How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners
How to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth under the ceiling
The method is used when the walls have irregularities. straight sections, offset relative to their axis, and bends. A protractor won’t help here. The products must be attached to understand how to draw the line marking. Uncertainty can be measured, but surface bending is much more difficult to calculate than linear deflection. If you do not take into account the rounded shape, there will be a small gap. You have to put up with this when you can only cut on the floor. hard parts are difficult to handle in a suspended state. The easiest way to make prefabricated elements by weight from soft polystyrene foam.
The foam fillet is alternately pressed against two curved legs so that it repeats their shape, and outlined with a pencil. You should get two conditionally perpendicular mowing lines. The place of their intersection serves as the main reference point. It is selected so that the mowing line is visible on the surface. Then the bar is applied again, pressing the end, and cut from the obtained point to the intersection of the walls. The perpendicular element is also processed. The main thing is to keep the knife straight and not deviate from the given direction.
Cutting a ceiling plinth in a miter box Methods for cutting a ceiling plinth for joining in inner and outer corners using a miter box, template or by marking the wall. Tool selection rules and useful tips.
One of the most difficult steps in installing skirting boards is cutting them correctly. Only by correctly joining the individual elements at the outer and inner corners will you get the desired result. Fillets will look aesthetically pleasing and neat if you cut them off at the right angle and seal the cracks. To accomplish this task, a special tool (miter box) is used. And if it is not there, then other devices will help.
Selection of tools for cutting ceiling skirting boards
Miter box for cutting ceiling molding
To properly and accurately cut the skirting board, you need to use a suitable cutting tool. It is chosen depending on the material from which the fillets are made:
- Styrofoam. It is characterized by low strength and is relatively inexpensive, and therefore foam models are becoming more and more popular. Their strength does not particularly affect the performance, since usually the ceiling plinth is not subjected to mechanical stress. An ordinary stationery knife is suitable for cutting.
In addition to the tool for direct cutting of the baguette, you will need a miter box. This is a special device made of wood, plastic or metal in the form of a box with notches on the sides. A hacksaw or knife can be inserted into it at the desired angle. Thus, the cutting angle is as accurate as possible.
To work with this home-made device was convenient and safe, the boards must be well sanded before bonding.
For a prompt and high-quality work, you need to choose a tool in accordance with the material of the baseboard and choose a cutting method. If you have a miter box, then there will be no particular difficulties in the process. If it is not there, then two options are possible: cut according to the template and measurements on the ceiling or make this tool yourself.
Features of cutting ceiling plinths in a miter box
It is necessary to work with this device extremely carefully so as not to blunt the tool and not leave cuts in unnecessary places. In the process, we adhere to the following instructions:
- We fix the baguette in the miter box in the same way as it is planned to place it on the wall. The side that will be pressed against the ceiling on the miter box must lie against the sidewall.
When cutting and trimming foam and polyurethane products, remember that these materials crumble and squeeze, therefore the tools must be sharp enough, and strong mechanical stress on them is undesirable.
Technique for cutting ceiling plinths according to a template
Drawn miter box for skirting board
This method can be used if your corners are even and you want to trim the baguette exactly 45 degrees. To do this, before cutting the ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to draw a miter box on thick paper. Draw two parallel mowing lines and mark the angles at the desired degrees using a protractor.
We place the fillet in this case in the same way as on a traditional miter box. Please note that you need to cut the skirting board while holding the tool in a strictly vertical position.
Rules for cutting ceiling plinths by marking
Trim skirting with wall markings
This method is used to cut skirting boards in cases where there is neither a miter box nor parts from which it can be made.
To do this, you need to make markings on the wall in this order:
When cutting in this manner, it is important to accurately track all mowing lines and mark points. An error of even a few millimeters will cause a gap to form. This method is suitable for cutting and joining both the inner and outer corners of the ceiling plinth.
Method for cutting a ceiling plinth without a miter box
Cutting a baguette for the ceiling using the tools at hand
To neatly dock fillets in the inner corners, you can do without a miter box.
- We apply the end part of the baguette to the sheet of paper and outline the contour of the convex side. It is more convenient to use a small piece of plinth (if any).
Tips for cutting ceiling plinths
Rules for cutting skirting boards in a miter box
When working with a miter box, there are two things to keep in mind:
In addition, you need to know the following nuances before cutting the skirting board:
- Before you start cutting a baguette with a miter box, try cutting a test strip to avoid mistakes.
How to cut a ceiling plinth. look at
We got acquainted with the question of how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth with a miter box, using a template or using the marking method. Of course, you can try cropping by eye, but then the result will be appropriate. By adhering to the instructions we have proposed, you will quickly and correctly cut the fillet at the desired angle.
Related news How to cut ceiling plinths in corners with and without a miter box?
The procedure for installing fillets on ceilings seems to be quite easy, but it requires specific techniques to successfully complete the repair. Often we cut the corners of the ceiling plinth completely incorrectly, which leads to a reduction in its service life and a low quality of repair work. Correct joining, evenly fixed edges is a completely achievable result, if you use the recommendations of experienced specialists.
This material is intended for decorative finishing of the ceiling area, visually separating it from the walls and covering the joints of various finishing elements. Almost any option for decoration, interior design involves the use of such details. Otherwise, the room will look unfinished.
Fillets are used to secure this part, which are attached to the ceiling with glue. But a problem arises. how to properly cut the ends of the fillets so that they successfully converge with each other. There are rooms of non-standard configuration, where ingenuity is required for normal material joining. How to cut ceiling skirting boards in the corners? There are different options for trimming and docking. with or without tools.
The choice of mounting option depends on the type of product:
- From PVC. the cheapest, but also the most brittle, prone to defects, but easy to use, it can be cut with a knife.
- Expanded polystyrene is also inexpensive, brittle, requiring a hacksaw for metal, although it is easy to cut. Another option is slightly more expensive. from extruded polystyrene foam, it is more difficult to cut, but it crumbles less.
