How to control the ignition on a power tiller. Self-checking magneto for a power tiller
How to set the ignition on a Cascade power tiller
The ignition system of a power tiller is an important element of an agricultural machine. Its job is to create a spark to ignite the fuel.
From time to time it is necessary to repair the ignition of the motoblock due to improper operation or wear of the main parts of the node. The breakage should be repaired as quickly as possible to prevent wear of other parts and systems.
How to set the ignition on a motorblock?
Adjustment of ignition may be necessary if you have to repeatedly yank the starter rope or the engine does not start immediately, but with a delay.
It is necessary to perform the following steps:
- Put an angle piece on the spark plug. The housing is securely pressed against the cylinder head, the element is rotated to the other side of the hole on the cylinder head;
- The crankshaft turns. You need to pull the starter rope a couple of times. When pulling the cable, there should be a noticeable blue spark that leaps between the electrodes;
- If there is no spark, check the clearance from the flywheel to the starter. Optimal distance of 0.1 millimeters.
So, installing the ignition will not take more than half an hour. If you perform simple manipulations correctly and in time, you can prevent the wear and tear of other parts and systems of the power harvester at high loads.
What to do if there is no spark on your power tiller??
Causes of ignition system malfunctions in most cases are related to the spark plugs. Often the spark plug becomes oversaturated from excessive engine oil. By getting on the part, it prevents the appearance of the spark.
When you have lost the spark, you need to act as follows:
- Unscrew the spark plug with a special key. The element is turned and gently removed; the o-ring must also be unscrewed;
- If the spark plug is dry, it indicates that fuel is not being supplied to the motor cylinder;
- If the candle is too wet, this indicates an overabundance of engine oil. The candle is wiped, the cylinder is dried. To this end, the starter rope is tightened;
- If there is hard fouling on the plugs, you can use gasoline and coarse sandpaper to clean it.
Such manipulations can be performed on a diesel motoblock and on gasoline models. It is important to perform all actions as carefully as possible, without damaging the part.
Magneto for the power tiller
Magneto on a single axle tractor on the principle of work is similar to the ignition coil. is responsible for the appearance of the spark.
Check the magneto motoblock can be as follows:
- The cap is removed from the top of the plug and a nail is inserted. All manipulations must be carried out as carefully as possible so that after rechecking the candle can be reassembled in place;
- The nail is placed seven millimeters from the cylinder of the unit;
- The spark plug is returned to its standard position and the engine of the motoblock is started;
- A spark must be produced during start-up. At the same time, it will be strong, with a blue tint. If the spark is different in parameters, this indicates that the problem is not corrected.
When checking the magneto, it is important to follow the following rules:
- the spark plug is not fully unscrewed. This can provoke a loss of compression, the flywheel will rotate much faster;
- This method is ineffective if an electronic ignition system is installed. Problems can also arise with the key components of the system;
- The distance between the nail in the spark plug cap and the cylinder varies and depends on the specific design of the machine.
How to check the ignition coil on a power tiller?
The ignition coil on the motorblock promotes the appearance of a spark that ignites the fuel. The presented scheme allows to get acquainted with the principle of its formation. The ignition can be non-contact (first photo) or contact (second photo) depending on how it works.
Briggs & Stratton Small Engine On-Off Switch Wire Replacement 695814
Initially, the coil is inspected. There may be cracks, dents and other damage of the mechanical type. If the coil structure is intact, you need to look for another cause of the malfunction.
The following problems can occur:
- Measuring the resistance data of the coil. In this case, you need to have an idea of the key parameters in which this resistance occurs;
- Use a device to determine the spark. The cost of such a device is quite high;
- spark plug is used. It is unscrewed and applied to the cylinder. Next, pull the starter rope and watch the spark.
The above methods should be used if it is impossible to ask for qualified help. During operation, it is important to ensure that there is no electric shock.
To perform the repair is quite possible with your own hands, following simple tips. To facilitate the work, you can view a video tutorial.
For power tillers of such brands as Neva, Ural, Agro, Zubr, Salyut, Mole, Kaskad, MTZ and Honda, the actions in tuning are completely identical.
