How to correctly insert line into the spool of the grass trimmer
Automatic line winding on a spool
There is a type of reel in which the automatic mechanism winds on its own. from the user it is enough only to correctly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through a hole on the inner part of the body, its antennae without winding are passed through the hole on the outer body, the reel is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the fishing line inside is wound independently. In such a spool, it is impossible to make the winding wrong: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only turn in one direction.
HOW TO CHANGE STRIMMER LINE ON BOSCH ART 23 Lor is it trimmer?
a grass trimmer is a necessary and useful tool for a summer cottage and a private house. Many people own and actively use it, but not everyone knows how to replace the line in the trimmer, especially at first.
In this instruction, we will walk through the entire replacement process step by step. Looking ahead, there are two ways to line the trimmer spool. There is no fundamental difference. the difference lies in the fact that in the first case one line will be refueled, folded in half, and in the second there will be two such lines.
Winding the Line to the Grass Trimmer
Measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spool of the grass scythe makes it possible to go directly to the winding of the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- A bobbin with two line tendrils;
- Auto winding reel.
Trimmer head with two antennae
After removing the spool from the spool body, we determine the number of strands for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems. Due to the likelihood of interlacing adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the grass trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability. Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the grass trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
Method 2. two segments
fundamentally no different from the method The only difference is two wound pieces of fishing line, instead of one.
There are two special fixing sockets on the coil (see picture above).
They cling to it with a hook formed earlier on the fishing line, and begin to wind the fishing line.
Winding is carried out in a special order
The winding must be carried out in the following order: first the lower line, i.e. the one that is closer to the fixing holes at the bottom of the coil, and only then the top one, i.e. the one that will overlap the bottom section.
The tips are cut into the holes in the grass trimmer spool body. They are pulled up until they click, which means that the line has come out of the latches.
The tips are threaded into the holes in the grass trimmer spool body
The coil is fastened into the body. The line in the spool has been replaced.
Coil with two working tendrils
In this type of spool, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line, lying on the inside of the spool:
- one groove. both antennae are wound together in one groove;
- two grooves. each antenna is wound on an individual groove.
For both cases, a line with a length of 2-3 m is taken.In single-groove reels, the line is pulled into a through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, after which they are wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the rod side. inside the arrow usually indicates the correct direction of winding. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through them or held with the fingers of the free hand, they are threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is closed and attached to the trimmer bar.
The difference in line winding in double-groove spools is that initially a 2-5 m long line segment is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the fold loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound each along its own groove, fixing the antennae and assembling the coil is similar to the above option with one groove.
The first execution of this procedure, perhaps, will seem long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show how to thread the line into the spool of the grass trimmer and wind it correctly. this operation is not difficult and with some patience it will certainly be crowned with success:
HOW TO RESTRING ECHO WEEDWACKER
Preparation for winding the line
Before the winding process, it is necessary to remove the spool with line from the body. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three design types of trimmers:
This model provides the ability to install a knife. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To mount the trimmer knife, it is necessary to align the hole of the reel and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, the body can be easily unscrewed by hand in a clockwise direction.
How to wind the line onto the spool of the grass trimmer
A grass trimmer is a great solution for those who have a large garden or lawn near the house that needs to be constantly trimmed. But like any other tool, sometimes it requires intervention. After some time, it will become necessary to replace certain elements, and this will have to be learned.
How can this be done? To replace the main cutting element, you must first select it correctly. In principle, the instruction manual for brushcutters should indicate the diameter of the thread to be used in it.
When you have acquired the required cutting element, try to install it correctly. It should be noted that there are a huge number of videos on the Internet that will help you figure out how to properly thread the line into the reel of the grass trimmer.
Step-by-step instructions for threading the line into the grass trimmer
- Press the clips inward until they click and remove the cover from the mowing head.
- Turn the spool gently, it will free itself from the holder, and now remove it.
- Cut two identical pieces of line (the edge of the line should be cut at an angle to make the job easier). Take one of them and insert the end of the line into a special on the reel (there may be hooks, ears, clips). Then wind the string in the direction of the arrows. Spread the line evenly, tightly. Attach the end of the string to the specially provided hole in the reel.
- Do the same operation with the second part of the line, only thread the end on the spool from the opposite side.
- Return the line spool to the mowing head. Pull out the ends of the line through the holes in the spool and thread them into the special connector of the head.
- Spread out the line carefully and close the lid. Cut off excess fishing line, leaving 12-15 cm at each edge.
