How to cut a 90 degree angle baseboard
Ceiling plinth performs not only a decorative function, visually separating walls from the ceiling, but can also hide joints between different ceiling and wall finishing materials. Not every interior design involves the use of ceiling plinth, but most often the overall appearance of the room seems incomplete without it. In the attachment of this element of the moldings is not complicated, almost all types of skirting boards are attached to the glue. But the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of rooms, can puzzle many. After all, even in the simplest room there are interior corners, where ceiling plinth strips must be accurately and beautifully docked. And in a more complex configuration of the room will also have to dock the skirting, performing an outside corner. In this article, we will consider different options on how to cut the ceiling plinth with or without the help of hand tools.
A Simple Trick to Install Baseboard Corners Perfectly
First, you should deal with the question of what to cut the ceiling plinth, the answer depends on the material from which the fillet is made. At the moment we sell ceiling skirting boards made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polystyrene foam (foam plastic), polyurethane and wood.
PVC ceiling skirting boards are the cheapest. They easily form dents and breaks that can not be removed, so the product has to be thrown out. Also their disadvantage is the electrostatic nature of the ability to attract dust. They can be cut with a sharp construction knife or hacksaw.
Skirting boards made of polystyrene foam also belong to the cheap. This material is very fragile, when processed easily crumbles, so cut polystyrene foam must be a sharp knife or hacksaw for metal, not making too much pressure.
Extruded polystyrene skirting boards are slightly more expensive than polystyrene ones, they are denser and more difficult to cut. Nevertheless they are less crumbly, so they are easier and more convenient to work with. Cut with a construction knife and a metal hacksaw.
Polyurethane skirting boards are the most expensive at the moment. They are strong, flexible and moisture-resistant, can be easily cut with a construction knife, and do not crumble. A disadvantage of polyurethane skirting boards is their dependence on temperature differences. For instance, above a gas stove, a polyurethane skirting board will acquire residual deformations and begin to crack slightly. If you try to trim or trim such a skirting board, it may warp or deform in other ways.
Wooden ceiling plinths are dense, heavy products that can only be cut with a hacksaw, preferably with fine, frequent teeth. Metal skirting boards can also be used.
Before proceeding to the list of ways how to properly cut a ceiling plinth, I would like to note that there is a possibility not to cut the plinth with special precision. Special skirting board corners are available for purchase, into which the edges of the skirting boards are inserted. In this case it is enough to cut the skirting board at an angle of 90. and the corner element will hide all the imperfections. But this method is not always used, because the size of the corner elements are somewhat larger than the baseboards themselves, so the corners in the room will stand out against the background. Sometimes it can look awkward. Nevertheless, if the design of the room allows the use of angular elements for ceiling plinths, it makes sense to use them. The following instructions will be helpful to those who still decide to precisely cut the baseboards to a given angle.
How to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth with a wire cutter
The mortiser is a simple carpentry tool that allows you to cut the workpiece at the required angle. The most common is a tray of plastic, wood, or metal with vertical slots for cutting at 90 and 45. There are also more complex designs for cutting at 90, 60 and 45 degree angles. For more professional work, use a jigsaw with a pivoting mechanism, where the hacksaw can be fixed at any angle to the workpiece.
How to cut a ceiling skirting board with a wire cutter inner corner:
- We put the plinth to the ceiling, measure the required length.
- Then put the skirting board into the jig so that the position coincides with the position of the skirting board on the ceiling.
- The skirting board must be pressed against the far wall of the jigsaw.
- Hold the skirting board with your left hand.
- We choose the position of the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees, with the handle of the hacksaw close to the left hand.
- Cut the skirting without pressing the saw too hard.
- The next step is to cut the skirting board counter trim. Position it against the far wall of the plinth joiner as well.
- Press it down and hold it with the right hand.
- We choose a position for the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and the handle of the hacksaw is close to the right hand.
- Cut the skirting board.
Next we dock the cut skirting boards and check the accuracy of the cut. For more accurate orientation it is also said that to perform the inner corner it is necessary to start cutting from the front part of the skirting board. Wooden baseboards, after cutting, will probably have to be further adjusted with a file.
How to cut the ceiling plinth with a jigsaw outer corner:
- Not to make a mistake with the size, it is better to start with the marking of the inner corner, and then cut the outer corner. Otherwise it is possible that the trim may not be long enough.
- It is necessary to attach the plank to the ceiling and outline the dimensions.
- Install the ceiling plinth trim and press it to the nearest wall.
- Hold with your left hand and choose a 45 degree angle position for the hacksaw when the handle is close to your left hand.
- Cut the workpiece.
- Install the counter plank to the nearest wall, hold it with the right hand.
- Set the hacksaw at a 45-degree angle, when the handle is close to the right hand.
- Cut the workpiece and make the angle.
