How to connect the primer on a Partner chainsaw
What is the primer in a chainsaw
Good afternoon dear subscribers and guests of the channel! The idea to write an article on primer appeared when I got a Husqvarna 240 for repair. Remember the article. “I can do it myself”. as some owners repair chainsaws.
In this article, I wrote how the owner of the saw by himself changed the carburetor and primer at the same time. When I was inspecting the chainsaw I noticed right away that the primer was not installed correctly and that’s why I decided to tell you, maybe someone will find the information useful.
How to install it correctly
The primer has two outlets for chainsaw hoses. precisely, one of them is an inlet and the other one is an outlet. The inlet should be connected to the carburetor. Outlet to the return hose going into the tank.
the moment you press the primer, the fuel is squeezed out of it into the tank, then the valve on the outlet closes and due to the rarefaction in the primer, through the inlet nozzle the fuel flows into the carburettor.
As a rule, the outlet pipe is longer, the inlet pipe is shorter. Connection is better to start with the inlet pipe, it allows you to check the performance of the primer, at least I do so.
After primer is connected to the carburetor inlet pipe, you can push it a few times until gasoline starts to flow from the outlet pipe. This is what tells you that the primer is installed correctly.
about each part of the chainsaw
Diagram of a two-stroke engine with a double diameter piston.
The most common chainsaws use a two-stroke engine with one cylinder. It works together with a flywheel, a special clutch, an ignition element and a sleeve to fix the structure. Such an engine has a speed of about 13000 rpm. Because of this, there are high requirements for the oil that is added to the fuel mixture.
The chainsaw is fitted with a centrifugal clutch that engages automatically according to the engine speed. At low speeds, the elements with special pads, which are free in the radial direction, will be drawn to the central part of the shaft by springs and will not transfer the rotation to the drum, which is connected to the star from the chain. When the RPM reaches the values at which the centrifugal force exceeds the spring force, the pads will be pressed against the outer base of the drum and begin to scroll the drum. After that, the driving star will begin to crank, which drives the chain. The star is located behind the clutch or on the outside of the latter.
The main advantage of this type of clutch is that if the chain gets stuck, the clutch of the gasoline tool will slip without stalling the engine or creating malfunctions of the devices that transfer motion from the engine to the chain.
info about ignition and carburettor
The workflow of a two-stroke engine.
Contact ignition, which was previously used in fixtures complete with a gasoline-powered engine, is no longer in demand. Designs from the best manufacturers are equipped with electronic ignition, which saves users the hard work of adjusting the gap in the contacts and constantly cleaning them.
A modern ignition system consists of such elements as:
The handwheel will rotate and initiate an electromotive force in the module, which is converted by the circuitry into the necessary signals. Similar signals are then fed to the spark plug. A spark will appear between the contacts, igniting the working mixture.
The chainsaw carburetor is necessary to ensure the smooth operation of the engine.
The carburetor is an important part of the power tool. Together with the ignition, it will be able to ensure that the engine runs smoothly. With its help, you can prepare a fuel-air mixture, the quality of which will depend on the ease of starting, power and smooth operation of the power tool. Most often, manufacturers of such saws use carburetors of the most common brands.
The carburetor has a choke that allows the mixture to be leaner or richer depending on the working conditions. To make fine adjustments, several screws should be used, with which the engine speed and idle speed are adjusted. In the upper part of the carburetor there is an air filter, which cleans the incoming air.
Chainsaw fuel system
In the simplest version, the fuel system consists of a tank of about 0.5 liters, a fuel filter and a hose that will deliver the fuel to the carburetor. Such a tank volume is enough for about 35-40 minutes, given that the power of the chainsaw is 2 kW, and the fuel consumption. no more than 1.2 l / hour. This is the flow rate at maximum load.
Fuel system: 1. fuel filter, 2. carburettor, 3. manual priming pump.
In order that in the process of fuel consumption the tank could fill with air and no negative pressure is formed in it, a breather is made in the lid, which closes the hole. If this fixture gets clogged with dirt, the gasoline tool will shut down. You should be aware that when pressurized, the fuel will not be able to get into the carburetor.
From the tank the fuel will be pumped out through the hose, which is loosely hanging in the tank. Its free movement is provided so that the hose is always in the tank. A filter is attached to the inlet element. The fuel will be pumped by the pumping structure inside the carburetor.
To make starting easier, some chainsaw designs are equipped with mechanical premature primer pumps. If you start the power tool with primer, the carburetor will fill with fuel first, and the excess fuel will flow back into the tank. As a result, the engine will start faster because the carburetor will be filled with fuel. If there is no primer, the carburettor is filled with fuel by the starter motor.