The main faults of power tillers
You do not have the same power ratings as a gasoline engine, and the difference between diesel and gasoline engines is as follows. For the first, the normal figure is 4000 m / h, but the latter can provide only 1500 m / h. Nevertheless, diesel models of power tillers are not in high demand. For both at purchase and in use they cost much more. So you most likely work with a power tiller, equipped with a gasoline (carburetor) engine.
All breakdowns that can arise during the operation of agricultural mini machines can be divided into two conventionally
- Malfunctions of the engine:
- problems with starting;
- Troubleshooting of other nodes and mechanisms:
- Improper operation of the clutch;
- Breakdowns in the gearbox;
- Problems with the undercarriage;
- Malfunctions of control and automatics;
- malfunctions of power tillage systems (cooling, lubrication, etc.).).
Much of the success of repairing a machine that has suddenly failed depends on proper diagnostics. As for the maintenance, it is carried out just in order to identify small faults, which will later lead to serious.
If you don’t have the necessary knowledge, space, tools and materials to service and repair the engine, entrust the work to an expert!
Block: 2/7 | Character number: 1287
No spark: how to fix the problem
For ignition in the ignition system, all elements must be serviceable. Lack of spark is considered the most common problem. Among the different options are two of the most common: either the spark plug is fouled or the spark plug is not serviceable.
There can be several reasons for the lack of spark
The first action is to unscrew the spark plug. After that, it is required to inspect it, including the electrodes of the lateral and central type. If there is fouling, then, in addition to cleaning, it is necessary to check the entire fuel system of the motoblock. Also a common mistake is to use the wrong fuel and oil, which leads to fouling and plugging.
Among the fuels for gasoline engines can be used both 92 and 80 gasoline. The main point is to use quality and suitable oil.
A number of power tillers do not require oils, but for all-season work it is worth using seasonal oil. For example, the recommended mineral type 4TD STANDARD SAE 30 for summer, and 4TD ULTRA SAE 5W-30 for winter.
How to check the ignition coil on a power tiller?
Most often the test of this important element of the ignition of a motor-block is carried out with a known working test sample. If during testing it turned out that with the installation of the sample everything started to work as it should, it means that the original ignition coil of the motor-block is defective
However, not everyone has a test sample at hand. If it is not available, then you should try to check the built-in coil in other ways. Before you do this, you need to rule out any breakdowns that may appear in the start button and high-voltage wiring. In addition, the user should carefully study the wiring diagrams that indicate the location of the ignition system elements.
measuring the resistance of the integrated ignition coil. It is worth noting that it is not always used by users of agricultural machinery. Firstly, the operator should know the exact parameters of the resistance created by the built-in coil. Secondly, in addition to the inductor coil, the ignition system is equipped with semiconductor components, which are necessary to generate the desired electrical impulse. Problems with all these elements can be identified only when they are heated. To properly check the ignition coil, you will need to disconnect the cap from it and the regular armature. Knowing precise parameters of the resistance of the built-in element, the operator can understand what part of the system is faulty; check the spark created by a special device. it should be connected to the point of electrical circuit interruption between the high-voltage wires of the standard coil and spark plug; test the coil with the spark plug built in the construction. to do this, unscrew the built-in spark plug and carefully put its body to the cylinder
Quick Tip #21 Bad Ground on Coil / Magneto, Causes Weak or No Spark
Then you must pull the starter handle and pay attention to the spark that forms between the spark plug factory contacts. It should be noted that this method of checking the available coil is approximate. the spark plug in this case is not under load, due to which there is no compression in the internal combustion engine cylinder
As a result, the standard flywheel of the motor will rotate faster.
Each of these methods gives approximate information about the condition of the ignition coil. It must be remembered that you can find the exact cause of the malfunction of the part with the use of specialized testers, which are only available in specialized workshops.
Breakdowns and ways to fix them
There are quite a few ignition system malfunctions. For this reason, the parts of the ignition system must be checked and adjusted regularly.
