How To Choose A Screwdriver For Ice Screw
Bosch GSR 18 VE-EC 0 L-BOXX
The very name of the company Bosch, which produces this screwdriver, speaks of its quality. Unstressed. Maximum hard torque. 75 Nm. Reverse. Adjustable speed. Lithium-ion battery with 18 volt voltage. Equipped with an additional handle. Average.
Adapter for an ice screw for a screwdriver
An adapter is a must for any ice screw. He will play the role of a connecting element between the screwdriver and the working drill directly. Using an adapter, you can convert a conventional manual ice drill into an electric one, correctly calculating the dimensions and diameter of all components.
An adapter for a screwdriver for an ice screw consists of two halves:
- Hexagonal or quadrangular from the side of the screwdriver (about 2.6 cm);
- A round shaft for a drill (about 6.8 cm), in which a hole has been drilled for the mounting bolt. Standard fit diameters. 18 mm or 22 mm.
If desired, each angler can make an adapter himself, choosing a steel rod of a suitable diameter for it and asking the milling machine to grind one edge into a shank for attaching to a screwdriver. All that remains is to drill a hole to fix the adapter with the ice screw tube.
Requirements for the parameters of the screwdriver
The choice of a screwdriver for an ice screw is based on the tasks facing him, namely, to work well and for a long time:
- First of all, when choosing a screwdriver, you need to pay attention to its power. It should be at least 18 V. If finances allow, it is better to opt for models with a voltage of 36 V, since the more powerful the instrument, the easier it will be able to cope with thick ice.
- The second important indicator is torque. The principle “the more the better” also works here. The minimum indicators for the correct choice are 50-70 Nm, but if there is an opportunity to acquire a more advanced model (80-90 Nm), then you should not deny yourself this pleasure. After all, the higher the torque, the easier the drilling process itself will be. Such an ice screw can handle even the driest and thickest ice.
- One of the main requirements for a screwdriver is reliability and durability. As a result, it is better to give preference to proven brands of domestic and foreign manufacturers, who have already managed to prove themselves from the best side.
- In order to avoid wringing of the brushes, an additional handle should be located on the screwdriver, thanks to which the ice screw can be held with both hands. This will protect your limbs from unnecessary injuries that can ruin the fishing experience.
Next, you have to decide what kind of battery you need so that after a few minutes your screwdriver does not turn into an unnecessary unit, uselessly dragged across the reservoir. Basically, anglers choose three types of batteries:
- Li-Ion batteries. They charge quickly, are lightweight, but do not tolerate severe frosts. However, the latest models of lithium-ion batteries are designed for use at low temperatures, but they still have to be removed and periodically hidden in the bosom;
- Nickel cadmium batteries. They are highly frost-resistant, but make the ice screw heavier;
- Nickel metal hydride battery. The most optimal battery for a screwdriver, representing a cross between the above batteries.
As practice has shown, most often anglers prefer nickel-cadmium batteries. Despite their weight, they cope with the main duty of a good ice screw. to break through any ice, not paying attention to severe frosts. And this, you see, is an important factor in winter fishing.
Battery capacity is not in the last place when choosing a screwdriver. It should not be less than 2.5-3 Ah in order to have time to drill several dozen holes before the battery is completely discharged.
Rating of the five best screwdrivers for an ice screw
Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls
Quite a tolerable model with a number of advantages: a removable battery 4-5.2 Ah with a voltage of 18 V, light weight. 2 kg, the most rigid torque. 110 Nm; additional handle. Average. The only drawback is the impact screwdriver, which often causes some inconvenience when drilling ice.
How to choose a screwdriver for an ice screw
If on the first ice, when its thickness has not yet become too critical, you can still get by with an ice drill, then when the thickness of the ice shell increases, the angler will no longer be able to do without the help of an ice screw.
And its best alternative for people who do not particularly like to carry bulky and heavy manual or motorized drills will be a regular screwdriver. But the first question that a fisherman faces is which screwdriver to choose for an ice screw?
- Requirements for the parameters of the screwdriver
- Adapter for an ice screw for a screwdriver
- Rating of the five best screwdrivers for an ice screw
- Tips and useful information for selection and operation
It has a powerful motor, fast chuck and reversing function. Equipped with a 3 Ah lithium-ion battery with a capacity of 14.4 V. Its torque is 70 Nm. Has an additional handle. Manufacturer’s warranty. 1 year.