Air purging system
During operation, the engine of the power tool uses the working mixture, which is formed in the carburetor. To avoid dirty air entering the structure, it should be cleaned with filters. Such filters may consist of several elements. A snow filter will prevent snow from entering the air-cleaning system, it is only used during the winter. At high temperatures the construction should be dismantled.
In some cases, the air is cleaned using centrifugal forces. The air flow is swirled by the flywheel impeller and then the impurities are blown away from the intake spigot that leads to the installed filter. Filters of this type can be made of special foam rubber, nylon mesh and other materials.
The air in the area of the gasoline tool can become contaminated with sawdust as it operates. Too much contamination of the filtration device can reduce the amount of air that enters the carburetor. This can result in an enriched mixture and reduce the power of the power tool. That’s why the filter must be cleaned constantly. Cleaning is not only necessary when disassembling the tool for repair purposes, but much more often. After each prolonged operation, it is recommended that the structure be cleaned. The method of cleaning will depend on the filter material: in most cases, blowing or flushing is used.
A similar element is used to start the construction by turning the shaft. The mixture that is fed into the engine will be compressed between the piston and the cylinder head. This kind of mixture ignites when a spark occurs, causing the engine to start.
If you pull the crank up sharply, the drum’s ratchet engages with the teeth that are located on the shaft. The crankshaft will then crank. If you release the handle, the return spring will return it to its original position.
How to use a chainsaw
Using the chainsaw correctly is important to avoid injury. The best way to know how to operate a chainsaw is in its manual. Hold the chainsaw firmly with both hands and all fingers.
How to start your chainsaw correctly
Before you start your chainsaw you should engage the chain brake and remove the guide bar guard.
- Press the decompression valve control button, if there is one;
- Engage the throttle trigger
- Place the saw on the ground with your right foot on the back handle and your left hand around the front handle;
- pull the starter handle until the engine starts;
- Press the mode lever and push it until the saw starts to work;
- Increase the idle speed and turn off the chain brake.
How to Saw with a Chainsaw
To use your chainsaw correctly, you should follow some basic guidelines:
- Keeping the saw close to your body helps keep your balance.
- Spread your legs wide and bend at the knees.
- Keep your back straight.
- Before moving to a new location, you must turn off the engine by activating the brake.
Overalls can help protect you from accidental cuts. You must have a protective helmet and mask on your head, you need thick gloves for your hands, a padded suit for your body, and sturdy shoes for your feet.
Chainsaws with a primer, which is a rubber transparent bubble, are, by definition, faster and easier to start than chainsaws without that very primer.
But I will say this. professional devices often do not have them, and professional sawyers consider this detail unnecessary in the design of a chainsaw.
A chainsaw with a primer should be started by pumping it in a few clicks, but if it is absent the chain saw starts without this procedure.
The way to start a cold chain saw is as follows:
Turn on the ignition, close the choke, a few vigorous (not sharp!) pull the starter motor with a few strokes until the first spark occurs, open the choke shutter and start the chain saw, let it run for a few minutes to warm up. then start working.
In addition, the primer helps very controversially in the start of gasoline saws, for me it is generally there or not a difference or what a relief is not felt, so this rubber, can at the most inopportune moment simply flow and gasoline saw is not used will not work, so always need to carry a small condom on the primer, otherwise having come to the country to file wood, you can just roll gasoline for a trip back and forth to the store for this small rubber, that he was a primer.
Not counting the above-mentioned nodes on chainsaws there is a system of cleaning the air supplied to the carburetor, the bar with the saw chain, starter, chain tensioning mechanism, ignition, muffler, etc.
The main malfunctions of the Partner 350 chain saw
The most common cause of tool failure is related to malfunctions in the engine or other components and systems. Any troubleshooting requires disassembly. To do it right, you need to know the design features of the chainsaw and the main causes of its failure.
Checking the ignition system
First of all, with any chainsaw malfunction, you should inspect the spark plug. To do this, first disconnect the wire, and then with a special wrench unscrew the spark plug itself. According to its appearance, you can understand the cause of the problem:
- A chainsaw spark plug covered with soot indicates the use of low-quality oil, an incorrect oil to gasoline ratio during fuel preparation or a poorly adjusted carburetor. If so, clean the spark plug with a needle or awl, wash and sand the electrodes.