The main problem is the lack of spark. A spark should form during ignition. If it doesn’t, you need to check the whole ignition system. Lack of spark is possible with soot and also with the breakage of a spark plug. These faults are the most common.
If there is no spark, the spark plug is unscrewed and inspected. The side and center electrodes should be clean. In case of soot, it is worth not only to clean but also to check the fuel system for leakage of pipes. Clean the soot thoroughly. After the procedure, always wipe the spark plug with a dry cloth.
Don’t forget to check the magneto
Standard procedure when there is no spark:
- Remove (unscrew) the spark plug;
- the spark plug is heated over a gas burner or other heat source;
- from the surface is scraped off the soot and fuel residue;
- the tip is put on and the spark is checked, i.e. the electrode is located 1 mm from the engine body. The motor itself is started by hand at this time;
- with a functioning candle a spark will appear, if this does not happen, then goes to measure the distance between the side and the center electrode area;
- if the blade enters tightly into the gap, everything is within normal limits, if not, you need to tap the back of the central part of the electrode. This will help resize it;
- Next comes the secondary spark check.
Important! Immediately after checking the spark plug, check the magnetos.
Checking the magneto can be done in stages:
- The spark plug is cleaned and checked for proper operation;
- a small special cap is put on the end of the spark plug, which has a good actuator;
- the lower part of the spark plug is brought to the magneto body;
- the flywheel is turned by hand;
- if there is no spark, it will be necessary to replace the magneto with a working mechanism.
Replacement is mandatory, as it will not wear out the rest of the engine mechanisms.
The coil is checked using the standard system used for the magneto as well.
There are several signs of a faulty coil:
- No spark or actual weakness of the spark;
- odor, similar to melted plastic, at the location of the coil;
- cracking noise when trying to start the machine.
Any repair begins with a careful inspection. The initial step is to dismantle the mechanism. To do this, unscrew the mounting screws and remove the upper cover of the housing type. The high-voltage wire is disconnected. Only after that the coil itself is pulled out. The first inspection should reveal places of melting (black spots). Most often there is such a defect in contactless ignition.
A common cause of the lack of current flow to the spark plug is considered bad contact. Correction is regulated by stripping the wires. In some cases all cables need to be completely replaced.
Important! If the technique uses automatic (electronic) ignition, the wire disconnects itself with a special type of fuse.
With standard starting systems, including manual ones, you need to do the disconnecting of the wires yourself.
How to Properly Adjust the Ignition on the MotoBlock
How to set the ignition, it is necessary to produce a set of actions. On different makes of cars ignition setting has a few differences.
Spark plugs and wires “fly” infrequently. Usually, the whole issue is the adjustment of ignition, and often the problem occurs through the fault of the owners of cars that want to “improve” something in the work of the engine. However, it is no secret to anyone, you should not ennoble that well that normally works. Especially if you do not have adequate skills. It will only get worse.
Makes a big difference! Before you remove the tumbler, if necessary, take it and a chalk just mark the position where it was. This will greatly facilitate the work later.
- Remove the distributor cap.
- Adjust the ignition should be the first or fourth cylinder. A 13 mm wrench, a voltmeter and a spark plug wrench come in handy for this purpose. Although the technique of how to set the ignition, similar for at least any cylinder, usually it is still done by the example of the first.
- There are 3 strips-marks on the cover of the timing plate: middle, short and long. The small one is advanced by 10°, the middle one. by 5°, the long one. without advance.
- Unscrew the spark plug of the first cylinder. Our customer does not need to unscrew the spark plugs. One. The hole should be plugged with a rubber stopper (or at least a finger).
- Using the special key, turn the crankshaft to the beginning of the compression stroke in the first cylinder. An indicator that the compression stroke has begun, will be pushed out the plug.
- Turn the crankshaft until the mark on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the mark on the cap. For the 92nd or other 95th gasoline it is recommended to cooperate with the ordinary marking, if the 72nd and below, it is recommended to cooperate with the longish marking.
- Release the latches and remove the tumbler cover.