- Polyurethane is the most expensive and moisture resistant, durable and elastic. It is more difficult to work with it, it deforms at high temperatures.
- Wooden. dense and heavy material, cut only with a hacksaw.
Many owners of houses and apartments are often in the midst of renovation work, puzzled by the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners. The problem is that it is not technically possible to make an incision at a 45 degree angle. To perform such manipulations, it is important to correctly dock at the boundaries of the outer and inner corners of the web, which is quite problematic.
The specificity of the ceiling version is not only in the vertical position of the canvas. The mount is placed at the base at an angle of 38 to 45 degrees. The difficulty lies in making a 45-degree incision. It is difficult to connect cut edges from the inside, gaps appear between them, aesthetics are disturbed.
For the most accurate cutting, a special corner element is used, which is inserted into the edge of the skirting board. it will help to hide cutting errors. This element will emphasize the corners in the room; the choice of such a detail must be approached responsibly.
How to cut ceiling skirting boards in the corners? The secret of a high-quality incision is in making cuts both on the outside and on the inside. The inner cut matters if we make the outer corner.
Usually they use professional equipment. miter saws or industrial electric rotary hammers. But supporters of home renovation can get by with conventional tools. The main requirement. at the end of the work, the result should be a clearly visible texture for the cornice, reflected on its front or back side.
So, at what angle to cut the ceiling plinth and where does the formation of an angle begin with the help of home remedies??
First you need to measure the angle that is between the walls. for this you can take pieces of foam from the technique. Usually the angle is 90 degrees. a strict perpendicular. In this case, you need to trim the edges of the product at an angle of 45 degrees. Perform similar actions with the second segment.
In the event of irregularities and mismatched joints in the gap between the ceiling and walls, you need to divide the corner radius in half. In this case, you should not confuse the details. The baguette for the left side is notched on the right, and the one on the right is the other way around.
Before cutting the ceiling plinths in the corners, form a corner inside the material in the upper space. this decision is based on the fact that the lower side protrudes above the upper one. When performing an outer corner, the procedure is reversed. The texture of expanded polystyrene materials helps to smoothly and accurately adjust the details. If wooden or plastic elements are used for the baguette, then you will have to work with them more carefully.
The most popular mounting option is using household tools. The miter box is a renowned carpenter’s assistant to help you cut at the right angle. Usually it is a tray, wood or plastic, with vertical slots for the blade at angles of 45 and 90 degrees. How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth with a miter box?
First, you should attach the material to the ceiling, install its bar in the miter box. In this case, the tool must coincide with the position of the product. Holding the plinth with your left hand, choose a position for the cutting tool (hacksaw) at an angle of 45 degrees. Cut the material without undue pressure. After that, the striker is cut, set to the far wall of the wort.
Holding the working material with the right hand, choose the position of the hacksaw at 45 degrees and cut.
How to cut a corner of a skirting board without a miter box? It is possible to carry out the calculation and cut manually. It is enough to make a good marking on the ceiling, then cut off the desired corner exactly. A significant disadvantage of this option is the inconvenience when you have to hold all the planks with your hands during the measurement process. In general, this method helps to make the necessary measurements just as well.
By attaching the product to the place where it will be mounted, you can immediately take into account all the errors on the walls. First, two workpieces are cut at a 90 degree angle. Then one of the planks is applied, resting it against the wall perpendicularly. The line is drawn along the ceiling, outlining the desired contour. Then they remove the bar and apply a second one. for reciprocal markings. The intersection of the lines will be the trim point. Then a place for the future cut is marked on the slats.
Experienced carpenters, joiners and builders know best how to cut ceiling plinths in corners. Most advise you to make cuts on the side and try on the strips to the ceiling, if necessary. cut in the direction of the part adjoining the surface.
Having made a rough docking, the finally finished fillets are screwed to the wall. The seams are sealed. the installation of the skirting board is complete.
10 adorable star children who look completely different today Time flies, and one day little celebrities become adults who are no longer recognizable. Pretty boys and girls turn into s.
These 10 little things a man always notices in a woman Do you think your man knows nothing about female psychology? This is not true. Not a single trifle will hide from the gaze of your partner who loves you. And here are 10 things.
Terribly beautiful: 15 shocking plastic surgeries that ended in failure Plastic surgery among the stars remains incredibly popular to this day. But the problem is that the result was not always perfect before.
What does the shape of your nose say about your personality? Many experts believe that looking at the nose can tell a lot about a person’s personality. Therefore, when you first meet, pay attention to the nose of the unfamiliar.
What is it like to be a virgin at 30? What is, interestingly, women who did not have sex until almost middle age.
Top 10 Broke Stars It turns out that sometimes even the loudest fame ends in failure, as is the case with these celebrities.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
The ceiling plinth performs not only a decorative function, visually separating the walls from the ceiling, but can also hide the joints of various finishing materials of the ceiling and walls. Not every interior design involves the use of a skirting board, but more often than not, the overall appearance of the room seems incomplete without it. There is nothing difficult in fixing this element. fillets. almost all types of skirting boards are attached with glue. But the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the premises can confuse many. Indeed, even in the simplest room there are internal corners, where the plinths of the ceiling plinth must be precisely and beautifully docked. And in a more complex configuration of the room, you will also have to dock the skirting boards, performing the outer corner. In this article, we will look at various options for how to cut a ceiling plinth with and without tools at hand.
First you need to figure out how to cut the ceiling plinth, the answer to it depends on the material from which the fillet is made. At the moment, we sell ceiling skirting boards made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (foam), polyurethane and wood.
PVC skirting boards are the cheapest. Dents and creases are easily formed on them, which cannot be repaired, so the product must be thrown away. Also their disadvantage is electrostaticity. the ability to attract dust. You can cut them with a sharp construction knife or hacksaw.
Styrofoam ceiling skirting boards are also cheap. This material is very fragile, it crumbles easily during processing, therefore, it is necessary to cut the expanded polystyrene with a sharp knife or a hacksaw on metal, without making too strong pressing forces.
