How To Cut A Ceiling Plinth With A Miter Box
Features of trimming and joining baguette elements
Before proceeding with the work, it is worth looking at.
- It is necessary to cut the plinth from the front side and along the outer edges.
- When cutting the inner corner, it is therefore necessary to cut both sides of the baguette.
- When performing work, it is better to use a miter saw, but at home you can do with the simplest miter saws.
- For a foam baguette, its edges must be cut at an angle of 45.
- The cut on the right is made on the skirting board that is glued to the left. And vice versa.
- The bottom of the baguette should protrude above the top to obtain the optimal inner angle.
About the installation and repair of ceilings with your own hands
Ceiling plinth is used to hide the unevenness that forms on the border between the wall and the ceiling, to give the interior an aesthetic completeness.
How to glue a ceiling plinth, how to cut it using a miter box or in the absence of a device, such questions are asked by many beginners who prefer to make repairs in the apartment on their own. This article is devoted to these questions.
Everything is quite complicated here, the miter box is not useful, the hacksaw is optional. In houses and apartments with a non-standard layout, firstly, the corners may not be 90 at all. And secondly, they can generally be rounded or have several intersecting edges.
The first, the most collective farm option is cut by eye at 45. For this, the abutted part is taken, which is adjusted to the previous angle in fact.
You can try on the structure by weight, it is quite a long and painstaking business. Need maximum precision!
Continuously try the mate in place as you fit. Only after several fittings can you achieve a good result, and then glue the baseboard to the base. In short, experience is essential.
It is much more correct to transfer the marking of the edges of adjacent skirting boards to the ceiling, as shown in the photo. This technique will allow you to get rid of fortune-telling when determining the points of the corner cut.
It is necessary to use a very sharp tool so as not to sweep the edges. It is advisable not to use a cutting tool with jagged edges at all. That is, a saw will not work here.
In the case when the corners are very uneven or rounded, you can do the joining from several small elements. Feel free to cut the skirting boards into several parts, up to 4-5 pieces. Then, on each piece, cut off both abutting edges at the desired angle. The next one is applied to each previous element, after which the joint is aligned.
Cutting skirting boards with a miter box
A miter box is a device that can be made from:
In appearance, this is a tray, on the sides of which there are grooves at different angles.
- To cut a corner on the plinth, the element is fixed in such a position as it will be located on the plane of the ceiling.
- The part should be correctly positioned and pressed firmly against the base.
- Carefully flattened on the ceiling.
- The desired groove is selected and made with a free hand, preferably with a hacksaw for metal, cutting the element along the groove.
- For skirting boards made of hard material, it may be necessary to adjust the element with a file.
- Do not use much force when making the cut. Otherwise, soft materials may deform and crumble.
Cutting plinth corners without a miter box
Cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth can be done without a miter box or you can make it yourself.
It’s easy enough using several options:
- With the help of scrap materials:
- A form is made of three planks or thick plywood;
- Cuts are made at an angle of 45 in the sidewalls of the device. For marking you need to use a protractor or square.
- If there are no materials for manufacturing, or you need to cut a little, then:
- The paper is folded at the desired angle. It is laid on a block and a fishing line is drawn along which a cut is made;
- The element is placed under the bar and a cut is made according to the template.
- The cutting angle of the ceiling plinth is determined and the best way to cut the part is decided. Wherein:
- The skirting board is applied to the installation site, and marks are made of the mowing line of the cut;
- The part is placed on a solid surface, in the position in which it will be installed. A vertical cut is made with a knife or hacksaw.
- With a hacksaw and from a simple bar:
- The plinth is applied in place of the fastener to the ceiling;
- A fishing line is drawn on the ceiling and wall, which will be the base for fixing the baguette;
- The plinth is applied to the docking wall, and the same two mowing lines are drawn;
- It turned out that two lines intersect on the ceiling. One baguette is applied and a mark is placed at the intersection of the lines, which corresponds to the upper point of the cut;
- The second part is attached to another wall. The mark is also put;
- The skirting board is placed on a flat surface. An even bar is applied to the upper part, and the cutting points are connected;
- A hacksaw or knife is used to cut the skirting board.
After that you can start fixing the baguette to the ceiling.
A high-quality and correctly selected tool will allow you to perfectly fit the skirting board at all corners. For trimming a baguette for the ceiling, various tools are used, which have their own characteristics of use.
