go through all modes of operation. In this case, in each mode (in the “R”, “N” and “D” positions), hold the selector for 5 seconds. Thanks to this, the lubricant will pass through all channels of the gearbox. Then we put the selector in the “N” position, press the brake pedal.
- Then it is necessary for the fan to operate at least 2 times. As soon as the temperature of the gearbox reaches operating temperature, you can check the oil in the variator. over, its temperature should be 35-45 °
- We place the container into which you will drain the grease under the machine. We unscrew the gearbox plug, while the engine must be warmed up. We are waiting for the grease to drain completely.
- As soon as you notice that the grease no longer flows, but drips, it means that the liquid has completely drained.
- Installing the plug back. We measure the volume of the drained working fluid, normally it will be 3.2-4 liters. If you have drained more than 4.5 liters, this indicates that the volume of oil was more than the norm.
It will be easier to check the oil in the variator with a dipstick. Diagnostics is performed on a hot engine. In this case, the temperature of the checkpoint will be 74 °.
- Open the hood, find the dipstick.
- We take it out and wipe it with a dry clean cloth.
- We put the probe back, wait 2-3 seconds and take it out again. To check the lubrication level, we look to what level the tip of the dipstick has stained.
Examine the tip of the probe carefully, you will see risks on it. The marks will be on the raised area in the form of a grid. Thanks to them, you can check the lubrication level in the variator.
The border between the clean area and the oily area should ideally be placed between the “A” and “B” marks.
When the grease is dark, you can easily check the oil level in the variator: just see to what mark the dipstick is colored. If the oil is transparent, you will have to act differently. We take a rag and pass it along the dipstick, pay attention to the moment when an oil stain appears on the fabric. This will be the desired level.
How to check the quality of the oil in the variator
The working fluid in the variator should not have an unpleasant burning smell; moreover, it should be clean. Oil on such a checkpoint almost never smells like burning. However, if you find that the grease is dirty, chances are there is something wrong with the gearbox. Why can the working fluid get dirty? There are several reasons:
- The gears are worn out. Even if you take care of the condition of your car and fill in new grease every 15,000 km, the gears will sooner or later become unusable. over, this problem most often happens on new cars, on which the gears have not been lapped to each other. After grinding them in, a so-called stuffed mirror is formed. Of course, the wear of the parts will still be, but not as strong as in the first 10,000 km. Due to wear, the chips settle at the bottom of the box; magnets located in the transmission are used to retain it. Due to these microparticles, the lubricant becomes dark in color, becomes dirty.
- The gearbox parts have become unusable. For example, friction linings fail in the machine, and in the variator there is a strong wear of the belt and mirrors of the driving discs. One way or another, this process leads to the formation of dirt that settles in the lubricant and filter element.
- The gearbox is dirty. Dirt penetrates a little (through a dipstick, plug or sopun), but this is enough for the grease to turn black.
- High temperature operating mode. The operation of the machine and the variator is inextricably linked with high temperatures. The automatic transmission warms up to 150 °, for example, during hot seasons when the car is in a traffic jam. Under such operating conditions, the oil becomes dark, it heats up, then cools down, over time, its properties change. Modern gear oils can withstand high temperatures, but after 60,000 kilometers, 50% of their properties are lost. Therefore, it may be necessary not only to check the oil in the variator, but also to replace it.
- The cooling radiator is out of order. Due to the fact that the gearbox operates at high temperatures, cooling radiators are used on automatic transmissions, as well as variators. This is the only way to maintain the optimal temperature regime: 80–90 °. But when the radiator gets clogged, the lubricant overheats. It does not enter the cooling cavity and begins to curl up at high temperatures. Of course, if the radiator breaks down, there will be symptoms that the variator is faulty: box jerks, slippage, “kicks”.
