How To Connect A Screwdriver From The Block Computer
How to turn on a computer power supply without a computer
All computer components are designed to work in tandem with each other, but there is one element of the system that is in some way self-sufficient and can work on its own. We are talking about the computer’s power supply. Indeed, despite the fact that it is designed to work together with other computer components, their presence is not at all mandatory for its operation, unlike, for example, a card.
On the other hand, the question arises, why even turn on a computer power supply without connecting to a computer. There are two main reasons. First, to test its performance. Let’s say you press the power button on the computer case and it won’t turn on. The simplest thing to do in such a situation is to make sure the power supply is working. You can also check the voltage output under load if there is a malfunction of the computer and the suspicion falls on the power supply.
Secondly, it can be used as a powerful universal power supply with different voltages. Thus, a new use can be found for the old computer power supply.
Why we might need to start a computer power supply without the help of a computer, we figured it out, it remains to figure out how to do it. It seems logical to just plug it into an electrical outlet. The idea is certainly correct, but this is not enough, it will not work, since it is controlled by the computer’s motherboard.
This means that we need to imitate commands from the motherboard, since this is done very simply. To do this, we need a piece of wire or a piece of flexible metal, such as a paper clip. Our task is to close two contacts in the block that supplies power to the motherboard. This will be the start command for the computer’s power supply.
We take the motherboard power connector and short the green wire (PS_ON) with any black wire (COM) using a jumper. The plug comes in two versions: pin (old standard) and pin (collapsible 204). In this case, this does not affect anything, however, in power supplies from unknown manufacturers, the colors of the wires may be confused. Therefore, we recommend, just in case, check the diagram below, so as not to accidentally short-circuit something else.
It should be noted that computer power supplies do not like to work without load, therefore it is recommended to always connect some kind of consumer. The easiest way is to take a cooler, an unnecessary hard drive or a light bulb of the appropriate voltage and power. We connect the load to the power supply, in this case the case cooler and a piece of red wire with stripped ends connect the green and the adjacent black wires.
Now if you plug the power supply into an outlet, it will work immediately. To turn off the power supply, you can not turn it off from the outlet, but simply open the jumper we made. For those people who are going to use the computer power supply as a separate power source, it is recommended to ensure reliable contact in the block using soldering, a mating block, or in another way. Also, to increase the convenience of use, a button can be built into the jumper that will control the switching on and off of the power supply.
How to power a screwdriver while maintaining its autonomy
There are situations when you have to work in the absence of electricity. To power a screwdriver without a 220 network is possible in several available ways. In such cases, if the battery of the device is faulty, and alteration from the mains is impossible, there are several ways to activate the wrench:
- Replace the battery cells inside the battery with new ones purchased from radio parts.
- Using an external rechargeable power source such as a UPS battery.
- Connected and powered by car battery.
It is important to remember that any rework requires technical skills and safety.
Mounting the finished power supply in the old battery case
If it was possible to purchase a power supply unit with corresponding indicators on the market, installation and alteration is carried out in several simple steps:
- Dismantle the old battery housing, remove the spent elements.
- Install a new power supply so that it fits snugly against the case, if necessary, you can glue, connect high voltage wires (output from a 220 volt outlet).
- Connect the low voltage terminals to the power supply of the wrench electric motor, in the absence of contacts, the wires will have to be re-soldered.
- Assemble the body after rework and install the unit on the screwdriver.
Mounting the finished power supply in the old battery case
It must be remembered that compact power supplies are heated in an enclosed space, therefore several holes must be drilled on different sides of the case for ventilation.
Connecting the screwdriver to the charger
It must be understood that at low voltage there are losses in the cable, so it must have a cross-section of at least 2.5 mm, and a length of no more than 1.5 meters. In order to figure out whether it is possible to connect a screwdriver to the charger, you need to perform a number of actions.
The sequence of alteration for power supply from the charger:
- Solder and redo the wires to the charger, usually the contacts are located in a prominent place, one is responsible for the plus, the second for the mass. When working, the charger must be disconnected from the network.
- Then you need to disassemble the unusable battery, dismantle the old elements;
- A hole is drilled in the case for the cable, for a tight connection, the cable is wrapped with electrical tape or fixed with a thermal shrink tape.
- For a balanced weight, a piece of dense wood or rubber must be placed in the remaining space, this will contribute to a competent weight distribution and the hand will not get tired during work.
- The final step is to solder the wires to the power supply of the electric drive, assemble the body of the power tool after alteration.
Replacing old elements
When purchasing new battery cells in radio components, it is necessary to check their capacity and voltage on the spot.
- Unscrew the screws securing the case, remove the cover and old battery cells.
- Place new cells soldered together into the battery case.
- Assemble in the reverse order, after alteration test the work.
When soldering, you must act quickly, otherwise overheating of the battery can cause an unusable condition due to temperature changes.
Homemade power supply
When working with a soldering iron, it is necessary to check the connection to the network of the battery cells and the self-made unit, if there is a connection, all power sources must be disconnected for safe operation.
The alteration works are performed step by step, to obtain the result, you need a little experience when soldering and installing boards:
- Dismantling and dismantling the old battery case;
- In accordance with the diagram, install the elements on the circuit board, solder the contacts and connections.
