How To Cut A Mirror With A Glass Cutter At Home
Not the safest way to cut glass, requiring increased accuracy and mandatory compliance with safety rules. Can easily break glass and launch the shard in any direction. Otherwise, the method is quite effective and can cope with the task at hand. For cutting, you will need a special tool (angle grinder, drill or drill) with a diamond disc 0.1 mm thick.
The cutting process itself is quite simple, but requires a certain skill and a firm hand to guide the tool clearly along the mowing line. We put the piece of glass to be processed on an even place, then take the cutter and draw the line on the glass surface with the disk. The main thing is not to dive into the depths, but only to lightly touch, so that a small hollow forms, similar to a wide fishing line from a glass cutter. Then we just break the glass in the right place.
To reduce the likelihood of glass chipping and reduce the amount of glass dust during work, you can periodically water the cut with water.
How to cut glass without a glass cutter
Before proceeding with a detailed description of glass cutting techniques, we want to remind you of safety. Always wear work gloves and safety goggles when working to avoid cuts and small debris getting into your eyes. Be careful not to apply excessive pressure to the glass.
Another way to cut glass at home without a glass cutter and expensive power tools. To work, you need a file and a little experience in handling glass. Please note that the file must have corners, so a round file will not work.
To cut the glass, it is enough to make several cuts on its surface with the corner of the file. You need to press on the file a little harder than average, so that there is enough force to form a clear groove, similar to the cut of a glass cutter. When the place of the chip is marked, we simply break the glass on the edge of the table or put a match under the place of the cut.
This method requires a certain skill, and if you are dealing with glass cutting for the first time, we strongly recommend that you practice on small, unnecessary fragments before moving on to the main material.
Scissors in the water
A simple method for directional splitting of glass. Allows you to easily cut round shapes, but will not work for straight lines. For such cutting, you will need ordinary scissors and a container of water, which will serve as a kind of lubricant. The maximum glass thickness should not exceed 4 mm.
The cutting process with this technique is extremely simple. We take a piece of processed glass, immerse it in water and cut off small pieces from the edges with scissors. Water will prevent the glass from cracking, allowing you to make controlled chipping. In this way, you can get oval and round shapes.
Having marked the line of the future cut on the glass, we take a file and make a small groove with it from the very edge. Having stepped back 1-2 mm from it, we heat the place with a soldering iron until a microcrack forms between it and the risk. Next, we retreat already from the crack itself at the same distance and gradually move towards the finish point. Thus, glass is cut for a long time, but any shape can be obtained. To slightly speed up the process, the glass can be periodically cooled by applying a damp cloth to it.
If you know firsthand what glass cutting is, then we suggest considering another way of how to cut glass without a glass cutter. With some experience, one drill with a victorious tip may be sufficient for this operation. The main thing is that the drill is more or less new, with sharp angles on the head.
The process of cutting glass with a drill itself is in many ways similar to a conventional roller glass cutter. Of the differences, a higher pressure force can be distinguished, but otherwise all actions are standard. We lay the glass on a flat surface, mark the cutting line, apply a bar, and guide the line from top to bottom along it. Before cutting, turn the tip so that the sharpest corner touches the glass. Having received a clear line, we break the glass along the cutting line of the cut.
The method of cutting glass with a victorious drill requires skill and practical experience in handling this material. Novice craftsmen have very little chance of making an accurate cut in this way, but with patience and straight hands, you can get the desired result.
How to cut glass without a glass cutter
Glass cutting tools were not always as widespread as they are today. In the second half of the last century, people came up with their own ways to conquer this capricious material, without using a glass cutter. In fact, for cutting untempered glass up to 8 mm thick, you can use a lot of improvised items, you just need to have a little skill.
It is better to start listing items suitable for working with glass by identifying the types of impact on this material. The main methods are thermal, when glass is heated in a certain place, and physical, when it is cut by brute force. The industry uses waterjet cutting, when glass is processed on expensive equipment under strong water pressure.
To cut glass by the thermal method, a small piece of twine and a flammable liquid such as alcohol or acetone are enough, a soldering iron and a burning apparatus can also be used as a cutter. For cutting glass by physical impact, you can use a file, a victory drill, a nail, a thin diamond disc, and even ordinary tailor’s scissors. Of course, some of the listed items are difficult to get a good chip, but with the proper skill, it can get quite good results. Now, knowing how you can cut glass without a glass cutter, you can proceed to the process itself.
How to cut glass without a glass cutter
A special cutting tool is required to cut a fragile material such as glass. Of course, glass cutters greatly simplify the cutting process, but you can cope with their work with the help of other handy items. If you are faced with the need to cut glass, and there is no glass cutter at hand, we will show you how you can replace it.
We soak the thread in a flammable liquid and fix it on the glass along the cutting line of the cut. We set it on fire, wait for it to completely burn out and immediately place it in cold water or pour it into the place of heating. The main thing is for the glass to cool down as quickly as possible and burst from the temperature drop. A characteristic click will signal the success of the work done. If the glass is not cracked, you can try to repeat the operation.
This method cleaves bottles fairly evenly, but does not always work with large glass sizes. It is also very fire hazardous and requires a fire extinguisher or a container of water at hand, which is already mandatory.