For the above reasons, the oil in the variator is most often contaminated and must be checked. What will happen if you do not replace the working fluid in the machine and variator? The box will fail. Besides:
- the filter elements will become dirty and will not allow lubricant to pass through. Therefore, the working fluid will turn black, it simply will not be cleaned;
- the valve body becomes clogged, it is he who supplies and distributes the pressure of the working fluid in the variator, you can forget about the normal functioning of the box;
- the oil pump will fail, as a result, the clutches will burn on the automatic transmission, and the belt will turn on the variator, and there will be scuffs on the shaft mirrors. As a result, the box will completely fail, it will be quite difficult to repair it;
- the radiator becomes clogged, the grease inside will start to burn and become thick.
Summing up, it is worth noting that if you do not check and change the oil in the variator, the gearbox will quickly fail. If you do not fill in a new working fluid, the gearbox will have to be repaired after 90,000-100,000 km.
Once you are done checking the fluid level, the engine can be shut off and the selector switch to “P”.
There is another way that you can check the oil in the variator. In this case, the motor must be cooled down. Take out the dipstick and look at the lubricant level, ideally it should be below the middle mark, but above the bottom. But this method is rarely used. The fact is that the measurements in this case will be inaccurate.
What motorists say about checking the oil in the variator
- Poured grease, what to do?
“In order not to waste time pumping out the working fluid with a syringe, it is better to pour the grease into a jar. And if you drain the excess, using a syringe, you can return the oil back to the box. Then I needed to drain a little more, so I put a dropper on the syringe, but it did not reach the crankcase in any way. Therefore, I fixed the tube with adhesive tape on the probe. In the end, everything turned out easily “.
How To Oil Your Hair Clippers For Peak Performance & Long Life
It is necessary to check the oil in the variator correctly.
“I spent a large sum on the purchase of the original probe, but I don’t regret it. Because then you will have to pay even more to repair the variator. Such a dipstick allows you to check the lubricant level with 100% accuracy, and I find out its temperature using an OBDII scanner “.
Danger of overflow of oil in the variator
It often happens that the car owner was going to check the oil level in the variator and found out that it was filled too much. Why do these situations happen? This is explained by the fact that after the grease is drained, some of it remains in the box. And when a motorist pours in such a volume of working fluid, which is indicated in the operating instructions for the car, it turns out that its level becomes higher than normal. Therefore, when changing the gear oil, check the lubricant quantity with a dipstick. Or fill in as much working fluid as you have drained before.
Overfilling with transmission oil leads to the following malfunctions:
- slipping clutches;
- increased compression in the gearbox;
- the variator begins to twitch during gearshift.
If you feel the gearbox twitching, you should park and stop the engine. Wait for the grease to cool before checking it. Otherwise, there is a risk of breakage. It can be difficult for a beginner to understand that there is too much working fluid in the gearbox, usually this is found out during maintenance in a car service. In order to remove excess grease, there is a technical hole. If the volume of oil in the variator is not increased much, damage will not occur. However, when the overflow is large, the following may happen:
- as soon as the grease warms up, its excess will squeeze out the oil seals, which will become unusable;
- foam forms in the working fluid; due to rapid contamination, the variator will malfunction;
- the car will consume more fuel;
- the grease will lose its technical properties;
- the working fluid will be squeezed out through the dipstick or other holes.
What to do in this situation? We’ll have to drive onto the overpass, then remove the oil filter. The grease should drain, after which you can install the filter element back and check the oil in the variator using a dipstick. Found out that the hydraulic fluid level is now insufficient? Just add the missing oil, making sure that the level does not exceed the upper mark on the dipstick.
How else can you remove excess oil from the variator? This can be done through the dipstick hole. Take the IV tube and attach it to the large syringe. Lower the end of the tube into the hole. Pump out excess grease so that the hydraulic fluid level does not exceed the maximum mark.