This is a special box with several holes. When performing the operation, a blank is inserted into the device, and then a baguette is cut with a hacksaw. The work is done quite simply, but the edge of the part turns out to be quite rough, sometimes the product, especially made of foam, even deteriorates from the effects of a regular hacksaw.
- Electric miter saws.
With this tool, the cut is of the highest quality. When cutting, an electric tool is lowered with a blade on a baguette and the desired result is obtained.
With such a tool it is very convenient to cut a plinth made of wood, as can be seen in the photo, plastic and other products at an angle. The peculiarity of performing cutting is accurate marking on the workpiece, and then smooth lowering of the working saw onto the plinth.
An electric jigsaw creates cuts in different directions, at the desired angle. The advantage of the tool is efficiency and accuracy of work.
- Construction sharp knife.
It is easy to cut foam products with such a tool. After preliminary marking of the part with a knife, the plinth is carefully trimmed at the desired angle.
Despite the ease of cutting, in order not to spoil the new plinth, it is better to use scraps of material and determine the technology for performing the process until the desired result is obtained.
Cutting method with miter box
The most popular mounting option using household tools. The miter box is a renowned carpenter’s assistant, helping to cut at the right angle. This is usually a tray, wood or plastic, with vertical slots for the blade at 45 and 90 degrees. How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth with a miter box?
First, you should attach the material to the ceiling, install its bar in the miter box.
Holding the working material with your right hand, select the position of the hacksaw at 45 degrees and cut.
Varieties of finishing products
This material is intended for decorative finishing of the ceiling area, visually separating it from the walls and covering the joints of various finishing elements. Almost any option for decoration, interior design involves the use of such details. Otherwise, the room will look unfinished.
Fillets are used to fix this part, which are attached to the ceiling with glue.
The choice of mounting option depends on the type of product:
- PVC is the cheapest, but also the most brittle, prone to defects, but easy to use, it can be cut with a knife.
- Expanded polystyrene is also inexpensive, fragile, requiring a hacksaw for metal, although it is easy to cut. Another option made of extruded polystyrene foam is slightly more expensive, it is more difficult to cut, but it crumbles less.
- Polyurethane is the most expensive and moisture resistant, durable and elastic. It is more difficult to work with it, it deforms at high temperatures.
- Wooden dense and heavy material, cut only with a hacksaw.
Corner slicing technology
So, at what angle to cut the ceiling plinth and where does the formation of an angle begin with the help of home remedies?
First you need to measure the angle that is between the walls for this you can take pieces of foam from the technique. Usually the angle is 90 degrees perpendicular. In this case, you need to trim the edges of the product at an angle of 45 degrees.
In the event of irregularities and mismatched joints in the gap between the ceiling and walls, you need to divide the corner radius in half. In this case, do not confuse the details. The baguette for the left side is notched on the right, and the one on the right is vice versa.
Before cutting the ceiling plinths in the corners, form a corner inside the material in the upper space, this decision is based on the fact that the lower side protrudes above the upper one. When performing an outer corner, the procedure is reversed. The texture of expanded polystyrene materials itself helps to smoothly and accurately adjust the details. If wooden or plastic elements are used for the baguette, then you will have to work with them more carefully.
Installation of finishing: features
Many owners of houses and apartments, in the midst of renovation work, are often puzzled by the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners. The problem is that it is not technically possible to make an incision at a 45 degree angle. To perform such manipulations, it is important to correctly dock at the boundaries of the outer and inner corners of the web, which is quite problematic.
Specificity of the ceiling option. Not only in the vertical position of the web.
For the most accurate cutting, a special corner element is used, which is inserted into the edge of the skirting board, it will help to hide the cutting errors. This element will emphasize the corners in the room, the choice of such a detail must be approached responsibly.
Cutting without tools
How to cut a corner of a skirting board without a miter box? It is possible to perform the calculation and cut manually.
By attaching the product to the place where it will be mounted, you can immediately take into account all the errors on the walls.
How to cut ceiling skirting boards in the corners? The secret of a high-quality incision is in making cuts both on the outside and on the inside. The inner cut matters if we make the outer corner.
Usually, professional miter saws or industrial electric rotary hammers are used. But home renovation advocates can get by with conventional tools. The main requirement at the end of the work, the result should be a clearly visible texture for the cornice, reflected on its front or back side.
How to cut a skirting board for an angle other than 90 degrees
Many rooms boast angles that do not correspond to 90 degrees. Such situations arise as a result of shrinkage of the soil and the structure itself, as well as in violation of the technology of wall construction.