Ceiling skirting boards made of extruded polystyrene foam are slightly more expensive than polystyrene foam, they are denser and more difficult to cut. However, they crumble less, making them easier and more comfortable to work with. Cut with a construction knife and a hacksaw for metal.
Polyurethane ceiling skirting boards are the most expensive at the moment. They are durable, elastic and moisture resistant, can be easily cut with a construction knife and do not crumble. The disadvantage of polyurethane skirting boards is their dependence on temperature extremes. For example, over a gas stove, a polyurethane skirting board will permanently deform and crackle slightly. If you try to process or cut such a plinth, it may bend or deform in other ways.
Wooden ceiling skirting boards are dense, heavy products that can only be cut with a hacksaw, preferably with fine, dense teeth. You can also use a cloth for metal.
Before proceeding to the enumeration of the ways of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, I would like to note that there is a possibility not to cut the plinth with great precision. Special corner pieces are available for sale. into which the edges of the skirting board are inserted. In this case, it is enough to cut the plinth strip at an angle of 90 °, and the corner element will hide all the flaws. But this method is not always used, since the dimensions of the corner elements are slightly larger than the skirting boards themselves, so the corners in the room will stand out against the general background. Sometimes it can look bulky. However, if the design of the room allows the use of corner pieces for ceiling skirting boards, it makes sense to use them. Further instructions will be useful to those who nevertheless decided to accurately cut the skirting boards at a given angle.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box
The miter box is a simple carpentry tool that allows you to cut the workpiece at the desired angle. Most often it is a plastic, wood or metal tray with vertical slots for cutting at an angle of 90 ° and 45 °. There are also more complex miter box designs. for cutting at angles of 90, 60 and 45 degrees. For more professional work, a miter box with a swivel mechanism is used, where the hacksaw can be fixed at any angle to the workpiece.
How to cut a skirting board with a miter box. inner corner:
- We apply the plinth to the ceiling, measure the required length.
- Then we install the plinth strip in the miter box so that the position coincides with the position of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The plinth strip must be pressed against the far wall of the miter box.
- Hold the plinth with your left hand.
- We choose such a position of the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and at the same time the handle of the hacksaw is as close as possible to the left hand.
- We cut the workpiece without making excessive pressure on the saw.
- The next step is to trim the plinth striker. We also install it to the far wall of the miter box.
- Press and hold with your right hand.
- We choose such a position for the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and the handle of the hacksaw approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the skirting board.
Next, we join the trimmed plinths and check the cutting accuracy. For a more accurate orientation, they also say that in order to complete the inner corner, it is necessary to start cutting from the front of the plinth. After trimming, wooden skirting boards will most likely have to be adjusted with a file.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box. outside corner:
- In order not to be mistaken with the dimensions, it is better to start by marking the inner corner, and then cut out the outer corner. Otherwise, a situation is possible when the planks may not be enough in length.
- It is necessary to attach the plank to the ceiling and outline the dimensions.
- Install the plinth strip and press it against the nearest wall.
- Hold with your left hand and choose a position for the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the left hand.
- Cut off the workpiece.
- We install the striker to the nearest wall, hold it with the right hand.
- We set the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the workpiece and join the corner.
Trimming the workpiece with a miter box is only suitable if the angle between the walls is even. 90 degrees. If the accuracy is poor, you will have to use other methods.
How to trim the corner of a ceiling plinth using ceiling markings
Marking the skirting board on the ceiling also allows you to cut the corner evenly and accurately. The only drawback of this method is that it is difficult and inconvenient to keep the plinth plinth suspended during the cutting process. Otherwise, you can mark the cutting angle in this way even more accurately than in other ways. Applying the skirting board to the installation site, all wall flaws and deviations in the corner size are immediately taken into account.
Cutting the corner of the skirting board:
- First of all, two workpieces must be cut at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Then we first apply one plank, resting its end against a perpendicular wall. We draw a line on the ceiling, outlining the contour of the plinth.
- We remove this bar and apply a striker, also resting its butt against the wall. We outline the line.
- The point of intersection of the marked lines will be the mark at which the skirting board needs to be cut.
- Again, we apply each bar in turn and mark the cutting point on them.
- We draw the line from this point to the other edge of the plinth.
We cut off the skirting boards along the outlined lines, join them and apply them to the installation site. Please note that this method is more convenient to cut the inner corners.
How to cut a ceiling plinth using a miter box template
Something resembling a miter box can be done by applying the required cut angles to paper, cardboard or wood. Draw two parallel mowing lines, locate the center, and then set the required angles with a protractor. The advantage of this method is that you can postpone any angle, including more than 90 degrees. Of course, before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth, you must first check the angle between the walls using a corner and measure with a protractor.
The technique for cutting a ceiling plinth using a painted miter box is exactly the same as using the miter box itself. We press the plinth plinth to one of the parallel lines, then set the hacksaw at the desired angle, which is already outlined, and cut off.
DIY impromptu miter box
Making a miter box with your own hands is also not difficult.
You will need three wooden planks or boards, which must be put together in a U-shaped box. Then the necessary angles are marked on the walls of the box, and a cut is made with a hacksaw. As a result, you should get a wooden miter box, in which grooves are cut.
A combination of an impromptu miter box and a template with marked lines. For the convenience of cutting, it is necessary to build something in which it will be convenient to hold the plinth strip, since it is difficult to keep it suspended. It is enough to put together a corner from two wooden planks or boards. On paper, you need to draw a mowing line with angles for cutting at 45 degrees or at any other. Then we apply the baseboard blank to the corner, press it with our hand, as described in the technology for using the miter box, move the piece of paper with the template under the edge where we are going to cut it, and cut it off. In the process of cutting, we focus on the line drawn on the paper.
As an impromptu miter box, you can use anything you want, anything. that we form a corner. For example, a table pushed against a wall.
Important! Pay attention to the rule of making measurements for trimming the ceiling plinth. To mark the inner corner, you need to measure the length directly from the corner itself. To outline the outer corner, it is necessary to be guided by the fact that the plinth will protrude deep into the room by a distance equal to its width.
