How to cut a 45 degree angle ceiling plinth
Crown molding a vaulted ceiling is so easy
Step-by-step instructions on how to cut a ceiling plinth using a wire cutter
To properly cut a baseboard piece of the right length with your own hands, you need to follow the following steps of the work:
- The linear element is applied to the place of intended installation at the junction of the ceiling and walls.
- The craftsman marks the risk on the baseboard surface with a pencil.
- Further, the detail is transferred to the work table and put between the walls of the jigsaw.
- Before beginning to work it is necessary to measure the size of space for installation of a plinth on a ceiling and to compare this length with distance from edge to the planned risk to avoid irreversible errors subsequently.
- The skirting board is aligned with the kerf cut at 45 degrees on the jigsaw.
- The linear element is pressed tightly against the plastic surface of the tool with the left hand.
- The craftsman takes the hacksaw in his right hand and puts it into the relevant slot on the baseboard, lowering the cutting unit until the teeth touch the skirting board surface.
- The cut is made in a reciprocating motion, across the linear element.
- When cutting, the blade of the hacksaw must be absolutely perpendicular to the horizontal surface of the floor.
- Sawing is done to the end, without the need to break the baseboard. the slot for the hacksaw on the jigsaw ends a little below the working surface of the tool.
- After cutting, both elements are removed, examined for defects and curvature, and then sanded with sandpaper.
Marking on the ceiling to make an angle on the baseboard
There are different ways of how to properly make an angle on the ceiling plinth. Some are easier to do, others are more difficult. One such way is to mark the baseboard on the ceiling. True, it is not very convenient to cut the skirting by weight, but this method is as accurate as all the others. Before cutting the skirting on the ceiling, it is applied to the surface, with all the flaws and irregularities of the walls, as well as the size of the corners are immediately taken into account.
Consider in detail how to properly make corners on the ceiling skirting boards, using this technique:
- First, the two mating baseboard strips must be cut at an angle of 90º;
- One of the blanks is pressed against the wall, and its end rests against the opposite wall. Then the outline of the workpiece is drawn on the ceiling.
- The next step is to take the second slat and in the same way press it end-to-end to the wall. Draw a fishing line.
- At the intersection of the lines obtained put a point at which further trimming of the skirting boards will be made.
- Then each of the slats again in turn is applied to the ceiling and transferred to the workpieces cut point.
- From this point to the corner of the baseboard, conduct a diagonal trim line.
According to the received lines cut off unwanted parts of the skirting boards, then join the adjacent segments, checking the correctness and completeness of fit. “How to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth. simple and correct ways”.
It is worth noting that this method is more often used for internal corners.
How to join in the corners
If the installation of the first corner is passed, we can assume that you have almost learned how to do. “Almost” because you still need to know how to connect the corners and trim strips to length. When some part is already glued and a short distance is left to the corner, how not to make a mistake with the length? The answer is simple: leave a margin.
At first you can cut a piece longer by 10-15 cm: there will be a possibility to redo it several times, if something does not turn out at once. Then you make the angle as described above, trying it on dry, adjusting everything to make sure you are happy with the result. Only after that you can put the already cut bar in a corner and mark the place to which it can be shortened. Trim at 90° to the surface. You do not need to use a compound knife. Just try to put the knife (hacksaw) perpendicular to the surface.
Other ways to trim
As a rule, walls and ceilings are seldom even in normal rooms. If there are insignificant deviations they can be corrected in the process of trying on. If the deviation of the angle from the standard 90 degrees is large, you need to know how to cut the ceiling plinth without a ruler.
Exit in such a situation only one. to produce the procedure, how to cut corners on the skirting boards on the ceiling on the spot:
- For carrying out the procedure, how to cut the plinth on the ceiling, you need to arm yourself with a thinly sharpened pencil (with its help you can make clear marks, not visible from afar), a piece of baguette, a ruler and a good office knife (if plastic or wood plinth is mounted. then the saw).
- Having attached the frieze to the corner, make a pencil mark on the outer edge. Do the same with the back side of the corner. As a result of the ruler should form a cross on the ceiling. The intersection point of the marks will be the point of convergence of the edges of the ceiling frieze. To transfer the scheme, how to cut the ceiling plinth on the corners, the fascia is applied and set against the end part in the corner.
- Next, using a ruler to connect the edges of the frieze and the marking. A simple operation, how to cut a skirting board for the ceiling on a hard surface will not give a positive result: a complete connection at the cut corner of the two separate baguettes will still not be. In this case, it is necessary to carry out additional trimming on the spot. This option is suitable for not very wide friezes (up to 5 cm).
- To trim a corner more precisely, it is necessary to put a skirting board on an edge. At cutting the knife should move obliquely at an angle of 45 degrees (so that the edge is sharpened). After that, fitting in place, if at all, will be needed, but on a very small scale.
- A similar procedure, how to cut the skirting board on the ceiling, is carried out for the second plank. It is necessary to put it to the place of the future installation, keeping the end against the adjoining side of the corner. Next, mark the point with a cross, mark and cut at the bottom. If adjustment is required, it is carried out before the glue is applied.