In this case, the correct marking using a miter box or a drawing will not work, all actions are performed directly on the spot:
- Before trimming the corner of the ceiling plinth, it is applied to one of the walls and an emphasis is made with its end to the other wall.
- A line is drawn along the plinth.
- Perform similar actions on another wall.
- At the intersection of the two lines, a mark is made on one of the skirting boards, which is connected to the corner of the workpiece. An incision is made along this mowing line.
- Repeat the steps on the other plinth and try on both blanks. Make the necessary adjustments.
- The skirting boards are glued into place, the joint in this case must be tight enough.
Working with outside corners
As a rule, rooms may also have external corners, which also need to be pasted over with baseboards. The question of how to cut the skirting boards at the corners of the ceiling in this case can be solved in the following ways:
- Using a miter box. Almost the same actions are performed as for internal corners. The only difference is that the glued side of the skirting board is pressed against the surface of the device.
- The markup is in place. Similarly to the inner corners on the ceiling, they draw a mowing line and use the same technology. With a rounded external corner joint, the joint is finalized with a knife.
Cutting the skirting board in the corners without special tools
The question of how to properly cut off a 45-degree angle on a plinth can be solved without a special device. To do this, perform the following actions:
- Take a sheet of paper and apply a baseboard to it.
- Draw two parallel mowing lines to mark the sides.
- Then they take a regular protractor and measure 45 0.
- The line of the future cut is drawn along the mark made.
- Before cutting the ceiling plinth, it is laid on a sheet of paper, while controlling the coincidence of the lines and sides.
- The marking from the sheet is transferred to the plinth and a cut is made in the right place.
The disadvantage of this method is the need to keep the saw on weight during the cutting process.
Self-made miter box
The miter box can be made by hand using wood or metal. The width of the workpiece can be different, the main thing is that it does not exceed the size of the hacksaw, in this case it will be easier to complete the task of cutting off the corner of the ceiling plinth.
The manufacturing process is as follows:
- A transverse line is drawn in the center of the workpiece.
- From it, in both directions, measure half the width of the workpiece and make marks.
- Labels connect crosswise.
- Now you need to mark the side walls of the device.
- The walls are alternately applied to the base and marks are made in accordance with the markings on it.
- At these marks, straight transverse mowing lines are drawn along the walls.
- Next, they start assembling the miter box. The side walls are attached to the base with self-tapping screws or bolts, depending on the material used.
- Saw slots are made after hollow assembly of the fixture.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners options and methods
Ceiling skirting boards are an integral part of the finishing of the ceiling space. With their help, cracks and wall defects are masked, they can cover irregularities in a suspended ceiling structure or wallpaper. In addition, skirting boards complete the interior of the room. One of the problems in the assembly process of these elements is the perfect joining in the corners. The question of how to cut a plinth to the ceiling in the corners is solved in several ways.
Skirting board cutting tool set
Working tools, when solving the problem of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, are selected depending on the material from which the plinth is made, since each of them has its own processing characteristics:
- Polyvinyl chloride skirting boards have no resistance to mechanical stress. Even light pressure results in irreparable damage. Therefore, no great effort is required during the cutting process. The question of how to cut a PVC skirting board is solved using a blade, a sharpened construction knife or a hacksaw for metal.
- The skirting board made of polystyrene also does not differ in particular strength, but in comparison with polyvinyl chloride it has a higher quality, moreover, it crumbles easily. Cutting foam ceiling plinths is done with sharp tools, like PVC.
- Wooden skirting boards have higher strength characteristics and aesthetically pleasing appearance. However, the cost of such products is quite high. For cutting wood skirting boards, it is recommended to use a wood hacksaw with frequent teeth, since the teeth of a hacksaw for metal are easily clogged with sawdust.
Choosing the right cutting tool
The primary task is to prepare all the tools and materials. When it comes to slicing, it is clear that the main tool for this job is to do the slicing work. It is chosen depending on what material the ceiling plinth is made of.
- If it is polystyrene, then it can be cut with a clerical knife. This material is characterized by low strength and low price. Despite this, it is considered one of the most popular types of skirting boards. The strength of the material, in fact, is not really needed, since no physical and mechanical stress affects it.
- EPPS (extruded polystyrene foam). Also does not have a low cost. Although at the same time it is several times stronger than polystyrene. With this in mind, a thin and sharp knife will serve as a cutting material for it.