All is ready. the grass trimmer is loaded with line and ready to go. Now you can happily start mowing your favorite meadow, summer cottage, local area.
It is only important to remember that how you load the cutting line into the grass trimmer will affect not only the quality of the work performed, but also your safety.
The difference in line winding in two-groove spools is that at first a 2-5 m long line is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the fold loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound on their own groove, fixing the antennae and assembling the coil is similar to the above option with one groove.
The first execution of this process, you, will seem long and rather laborious, but over the years and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show how to thread the line into the reel of the grass trimmer and wind it correctly. this operation is not difficult and with some patience it will certainly be crowned with success:
There is a type of reel in which the automatic mechanism winds without the help of others. from the user you will have enough to correctly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through a hole on the inside of the body, its antennae without winding are threaded through the hole on the outer body, the reel is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the fishing line is wound from the inside without the help of others. In such a spool, it is unrealistic to make the winding wrong: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only rotate in one direction.
How to Reel Line Semi Automatic Grass Trimmer
The guaranteed output of the factory fill of the grass trimmer will inevitably require a line change. Having a very rough idea of how to tuck the line into the reel of a grass trimmer without the help of others, the newcomers are reluctant to take up this business. But with some abilities, mastering this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the similar annotation presented below will greatly facilitate Such a process.
First, to wind the fishing line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the grass trimmer. certain actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of product itself:
- small electronic grass trimmers with a motor and reel operating position at the bottom usually have side buttons on either side of the reel. When pressed simultaneously, the upper part of the reel, together with the inner content for winding the fishing line, is disconnected, although the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is better to parse the bobbin on an even, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does not jump out and does not even get lost;
- electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved bar without the ability to install a knife, you have spools with a special lamb: in similar designs, hold the spool in a fixed position with one hand, and turn the locking reel on the bar counterclockwise with the wing nut. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- Electronic and petrol grass trimmers with the option of installing the blade on a straight bar (eg STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. For the rod to remain stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole, and with unhurried rotation, such mutual placement is achieved when the screwdriver goes inside the hole, and the bobbin is fixed. The spool body is then rotated clockwise (left-handed) and removed from the grass trimmer.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer?
To change or wind the cutting thread on the spool, it must be removed.
The complexity of its removal depends on the model of the tool:
- Low motor tool. The motor is almost at the ground here. To remove the coil, press the buttons on the side of the grass trimmer. After pressing these buttons, the body opens, where the line spool is located.
- curved bar grass trimmer. Here it is necessary to turn a special lamb counterclockwise. Then the coil and the spring in it are removed.
- Straight bar tool. The bar is held motionless with a screwdriver or other object. It is removed by turning it clockwise. Then the tool is disassembled into parts and the reel is taken out.
- If you use a tool with one tendril, then you will need about four meters of thread. This thread is passed into a hole inside the spool, where it can be fixed. Next, one end of the line is directed in the direction of the arrow. Then the end of this thread is fixed in the groove, which is in the bobbin. This is to prevent the thread from unwinding when assembling the spool. In the absence of grooves, you should hold the line with your hand and collect the bobbin.
- If a tool with two antennae is used, then first check the number of grooves present.
If the reel is equipped with a semi-automatic mechanism, then the line is wound as follows:
- The thread is threaded through the hole that is inside;
- Fix the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- The coil is assembled and a special button is pressed;
- After which the line itself begins to dangle in the right direction.
How to Wind a Trimmer Head
It must always be remembered that the cutting thread must be protected from hard objects. This will extend its lifespan.
If you do not adhere to this rule, you will often have to stop work, remove the spool and change the thread to a new one.
In order for the grass trimmer to work “like a clock”, you need to choose the right line, that is, choose it taking into account the grass trimmer model and the type of work. Two important parameters in this matter are diameter and section.
The diameter of the fishing line must correspond to that recommended for this model (it must be indicated in the product passport). The cross-section of the fishing line is round, square, with sharp edges (pentahedron). A round line is designed for mowing young grass and lawn, square and pentagonal line will come in handy if the grass is coarse and weeds have grown on the lawns.
How to wind line in a grass trimmer?
When refueling the line for the first time, this process may seem quite laborious, but with time and dexterity, the task is solved much faster.
In order to fill the line, you must:
- Take the coil, unscrew its cap. Some coils are threaded to the left, so the lid must be unscrewed in the required direction.