- Turn the crankshaft so that the outer contact of the rotor corresponds to the first cylinder (sequence: 1-3-4-2).
- Turn the distributor back, but do not tighten the nut all the way.
- Now there is an option to deal specifically with the question of how to adjust the ignition.
- Using a voltmeter, check the circuit: connect one end to the “low voltage” terminal, which gives the ignition coil, the 2nd. to “ground”. It is necessary firstly to make sure that the problem is not in the wires and the ignition coil itself is working.
- Switch on ignition. Slowly turn the distributor so that the voltage goes to zero. If it is zero, nothing needs to be done.
- Then turn the distributor until the voltage of 12 volt appears, and in this position already tighten the nut. It is possible to do it with the help of 12-volt bulb. The direction of current does not matter here.
- Switch off ignition. Put the tumbler cover.
How to set the beginning of fuel injection on a power tiller
Now you need to do a correctness check:
- Start the engine, drive in a straight line up to 45 km/h.
- Shift into fourth gear, sharply increase throttle. After 2-3 seconds, a “thumping” like a popping, humming, etc., occurs.п. It will disappear during acceleration.
- If the “beats” didn’t go away, it means that the ignition is very “early”, if it didn’t appear at all, it means that it is “late”. The ignition should be adjusted again. If passing early, turn it clockwise by one-second graduation, if later, counterclockwise.
- A fundamental point: when our client remains adjusted, stock up on paint (or at least chalk) to mark the adjusted middle position.
- Do not turn the pulley with the distributor removed! This will cause a complete knock out of all marks, and you will have to “adjust from scratch”.
In Russian cars at the end of the distributor should be noted 5 crescent marks of different sizes: one small, the other long. They need to be co-operated.
In foreign cars, in order to facilitate the adjustment, special hazards are used, which simply need to be co-operated. In these cases, figuring out how to set the ignition is much easier.
The principal difference between diesel and gasoline units is that there is no forced ignition. Just no spark plugs. The fuel is ignited by its compression in the cylinder. For this purpose it is necessary to have a clear injection work so that at the moment of compression the fuel and oxygen are already in the cylinder with a good percentage of fuel in the cylinder.
This adjustment of the ignition is similar, but with the preparatory removal of the decompression set.
Today, it comes in handy to remove the oil filler neck and motor meter.
The lever is set in the last position. By means of a momentoscope check the presence of the jet when turning the crankshaft. Injection timing must match the correct injection mark on the flywheel.
Changing the moment of fuel injection of a power tiller’s diesel engine
It should be understood that they are different units in their multifunctional capabilities. The difference between the motoblock and the motocultivator is that the latter is designed to perform work specifically with the land (for example, plowing), and a single-axle tractor is something universal. It works as a cultivator, but can also work as a pump, for example. a grass trimmer is a mower, in this case equipped with an internal combustion engine (electronic is more usual).
But their motor arrangement is actually the same. Accordingly, to regulate the ignition of a power tiller, power tiller (cultivator with internal combustion engine) and trimmer for grass, of course, on the same scheme. Their motor is the same. When, the motor of gasoline-powered electric stations is also designed similarly.
To adjust the ignition on your power harvester, simply adjust the gap.
Insert the paper folded in 4 times between the flywheel and the module mount, which is responsible for the ignition of the power tiller (you, this module is not dismantled), press a little and tighten the bolts fixing the module.
On the removed spark plug, a strong and steady spark should appear when turning the flywheel. What remains for our customer to do. Sometimes you need to adjust the gap with variations in sheet thickness. It is fundamental that after removing the sheet there is no friction.
How to set and adjust?
If your single axle tractor does not start well, it takes a long time to pull the starter cord or the engine reacts with a delay, most often you just need to set the ignition correctly. The procedure is described in the user manual of the machine. But what to do if you don’t have it handy and can’t remember where you put this handy booklet?
Correcting the ignition on a power tiller is often just a matter of adjusting the gap between the flywheel and the ignition module.