- In the case of wooden skirting boards, things are more complicated. A knife is not enough here, because the material is durable and more difficult to process. But the products have more advantages, including environmental friendliness, noble appearance and durability. over, the price of the product is higher. You need a sharp hacksaw to cut it.
Cutting the ceiling plinth by marking
Another alternative to the miter box. The job is to create markings on the wall. The whole process boils down to the following steps:
- First you need to attach the plinth to its place in the corner;
- Mark the fishing line on the ceiling starting from the rib to determine the level of fastening;
- Then you need to attach the product in the same way to the opposite wall and make an identical straight line. You will have two straight mowing lines that intersect at a certain point;
- Now again attach each of the products in turn and mark this point on them;
- Repeat the procedure again to mark the point at the bottom;
- Use a ruler to connect these points. The angle can vary from 38 to 45, as the wall and angle are not always even. This measurement will be much more accurate;
- It remains to cut the skirting board along the marked mowing line.
Now you are armed with as many as 3 different ways to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners. Choose one of them to cope with the task. And the visual will help you in your work.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box
Any ordinary person can cope with this task. You don’t have to have construction skills. All you need is a cutting tool, a miter box and the ceiling plinth itself. Care must be taken when handling the product. Otherwise, you can dull the tool and leave the cuts where they are not needed.
How to properly cut a corner with a miter box, instructions:
- Fix the skirting board in the miter box as it will be placed on the wall. The side that you will press against the ceiling during installation must be attached to the sidewall on the miter box.
- Insert a hacksaw, clerical or ordinary knife into the prepared gap (under 45), it all depends on the fillet, and carefully begin to cut the ceiling plinth.
- Process the joint and check the correct cutting by placing the product in its place. If the foam product is 2 mm uneven, it can be corrected with a knife. Sand wood skirting boards.
Do the same with the other baguette. Just remember, the corner of the ceiling plinth must be opposite to the first one, so that a right angle forms when joining.
The angles can also be different. For example, a simple wall has an inner corner that abuts inward. The technology for trimming the plinth for such an angle is described above. And here is a visual photo.
And if the design of the room offers a clone or an unfinished partition, then the corners on them are external, directed into the room. Here everything is done the same way, only here the cut on each product is opposite. Compare these photos to see the difference.
A good example of an external and internal corner in a room can be seen in this photo. Here, a ceiling plinth is already glued to the ceiling, which was cut off by the above methods.
Cut the ceiling plinth according to the template
If you don’t have a miter box and you decide not to buy it, then you can get by with improvised means using a template. Only the method is appropriate in the case when the corners of the room are perfectly even, and the plinth needs to be cut at 45.
You need to make a sketch on paper that will simulate the same miter box. The paper should be heavy. Draw two straight and parallel mowing lines on it. Then draw the desired angle with a protractor. Another option is to draw a large square and connect its diagonals. The square should be perfectly flat. This is shown in the photo.
Now the case will resemble cutting a baguette with a miter box, only without gaps. You need to lay down the product in the same way, making sure that the edges are on the same mowing line. And when cutting, it is important to hold a knife or hacksaw strictly vertically.
Tips from a professional slicer
Before you get started, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with these rules, which will not only simplify the task, but also help you do everything quickly, efficiently and without frustration. So, these are the rules:
- Before starting to cut the baguette for the first time, you can practice on a different plank that is unnecessary. So will you fill your hand.
- For correct measurements, you need to measure the length of the inner corner of the plank on the side that is inside, and the length of the outer corner, starting from the corner point inside to the width of the room.
- When installing the product under stretch ceilings, it is fixed only from the side of the wall. Your task is to prevent glue from getting on the vinyl canvas, otherwise it will deteriorate.
- You need to finally fix the skirting board only when the strip is fully fitted.
- With perfectly flat corners, you can adjust baguettes on the floor.
- When assembling products, not everyone succeeds in doing it perfectly the first time. Need a fit. Be patient and don’t give up!
- If we talk about EPS products, then it is not necessary to fit them back to back. After all, the structure of the material is soft. Wood or plastic is another matter. There the connection should be of high quality.
As you can see, the rules are pretty simple and easy to follow. But the end result will only delight you.
How to cut ceiling plinth in corners
At first glance, installing a skirting board may seem easy to you. If you do not take into account some points, then this is true. But what points are we talking about? It concerns cutting fillets or skirting boards. After all, the room has its own corners. And if you don’t have any problems on straight sections, then corners and other shapes can bring a headache. At the corners, materials need to be joined to get a perfect 90 angle.