How to check the oil in the variator: an overview of methods and a guide for replacing
Issues covered in the material:
- How to check the oil level in the variator
- How to check the quality of the oil in the variator
- Danger of overflowing oil in the variator
Cars with continuously variable transmission have noticeably pushed the models with other gearboxes, so more and more car owners need to know how to check the oil in the variator. Since the conditions in Russia (and most of the CIS countries) are not the most favorable for the operation of machines, you should not blindly trust the manufacturer’s message: “oil is filled for the entire service life.”.
In addition to the influence of difficult climatic conditions, the mechanisms experience additional loads associated with the fact that all drivers drive in different ways: someone drives smoothly and at city speeds, while someone does not hesitate to press down on the pedal or go off-road. In such conditions, the most careful attention should be paid to the quantity and quality of oil in the variator. We will talk about what the oil level and its quality should be in our article.
“Why is it so difficult to fill in the same amount of working fluid as it was drained? In order not to be mistaken, you need to check the lubricant level correctly. On my car it was 3.4 cm. Remove the old grease, then add a new one. Then you need to check the volume of oil with a dipstick, on my car it was 3.4 cm when it was cold or 4 cm on a hot engine. It’s simple “.
The engine dipstick can be used to check the oil in the variator.
“With a friend at the car service, we decided to check if the engine dipstick would fit to check the lubrication in the variator. It turns out that it even rested against the bottom of the box, so it can be used without any problems. Recently I was at a dealership, a specialist measured the lubricant level with a special dipstick, it was 3.5 cm. I decided to check it again with a dipstick from the engine, the result was exactly the same. “.
For what reasons, the level of the working fluid may become lower?
“Any technical fluids“ wear out ”. As a result, if you check the lubricant level, the volume will be less than intended. over, you will not find any leaks or combustion of the lubricant. Think about the power steering, gearbox, axle. In them, the amount of lubricant during a planned replacement will be less than you filled in. And the seals will be clean, no leaks. Where does the working fluid go? The oil is affected by drops, it overheats. After all, a variator is a hydromechanical unit “.
How to check the oil in the variator
The variator is the most problematic mechanism in a vehicle. That is why car owners must constantly monitor its condition and, if necessary, carry out repairs. Many are unhappy with the fact that the CVT has a short lifespan. However, there are ways to help extend this interval. It is very important to check the oil level in the transmission during the operation of the vehicle. This must be done with a dipstick located at the top of the gearbox. In the normal state, it is between the maximum and minimum values.
Not every motorist knows how to properly check the oil level in the gearbox. In order for the result to be as accurate as possible, you need to warm up the variator to the temperature at which the oil begins to work in full mode. 60-80 degrees. The check should be carried out on a level surface after driving. In winter, before the procedure, you must drive at least 30 kilometers. If the variator has already warmed up enough, there may be an error during measurement. do not neglect this fact.
After the gearbox has warmed up, you need to select a flat section of the road and stop the vehicle on it. The engine does not need to be turned off at this time. After that, depress the brake pedal and stay in each position of the selector for about 5-10 seconds. After that, the parking mode is activated and the hood opens. Before removing the dipstick, you need to wipe it off of dirt. Sand particles must not enter the system. Also, do not measure in rain or snow. In the next step, press the latch, pull out the dipstick and wipe it. After cleaning, it is placed in its original position until it stops. You need to hold it for 3 seconds, and then remove it. The result should be between the minimum and maximum level.
High level. If the level is below normal, you need to add oil to the system. But what if the result was greater? You need to take a large syringe and a rubber tube. With their help, the required volume should be pumped out and the procedures will be completed. Note that there should be no burning smell during the inspection. Otherwise, you need to replace the technical fluid with a new one.
Now let’s get back to the case when there is too little oil in the system. Of course, you can simply fill in the liquid and operate the vehicle further. However, such a phenomenon may indicate the presence of leaks. A complete diagnosis should be carried out to exclude this possibility. Do not ignore this defect, as safety while driving depends on it.