- If the spark plug is heavily spattered with fuel, the carburetor is most likely misadjusted or the tool start rules were violated. To remove excess fuel, shut off the fuel supply, engage the starter and check the combustion chamber. After that, the candle is wiped, screwed into place, and the mechanism is started again.
- A completely dry spark plug indicates that the fuel mixture is not getting into the chainsaw cylinder. In this case, the cause of the failure is not in the ignition system, so the spark plug is put back.
To check the performance of the spark plug, you need to put the ignition cable on it, connect the cylinder and spark plug nut with pliers, and start the starter. If there is no spark, then the spark plug must be replaced.
Repair of your chainsaw‘s fuel system
There may be several reasons why the fuel-air mixture does not enter the cylinder:
- clogged fuel filter;
- clogged hole in the fuel tank cap (breather plug);
- Not enough fuel;
- Improperly adjusted carburetor;
- Clogged ducts or a ruptured carburetor diaphragm.
To diagnose a clogged filter or breather, you simply disconnect the hose and see how the fuel flows. Fuel should come out of the tank at a good pressure. If it is intermittent and weak, then the filter should be pulled out through the throat of the tank and rinse or replace, and clean the breather with a needle.
The chainsaw carburetor is a fairly complex device, equipped with many small parts. That is why it is better to entrust its disassembly and repair to specialists.
If just the carburetor filter is clogged, it can be carefully removed, shaken out, washed with detergents and put back in place.
With your own hands, you can only adjust the carburetor. This is done with three screws strictly according to the instructions.
In some cases the engine starts to stall and smoke at high revs. At the same time at low revs it works fine. The most likely cause is that the muffler is clogged with combustion products. To eliminate this malfunction, the muffler is removed, disassembled and cleaned of carbon deposits with detergents. After that you need to dry it with a hair dryer and put it back.
While the muffler is removed, the saw’s exhaust port should be covered with a clean cloth.
Repair of piston-cylinder group
In this group of problems occurs quite seldom. If any element is broken, it is most often replaced with a new one.
The main faults of the cylinder-piston group
- Engine power may be lost due to low (about 5 atm) cylinder pressure. To measure it, you need a special manometer, called a compression gauge. Normal cylinder working pressure is 8-9 atm.
- If hot gases are emitted in the engine crankcase, most likely the piston rings are stuck.
- Loss of pressure and blow-out of gases through gaps can indicate the destruction of the cylinder head gaskets. These need to be replaced.
Faults in the fuel system are also quite often the main reason that does not allow the chainsaw to operate as efficiently as possible. First of all it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel mixture.
Some owners prefer to use not the recommended brand of gasoline, and alcohol-containing solutions, or add oil more than required.
Gasoline leaks from the chainsaw
If gasoline drips periodically appear on the body of the chainsaw, it is necessary to check the tightness of the fuel tank. Over time, it can become cracked. Or the gasket is “cured” and can no longer perform its direct function.
If full-blown gasoline streams appeared, there’s a good chance you’ll have to replace the burst hose connecting the carburetor and the fuel tank.
No gasoline in chainsaw cylinder
There are several reasons why the fuel mixture stopped flowing into the cylinder:
The chainsaw does not hold idle speed
In this case you should start looking for the problem with the filter elements. In most cases, it is because of a decrease in the flow capacity of the air and gasoline filters that the idling speed begins to “float”.
READ How to install drivers on a kanon mf 3010 printer
If there is nothing wrong with the filters, you should check the components of the gasoline system, and make sure there are no spontaneous changes in the carburetor settings.
What happens if you swap the hoses?
If you swap the hoses, the fuel movement will go in the opposite direction.е. through the return hose, primer and only then into the carburetor. And the pump will squeeze the fuel into the carburetor under slight pressure and as a result, the gasoline will go through the main fuel injector to the diffuser and further to the cylinder and air filter And this will make it much more difficult to start the tool.
Dear readers, do not forget to put a mark and subscribe to the channel not to miss the latest publications. See you soon!
Except for listed units on chainsaws there is an air cleaning system, bar with a chain, starter motor, chain tensioning mechanism, ignition, muffler, etc.
The chainsaw engine has the maximum rpm at about 13500 rpm. This imposes stringent requirements with respect to the oil that is added to the fuel mixture.
At low speed, the friction elements (1) that have degrees of freedom in a circular direction are drawn to the center of the shaft by the springs (2) and do not transmit the rotation to the drum (3) that is connected to the sprocket that drives the chain. When the chainsaw engine speed reaches a value at which the centrifugal force exceeds the force of the springs, the friction segments press against the inner surface of the drum and begin to turn it. The sprocket that drives the chain starts to rotate.