Similar actions are carried out on the outer corner. It’s most convenient to trim one corner first, and then fit the second corner.
Before you cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to understand the method of forming corners and joints.
- Chisel. In essence, this is an ordinary conductor with guides tapered at right angles, 45 and 22.5 degrees. It is enough to place the molding correctly and cut according to the template. Then the angle will be even, without skewing. However, cheap models have a bad fit of the slopes, that’s why it is difficult to find the ideal 45° angle there.
- Sheet with protractor. If there is no jigsaw and you do not want to buy it, take an ordinary piece of paper. Run a straight fishing line. it will be used to align the molding. Now use a protractor to draw the point on the sheet where the slope from the mowing line is 45 o.
The main problems begin when the molding has an ornament. Just like with wallpaper, it is repetitive and needs to be caught in the right place. To do this, bring a mirror to the cutting point and see if it extends further. If not. the place must be moved.
Finished corner elements
In order not to deal with the trimming of ceiling baseboards yourself, you can use ready-made solutions. In any construction store you can find factory-made products, already at the factory made at a certain angle. Such a corner element allows you to connect the edges of the baseboard, simply cut at right angles. Corner pieces not only allow you to connect the corner of the ceiling galvanizer, but also to hide the imperfections of the cut on the edges of the parts.
Unfortunately, this method is not relevant in all situations. Factory sizes of corners are adjusted to certain standards, but the skirting boards themselves do not always meet the standards. Of course, such parts can be combined, but the result will not look aesthetically pleasing. If corners of a suitable size are not available on sale, you will still have to do the trimming of the baseboards yourself.
The material and the name
The first material from which they began to produce skirting boards for ceiling design, was plaster. They had to be cast in special forms, after which they were attached to the ceiling with plaster mortar. Similar decorative elements were called studs and these days they are practically not used, and you can see them in old houses, which have remained virtually intact during this time. These are expensive elements of interior decoration, so no one uses them today, and their name is almost unknown to anyone. To date, there are cheaper and more practical skirting boards for finishing ceilings.
Nowadays, ceiling plinths are made of materials such as polystyrene or polyurethane. They are inexpensive elements of decoration, which have a number of advantages, associated with ease of installation, with the practicality and attractiveness, as well as “weightlessness”, compared to the elements of decoration from gypsum, which have a considerable weight. Such plinths of polyurethane or polystyrene are made of different widths (from 5 to 250 mm), and also have a wide range of shapes and patterns, so there is an opportunity to pick up such decorative elements for any style of decoration. The only exception are buildings made of wood, decorated in the appropriate style, where elements made of wood are taken as a basis, and there is nothing we can do about it, because the style always dictates its own terms.
There are still skirting boards made of plastic that are not afraid of moisture, so they are used to finish the premises, in which there is high humidity. For the sake of fairness, it should be noted that polystyrene décor elements are also not afraid of moisture.
Trim ceiling skirting boards in the corners with some methods, while such options are not suitable for trimming skirting plastic.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners with or without a plunge cutter
When someone prepares the corners of a ceiling plinth for installation for the first time, they often have to spoil more than one metre of material. Alas, but even the purchased plank is not always helpful in this, when the walls in the room are connected at an arbitrary and not at right angles.
Tip: instead of the saw that comes with the saw, it is better to use a regular metal saw. Its cut is more precise and even, which is very important in this process.
The easiest way to fit the strips of baseboard, cutting it with a wire cutter. This device is a U-shaped construction (something like a box without one of the walls). Slots are made in advance in the sidewalls of the baseboard cutter, which are then used as a template for cutting both baseboards and other materials.
Cutting the baseboard at an angle with a jig saw, watch this video.
- It allows you to accurately cut the baseboard edges according to the finished template.
- It’s easy to make with your own hands, using four planks, an angle and a saw. You can cut a pattern groove to any taste, depending on the type of work required.
- With its help it is easy to form both internal and external corner.
The only disadvantage of this method refers only to those cases where the plinth is made with their own hands: it is necessary to be extremely careful, in advance, to map the mowing line for the template slots with a protractor, without deviating by any degree.
Cutting a corner on the ceiling plinth on the jig has its own peculiarities. You may also be interested to read the article on the topic, plastering walls with their own hands, types of plaster.
For the outer corner. the baseboard is applied to the right side of the chair (or. to the near side of itself, if the template is placed across the desk), aligned on the plane and the wall, and then cut or sawed off using the template.
For the inner. also, but in reverse order: the application is on the left or far side of the chair.
The two cut skirting boards are then glued in place without gluing. If there are gaps. the fragments are fitted to each other with a knife. Small imperfections can be covered later with putty. It will also be useful to read the article how to make wall putty with your own hands.
Hand Right IMPORTANT: even when using a template, trimming corners requires a certain skill. Therefore, for the first-time finisher, it is recommended that he first practice on the unnecessary remnants of the baseboard, trimming them, and trying to dock without gaps.