The bottom line. The variator in a car deserves special attention. The car owner should periodically check the oil level in the transmission and, if necessary, carry out repairs.
The consequences of operating a car with an incorrect oil level in the automatic transmission
When operating a car with an insufficient oil level in the automatic transmission, the following symptoms appear:
- The vehicle is less controlled;
- uncharacteristic sounds are heard from the transmission;
- auto reacts worse to gear shifting.
If you notice at least one of the symptoms, it is worth topping up or completely changing the oil.
Problems with the machine with a lack of lubrication in the automatic box are caused by the pump drawing in air. Mounted parts are less lubricated and wear out over time. In addition, the box heats up more.
The procedure for checking the oil level in the automatic transmission
When the lubricant is filled in the right amount, the transmission units work correctly, the machine is better controlled. An effective way to avoid automatic transmission breakdown. timely control of the lubricant level. How to do this is most accurately described by the manufacturer of each car brand. However, in a number of cases, it is not possible to use the manual, therefore, the control methods are described in stages below.
How to check oil in automatic transmission
Many drivers find it more convenient to drive an automatic transmission. But it is technically more difficult and refers to expensive components in the car. To keep the transmission in good condition, keep the oil at the manufacturer’s recommended level. Therefore, the driver needs to know how to check the oil level in the automatic transmission and when it is time to refill it.
Checking the oil level in the automatic transmission
Checking the oil level in the automatic transmission. Features of the process for different car models
We examined the averaged methods and nuances of measuring transmission fluid. But depending on the specific model, small nuances of the procedure appear.
- Audi, Volkswagen, BMW. Most of them are not modified with styli. Instead, a sight glass is provided to check the oil level. If there is a probe, the selector is placed not on the “parking”, but on the “neutral”.
- Dodge, Honda, Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Jeep, Mazda. in all these vehicles, check the lubrication with the lever in position N, not P.
The consequences of driving a car with a high oil level in the automatic transmission
Excess fluid is only possible on machines equipped with a check probe. There is no automatic surplus reset. Excess liquid foams, oxidizes and evaporates with strong heating. As a result, system valves and other elements fail.
With prolonged driving in this mode, the molecular structure of the oil changes, which affects its quality. As a result, the box parts are poorly lubricated and wear out faster. If you miss the moment, it will most likely require major repairs.
Preparing to check the oil level in the automatic transmission
- The vehicle is installed on a flat area;
- they find a special test dipstick under the hood, most often in cars with automatic transmissions it is painted red so as not to be confused with the engine oil dipstick, which is painted yellow;
- the area next to the probe is thoroughly cleaned so that no dirt gets into the transmission;
- remove the dipstick and also wipe it with a clean cloth so that the threads or pile do not get into the liquid.
Cleaning the dipstick before checking the oil level in the automatic transmission
As standard, there are marks on the dipstick for measuring the level of the transmission fluid. for a heated and not heated gearbox. They are designated respectively: “Hot” and “Cold”.
How to check the oil in an automatic transmission equipped with a dipstick?
When the tool is prepared, you can start checking the oil level in the automatic transmission.
The work is performed in 2 ways:
- in an unheated box to determine the expected result;
- warm. for more accurate monitoring.
The cold control method looks like this:
- start the engine for a short idle operation, while changing the position of the selector in order to achieve an even distribution of oil over all transmission units;
- the box is placed in parking mode;
- when the engine is running, the lubrication criteria are checked with a dipstick. they are inserted into the bore, pressed against the stop, and after extraction, the level to which the oil film has reached is assessed;
- if the liquid does not reach the “Min” mark at the “Cold” value, it must be topped up, otherwise the excess must be removed.
Draining oil from automatic transmission
reliable information can be obtained when checking in a hot box. To do this, you need to drive 10-15 km to warm up the car. Further, the process looks the same as described above. Only guided by the “Hot” mark.