Cover the spark plug with an angle piece, press its housing against the cylinder head by turning this element of the ignition system in the opposite direction from the hole in the end of the cylinder. Turn the crankshaft. You can do this by pulling the starter cord. Finally a bluish spark should be struck between the electrodes. If you do not get a spark, check the gap between the starter and the flywheel magneto. It should be 0.1 to 0.15 mm. If the gap does not match the set value, it must be adjusted.
You can try doing the ignition setting by ear, especially if you have it pretty thin. This method is also called non-contact. To do this, start the engine, slightly loosen the distributor. Slowly turn the breaker to both sides. At maximum power and rpm, fix the design that determines the moment of spark formation, listen. When you turn the breaker, you should hear a clicking sound. After that, screw in the trambolt attachment.
Setting the ignition
Any technique with an ignition system requires special attention and periodic adjustment of the electronic unit. Otherwise the power tiller could fail prematurely. If the ignition system is not properly aligned, it can be adjusted by yourself. To do this, it is necessary to carefully read the circuit diagram of the unit design.
Adjustment of the ignition in the Mole motocultivator is considered to be performed correctly if the system creates a spark at a certain time and place. The upper cover of the magneto is responsible for the formation of the spark, and the lower part is responsible for the interruption.
This method of adjustment includes the following actions:
- Warm up the engine.
- Connect the stroboscope to the power tiller.
- On the high voltage wire of the cylinder connect the sound sensor.
- Now remove the vacuum hose and plug it.
- Light from the stroboscope should be directed towards the pulley.
- Start the engine at idle.
- Turn the tram switch and observe the pulley mark.
- When the marks on the cover and the pulley are aligned, fasten the distributor.
- Tighten the breaker nut.
Using the lamp
- Start the adjustment by turning the crankshaft. The marking on the pulley should line up with the notch on the timing plate. The ratchet should point to the high voltage lead on the cylinder.
- Then loosen the distributor nut.
- Take a bulb and connect it with one wire to “mass” and with another to the coil to create electric field.
- Switch on ignition.
- Turn the rocker switch clockwise until the light stops flashing.
- Then turn the mechanism in the opposite direction.
- At a certain point, the lamp should light up again.
- At this time, the distributor nut is tightened firmly.
Don’t forget safety precautions when installing the ignition on a single-axle tractor
From the spark
Everything starts in the same sequence as in the method with the lamp:
- Turn the crankshaft, compare the marks on the gas mechanism and the pulley. The runner should be turned toward the high voltage wire of the cylinder.
- Slightly loosen the distributor clutch nut.
- Take out the high voltage wire from under the system cover and place it 0.5 centimeters away from the engine.
- Turn the ignition on and turn the tumbler to 200.
- Then gently unscrew the mechanism in the opposite direction.
- There should be a spark between the wire and the ground on the power tiller.
- Now quickly tighten the chopper mounting nut to avoid possible ignition.
Other common problems when starting the engine
What to do if the engine of the power tiller is working irregularly and does not develop the necessary power? There may be several reasons for such behavior:
No air gets into the carburetor, which means that the fuel burns badly. the filter will have to be cleaned or replaced.
Fuel residue and combustion products build up a thick deposit on the internal walls of the silencer which must be removed.
In this case, the assembly must be removed, disassembled and all components properly cleaned. After that, the carburetor needs to be assembled and adjusted properly.
Temperatures and high loads do their job, and even the strongest metal will wear out and deform over time. These parts should be replaced immediately, otherwise you can pay for it with irreparable damages in the engine itself.
This problem is indicated by a lack of movement of the crankshaft when starting the engine. To replace the clutch housing and the ratchet, the starter assembly must be disassembled completely.
If the starter cord does not return to its original position, the starter needs to be adjusted. To do this, the screws are loosened and the position of the assembly is set by hand so as to ensure normal cord return.
Quite a common reason for the lack of a return stroke of the starting cord is the failure of the starter spring. it will have to be replaced.
Proper maintenance of all major components considerably increases the service life of any machine. Prompt replacement of worn parts is also of great importance. Therefore, if the slightest fault or malfunction occurs, correct it immediately. this will prevent much more serious and expensive problems in the long run.