Makita 6337 DWDE
The best combination of price and quality. Nickel-metal hydride battery with a voltage of 14.4 V. Capacity. 2.5 Ah. The maximum hard torque is 65 Nm. Impactless screwdriver. Charging time is 1 hour. Weight. 2.1 kg. Has auto-reverse. Average. There is also a drawback. the lack of an additional handle. Not fatal, but still unpleasant.
How to choose a screwdriver battery?
Since the temperature rarely rises above zero in winter, and even not in all regions, the battery bears a great responsibility in terms of survivability in the cold.
There are three main types of batteries:
- Nickel metal hydride (Ni-Mh);
- Nickel-cadmium (Ni-Cd);
- Lithium Ion (Li-Ion).
The most common are lithium-ion, which have indisputable advantages such as increased capacity, low self-discharge and unpretentious maintenance.
Nevertheless, the operating temperature range is worse than that of nickel-cadmium from 20 to 60. Recommended operating temperature is 20.
Nickel-cadmium is more resistant to low temperatures, the operating range is from 50 to 40. Also, the advantages include the ability to store in a discharged state, which cannot be said about lithium-ion. And this is already a serious application to choose from.
The nickel-metal hydride battery has a lot of advantages, such as lower weight, increased energy consumption, a small “memory effect”, but at a temperature of 10 it will quickly discharge, which will greatly upset its owner who is going to drill more than a dozen holes.
It is also necessary to pay attention to the capacity of the batteries, so that it is not enough for a couple of holes, but for a couple of dozen and this capacity starts from 2.5 ampere hours, preferably 3 Ah.
Which screwdriver to choose for an ice screw: tips from fishermen
- Let’s narrow down the topic and clarify the choice
- How to choose a screwdriver battery?
- Important part, ice screw adapter
- Let’s sum up.
The mere sight of the ice screw immediately reminds me of winter, and many fishing enthusiasts are already looking impatiently at the thermometer columns, sorting through the memory of winter fishing last year. Yes, it’s time to get ready, and get out of the closet accessories for winter fishing, one of which is an ice screw for holes.
All winter fishing enthusiasts know firsthand how much labor and effort it takes to drill holes in meter ice, and sometimes they have to drill a dozen or more in a day. So how do you make this hard work easier??
In fact, there is nothing new and tricky in this device, there are many articles on this topic where it is described in detail how to make an ice screw with your own hands, but we are interested in an ice screw with a screwdriver.
So, what we need to make our dream come true is to drill a hole quickly and efficiently, without making any special efforts:
- Ice screw. homemade or purchased.
- Screwdriver. powerful enough.
- Adapter. an adapter connecting the screwdriver with an ice screw into a single mechanism and reliably transmitting torque.
Let’s narrow down the topic and refine the choice
So what kind of screwdriver for an ice screw we need to choose in order to punch a hole in a short period of time and at the same time not even sweat?
Naturally, a household screwdriver with a voltage of 12V is not very suitable for such work, since it does not have sufficient torque, which should be in the range of 50. 80 Nm.
The choice should be stopped on an 18-volt screwdriver or its more professional 36-volt relative.
Important part, ice screw adapter
Ice screw adapter drawing
But if there is a great desire to make an adapter with your own hands, then it is enough to take a thick-walled tube or bar. An ordinary bit is suitable for a shank for a screwdriver.
By welding, connect one to the other, of course, observing the alignment. The hole on the side for connecting the adapter with the ice screw is easy to drill.
Or you can make an adapter with a thread for installation instead of a cartridge, as shown in the video. Perhaps this is the best option.
Metabo BS 18 LTX BL I
Professional screwdriver with hammerless drilling function. Brushless tool delivers maximum power even under the most extreme conditions.
There is a pulse mode that allows you to achieve clear results of work at maximum speed.
Provides a unique electronic Precision Stop clutch that acts as a regulator for torque.
The spindle with an internal hexagon is designed for fixing the bit, allows you to work without a drilling element.
Thanks to Ultra-M technology, a high performance of the Li-lon Metabo 18 V battery system is achieved.
- keyless chuck diameter. 1.5-13 mm;
- speed at max. speed. 1,850 per minute;
- full torque. 120 Nm;
- battery capacity. 5.2 Ah;
- voltage. 18 V;
- the set includes an additional handle in addition to the battery set;
- weight. 2.3 kg.