In addition to the oil level, along the way, they find out:
- whether there is metal dust and dirt in the oil, indicating serious wear of the system;
- whether the grease has darkened strongly, which indicates the need to replace it.
Signs of lack of fluid in the automatic transmission
On modern cars, the average interval for changing the transmission fluid in an automatic transmission is 60-70 thousand km on the odometer. But sometimes the oil needs to be added without waiting for the specified period.
Lack of oil level in automatic transmission
Automatic transmission developers recommend checking the ATF level every 5-7 thousand kilometers. This helps determine the approximate moment when new fluid will need to be refilled. In addition, timely inspection avoids wear on seals and oil pump.
Signs of insufficient fluid in the transmission:
- loud noise in the checkpoint when squeezing the clutch when the car is stationary;
- the car jerks when shifting to higher gears.
Of course, it is better not to wait for such symptoms to appear and to check the oil level mark in the automatic transmission in a timely manner. This way the transmission will last longer.
What you need to know about enclosures for protection
It is forbidden to work without a protective cover. amateur performances can be dangerous to the user and others. But you cannot choose such parts from non-branded ones, you must use the manufacturer’s recommendations. The damaged case must be replaced in a timely manner.
The cabinets can be installed both on the rod and on the gearbox. In universal models (work with both a line and a disc) two different layers are attached. A special cutting insert can also be placed in the “wood” which cuts off the extra cord.
We summarize what has been said about the main points of care in this Hitachi motorcycle casing maintenance video:
Replacement is carried out after full production of gasoline in the tank. How to change the line in the trimmer. Correctly identify the disc to be replaced on the trimmer. This procedure is best done when the engine remains warm: the composition is in a liquid state and is easier to remove.
- Trimmer set at a specific angle to the drain hole.
- Unscrew the plug and let the used mixture drain.
- A new portion spills up the neck.
When it comes to discs, we should focus on how carefully the edges of the blades are sharpened. Sharpening must be done correctly, otherwise such a disk will load the engine, which will only shorten the service life of the latter. Rotate double-sided discs 180 ° regularly for even wear.
How to lubricate the trimmer gearbox? How to properly lubricate the trimmer gear?
Trimmer. how to make them. service. It is advisable to lubricate the trimmer gear as often as possible. No grease
When caring for a gasoline engine, pay particular attention to the cleanliness of the air filter. it must be free of sawdust and dirt. The foam filter should be constantly moistened with oil. Checks should be done weekly and change the filter quickly if necessary. Before starting any work, check that the nuts and screws are tight. It is also necessary to clean the muffler and spark plugs of soot, as they will get dirty.
In the electric version, it is sufficient to adhere to the operating time specified by the manufacturer.
Waste mixtures must be disposed of or used for heating.
The video explains in detail how to change the engine oil in the brush cutter.
What oil should be used for the trimmer gearbox?
During operation, the mechanical part of the trimmer is loaded by contact forces on the teeth, reaction resistance from grass adhesion (sometimes with dirt), dynamic, shock loads due to constantly changing torque. Trimmer gear oil must fully take into account these features, so the choice of brand must be strictly individual.
The following factors are taken into account:
- Manufacturer’s brand. Each brand is unreasonably focused on its own lubricants (you can talk about cheap Chinese products later). Look at the Neva MB-2 tractor gearbox oil change! This applies to manufacturers such as Husqvarna, Stihl, Huter, Makita and others. Household trimmers are an exception: for example, Caliber does not indicate the brand of lubricant in the user manual.
- Oil viscosity. It is known that all lubricants are divided into three groups. highly viscous (colloidal systems containing various additives), flexible compounds for universal use and solid lubricants that soften during operation.
- Good adhesion to the surface of transmission parts, resulting in no oil being pressed into gaps or collecting.
- Transmission oil consumption rate. Here you should rely on your own experience and expert advice, since some trimmer manufacturers, based on their own service centers, usually do not give clear recommendations on the life of the gearbox between two lubricants.