- After soldering, check the output voltage with a multimeter.
- Assemble the board to the battery case.
- Connect appropriate wires to the instrument’s low voltage outputs.
- Check operation by connecting the converted device to the network.
DIY screwdriver alteration
There are enough craftsmen in everyday life of the household, there are many ways how to convert a screwdriver to mains power. It is enough to provide the required voltage for the electric drive of the device.
Exploded view of the cordless screwdriver
In some cases, for alteration, it is enough to use the charger from the kit, it is available, because Supplied complete with screwdriver. It is quite simple to remake such a structure, it is enough to disassemble the screwdriver, connect the output contacts on the charger with the drive wires. The voltage produced by the charger after the alteration corresponds to the technical characteristics of the drive, there is no need to worry about the safety of the electrical part. It is also worth noting that there is no need to disassemble the device completely, because Only the wires designated for use need to be connected. A significant drawback is the size of the charger, it is not convenient to constantly move it during work and it causes discomfort.
The power supply of the screwdriver can be achieved by several types of blocks. The body accommodates some of them, the rest are outside.
There are many ways to alter a cordless screwdriver, all have pros and cons.
- A place for the finished power supply is organized in the case of the old battery. The alteration is simple, no intervention in the electrical circuit is required, it is enough to carefully perform the work, to achieve a perfect appearance. The disadvantages are the time spent searching for a block with the appropriate voltage and size. Also, small devices usually heat up in an enclosed space, it is necessary to provide the device with ventilation by making holes in the case.
- Installing a homemade energy source is a more complex solution, it requires finding the necessary radio parts and understanding the circuit. The advantages of this method of alteration are low financial costs, no losses when using a low voltage cable, no changes in the appearance of the device.
- An external power supply unit can be used when working in one place, since the device’s mobility and compactness are lost. Also, there are costs for finding a suitable voltage for the electric drive of the screwdriver.
- The most common external type device is a computer power supply. The advantages are that it is easy to find it on disassembly for a reasonable price, there are no complicated rework processes. However, the bulky design will not be to everyone’s taste.
Connecting to an external power supply
An external battery is used when compact elements are inaccessible or the need for continuous operation of the tool.
Cordless screwdriver connected to an external power supply
It is worth remembering the steps during disassembly or taking pictures, since intervention and alteration of the electric circuit of the screwdriver is performed, the assembly will need to be done exactly in the reverse order.
Connecting to the power supply from a computer
Screwdriver connected to the computer‘s power supply
These PSUs are distinguished by the presence of their own cooling system, protection against voltage surges. Only two output wires are used for connection, yellow. 12 volts “plus”, black ground.
It is possible to attach a handle for mobility. It is important to understand that cordless screwdrivers with a required voltage of more than 14.4 volts will not work from this method of supplying energy.
How to remake a cordless screwdriver
The cordless screwdriver is used everywhere, both in the household and in small industries. Mobility and autonomy allow you to perform work away from the electrical network for a certain time. The battery has a certain number of charge cycles, after which it is not suitable for further use. There are several reasons, the battery is a very capricious element that breaks down even if not properly stored and inactive. The high price of a screwdriver prompts you to learn how to convert a cordless screwdriver into a network.
How to disconnect the power supply
Before installing a new power supply, you must disconnect the old device from its place. This is done very simply. The power supply itself is located in the upper part of the system unit, often at its end. If you remove the cover from the case, you can see that many wires go to the power supply. You can remove the power supply as follows:
First, be sure to disconnect the power supply from the mains by removing the wire from it. We also recommend to wait 3-4 minutes after that so that the accumulated electricity dissipates and does not harm the computer components when the power supply is disconnected;
This can be considered the power supply shutdown completed.
How to connect the power supply to the computer
The power supply can be called the “heart of the computer”, because without it even the most sophisticated “hardware” will not work. It powers the motherboard, card, processor, hard drive and all other components. Power supplies differ from each other in power, and with a systematic update of the computer hardware, it may be necessary to replace the power supply. This is easy to do, but many users are intimidated by the abundance of wires that go directly from the power supply itself. There is nothing complicated in them, and below we will take a closer look at how to remove the old power supply unit, install a new one in its place and which of the wires serves what.
How to connect the power supply to the computer
Connecting the power supply to a computer is almost the same as disconnecting, but in the reverse order. It is important here to correctly connect all the wires coming from the power supply to the necessary connectors. Consider sequentially connecting the power supply:
- First of all, it must be carefully placed in the case of the system unit in place of the old power supply. It is extremely important here not to drop the power supply on the motherboard and other components. Better to put the computer on its side and carefully install the unit;
- Next, screw the power supply unit to the back of the computer case with screws, fixing it securely;
- Next, proceed to connecting the wires to the appropriate connectors. Consider the wires that are found in almost every power supply:
- 6 or 8 detachable wire. Serves to power the card. It is not always used, since some low-power cards can work without additional power supply;
When all connectors are connected, you can turn on the computer. Make sure the switch on the power supply itself is in the On position. If all connectors are connected correctly, the computer should start up. If this does not happen, check that the connectors are connected correctly and make sure that they are all securely fastened.