Trimming the workpiece with a wire cutter is suitable only if the angle between the walls is exactly 90 degrees. If, however, accuracy leaves much to be desired, we will have to use other methods.
How to trim a ceiling baseboard corner using a marking on the ceiling
Marking the skirting on the ceiling also allows the corner to be cut evenly and precisely. The only disadvantage of this method is that it is difficult and inconvenient to hold the skirting board by weight while cutting. Otherwise, it is possible to mark the angle for cutting in this way even more accurately than in other ways. Putting a skirting board to the place of installation, immediately takes into account all the flaws of the walls and deviations in the size of the angle.
Trimming the corner of the ceiling plinth:
- The intersection point of the marked lines will be the point at which the skirting boards should be cut.
- Again we attach each skirting board in turn and mark the cut point on them.
- Run the fishing line from this point to the other edge of the skirting board.
We cut the skirting boards along the marked lines, join them and attach them to the place of installation. Note that it is easier to cut inside corners with this method.
How to cut a ceiling skirting board using a jig saw
Something that resembles a power sander can be made by drawing the necessary angles of cut on paper, cardboard, or wood. It is necessary to draw two parallel mowing lines, determine the center, and then set off the necessary angles using a protractor. The advantage of this method is that you can set off any angle, including greater than 90 degrees. Of course, before you cut the corners of the ceiling plinth, you need to check the angle between the walls in advance with a corner and measure with a protractor.
The method of cutting the ceiling plinth with the drawn jigsaw is exactly the same as with the jigsaw itself. We press the baseboard plank to one of the parallel lines, then set the hacksaw at the desired angle, which is already marked, and cut off.
Improvised tray-stool with your own hands
It is also not very difficult to make a jig with your own hands.
You need three wooden slats or boards, which should be nailed into a U-shaped box. Then on the walls of the box are marked necessary corners, and the cut is made with a hacksaw. You should end up with a wooden chisel that has grooves cut into it.
The combination of the improvised jigsaw and the template with the lines we have drawn. For ease of cutting must be built something that will be convenient to hold the plank ceiling plinth, because keep it on the weight is difficult. It is enough to make two pieces of wood or planks to make a corner. On the paper it is necessary to draw the line with angles for cutting at 45 degrees or any other. Then we put a piece of baseboard to the corner, press it by hand, as described in the technique of using a wire cutter, a piece of paper with a template that moves under the edge where we are going to perform a cut, and cut off. During the cutting process we are guided by the line drawn on the paper.
Anything can be used as an improvised jigsaw, anything. that we form a corner. For example, the table against the wall.
Important! Note the rule of thumb for trimming ceiling plinths. To map the inside corner, you must measure the length directly from the corner. To outline the outer corner, it is necessary to orient that the skirting board will protrude into the interior of the room at a distance equal to its width.
Do not fix the ceiling skirting boards before you cut the counter trim and tried on their location. Only after the two counter strips are perfectly aligned in the corner, you can begin fixing them to the ceiling. Minor faults can be completed with a file or file in the case of wooden and polyurethane skirting boards. For fitting the foam products will have to wield a sharp knife.
If after fitting the skirting boards even a small gap remains between them, do not despair, it can be sealed with putty. It is not difficult to cut a skirting board yourself. But in order not to spoil a lot of products, it is better to practice on small pieces beforehand.
Tools for cutting ceiling plinth in the corners
You will need the following tools for cutting:
- A chisel, a carpentry device designed to cut materials at 45 and 90 degrees. The device is also convenient in that it allows you to fix any type of plank and make cutting easier. Hollow model, for example, without a jig is extremely difficult to cut, even with a small width.
- A construction knife with interchangeable blades or a hacksaw. In some cases, in order to file the ceiling plinth, even use a coping electric saw, such as when cutting wooden elements.
- A pencil and ruler is required to correctly determine the location of the cut.
- Angle is required for manual cutting. For example, if a foam material is installed, then the operation can be performed using a regular knife, as plastic is very easy to cut. An angle piece is needed here to accurately measure the corners for the ceiling plinth.
In difficult cases or with little experience in such work, you can resort to the help of a stencil.
Often in rooms, in addition to the inner corner, there is also an outer corner, which is also subject to special treatment.
Not to miscalculate the size, you must first prepare the inner corner, and only after proceed to work on the outer.
- The ceiling strip is pressed to the ceiling, and the cutout dimensions are marked.
- The plank is placed in the device and pressed to the nearest wall.
- Without strong pressure the workpiece is cut, the main thing is to leave surplus space.
- The other slat is carved in exactly the same way.
- When doing so, the plank should be placed closer to the right hand.
- It must be in contact with the wall of the device, which is located further away.
- The skirting board is cut without much pressure, and then the two parts must be joined together. They must be docked perfectly, if this is not the case, you can adjust the strips with a knife.