Oil consumption also depends on the temperature at which it stores its oil. When the gearbox is heated to 40 ° C, the operating conditions are satisfactory and the lubrication is sufficient.
Why mix trimmer oil with gasoline
The two-stroke engine has a normal and at the same time very efficient design:
All this determined the creation of a family of small engines that have successfully adapted to domestic and professional technology:
Due to the design features, the desired fuel consumption was achieved only on small engines in the 15.20 hp range. In particular, this figure looks great in the 1.5 hp range. with engine oil change. Air filter maintenance. Petrol trimmer. Here, the absolutely light weight and dimensions of the engine correspond to the gas mileage.
As the size increases, the area of the input and output channels increases. The process of gas removal and fuel supply is sharply intensified. In this regard, it was necessary to switch to a more efficient combustion system for the consistency of gasoline, which would predict the presence of forced engine maintenance systems. Thus, the four-stroke models have captured the palm of the hand among the powertrains with maximum power. Combining them into multi-cylinder designs made it possible to create special systems associated with the formation of the consistency of fuels and lubricants, etc., which had a positive effect on gasoline consumption.
How to check and change lawn mower oil
This is a quick beginner’s guide based on our experience and advice from Briggs Stratton. Important: each model has its own characteristics. Before following the advice, read the instructions of your
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Checking the oil level
The best way to avoid problems with your lawn mower is to check the oil level before each engine start. So you will know in time that there is not enough oil or it has darkened and it is time to change it.
Wipe the area around the oil cover to keep dirt out of the crankcase. The oil cap is marked with an engine oil symbol or the words Oil, Add.
Unscrew the cap and remove the dipstick. Wipe it off with a clean cloth and screw it back in as tightly as possible. This procedure ensures accurate reading of results.
Remove the dipstick a second time. The oil mark should be between the measuring lines. FULL and ADD (full and top up). There are also Max and Min labels.
If the oil level is above the FULL mark, it should be pumped out with an oil syringe. If the level is below ADD, you need to top up with fresh oil.
Even if the mower has not worked for the prescribed time, but the oil has darkened, it should be replaced without waiting 50 hours. For this:
Wipe dust and grass off the body and deck.
Run the mower for a few minutes. When draining the heated oil, more floating particles will go away, and less will settle in the engine.
Stop the engine and disconnect the wire leading to the spark plug.
Place a baking sheet under the base of the mower to drain the used oil. Old oil must not be thrown away; it must be disposed of at the nearest gas station or service station.
Raise the windrower to remove the drain plug. It will have a square shape for a 10 mm nut head.
Lower the mower onto the wheels and wait until the oil is completely drained. Then tighten the drain plug and connect the spark plug wire.
Fill with new oil and start the engine at idle speed. Check for leaks.
Remember, most lawn mowers cannot be turned over, as is often advised on the forums. There is a danger of flooding the engine. Therefore, first of all, read the instructions or contact us for a free consultation.
During the engine run-in period (this is approximately the trimmer operation on 2-3 tanks), the amount of oil can be increased. For example, mix it with gasoline in a 30: 1 ratio.
A small amount of oil mixed with gasoline leads to increased wear of the cylinder-piston group. An excess of oil in the mixture, although not so fatal, is also harmful. Coking of the piston rings, rapid formation of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, and a drop in engine power may occur. In addition, the muffler mesh screen is coked. Therefore, some users (after the end of the warranty period for the trimmer) recommend dismantling it.
The gasoline used in the lawn mower is AI 92. The brand of gasoline is precisely specified in the operating instructions. You should not try to “force” the engine by pouring 95th gasoline into it. This can cause overheating, erratic trimmer operation and breakage.
It is not recommended to leave fuel in the trimmer tank during extended shutdowns. It is better to end the working day with the entire mixture completely exhausted. If this is not done, then, since the gasoline will evaporate from the engine overnight, and a thin film of oil will remain, the carburetor jets may become clogged. This will cause difficulty the next time you start the engine.