As you can see in the photo the sprocket is behind the clutch.
On other chainsaws, the sprocket can be on the outside of the clutch.
The main advantage of clutches of this type will be that when the chain jams, the chainsaw clutch slips, without stopping the engine and without causing damage to the devices that transmit motion from the motor to the chain.
Electric ignition chainsaw contains flywheel (1) with integrated magnets, ignition module (2) with an electric circuit, spark plug (3) and the highest voltage wire (4). A rotating flywheel with magnets induces in the module e.д.с., converted by an electrical circuitry into electronic signals which are fed to the spark plug. As a result, a spark flashes between the contacts of the latter, igniting the air-fuel mixture.
Below is a diagram of another chainsaw carburetor.
Carburetors have a throttle valve, which can lean or enrich the mixture, depending on the criteria. For the narrow option has a number of screws, which are used to adjust the low and high engine speeds, as well as the idle speed. An air filter is mounted on top of the carburettor to clean the air entering.
So that as the fuel consistency is used up, the fuel tank is filled with air and no negative pressure is created in it, which will not allow the fuel to flow from it into the carburetor, and at the same time, so that no fuel flows out of the air hole, a breather is made in the cover covering the filler hole. And by the way, if the breather is clogged with mud, the chainsaw will stall.
The carburetor on a Partner 351 chain saw. from setup to adjustment
The Partner 351 chain saw requires repetitive inspection and maintenance for long life and trouble-free operation. Among its modules, which can be coped with adjustment without assistance from others, the main importance is the carburetor: the correct setting of this node is needed for the effective operation of the mechanism. To understand its purpose, construction and maintenance will help this article.
Pulling the chainsaw trigger should increase the engine speed from idle to maximum power smoothly and quickly. If the rpm setting is delayed, the L screw must be turned counterclockwise by less than 45 degrees on the circumference.
Adjusting the carburetor
The Partner 351 chain saw has several operating devices that require repeated inspection and maintenance. One of them is the carburetor.
Carry out the repair of the carburetor of a chainsaw Partner 351 with their own hands is not recommended, but perform a small adjustment can be. There are two main failures, which can be removed by the carburetor option means with their own hands:
- Scrolling of the chain during idling of the engine. Adjustment screw should be used to eliminate the malfunction. At first turn it all the way clockwise. Then make 4.5 turns counterclockwise. The fault should disappear.
- Incorrect supply of fuel consistency. There may be several circumstances. From unbalancing the adjusting screws to carburetor parts breakage. In any case the adjustment follows the same pattern.
For the carburetor option is foreseen three adjustment screws: L. for high RPM, H. for low RPM, T. idle stroke of a chainsaw Partner 351.
- Adjustment begins with the T screw. To do this, start the saw and turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until the chain stops, then turn it clockwise until the chain stops rotating.
- Then turn the L screw a quarter of a turn counterclockwise. During adjustment at idle should be the largest turns.
- Screw H should be turned a quarter of a turn counterclockwise.
After performing these manipulations, the tachometer is taken, and the revolutions are checked. They should be very consistent with the rpm indicated in the certificate of the Partner 351 chainsaw. If you still dared to adjust the carburetor chainsaw Partner 351 with his hands, we advise to read the article about tuning the carburetor on the chain saw. Article of general nature, contains all the necessary information and is very helpful to you in this unorthodox process.
How to adjust the carburetor on a chainsaw?
The adjustment of the carburetor is to set the nozzle and the air valve so as to obtain the optimum ratio of air and fuel in the fuel mixture.
If there is a lot of air in the fuel mixture and a lack of fuel, the mixture is lean, and therefore the engine power is reduced.
If there is a lot of fuel and a lack of air. the mixture is oversaturated, there is incomplete combustion of fuel, which leads to smoke, soot on the piston and in the exhaust pipe and increased fuel consumption.
How to properly adjust the carburetor?
Let’s take the Partner chainsaw carburetor adjustment as an example.
For adjustment you need a slotted screwdriver and a tachometer, which allows you to measure the engine RPM.
Adjustment is carried out in the following sequence:
- adjustment of the chainsaw carburetor at low rpm;
- adjustment at maximum rpm;
- fine tuning for work at idle RPM;
- Checking the operation of the saw in all modes.
Start after the engine has been running and warmed up.
Adjustment of the chainsaw is carried out with the help of three adjustment screws on its body:
If the carburettor is completely out of adjustment and the engine won’t start, turn the L and H debugging screws to their normal setting: first turn them all the way in, then half a turn out.