- bright LED light;
- reverse mode;
- the ability to work in a drill stand;
- hook on the case for wearing;
- aluminum gearbox with heat dissipation system;
- resistance to any weather conditions.
TOP-10 best models rating
In this rating, we have collected for you the best models in terms of price, quality and reliability.
How to choose and what to look for?
- Pay attention to power. Depends on battery voltage. The higher the indicator, the easier the screwdriver copes with ice, various obstacles. The optimal value is from 18 V. If finances allow, then the best option is 36 V.
- For torque. The normal parameter is 50-70 Nm, the best is 80-90 Nm. This makes it easier to drill the hole.
- Decide on the type of battery. Lithium-ion batteries are popular. They are durable, hardy, have a longer battery life.
- With options. The second handle for a more comfortable grip, an adapter for fixing the screwdriver to the ice ax will not be superfluous.
DeWALT DCD791P2 70 Nm
Cordless drill / screwdriver. The next generation model in the line of professional cordless tools.
Has a high power output of 4.6 kW, an impeccable torque of 70 Nm.
The manufacturer has equipped the device with a brushless motor, which, together with the proprietary Li-lon DeWALT 20V MAX battery platform, guarantees high performance with a minimum battery consumption (about 30%).
With such indicators, the screwdriver has a compact size and low weight. It fits well in the hand, provides a secure grip due to the rubberized handle.
- keyless chuck diameter. 1.5-13 mm;
- speed at max. speed. 2,000 rpm;
- battery capacity. 5 Ah;
- battery voltage. 18 V;
- system recharging time. 1 hour;
- includes a branded storage box, charger, two batteries;
- dimensions. 17.5×20.3 cm;
- weight. 1.7 kg.
- Neon lights;
- overload and overheating protection system;
- reliable and practical battery platform;
- metal jaw chuck;
- silent operation of a two-speed gearbox;
- second generation brushless motor.
- there is a slight backlash in the battery.
BOSCH GSR 18-2-LI Plus
Professional screwdriver with hammerless drill function. Has the best price / performance ratio among its brethren.
Designed with Bosch Heavy Duty technology to achieve new standards of power, reliability, durability.
The model is powered by Li-lon BOSCH PRO-MIX 18 V batteries with increased density.
The batteries are protected from overheating, overloading and deep discharge. Therefore, the user receives a high-tech device with a basic set of functions.
- keyless chuck diameter. 1.5-13 mm;
- speed at max. speed. 1 900 per minute;
- full torque. 63 Nm;
- battery capacity. 2 Ah;
- voltage. 18 V;
- dimensions. 19.1×23 cm;
- weight. 2 kg.
- charge indicator;
- reverse mode;
- handle with soft pad;
- built-in LED lamp;
- the possibility of metal processing;
- suitability for all types of construction work;
- optimized torque;
- dynamic brake function.
- poor chuck fixation.
Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013
The Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013 is a reliable professional device for a wide range of applications.
It has a high torque of 110 Nm, so it can easily tighten large self-tapping screws.
The maximum size of holes in a tree is 65 mm, which is useful not only when designing garden furniture, but also for creating decorations from plywood or timber and as an ice screw.
The model has a keyless chuck, so changing bits and drills does not take much time.
Ricky Gervais Sees Pierced Arm: Real or Magic | David Blaine
The product is equipped with an additional comfortable grip that allows you to hold the tool more firmly.
The body of the product is finished with soft inserts, which provides a secure grip and dampens vibrations.
A metal clip is provided for wearing on the belt.
- Voltage. 18 V.
- Torque. 110 Nm.
- Chuck size. 13 mm.
- 3 batteries included.
- There are a lot of electronics in the charger.
The DeWALT DCD791NT cordless model is designed for drilling holes in concrete, wood and for driving screws into different materials.
The product is a powerful representative of cordless screwdrivers mowing line, which are made in a compact form and are characterized by mobility.
The device operates from a rechargeable battery, which allows you to perform operations in different places where there is no electrical network.
In the central part of the screwdriver there is a rubberized handle, which allows you to hold the model firmly in your hands, even if the worker’s hands are slightly damp.
The product has several speeds for performing operations with screws and drilling, which allows you to adjust with maximum precision to the material with which you have to work.
It has a strap mount at the bottom, allowing the worker to attach the tool to the strap, freeing his hands.
- Torque. 70 Nm.
- Speeds. 2.
- Shank size. 13 mm.
- Spindle speed. 550 rpm.
- Comfortable grip.
