How to Choose a Disc for Angle Grinder
Diamond blade design. It is essentially a circle of steel with a cutting part and special slots over its entire surface. Their purpose is to remove heat and reduce strain stress. As the name implies, the disk contains interspersed diamonds throughout its rim.
Diamonds are inserted into the rim from alloys of tin, cobalt, nickel and zinc. Thanks to the use of special manufacturing technologies, it is possible to achieve exceptional fastening strength, which is important for linear speeds of up to 80 m / s and high friction during operation.
With a large load, there is a need to ensure retention of the cutting part. In this case, diamonds can be fixed to a metal sheet by laser welding, sintering, electroplating or soldering. Over, the use of soldering is advisable only in disks for cutting angle grinders with water cooling.
The purpose of the disk depends on the method of fixing the diamond. Galvanized diamonds are suitable for cutting soft natural stone, while laser-welded and sintered blades will be the best solution for working with hard materials.
What are diamond wheels for?
Diamond blades are more preferred when cutting hard non-metallic materials than abrasive tools. This is due to the fact that, unlike abrasive ones, diamond wheels retain the cutting depth, linear speed, and also their diameter, which allows to achieve maximum productivity during operation and use them for processing hard materials. Such circles are used to work with stone, granite, concrete, asphalt and other materials with high hardness. However, there are also versions for diamond cutting of metals and steel of various hardness.
In order to understand exactly what diamond discs are for, you should deal with their varieties. Depending on the tasks, the type of material being processed and the source equipment you have, there may be some nuances when choosing such a consumable tool.
How to choose a diamond blade
The maximum working effect is possible only with the right choice of such accessories for angle grinders. Not only geometric parameters, but also binding materials are important here.
First of all, pay attention to such parties as the outer and landing diameter, as well as the speed. The parameters you need must necessarily meet the requirements of the equipment used. In this case, the cutting depth will depend on the external material.
The main diameters are 115, 125, 180 and 230 mm. The most common sizes of landing holes are 22.2 and 25.4 mm. It is important that the exact fit of the selected sizes with the possibility of your angle grinder.
Another important consideration when choosing is maximum rotational speed and linear speed. Important. If the capabilities of your tool are higher than the characteristics of the disk, then you cannot use it. In this case, centrifugal forces will quickly tear such a disk apart.
You should also accurately determine the tasks that you set in front of the disk. Depending on this, you should choose the appropriate model.
By the method of cutting there are:
- For dry cutting. Provide an accurate cut, but require additional devices for dust removal. In the process of their operation, particles of small debris are formed, clogging the eyes and respiratory tract;
- For wet cutting. Work with regular fluid intake, the task of which is to remove dust. They require water-cooled angle grinders.
It is noteworthy that disks for dry cutting can be used in angle grinders with a water cooling system, but disks for a “wet” cut cannot be used without this system. Without cooling, they quickly overheat and collapse.
There is also a clear distinction depending on the shape of the cutting part:
- Solid. Such circles have a closed cutting contour, providing the cleanest cut. They are mainly used for cutting ceramic tiles and the same fragile materials. The disadvantages include a small level of productivity and durability;
Solid “turbo”. Its characteristic feature is a closed loop and the presence of a slot on the cutting part, which increases productivity and heat removal;
Segment. The cutting edge of such a disk is divided into segments. Depending on the shape of the disk and the number of segments can be optimized for a specific task. For diamond cutting of hard materials. Asphalt, concrete, granite, etc.;
Replacement circle angle grinder
Despite the many variations of angle grinders and machine tools, depending on the manufacturing company, the disk is mounted the same everywhere. On its spindle with a clamping flange with M14 thread. To unscrew it, an open-end wrench is included, the pins of which are inserted into the holes of the flange.
To successfully replace a circle, follow these steps:
- Fix the spindle by pressing the corresponding lock button on the body;
- Insert the key into the hole in the flange. While holding the lock button, simultaneously turn the key counterclockwise, moving the flange in place;
- When the flange yields, unscrew it by hand;
- Remove the old disk;
- Remove the bottom flange;
- Remove the formed plaque inside the angle grinder with a metal brush;
- Install the lower flange on the spindle so that the marks on the flange coincide with the grooves on the spindle;
- Put the gasket on top (if one is missing, you can cut the washer out of cardboard or sheet metal);
- Put a new disk and cover it with a second gasket (the presence of such a layer is necessary to be able to unscrew the flange in case of jamming or destruction of the disk);
- Hand tighten the upper flange against the direction in which the circle rotates, holding the disk;
- Hold the lock button on the housing and continue to tighten the flange with an open-end wrench. Do not tighten the flange too tight, as the disc will warp.
The disk replacement is over and you can safely get to work.