It is also necessary to observe safety precautions when storing fuel. Many people pour gasoline into a plastic water bottle. Is it worth doing this?
You bought yourself a new petrol trimmer and immediately got into trouble. It starts very badly. If you mow a little, and then turn it off, then turning it on “hot” is even a bigger problem than “cold”. What to do with it, I don’t know how to get it right?
The instruction for the lawn mowers plant sounds like this:
Switch on ignition.
Pump up fuel with a silicone button (primer) located on the bottom of the carburetor. Pressing must be done as much (or a little more) as written in the instructions, usually about 8-10.
Close air damper.
Lock the throttle lever with the stop button at high speeds.
Pull the starter handle 2-3 times. The engine should “grab”.
If the engine “grabs” and stalled, then you need to move the choke to the 1/2 position and try to start again. If the engine starts, then we release the gas and move the air damper to the “open” position. Getting started.
When performing manipulations on pumping fuel, you do not need to be afraid to pour it over. If this happened, and, as they say, “filled the candle”, then you do not need to unscrew it, it is enough to move the air damper to the “open” position and, while holding full throttle, simultaneously turn the engine with the starter 2-4 times. After that, you can start the engine and get to work.
If everything is in order with the electrical equipment, then we check the carburetor.
The trim tabs are fitted with vacuum carburetors. When disassembling, cleaning or washing it, you need to be extremely careful. in no case do you disassemble the lower part of the carburetor where the primer is located. The air filter (visible when you remove the protective cover from the carburetor) must be washed with detergents. Best for washing dishes. After drying, put it back. We wash the carburetor with clean gasoline and blow through all the holes with a pump. We also wash the fuel line filter, then dry and collect everything. Usually, after all the manipulations, the trimmer starts working.
A thin cable instead of a fishing line, is it worth it to be put on the lawn mower?
This idea comes to mind to almost everyone who had to mow 10 acres of tall grass. At first glance, the idea seems like a good one. The cable is stronger than the line and does not wear out so much. However, not all so simple.
Benzotrimmer loves cleanliness. It is necessary to monitor the cleanliness of the air filter and fuel. Gasoline bought at a gas station is better to stand for 2 days and pass through the simplest filter. a piece of bike cloth.
We check the electrical equipment as follows:
We unscrew the candle, examine the gap between the electrodes. We can set the correct gap between the electrodes in the “old-fashioned” way. We take the razor blade, break it in half and insert a homemade probe between the electrodes. If the blades fit tightly, then the gap is perfect.
We put the cap of the high-voltage wire on the candle and lean the candle against the metal surface of the engine. We pull the starter several times. If the spark hits one point well, then the gap is adjusted correctly. If not, the spark is weak or “wandering”, then it is necessary to re-adjust the gap between the electrodes.
Some tricks for working with the petrol trimmer.
In no case should you store gasoline in a plastic container from under water. When mixing the fuel mixture, a static charge accumulates, you can “catch” a spark.
Therefore, at gas stations it is not allowed to fill gasoline in plastic cans, only in metal ones. Before pouring gasoline into a metal canister, it is better to put it on the ground, this way static is removed from the body.
But there are situations when simple manipulations with the lawn mower do not help. The engine still won’t start. In this case, we are going to check the power supply and ignition system, guided by the rule “the engine does not work if there is nothing to burn or nothing to set on fire”.
Also, the ignition coil may be punctured in electrical equipment. In this case, the lawn mower will not start, or it will start and work intermittently, and then it stalls, or it will not start at all when it is hot.
You can check the coil’s serviceability in the same way as when checking the spark: unscrew the candle, lean it against the trimmer body. If there is no spark when you jerk the starter, or it appears every other time, you need to change the coil.