You should not fix the plinths of the ceiling plinths before you cut the striker and try on their location. Only after the two strikers are perfectly aligned in the corner, you can start attaching them to the ceiling. Minor imperfections can be finished with a file or a nail file in the case of wooden and polyurethane skirting boards. To fit foam products, you will have to wield a sharp knife.
If suddenly, even after adjusting the skirting boards, a small gap remains between them, do not despair, it can be repaired with a putty. Cutting the ceiling plinth yourself is not difficult. But in order not to spoil many products, it is better to pre-practice on small blanks.
Polyfoam is also often found as an element of the decoration of rooms. Its characteristic feature is increased fragility, therefore it must be adjusted in place very accurately, the foam does not tolerate any deformations.
You need to cut it with a miter box as follows:
- Plinth plates are stacked in the miter box.
- An incision is made. Unlike polyurethane, foam is a soft material, and you can even cut it with a knife or, better, with a stationery or construction cutter. Here it is better to use a small, but even piece of wood, a metal plate or a ruler. As a last resort, you can make pencil marks corresponding to the slots of the miter box, connect them with a ruler. and lead the slot.
- Any type of saw can be used if desired, but consider the fragility of the foam. Therefore, it is better to moisten the blade with water in advance.
- After trimming, the fit is done in the same way as for polyurethane.
Asterisk IMPORTANT: Styrofoam is a brittle material, so the cutting tool should be sharpened as best as possible.
Let’s take a closer look at how to properly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth using a miter box using different materials.
How To Install Crown Molding With Mitered Corners. Easy Install Tips!
Using a miter box
The miter box has a recess for a cut-off board or plinth and saw slots at an angle of 45 and 90 degrees. You will need to cut the skirting board at a 45 degree angle.
To cut the skirting board with this device, you need to follow these steps.
After that, the skirting board can be glued in place.
Using a miter box at home
The easiest way to adjust the strips of the skirting board is to cut it with a miter box. This device is a U-shaped structure (something like a box without one of the walls). In the sidewalls of the miter box, cuts are made in advance, which are later used as a template for cutting off both the plinth and other materials.
Cutting the plinth at an angle using a miter box, see this video.
- It allows you to accurately cut the edges of the skirting board according to the finished template.
- It is easy to do it yourself using four planks, a square and a saw. At the same time, you can cut template grooves for every taste, depending on the required type of work.
- It can be used to easily form both inner and outer corners.
The only drawback of this method concerns only those cases when the miter box is made by hand: it is necessary to be extremely careful, in advance to outline the mowing line for template slots using a protractor, without deviating by a degree.
Cutting a corner on a ceiling plinth using a miter box has its own characteristics. You may also be interested in reading an article on the topic, plastering walls with your own hands, types of plaster.
It happens that the room has not only internal, but also external corners, which also need to be pasted over with a plinth (see photo). How to do it? There are several ways here as well. The easiest way, as is the case with the inner corners, is to cut them with a miter box. The outer joints must be cut so that the side that will be glued to the ceiling is on the surface of the miter box, and the side pressed against the wall is facing the wall of the fixture.
As with the inside corners, you can also use in-place markings, that is, draw the mowing line on the ceiling. Here, the technology is exactly the same as that used for the inner corners.
You can use the markings on the wall by attaching a workpiece and drawing a fishing line along its lower edge (see photo).
If the outer corner turns out to be too rounded, you can finish the joint with a knife.
To the point where they converge, the line is drawn directly along the future part of the connection. From the point that is on the ceiling to the second. The resulting marking will be the line along which you need to saw off or cut off the connecting parts. Using these techniques, you no longer need to wonder how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth.
Wooden skirting boards are not common and are expensive, so you need to be extremely responsible in their processing. Cutting technology looks like this:
- The cut end is fixed in the miter box.
- The cut is made. This can be done with a regular wood hacksaw, but it is better to use a special saw or metal saw to avoid cutting too wide.
- Edges adjust in place. If necessary, they are ground with a belt machine (or a drill with a grinding attachment), or cut.
- The skirting board is fixed in place with glue or self-tapping screws.
Asterisk IMPORTANT: when adjusting, you need to be extremely careful, it is better to close the uneven cut with a decorative overlay or wood filler than to chise out too large an array of wood.
Plinth made of plastic (polyvinyl chloride, PVC) is now widespread. It’s convenient because:
- Easy to cut with any tool.
- Flexible, can be used even in uneven corners.
- Usually it has internal cavities, which means that it can be used as a cable channel for laying electrical wiring or fiber-optic lines for the Internet.
PVC skirting boards are cut in the same way as polyurethane. However, one must take into account: the best tool, a hacksaw for metal with fine teeth, is suitable only for thick skirting boards, in thin ones it can pull out pieces. Therefore, the best option for thin products is a stationery or construction cutter or a sharpened knife. To use it, you need a certain skill, so it is better to practice in advance on scraps or sheets of thin plastic.
How to trim ceiling plinths in corners
The skirting board is an important interior detail that hides the imperfections of the wall finish joints. It is easy to install as it is attached with glue. But here’s how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners? This will help you figure it out
A few useful tips from experienced craftsmen who will quickly help you cut the plinth in the corners without a miter box:
- ceiling strips are installed after all parts have been prepared;
- if an error is formed at the foam plinth, it can be corrected with an ordinary knife. If it is made of a different material, it is better to use a file;
- you need to cut the skirting boards from the side, and then try them on to the desired angle in order to immediately detect errors;
- before finishing cuts, it is advisable to perform several trial fillets on scraps in order to avoid mistakes;
- it is advisable to treat the joints at the corners of already glued skirting boards with silicone sealant or finishing putty;
- trimming the fillet is required on a straight and solid plane, marking up;
- to mark the outer corner, the plinth must extend beyond the corner to its full width;
- to mark the inner corner, the length of the plinth is counted from the corner;
- A table pressed against the wall may well become a template for a home maker. It forms a perfectly right angle.