- Belt brace.
- Inadmissible chuck runout.
The DeWALT DCD991NT screwdriver belongs to the shockless models and demonstrates an impressive torque. up to 95 Nm, which makes it a good choice for screwing and loosening tight fasteners.
It is suitable for active professional use and is equipped with a quick-release chuck, which guarantees easy tool change. The chuck has a clamping diameter of 13 mm and reliably fixes accessories for any purpose.
The device can also be used as a productive cordless drill, thanks to which it is possible to drill holes with a diameter of up to 55 cm in wood and 13 mm in metal.
The product is equipped with a handle that is ergonomic and comfortable even during prolonged use and is powered by a battery. The battery capacity is 5 Ah, with an output voltage of 18 W. The set, which includes a screwdriver, replaceable batteries and a network charger, is placed in a branded case.
- Power. 650 W.
- Number of speeds. 3.
- The number of stages of a torque. 12.
- Battery capacity. 5 Ah.
- Bright backlight.
- Good batteries.
- Poor build.
- No bit included.
TOP-12 rating of the best screwdrivers for ice screws in 2020
|TOP 6 Best Cordless High Torque Ice Screwdrivers|
|one||DeWALT DCD991NT||Find out the price|
|2||Makita DDF481Z||Find out the price|
|3||DeWALT DCD796D2||Find out the price|
|four||Metabo BS 18 LTX BL I||Find out the price|
|five||DeWALT DCD996P2||Find out the price|
|6||Metabo BS 18 LTX Impuls 2013||Find out the price|
|TOP 6 Best High Torque Cordless Ice Ax Screwdrivers|
|one||DeWALT DCD791NT||Find out the price|
|2||DeWALT DCD791D2||Find out the price|
|3||Metabo BS 18 LTX BL I LiHD||Find out the price|
|four||Makita DHP458RFE||Find out the price|
|five||Makita DHP451RFE||Find out the price|
|6||Makita DDF481RTE||Find out the price|
TOP 6 Best High Torque Cordless Ice Ax Screwdrivers
With high torque models, you can quickly form a hole even on thick layers of ice.
Metabo BS 18 LTX BL I
The heavy-duty cordless drill Metabo BS 18 LTX BL I has a brushless motor and a high torque of 120 Nm.
The device belongs to the category of professional hand tools and can easily cope with large volumes of high-intensity serial work.
The screwdriver is useful in construction, finishing work.
At the first speed of 500 rpm, the model allows you to quickly wrap and unscrew screws, screws, self-tapping screws and confirmations of large diameter and length.
At a second speed of 1,850 rpm, the model can effectively drill small holes in steel, non-ferrous metals and alloys, wood and polymers.
The product also features an electronic Precision Stop system that adjusts torque for precise machining.
The main element of the product design is a maintenance-free brushless electric motor. In addition to high power, the device has a high efficiency rate and is resistant to overloads.
- Torque. 120 Nm.
- The number of revolutions. 1850 rpm.
- Voltage. 18 V.
- Fits comfortably in the hand.
The Makita DHP451RFE Impact Drill / Driver features a durable nylon casing with ventilation holes for long life.
Twenty torque modes have been developed for loosening and tightening screws, separately included modes for convenient and simple drilling.
The maximum permissible maximum for brick drilling is 8 mm. The peak screw size is 10 mm. The device also has LED backlighting. You can replace the carbon brushes yourself.
A faster way to install eye screws
The model is useful for builders, furniture assemblers, carpenters, electricians, decorators and fishermen for drilling a thick layer of ice.
The screwdriver includes a keyless chuck for easy tool changes, reversing, ergonomic handle, replaceable carbon brushes for economical engine maintenance and longer life.
- Battery charge. 5 Ah.
- Voltage. 18 V.
- Chuck size. 13 mm.
- Speeds. 2.
- Great powerful machine.
- Several operating modes.
TOP-12 best screwdrivers for an ice screw: rating of 2020 for price / quality and which one to choose for winter fishing
Ice fishing involves the use of an ice ax.
It helps to fill holes with a diameter of more than 20 cm, but not every angler is ready to carry a heavy motorized device.
Therefore, resourceful fishermen use a conventional screwdriver.
It is the best alternative because of its small size, weight and reasonable cost. But which screwdriver to choose for drilling ice?
We have compiled a rating of the best screwdrivers for an ice screw in terms of price / quality ratio, the most popular in 2020.