Therefore, many ask the question: how to cut off the ceiling plinth? This article will help you solve this problem. You will learn several ways to cut the skirting board, the materials used and how it works. So you can easily glue the ceiling molding at home.
Technique for cutting ceiling skirting boards
This method can be used if your corners are even and you want to trim the baguette exactly 45 degrees. To do this, before cutting the ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to draw a miter box on thick paper. Draw two parallel mowing lines and mark the angles at the desired degrees using a protractor.
We place the fillet in this case in the same way as on a traditional miter box. Please note that you need to cut the skirting board holding the tool in a strictly vertical position.
Rules for cutting ceiling skirting boards
This method is used to cut skirting boards in cases where there is neither a miter box nor parts from which it can be made.
To do this, you need to make markings on the wall in this order:
- We put the baguette in the corner to the place of fastening.
Along its one edge we draw the base line on the ceiling for the attachment level.
We apply the fillet in the same way to the perpendicularly drawn mowing line on the ceiling and again draw a straight line along one side. We should have two segments that intersect at one point.
We again apply two plinths in turn and mark this point on them.
We repeat the same procedure now on the wall to mark the place of cutting from below on the products.
We connect two points with a line. It can run at an angle of 38-45 degrees, since walls and corners in living rooms are often uneven.
- Cut off the baguette along the mowing line.
Features of cutting ceiling plinths in a miter box
It is necessary to work with this device extremely carefully so as not to blunt the tool and not leave cuts in unnecessary places. In the process, we adhere to the following instructions:
- We fix the baguette in the miter box in the same way as it is planned to place it on the wall. The side that will be pressed against the ceiling on the miter box must lie against the sidewall.
We insert a cutting tool (hacksaw or knife) into the desired gap and cut the fillet.
- We process the joint of the ceiling plinth and apply it to the wall to check the correctness. The foam molding can be corrected with a sharp knife if the roughness of the end is about 2 mm. A wooden skirting board can be simply sanded with sandpaper. For ease of use, it can be glued to a wooden block.
Cutting technology for ceiling plinths
For a prompt and high-quality work, you need to choose a tool in accordance with the material of the baseboard and choose a cutting method. If you have a miter box, then there will be no particular difficulties in the process. If it is not there, then two options are possible: cut according to the template and measurements on the ceiling or make this tool yourself.
Method for cutting a ceiling plinth without a miter box
To neatly dock fillets in the inner corners, you can do without a miter box.
We carry out the work in the following order:
- We apply the end part of the baguette to the sheet of paper and outline the outline of the convex side. It is more convenient to use a small piece of plinth (if any).
Cut out the resulting template.
We transfer the contour to the surface of the baguette with a simple pencil.
Cut along the drawn curve.
For fitting, one plinth is applied tightly with the end part to the wall, and then the second.
- If there are small gaps, then they can be processed with a clerical knife or subsequently sealed with a sealant.
Selection of tools for cutting ceiling skirting boards
To properly and accurately cut the ceiling plinth, you need to use a suitable cutting tool. It is chosen depending on the material from which the fillets are made:
- Styrofoam. It is characterized by low strength and is relatively inexpensive, and therefore foam models are becoming more and more popular. Their strength does not particularly affect the performance, since usually the ceiling plinth is not subjected to mechanical stress. A regular stationery knife is suitable for cutting.
Extruded polystyrene foam. A cheap material with a density several times higher than that of foam. Because of this, it is a little more difficult to cut it, and therefore a sharp and thin knife is used for this purpose.
- Wood. Such skirting boards are more difficult to process, although they have many advantages (environmental friendliness, strength). They are more expensive,
especially if made of hardwood. Before cutting wood ceiling plinths, stock up on a hacksaw.
- In addition to the tool for direct cutting of the baguette, you will need a miter box. This is a special device made of wood, plastic or metal in the form of a box with notches on the sides. A hacksaw or knife can be inserted into it at the desired angle. Thus, the cutting angle is as accurate as possible.
- We knock three planks of 5015 cm with a long edge into the shape of a three-sided, rectangular box. Please note that an angle of 90 degrees must be observed between the side bars and the transverse plank.
- Before cutting corners, mark the vertical direction with a simple pencil.
Using a protractor, mark an angle of 45 degrees on the bars. Instead of a protractor, you can use a school square. In it, one angle is 90 degrees, and the other two are 45.