How to cut a skirting board in corners without a miter box
The miter box seems to be easy to handle, but the angles are not always 90 degrees. This method will help solve the problem of correctly cutting the skirting board in the corners quickly and without unnecessary hassle.
Procedure to properly cut the skirting board in the corners without a miter box:
- Place the skirting board close to the corner.
- Draw a line with a pencil along the top of the skirting board.
- Do the same on the other side of the corner. attach the baseboard and draw the line. In the corner these stripes will cross.
- Re-attach the plinth, draw the line down from the intersection point. We do the same with the second part.
- Cut the skirting board along the marked strips. The result is an even and beautiful angle.
How to cut a plinth for a ceiling
To quickly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box, you need to take into account what material it is made of. This will also allow you to select the tool you need to work.
On the construction market, skirting boards made of the following materials are most often found:
Polyvinyl chloride has a small price category. But any kink or dent will not pass without a trace for him. Also, the skirting board made of this material quickly becomes dirty. You can cut it with a hacksaw or a construction knife.
The styrofoam option is cheap but fragile. To cut such a ceiling plinth in the corners, you should take a sharp knife or hacksaw for metal. And it is advisable not to put pressure on the material.
The extruded version is much denser than a foam baseboard, but it is more difficult to cut it, especially without a miter box. Tools for work will need similar.
Polyurethane skirting boards are considered the most expensive. It is durable, moisture resistant and has excellent flexibility. You can use a construction knife for cutting.
To figure out how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners without a miter box, first you need to clarify how exactly this is done with it.
How to cut a skirting board with a miter box
The miter box is a carpenter’s tool, which is a slotted tray. It allows you to cut the ceiling plinth at the desired angle.
If we talk about a professional tool, it has a special turning mechanism. This allows you to set the required degree of the angle. It is most convenient to use a miter box when the angle between the walls is perfectly straight.
How to process an inner corner
To cut the ceiling plinth in the inner corners with a miter box, you need to follow a simple scheme:
- Measure the length of the plinth by attaching it to the ceiling.
- Install it in the miter box on the left and press.
- Holding the plinth with your hand, place the knife at a 45 degree angle (should point to the right) and carefully cut.
- Measure the length of the second plinth.
- Install it in the miter box on the right and press.
- Further actions are similar, but the tool must be directed to the left.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in corners without a miter box
Every novice master who has started a renovation sooner or later wonders how to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners without a miter box. The scheme proposed in the article is perfect for both a beginner and an experienced craftsman, so that beautiful even skirting boards please the eye.
How to trim the skirting board for the outer corner
It should be borne in mind that when trimming the fillet at a completely right angle, there will be a strong gap between the two planks. Therefore, you should use this scheme:
- Measure the length of the skirting board against the ceiling surface.
- Position the skirting board in the miter box, holding the part with your hand.
- Place the tool at an angle of 45 degrees. It should point to the left.
- Trim the oblique corner.
- Next, we carry out similar actions with the second bar, but the tool should be directed to the right.
Ways to get a beautiful angle
The most difficult area when decorating a ceiling surface with a frieze is the corner areas. If you just cut the skirting board at the right angle, ugly gaps will remain. To achieve a snug fit between two adjacent products, you must also trim their edges. There are several ways to do this.
Varieties of ceiling plinths
The classification of the baguette is carried out according to the material of manufacture:
- Plaster. The most ancient representatives of ceiling plinths. For their casting, special matrices were used. Various solutions were used as an adhesive assembly. The name “fillets” is also used for plaster moldings. In modern construction, they are used very rarely due to the high cost and inconvenience of installation. In addition, more reliable and inexpensive simulations of plaster fillets have appeared.
- Polystyrene (polyurethane). The most common type of skirting board. Products of this type are characterized by low cost, excellent aesthetic characteristics, ease of installation and a rich assortment in terms of external design. The width of polystyrene moldings varies from 5 to 250 mm. They can be used in any type of room, complementing various interior styles.
- Wooden. Expensive and rather bulky baguettes, with the help of which wooden houses with the corresponding interior are mainly made out. To install wooden planks, in addition to glue, screws and nails are often used.
- Plastic. An excellent option for bathrooms and other rooms with high humidity. Installation is carried out on special moisture-resistant glue or secret self-tapping screws.
When installing the above products, you need to know how to cut the ceiling plinth. This does not apply to plastic products that come with special angled adapters.
How to cut inside and outside corners for mounting quarter round to a ceiling.
What tool is needed
When installing the ceiling plinth, it must be cut to size or in the corners.
The following tools will usually help you to cut the corner of the skirting board:
- Hacksaw for wood. It is used to work with wooden products.
- Hacksaw for metal. This tool is convenient for cutting plastic, foam and polymer friezes. As a result, it is possible to obtain a fairly clean joint without burrs. When working with saws, it is convenient to use a miter box.
- Stationery knife. It can be used to cut styrofoam baguettes without using special tools. The main thing is that the knife is well sharpened and has a thin and even blade. If you act carefully, the cut is smooth, without any dents.
When using the saw, it is important not to use excessive force, otherwise the skirting board will be bent. It is best to practice on some unnecessary piece first. This will allow you to get beautiful fragments in the future.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth. simple and correct ways
The aesthetic perception of the entire room directly depends on the beauty of the ceiling decoration. This is especially true of the quality of gluing the baguette: if it is not difficult to do this on straight sections of the walls, then when decorating the corner sections, you will need to know how to cut the ceiling plinths.
Using decorative corners
This refers to special corner adapters, which are usually completed with polyurethane and polystyrene friezes. Decorative corners are glued to the very corner, and the baguettes are adjacent to them on both sides. Adjustment in this case is either not required at all, or is carried out with a simple clerical knife.
