How To Choose A Petrol Lawn Mower Pegasus
Types of Lawn Mowers
There are three types of lawn mowers:
- Wheel mowers that ride on the grass. They are electric and gasoline.
- Devices that are worn during mowing are trimmers. They are equipped with a gasoline or electric engine.
- Riders are lawn mowers who “carry” us during the mowing process, or on which we ride on the lawns.
Electric lawn mowers: sensitivity to the details of the device is the key to their effective and long service.
How to choose an electric lawn mower
And we will talk about the first type of lawn mowers. Electric wheeled ones, although much of what is discussed later in this material will be true for gasoline devices. Compared to gasoline powered machines, electric lawn mowers emit less noise during operation. In addition, do not forget about environmental issues: to leave the city to again breathe in the exhaust? No, fire!
When purchasing an electric lawnmower, you should consider some of the nuances:
- The density and composition of the grass that you are going to cut;
- The shape and size of the “experimental” site;
Having decided on the nuances, you will know exactly what details when choosing an electric device you need to pay special attention to.
The main thing in organizing lawn mowing is regularity: you cannot allow the grass to grow waist-high, otherwise we will lose its original softness. After mowing, there will be rare and hard stems through which the earth shines through. To evenly overgrow grass again, it will take time.
It is important not to “miss” the grass in spring. Somewhere in early May (let’s take Victory Day as a mark) the grass is just growing. But it would be better to do her first mowing, otherwise she will make a magic leap in her growth. In one week, greens will grow on your knee, and in the spring the turf is very dense, the grass is fresh and juicy, saturated with spring waters. As a result of this, you will mow for a very long time and painfully.
Makita ELM4612: mows tall, wet, and thick weeds
And an electric wheeled lawnmower is not able to “take” grass to the waist, unless you remove the grass collector and lift the mower “on its hind legs”. But this will be a completely extreme option, and excessively time-consuming: in order to carry a reared lawn mower, extraordinary power is needed. If you miss the moment, it’s better to take the braid and, like our ancestors, go ahead, along the dew with the song.
The lawn mower is designed for mowing lawns, but do not worry if you did not plant grass purposefully. You can give your site a beautiful look, while mowing down the natural flora, whether it be a dream or nettle. If this is done regularly, the mown area will be attractive: the weeds will disappear and the grass will be covered with mow-resistant grasses. Bluegrass, clover and others, depending on the soil composition on the site.
The advantage of natural lawn:
- It does not require care, since it independently regulates the composition of the grass,
- The lawn adapts to climatic conditions.
The advantage of gas mowers
The main competitors for gas mowers are electric mowers. The advantage of gasoline lawn mowers, in relation to electric, is as follows:
- Independent of availability of power source
- They have a more powerful engine that allows you to work on large lawn sizes
- Maneuverable, as Do not have an electric cable that will trail behind and cling to all obstacles.
- With a gas mower you can even mow ordinary, tougher grass
- Cheaper to maintain (although they break more often)
Despite this, gasoline lawn mowers have several significant disadvantages, namely:
- Make noise
- Assume additional material costs for fuels and lubricants (fuels and lubricants)
- Emission of harmful emissions into the atmosphere
- Often requires repair and maintenance
- The engine is designed in such a way that when working with a gas mower on the hills cooler than 25 °, the oil stops entering the lubrication channels of the rubbing parts, as a result of which the mower can break.
Types of gas mowers
Gas mower design
There are several varieties of gasoline lawn mowers, namely:
By type of engine:
- Household (for a plot of up to 8 acres, with a motor resource of 500 hours and having a power of up to 5 hp)
- Semi-professional (for a site up to 18 hundred parts, with a motor resource of 700 operating hours and having a power of up to 7 hp)
- Professional (for sites of any size, with a motor resource of 1000 engine hours, with a capacity of over 7 hp)
- With a width of 42-28 cm. Suitable for plots with an area of not more than 8 acres.
- With a width of 51-53 cm. Suitable for areas up to 18 acres.
By type of grass catcher:
- With fabric grass catcher (for high-powered units). Dignity. Well filled. The disadvantage is that it is difficult to clean.
- With plastic grass catcher. The advantage is ease of care. The disadvantage is poor filling of the container.
- With combined grass catcher (plastic cloth). Advantages. Ease of care, well filled.
By functional features:
- The mowed grass is sent to the grass catcher. Such types of gasoline lawn mowers do not have more important functions. Mulching and lateral ejection of mowed grass.
- Mulch the soil with mowed grass. Mowed grass is additionally crushed in the deck of the unit and laid with a thin mulching layer on the lawn. These lawn mowers have an exit under a grass catcher and a stub.
- Side discharge of mowed grass. It is used when servicing large areas of the lawn.
To adjust the height of mowing the lawn:
- Individual adjustment. Each unit wheel has a separate mowing height adjustment lever.
- Central adjustment. The adjustment lever simultaneously controls the entire cutting height.
- Screw adjustment. The most simple and inconvenient way to adjust the cutting height, in which the height is set manually when moving the wheel axis up / down.
By type of movement:
- Self-propelled. It has a drive that allows you to automatically move a gas mower. The main thing is to direct to the mowing area.
- Not self-propelled. The movement of the unit is carried out manually.
By type of drive:
- Front-wheel drive lawn mower. It is more maneuverable and is used on flat areas.
- Rear wheel drive lawn mower. Used when mowing grass in hilly areas, as more stable when driving with a load on the rear wheels (driving uphill).
Guidelines for choosing a gas mower yourself
Almost all the advantages and disadvantages of various types of gasoline lawn mowers we have provided above, in a brief description. But still I would like to draw your attention to some design features of gasoline lawn mowers, which should be considered when buying a unit.
So, professional gardeners provide you with the following recommendations for choosing a gas mower:
- When buying a gas mower, pay attention to the diameter of the wheels. The larger the diameter, the more maneuverable the unit will be, and therefore the mowing process is more comfortable.
- The mower deck must be aluminum. In this case, the mower itself will be lighter, more resistant to mechanical damage and the formation of corrosion.
- If you choose a machine that is not powerful enough, the grass catcher should be plastic, because it will be more convenient to clean the container from grass.
- Give preference to lawn mowers with folding rubber handles. They are easier to transport and vibrations from the engine will be less felt.
- The mowing height should be adjusted by the central lever, this is more convenient and will allow a more even mowing of the lawn throughout the area.
- Pay attention to the executive organ of the lawnmower. The knife. It should be sharp and preferably broad. In this design, the lawn mowers will cut grass better.
- Choose a gas mower with wheels on the bearings, as conventional plastic sleeves fail faster and are less resistant to mechanical damage.
- It is impossible not to say about engine power. Based on the area of your site, choose an engine with a power reserve so that you can mow grass in any weather. We draw your attention to the fact that self-propelled lawn mowers take away part of the engine power for driving, this also needs to be taken into account.
- Give preference to lawn mower manufacturers such as Honda, Hitachi, Craftsman, Viking, MTD, Stihl, Husqvarma, Stiga, Makita, etc. Pay attention to the manufacturer of the gas mower engine, Briggs are the leaders Stratton and Honda.
That’s all the recommendations for choosing a gasoline lawn mower with your own hands! We draw your attention to the fact that if you change the oil and sharpen knives in a timely manner, the gasoline unit will serve you long and carefree!