- If all is well when trying on without glue, you can attach it with glue or mortar,
- Small imperfections can easily be sealed with a special mortar.
If the angle is 90 degrees, you can only use the plinth cutter, but if it is smaller or bigger, you have to cut it manually.
To cut a skirting board correctly for installation in a corner, you will need a wire cutter, a special device made of a tray for cutting boards, plastic, etc. д. At different angles. The plinth can be bought in a store, or you can make it yourself. Usually a saw is attached to the commercially available saw, but you can also use your own tool.
The chair has a recess for the board or plinth to be cut, and slots for the saw, located at 45 and 90 degrees. You will need to cut the skirting board at a 45 degree angle.
To cut a baseboard with this tool, proceed as follows.
- We bring the skirting board to the future fastening point.
- We mark where we will cut.
- We put the plinth in the chute of the chisel so that the lower part was pressed to the surface of the device, and the part that will be lubricated with glue, looked up.
- Cut a section by sliding the saw through one of the 45-degree holes.
- Adjust the cuts with a knife or the same saw (remove irregularities).
How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth using a wire cutter
After that the skirting board can be glued in place.
How to cut a baseboard into an angle with a power drill.
If the walls of the room are flat and the corners are straight, then it is not difficult to cut the skirting at an angle equal to half of the right angle. To cut various materials at a certain angle, there is a carpentry tool called a plinth. Structurally, it is made in different variants, more or less complex, allowing the workpiece to be trimmed, both at a certain and arbitrary angle. The simplest device, which is a wooden tray with vertical slots in the side walls for a hacksaw, allows you to make vertical cuts at 90 and 45 degree angles. Such a device is not difficult to make yourself.
A more complex design of the crosscut is a plastic tray with the same saw slots in the side walls, usually at 90, 60 and 45 degree angles. This design except for vertical sawing makes it possible to cut the workpiece with a 45 degree angle of the hacksaw blade. For more professional work, specialists use a power plier with a pivoting mechanism in which the hacksaw can be fixed at any angle to the workpiece.
The first two devices are effective only if the corners of the room are even. Unfortunately, not all walls are built at 90 degrees to each other. This can be checked by placing an ordinary angle piece to the corner of the room.If the angles are 90 degrees, you can cut or saw off both ends of the baseboard at an angle of 45 degrees using the jigsaw. In this case the ends of the skirting boards are docked well enough. But the angle of the room is not always equal to 90 degrees. In this case, the angle must be measured, divided in half, and sawed to the value of the quotient of division. To achieve accuracy in the junction sawed with the simplest baseboards is very difficult. Sufficiently accurate results can be obtained only with the use of a jig saw with a rotating mechanism, and even then with a very accurate measurement of the angle.
Methods of joining factory-made products
The size and shape of the parts must match the basic set of profiles.
The second method without additional tools
For the inside corner, you can use the easiest way to a perfect junction. by marking on the ceiling. One more example how to cut a corner nice and straight.
The end result is an even angle of 45° if you run a fishing line from the intersection point to the edge of the detail. Note that the above method of marking works only when the corners are perfectly flat.
How to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth without a jigsaw
If, despite all the useful properties of a wire cutter, you don’t have one handy, you can cut soft foam ceiling skirting boards relatively easily without this device.
The simplest option “works”, unfortunately, only on perfectly even corners.
For this purpose it is necessary to press a plinth tightly to a ceiling, having aligned its edge with the adjacent wall and to lead a fishing line along the edge of a plank. Repeat the same procedure on the other side of the corner. Next, the point of intersection of the lines and the mark is transferred to the skirting pieces.
From the marking to the corner of the fillet a straight line is drawn. use it to make the cut.
Carry out the cutting of soft foam products can be an ordinary construction knife, in this case the edge is as even and convenient for docking.
If there is a question of how to cut a corner on the ceiling plinth from dense and solid materials, you have to create your own kind of plinth.
How to work with a wire cutter?
We told you how to properly cut the ceiling plinth without other tools. Now let’s dwell on the technique of working with a wire cutter, in more detail. Follow all the steps in the same sequence. and the outer corner of the ceiling baseboard will be perfectly flat:
- With the baseboard against the wall, measure the length you need;
- Place the plank in the jig, so that its position coincides with the position on the ceiling. Press it against the far wall;
- Hold the skirting board with your left hand. So that the cut accessory does not have jagged edges and does not break, the saw is pressed with a minimum of force;
- To cut the counterpart, repeat the procedure in the same sequence, but hold it with your right hand;
- How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth if it is made of wood? You proceed in exactly the same way, but since the wood is not as flexible, at the end the edges are also trimmed with a file;
- To avoid incorrect size calculation, start by marking the inside corner, and then move on to the outer. If the outer corner is too tightly cut, it might simply not be long enough.