How to cut a corner with a miter box
In rooms with even corners and walls, cutting the ceiling plinth with a miter box is usually not very difficult. The tool has the form of a U-shaped groove with saw guides made at an angle of 90 and 45 degrees. Having placed the element requiring cutting inside the device, insert the saw into the guides. During the cutting process, the baguette must be firmly held in place to avoid defects. Cutting off the plinth is quite difficult, since it is necessary to achieve its simultaneous adherence to two planes. If the width of the baguette is small, then it is more convenient to press it to the near side. “How to cut ceiling plinths. cutting tools and rules”.
How to cut off the corner of the skirting board if the outer corner is being formed:
- Before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth with a miter box, it is washed down at an angle of 45 degrees.
- The miter box is exposed in a comfortable position. This will make it possible to determine the exact location of the skirting board: first of all, this concerns the edge of the product that will be adjacent to the ceiling. To avoid confusion, it is best to place the right-side plank on the right and the left-side plank on the left.
- The surface is pressed against the lower surface of the miter box. In this case, the second part rises, turning out to be the closest. It must be applied to the wall of the miter box in such a way that during operation it will not wobble. With this arrangement, the front side of the product turns out to be turned in the opposite direction.
- The cut must be done at an angle of 45 degrees from yourself. If done correctly, the two halves are folded together to create a beautiful outer corner.
After the correct sawing off of the ceiling plinth in the corners is completed, both pieces must first be applied to the ceiling “dry” in order to check the coincidence of the corner geometry. If necessary, trimming is carried out with a knife. It is easier to cover small gaps with a putty, which, after drying, must be treated with sanding paper. As for the inner corner, it is much easier to arrange it.
The procedure for how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the interior type is very similar to the one described above. The first step is to determine the side that will be adjacent to the ceiling. It is placed at the bottom of the miter box. The reverse side leans against the near wall. After sawing off the plinth on the ceiling is finished, the resulting fragments must be dry applied to the corner, checking the quality of the joint. Fitting is carried out if necessary. After that, one and the second skirting boards are installed on the assembly structure. Small gaps in the corner can be filled with a special putty.
Other pruning methods
As a rule, in ordinary rooms, the evenness of walls and ceilings is rarely observed. With slight deviations, they can be trimmed during the fitting process. If the deviation of the angle from the standard 90 degrees is large, you need to know how to cut the ceiling plinth without a miter box.
There is only one way out in such a situation. to carry out the procedure on how to cut corners on the baseboards on the ceiling in place:
- To carry out the procedure, how to properly cut the plinth to the ceiling, you need to arm yourself with a finely sharpened pencil (with its help you can apply clear marks that are not visible from afar), a fragment of a baguette, a ruler and a good office knife (if a plastic or wooden plinth is mounted, then a saw).
- Attaching a frieze to the corner, make a pencil mark along the outer edge. Do the same with the reverse side of the corner. As a result, the line should form a cross on the ceiling. The intersection point of the marks will be the convergence point for the edges of the ceiling frieze. To transfer the scheme of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth at the corners, the frieze is applied and rests with the end part in the corner.
- Next, using a ruler, you need to connect the edges of the frieze and the markings. A simple operation, how to cut a plinth for a ceiling on a solid surface, will not give a positive result: there will still not be a complete connection along the cut of the corner of two separate moldings. In this case, it is necessary to carry out additional trimming in place. This option is suitable for not very wide friezes (up to 5 cm).
- To trim the corner more accurately, you need to put the plinth on the end. When cutting, the knife should move obliquely at an angle of 45 degrees (so that the edge is sharp). After that, fitting in place, if necessary, then on a very small scale.
- A similar procedure, how to properly cut the plinth on the ceiling, is carried out in relation to the second plank. It must be attached to the place of future installation, resting its end on the adjoining side of the corner. Next, mark the point with the cross, apply the markings and cut off at the bottom. If adjustment is required, then it is carried out even before spreading with glue.
Similar actions are carried out on the outer corner. It is most convenient to first cut one corner, and adjust the second along it.
Docking on straight sections
The most difficult areas when decorating the ceiling perimeter with a frieze are the corner areas. Having passed the first corner, they usually begin to move in both directions at once, gluing bar by bar in turn. If the entire frieze fits in straight docking, there are no problems: having cut both edges with a miter box at an angle of 90 degrees, they are connected with mounting glue. The main thing is to achieve maximum invisibility of the joint.
A slight difficulty arises when the assembly work is approaching the next corner and the frieze needs to be cut to length. This should be done with a certain margin for corner trimming. Experienced craftsmen recommend leaving a stock of at least 10-15 cm, taking into account possible mistakes during registration (sometimes it does not work the first time). After the corner of the frieze is cut and checked, the plank is applied dry on the area remaining from the corner with a straight cut towards the nearest baguette. Marking the length with a simple pencil, cut off the excess at an angle of 90 degrees, and glue the manufactured and fitted piece.
Finished corner pieces
Unfortunately, this method is not relevant in all situations. The dimensions of the corners produced at the factory are adjusted to certain standards. but the skirting boards themselves do not always meet the standards. Of course, such details can be combined, but the result will look unaesthetic. If corners of a suitable size are not on sale, then you will still have to cut the baseboards yourself.
Inner corner cutting
The inner corner cutting technology is as follows:
How to cut crown moulding angles flat (& adding rope lighting)
- The first step is to attach the plinth to the ceiling. The required length is deposited on the plinth.
- The skirting board is inserted into the miter box in the same way as it will subsequently be located on the ceiling. The part is pressed against the far wall of the miter box and held in a stationary position.
- The hacksaw is positioned in the slots that mark the 45-degree angle. The workpiece laid in the miter box can be cut, and the effort required for this is minimal. you should not press too hard on the hacksaw.
- Now you need to cut off the opposite plank. The operation itself will be carried out in the same way, only the plinth must be placed not at the near wall of the miter box, but at the far one, so that the corners can be joined in the future.
- The cut skirting boards need to be joined together to make sure the cut is correct. When cutting internal corners, it is recommended to start working from the outside of the product. After work, it is advisable to slightly adjust the cuts with a file in order to improve the quality of the joint.