The appearance of dew
Another way to test a product at home is to take it out of the refrigerator and place it on the table at room temperature. The appearance of water droplets (dew) on the surface is a negative sign indicating a large volume of vegetable fats.
Lettering on the pack
The information on the box can tell you a lot. Pay attention to the following points:
- composition. the main component is only milk and cream;
- name. peasant butter, butter, amateur, etc.
- fat content. from 60%, but better from 70-72;
- GOST and TO.
We tell you how to check butter for naturalness at home!
One way to tell the difference between butter and fake butter is to look at its appearance. It is necessary to check the surface of a quality product. It must have a homogeneous composition without spots, inclusions and impurities. Pay special attention to traces of damage (they should not be).
To check for naturalness, look at the color. It should be tender and milky. Excessive yellowness indicates the presence of impurities.
If you make a request on the Internet how to test butter for naturalness at home, you can find a video with a dough in a frying pan in the search results. For the experiment, cut a piece and place it on the hot metal. The appearance of foam indicates a high percentage of whey and a low level of milk fat. This product is not recommended for baking.
Boiling water test
Recommendations for the use of gas powered tools
Before first use.
Before the first plant, it is recommended to de-preserve the gasoline-powered tool:
- unscrew the candle
- we collect a little oil into the syringe (about 4-5 drops)
- dripping into the cylinder, trying to hit the cylinder walls.
- without twisting the candle, pull the starter handle 2-3 times to lubricate the cylinder itself.
- check the spark plug gap, which should correspond to about 0.7-1 mm
- twirl the candle in place
We also recommend using such operations in case of long-term storage of the gasoline-powered tool (2 or more months). Drip oil
under the spark plug and lubricate the cylinder before and after storage. As a result of this procedure, the engine will be slightly more difficult to start, however, this will significantly extend the life of the engine.
To start a cold gasoline tool engine, you must:
- pump gasoline 3-5 times with a rubber button (located under the carburetor) so that the gasoline gets directly into the carburetor itself
- check the trimmer switch on the trimmer handle, it must be in position “1” or “start”.
- pump fuel with the gas button located on the right handle (about 2-4 times). Do not overdo it by pumping fuel, it can flood the candle.
- set the handle (“suction”) to the suction position,
- as soon as the trimmer is started, the choke handle must be pushed in as the trimmer should not and will not work normally in the suction position
It is forbidden to turn off petrol equipment at high speeds. This could damage the ignition coil.
Since the Ukrainian market is filled with counterfeit oil, we strongly recommend that you use certified oil under the Sturm brand! 2t, the quality of which is confirmed by certificates and it really has the necessary characteristics for the durable operation of gasoline equipment.
A mixture of oil and gasoline.
Adhere to the proportions indicated on the oil packaging.
Don’t mix too much tool mixture. The finished mixture should be stored for no more than 2 weeks. With prolonged storage, the mixture begins to oxidize, which negatively affects the operation of the engine.
All Sturm lawn mowers! Energomash, SOYUZ, BauMaster are equipped with a line with a diameter of 2.4 mm, round. In practice, the ideal diameter is 2.7 mm, which we also stock. To install a fishing line with a diameter of 3 mm, we recommend slightly reaming the ears on the inside of the reel with a 3-3.3 mm drill.
Pay attention to the correct winding of the line in the spool. The arrows on the coil body will point you in the right direction. The line should not cross and get tangled when winding. It is recommended to use about 3-4 meters of line per winding.
TO gasoline-powered tools
Carry out regular maintenance of the gasoline-powered tool. Service includes visual inspection, cleaning and replacing the air filter, spark plugs, checking for grease in the lower trimmer gear.
Do not use the trimmer at high rpm for a long time. Gasoline powered tools, like any gasoline engine, do not like high revs, since this is critical for the engine.
Ideal load should be slightly above average engine rpm.
Do not overheat the engine. Optimal work ratio. 20 minutes of work / 5 minutes of break.