- Measure five meters of line;
- Fold this segment in half, that is, determine where the middle is;
- Next, place this middle of the line in a special hole on the reel;
- Wind the line in the direction of the arrow;
- If there are two places for winding, then the first part of the line should be wound on one half of the reel, and the second part on the other half;
- Push both ends of the fishing line into the holes of the reel;
- Screw on the lid.
Trimmer users, both gasoline and electric, sometimes have problems with the cord. “Advanced” mower owners can easily cope with the difficulties that have arisen, understanding why this is happening, and for beginners it is a problem that has no rational explanation. But in fact, everything is solved quite simply. The most common problems that happen with the line are as follows.
Some reels provide a second method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of thread, instead of one folded in half. The line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before changing or loading a new thread into the spool, determine how many meters it will take using the method described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the bobbin for the line to be fixed, and insert the looped end of the thread into it.
- It is required to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the required level not exceeding the spool diameter.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the head is no different from the method that was given when threading the bobbin with a half-folded piece of fishing line was considered.
For Shtil brushcutters there is a very simple and quick way to change the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can familiarize yourself with by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the required length after the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- by turning on the grass trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut against the knife fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if a large diameter cord had to be supplied, and the edging knife cannot shorten it.
If the filament has been loaded into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (on an electrical device, it is necessary to unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord can again be extended due to centrifugal force if you set the maximum spindle speed.
Regardless of the thickness of the line you set, you should remember: in order not to constantly interrupt work and not change the line, you should avoid areas where the working tool can touch hard surfaces (stones, curbs, thick dry branches, etc.).
Line winding algorithm
Depending on which grass trimmer model is used, the type, thickness and length of the line are selected. The diameter of the cord can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. It is not difficult to guess that the thicker you fill the cord, the harder and thicker grass it is able to cut.
In most cases, use a universal line with a diameter of 2 mm.
There are 3 ways to find out which line diameter you can use on your mower.
- View information on the thickness of the cord in the instructions for the device.
- Look at the bobbin itself. It can contain information about the possible diameters of the line.
- Insert the line into the exit hole. If it easily passes into it, then a cord of this diameter can be used.
The line is wound on a reel in the mowing head. Therefore, first you need to open it (this was discussed above). There are 2 ways to wind the cord.
To remove the grass trimmer head, it will need to be completely disassembled.
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, you must press the latches (latches) located on both sides.
- After removing the cover, you will see a spool that needs to be removed from the case. Some spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must be carefully pulled out so as not to lose it in the grass.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a slotted screw for a Phillips or flat head screwdriver in the center of the case. It is possible that there may be a hex bolt or an “asterisk” bit.
- Using a screwdriver, selecting the required bit (nozzle), you need to unscrew the bolt (counterclockwise).
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove it from the gearbox shaft.
Types of trimmer heads
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) is inserted with a fishing line (cord) tucked in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way of threading and feeding the cord and are of 3 types.
- Automatic. Cord feed is performed after the user reduces engine speed. Although the automatic line feed is convenient if a large amount of work is being done, such bobbins have one drawback. a high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of this type of heads does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their operation is designed in such a way that the cord lengthens automatically while the apparatus is operating at full speed. It is enough to lightly bang the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the blocking of the cord), and the line is pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force, and then it is cut to the required length with a knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the device must be stopped, after which the line is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be borne in mind that grass trimmer reels are single-string (used only for trimming grass) and two-string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, thin-stemmed bushes.
High cord consumption
In general, the cord runs out quickly if the semi-automatic head is tapped frequently on the ground or if it is pressed down hard. The spool is unlocked, and the line, lengthening, is cut with a knife. Another reason that the cord runs out quickly is improper operation of the machine with an automatic head: the user often cuts the engine speed when mowing. But as we remember, the automatic head is designed in such a way that it is with each decrease in revolutions that a new portion of the line is supplied, so it is quickly consumed.
The line is flying out
The reason that the cord unwinds after starting the unit can also be a weakening of the spring inside the head. In addition, there are times when the mowing head flies apart when the machine is turned on, and the spring installed in it is lost. Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and assemble this unit without it. Therefore, the cord does not hold, and under the influence of centrifugal force flies out.
The thread does not hold
It happens that the thread unwinds if the spring in the semiautomatic head has weakened. The line is constantly extended and cut with a knife installed on the cover, which increases its consumption. To check this, remove the cover and turn on the unit. If the line “climbed”, then you will need to replace the spring.