By and large, expanded polystyrene is a type of polystyrene that has an increased margin of safety. The cost of products made of extruded polystyrene foam is slightly higher compared to foam, but the reliability of such skirting boards is much higher. It is already problematic to break such a detail.
Cutting styrofoam skirting boards requires any sharp tool, such as a construction knife or a hacksaw. Due to their high strength, it is much easier to work with such products. they practically do not break or deform during operation. There will be less waste in the end.
Cutting skirting boards for ceilings without miter box
You also need to figure out how to glue a ceiling plinth without a miter box. this tool is far from always available. One of these methods involves marking the skirting boards on the ceiling. Perhaps the only drawback of this method is the fact that it is not very convenient to keep the plank motionless while applying the markings. Otherwise, the method is quite reliable. the measurement accuracy is higher, since when the plinth is applied to the place, all errors become noticeable.
Another method is associated with corner trimming of the plinth. The edges of the two joining workpieces are cut at right angles. One of the planks is applied directly to the corner, after which a fishing line is applied to the ceiling along the contour of the plinth. The same operation is repeated with the opposite skirting board.
The point at which the two separate mowing lines intersect is the mark at which the skirting board will need to be cut. The workpieces are in turn applied to their places again, the cut mowing line is marked on them. A straight line is drawn from the mark to the opposite edge of the part. The skirting boards are cut in accordance with the markings applied to them and are joined in place. This method is an excellent answer to the question of how to connect the corners of the ceiling plinth without a miter box, especially when it comes to internal corners.
Wooden ceiling skirting boards differ from analogues. Wood has a fairly large weight, which affects the mass of products made from it. As a result, the skirting boards turn out to be quite dense, very resistant to mechanical damage and hard, which allows you not to be afraid of accidental deformation during installation or cutting.
To trim the fillet out of wood, it is best to use a fine-toothed hacksaw designed specifically for fine work with this material. However, a good option would be a high-quality sheet for metal.
Polyurethane skirting boards are the most expensive products. The high cost is due to a large number of advantages, among which are excellent resistance to moisture, high mechanical strength, reliability and elasticity. For most situations, this option will be optimal.
However, there are exceptions. polyurethane does not withstand temperature extremes. If you place such skirting boards in the kitchen near the stove, then over time, the polyurethane will deform and crack. Cutting of such fillets is carried out with a special knife, and no complications arise during work.
Features of cutting different materials
The following materials are used for the manufacture of ceiling plinths:
- Expanded polystyrene;
Each option has a number of characteristics, so they need to be considered separately.
How to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners. options and methods for plinths made of different materials
Ceiling skirting boards are special parts designed to visually separate walls from the ceiling, as well as to mask the joint between them. Such skirting boards are used almost everywhere and well complement the interior of the room. Installation of skirting boards is quite simple, but it has a number of nuances. for example, to connect individual parts, you need to cut them off correctly. How to properly cut the ceiling plinth will be discussed in this article.
We cut the corners of the ceiling plinth without a miter box
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box? To work, you need a well-sharpened pencil, a small piece of plinth, a stationery knife (for polystyrene or polyurethane) or a metal saw (for other materials), a ruler.
You need to attach the plinth to the corner and draw the line with a pencil along the outer edge, then attach to the other side of the corner and also mark. As a result, a cross will appear on the ceiling, the center of which will mark the place where the plinths of the ceiling plinth should converge. Place a piece of skirting board where you will glue it. Resting the end against the wall, transfer the desired mark to it. This way you can cut the corners of the skirting board without a miter box.
What tools will be needed?
For ceiling plinths, the following tools may come in handy, depending on the chosen method of work:
- Saw on wood. Suitable for working with wooden ceiling plinths.
- Metal sheet. Suitable for other types of skirting boards (foam, plastic, etc.).
- Miter box. The tool is a chute, which has the shape of an inverted P, where mowing lines are outlined at angles of 45 ° and 90 ° for cutting.
- Electric miter saw. Can be used instead of a miter box, helps to achieve high cutting accuracy.
- Jigsaw. Easy to operate, with the help of it you can efficiently and correctly cut a corner without burrs.
- Stationery or construction knife. Suitable for foam skirting boards, it is important that it has an excellent cutting blade, and therefore must be well sharpened.
How to join skirting boards in the corners
When a certain part of the plinth is glued and a small distance remains to the corner, so as not to be mistaken with the length, it is necessary to leave a margin. To begin with, you can cut off a piece that will be 10-15 cm longer. Then cut the corner in a convenient way, try it on a dry surface, attach the plank to the ceiling and highlight the place to which it needs to be shortened. Undercutting is performed at an angle of 90 °.
Next, you need to correctly join the corners. The made ceiling moldings are attached at an angle of 38-45 °, so the classic 45 ° is not always suitable at the joints. In various cases, the cut edges do not join and leave gaps. For this reason, after the initial trimming of the corners, it is necessary to carry out a “dry” and most accurate joining of the baguettes directly to the ceiling. Especially have to tinker with wood and plastic materials.
Having completed the rough joining of the skirting boards, glue or screw the fillets to the walls and ceiling, then, if necessary, use a putty and seal the seams at the end.
You can not make fillets yourself, but immediately purchase those that were initially prepared for docking. This is how they produce expanded polystyrene fillets, which do not need to be adjusted to each other.
The baguette that will be fixed to the left must have a right cut, and the right baguette must have a left cut. When creating the inner corner, make the bottom section rise above the top one, for the outer corner everything should be the other way around.
Attach the baguettes to each other, if necessary, make undercuts at the joints of the base. If everything is in order, the skirting boards can be fixed with glue or screwed to the walls with further sealing of the seams.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners: instructions and recommendations
A high-quality renovation presupposes an attentive and accurate attitude to details. Finishing the work with the ceiling, you need to arrange it well. for this, ceiling plinths are used. As a rule, the installation of slats does not cause any particular difficulties; you will have to tinker with the corners. Let’s take a closer look at how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, talk about different methods, and give useful recommendations
Ceiling plinths from any material can be cut using one of the methods described below. They are suitable for everyone except for plastic ones: they are made out using ready-made corners.