Start the engine and let it warm up, then adjust the RPM with the L and T screws.
To do this, turn the L screw out until the engine reaches maximum RPM and then turn it in ¼ turn; use the T screw to set the idle speed.
Instruction for starting the chain saw
The Partner 351 chainsaw works on the same principles and is similar to other gasoline-powered tools:
- Before first use, all the parts of the Partner 351 chain saw must be securely tightened and the integrity of the chain saw body must be checked.
- Before each start-up, check the tension in the chain. If necessary, the chain is tensioned or tensioned with the thumbwheel.
- Check the oil level before each start-up.
- Start the chain saw only from a firm surface. The foot must press the tool firmly to the ground.
- Before starting, the damper is put in the “open” position.
- The starter button is pushed to the “on” position.”After that press the primer bulb 5 times and pull the starter cord. The main thing is to start the chain saw smoothly, without jerking.
- Allow the engine to idle for 60 seconds after starting. Then you can go to work, adjusting the power with the throttle.
The owner’s manual recommends the following maintenance
- Cleaning the air filter. Remove the air filter cover by loosening the fastening screws. Pull out the filter element, wash it in clean water and soap and let it dry completely. Put all the elements in place.
- Fuel filter. Take the filter out of the reservoir and then install a new one, inserting the end of the filter into the opening in the reservoir. add the new fuel oil after the work is completed.
- Spark plug. It is necessary to muffle the engine, remove the head, which fixes the air filter cover, disconnect the high-voltage wire, unscrew the spark plug and install a new one in its place.
- Spark arrester shield. It is necessary to dismantle the muffler, remove the mounting screw, throw away the worn screen and install a new one.
Partner 351 chainsaw malfunctions and repair features
Despite the absence of design flaws, and this modification quite often fails. This is preceded by:
- Failure to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for use, care and maintenance;
- purchase of low-quality consumables and spare parts;
- Inadequate technical support, including.ч. by users who are servicing the saw for the first time.
The main breakdowns that can occur during the use of a chainsaw are:
- Muffler clogging. saw doesn’t work well under load, smokes while working. Repair begins with the dismantling of the muffler, after which it is washed, dried and set in place;
- Cylinder-piston group problems. it will be difficult to fix them with your own hands: you will need special equipment and new spare parts;
- gassing of the crankcase, which was a consequence of wear of the piston ring. a spare part that should always be in stock;
- Fuel supply failure is the result of a dirty fuel filter that can be washed at home;
- clogged carburettor or factory reset. you need to reset and clean it to stabilize performance.
Partner 350 chainsaw. model specifications
The Partner chain saw achieves its high performance in the garden thanks to its good factory settings.
Technical specifications of the garden tool include:
- factory engine power. 1.8 hp. с./1.3 kW;
- Standard forged cylinder capacity. 36 cm3;
- engine idle speed of 4,000 rpm;
- fuel tank capacity. 400 ml;
- Oil reservoir capacity. 200 ml;
- Recommended tire length. 40 cm;
- 3/8″ saw chain pitch;
- weight. 4.7 kg.
The Partner chain saw makes very little noise and vibration during use. Noise pressure to the operator is 108 dB or less when the motor is running at maximum speed.
Chain brake adjustment
Chain brake often does not work because the brake band and the space under the cover is clogged with grease or sawdust. All parts should be cleaned of blockages. It is possible that the belt is simply worn out, in which case it needs to be replaced.
Chain brake operation can be restored by mechanical cleaning
Some chain saw parts wear out quicker than others. These include drive sprocket, bar, chain, anti-vibration elements. For quick replacement parts, it is best to always have a spare part on hand. Chain sharpening should not be neglected.
Tire, chain, chain brake and grease
Once both chains have worn down, the drive sprocket needs to be replaced. Using a worn sprocket affects the life of the crankshaft bearings and causes the chain to vibrate more quickly. It is a good idea to turn the bobbin as its working area wears out.
The cause of poor brake operation may be excessive contamination of the space under the cover or general wear and tear of the band spring. It is also common for the clutch to collapse from overheating when the brake is actuated and the entire assembly must be replaced.
Lack of lubrication on the chain can cause clogging of the oil pump ducts, it needs to be washed in gasoline and cleaned with a fishing line. If you get too much oil during operation, you need to tighten the oil pump adjustment screw a little. There are times when the chain is dry when running, and when it’s just oozing oil under the clutch. This means that the oil hose is leaking and should be replaced.