How to cut skirting boards using decorative corners
With the help of them, you can easily and quickly obtain the desired angles in polystyrene or polyurethane skirting boards. Install them on the ceiling, and then glue the strips to them tightly. Cutting them is easy using a clerical knife.
Important points on how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners
Let’s consider how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth and get an excellent result the first time. Follow a few helpful tips:
- Before fastening, both parts must be matched to each other. Place both halves together. The surface of the wall must be dry. Having found defects, you can easily level them with a knife.
- Several trims may be required. Don’t be discouraged if it takes a long time and has to make a few trims, especially if this is your first time doing the job.
- Determine the correct length of the planks in the corners. For the inner corner, the length of the plank should be adjusted exactly from corner to corner; on the outer corner, the measurement is taken from the inner point in the direction of the room.
- If the corners generally match perfectly, but there are small gaps in the middle, they can be repaired with a putty.
Cutting planks for a 90 ° angle
When decorating the ceiling, it may be necessary to dock the skirting boards for external and internal corners, depending on the configuration of the room. Inside corners are available in every room, outside corners are not in every.
Trimming scheme for adjacent fillets
When placing the fillet on the miter box, it is important to take into account that the side of the plank pressing against the side wall of the installation will be glued to the wall, and the side that is located at the bottom of the miter box will be glued to the ceiling.
Planks for a right angle are cut at an angle of 45 °. The fillet, which is planned to be placed on the wall on the right, is cut off from the left end. The plinth is placed in the tool, fixed, then cut with a sharp tool. A wooden plinth is cut with a hacksaw or jigsaw, a plastic one. with a clerical knife.
If you use a hand (knife or hacksaw), act carefully so that the cut is even, the edges are not torn. Having completed this operation with both strips, they are preliminarily applied to the installation site, inspecting how tightly they fit together. If it was not possible to dock the parts closely, the place of the cut is corrected or another, higher-quality cut is performed.
It’s important to know
A joinery miter box is a tool with which you can cut a fillet exactly at an angle of 45 °. The joined planks will form a right angle. A miter box of a simple design is suitable for such work.
Miter box for skirting board
To make the cut point perfectly even, you should use a jigsaw. when performing the operation with a hacksaw, the edges of the plinth will be torn.
The area where it is planned to install the plinth must be pre-leveled, cleaned of construction dust, primed.
Manual trimming of the skirting board may be required if the angle is not straight or the miter box could not be found. How to join the skirting board in this case?
The angle is measured with a protractor, the resulting value is divided in half. The number that turned out in the end is the angle at which you need to cut the planks.
Using a goniometer and a pencil, markings are applied to both plinths. Using a clerical knife or jigsaw, cut off the excess fillet along the marked lines.
Apply finished parts to the corner, check the accuracy. If there are flaws, correct them using a sharpened clerical knife.
A few tips to help you get the job done well:
- The installation of the planks begins only after the walls and ceiling have been finished.
- When making cuts, it is not recommended to press hard on the bar with the tool: the wood will crack with great pressure, and the foam will crumble.
- For joining parts in the inner corner, a cut is made from the outside of the skirting board, for the outer corner. vice versa.
- In order for the work to be carried out accurately, it is advisable to use a special tool (miter box), otherwise you will have to make efforts and be very careful to do everything right.
- To get rid of all the flaws in the cut, you should process the joints with sandpaper.
- Before gluing the ceiling plinth in the corners, the details are tried on, and only then they are fixed.
How to join ceiling plinths in the corners. process features
The standard length of the plinth is 2 m, so when decorating the ceiling, you always have to join the planks. This can be done discreetly on a flat surface, on the inner and outer corners. When working, it is important to strictly adhere to technology, observe accuracy. How to fit the ceiling plinth correctly? What is required for this?
Cutting skirting boards for outside corners
Having learned how to join ceiling plinths in the inner corners, it is quite easy to figure out the process of cutting planks for external.
The plinth is applied to the ceiling, using a pencil, mark the area where the cut will be.
How to join a ceiling plinth
The part is placed on the miter box at an angle of 45 °, cut off. If the bar is planned to be placed on the right side of the corner, then it should be cut on the right. In the same way, cut the plinth, which must be installed on the right.
After that, both parts are applied to the place of future installation, the accuracy of the docking is checked.
Joining planks in non-standard corners
If the renovation is carried out in a house belonging to the old housing stock, the premises may have non-standard shapes: for example, have rounded corners. The work of joining the plinth in such rooms is considered the most time-consuming and difficult.
In this case, the fillets are joined using parts cut from a conventional plinth or using ready-made polyurethane moldings.
They prepare the strips on their own as follows: cut the fillets into parts, taking into account the degree of curvature of the angle, in total about 5. 6 parts may be required. First, all parts are applied to the corner and corrected if they do not fit tightly to each other, or if it is not possible to repeat the bend of the corner.
When all the parts are glued, the part is putty, filling the voids, if any, and only then proceed to gluing the plinth on straight sections.
Slicing without miter box
How can you join skirting boards if you don’t have a miter box or a goniometer at hand??
- pencil and ruler;
- jigsaw or stationery knife.
- One plank is applied to the junction of the walls.
- Using a pencil, draw the mowing line on the ceiling at the place where the skirting board adheres to the surface.
- The first bar is removed, the second is taken, and it is applied at the site of the planned installation. Draw another line.
- The intersection of two marks on the ceiling is a point that must be transferred to both planks.
- After performing this procedure, a cut line is drawn on each plinth (from the edge of one side to the intended point).
- According to the resulting marks, a cut is made using a jigsaw or a clerical knife.
Perhaps the first time cutting the fillets will not work perfectly. It is wiser to first try to make cuts on small pieces of the baseboard.
If you can’t make the cuts perfectly smoothly, you can use special decorative corners. In this case, you do not need to cut the strips. they are installed close to the decorative corner.