How to properly cut a mirror with a glass cutter
Wonderful mirrored surfaces, in all shapes and sizes, are firmly rooted in the design of modern homes. This stunning material that magically expands the space has become a real source of inspiration for creative people. Unfortunately, because of the fragility and peculiar way of cutting, creative work with mirrors is not available for many. In this article, we will try to help novice designers and show that everyone can cut a mirror with an ordinary glass cutter.
Safety is considered to be one of the most important factors in any type of work, and glass cutting is no exception. This material, in its raw form, has sharp edges and its fragile structure can contribute to the formation of small fragments. When working with glass or mirrors, it is strongly recommended to protect your hands and eyes to avoid injury. To do this, you can use the following things:
Construction gloves (preferably rubberized). You can use any others, as long as they do not slide too much on the glass surface. For added safety, fingers can be wrapped with adhesive tape over gloves.
Protective glasses. It is not necessary to use special construction. You can wear regular reading glasses or sunglasses. If only they do not obstruct visibility.
Glass cutting of a mirror
The fragile structure of glass can become a serious obstacle when working with this material. If you do not know how to cut a mirror with a glass cutter and are faced with such a task for the first time, we strongly recommend that you strictly follow the following instructions. This will increase your success.
The first thing to do is to prepare the base on which the cutting will be done. This can be done on a table, floor, stool and other places that are suitable for the size of the mirror. The working surface must be flat, otherwise the mirror may crack during the cut. In order to avoid small cuts, as well as for a tighter fit of the mirror, it is better to cover the base with a soft cloth.
The next step will be the preparation of the processed material. The mirror must be dry and clean, free from heavy streaks. You can wash the mirror with ordinary soapy water and then degrease it with an alcohol-containing liquid. You can use special solutions for cleaning glasses, which contain alcohol or a similar component. Wipe the washed mirror dry with a rag or paper (newspaper) and leave it for 10 minutes to evaporate the remaining moisture.
When the workplace and the material to be processed are ready, we proceed to the marking. We take a marker, ruler or pattern and draw the line along which it is necessary to cut. If you do not know from which side to cut the mirror with a glass cutter, then this should be done on the front, reflective surface. Next, we take a glass cutter and, with a confident movement, draw the cutter along the markings.
It is best to hold the cutter perpendicular to the glass, but you can also tilt it slightly (like a ballpoint pen). The cutting pressure depends on the type of tool. The diamond one requires minimal pressure, and the roller is slightly above average. If the cutter is sharp and the pressure is optimal, you will hear a slight crunch. A squeaky sound indicates too much pressure or a worn cutter.
The line formed after the glass cutter should be uniform and transparent. If the fishing line is white and periodically disappears, breaking the mirror along it will not work exactly. In this case, it is better to draw a new one, stepping back a couple of millimeters from the original mark. To avoid such incidents, it is recommended to check the sharpness of the glass cutter in advance and practice the force of pressing on unnecessary fragments.
Having received the correct cutting line, you can proceed to the culmination stage of the work. controlled chipping. You can break the mirror on the flat edge of the table by placing a glass cutter under the cutting line and pushing it from 2 sides or slightly knock with the head of the same glass cutter from the back side. This does not require much effort. The crack will run from the beginning to the end of the cut, like a path. When the required piece is separated, all that remains is to clean its edges with a fine-grained sanding sheet.
If you want to see the main stages of the process more clearly, we recommend looking at how to cut a mirror with a glass cutter. Hopefully the above guide will guide you through this jewelry creation process.
Glass cutting safety
Read the safety requirements before cutting the mirror with a glass cutter.
- Tidy up the workplace, remove everything unnecessary from the table. Place scrap boxes, tools and the product in place.
- Make sure all fixtures are working.
- Put rubber tips on the lips of the pliers or wrap with something.
- Glass boxes are always stacked vertically.
- Be sure to use special suit, gloves and goggles.
- Take your time and try not to make sudden movements.
- Do not touch the cutter line of the glass cutter with fingers not protected by gloves.
- It is forbidden to cut the product on objects not intended for this.
- When working at a height, the glass must not be thrown down. Always take scraps and whole glass with you.
- It is permissible to cut only in the direction opposite to the direction of the cutting part.
- The glass must be installed at strong supports with an inclination of up to 15 °.
- In the process, put unnecessary trimmings in a box and send them to the trash can as they accumulate.
- Remove glass from drawers carefully. If the glass is cracked, remove it in separate pieces.
- You can not cut the product on your knees.
- Use electric glass cutters carefully.
- If the product is brought in from the cold, be sure to warm it.
- Sweep the floor and clean the workbenches with a special brush. Don’t try to blow off glass dust.
- Before you finish work, shake the suit thoroughly, cleaning it of crushed glass particles.
First, the entire surface of the mirror must be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed with a soda solution.
The place where the cutting will take place must be flat so that the mirror fits snugly over the entire surface.
How to cut a mirror at home
How to prepare glass for the procedure?
So that the line of the cut does not “go” sideways in the future, the first thing to do is to clean the surface of the product and rinse it with soda. If stains and dirt are difficult to wipe off, use rubbing alcohol. The old mirror will be helped to wash with special glass fluids. It is not necessary to wipe it off with a cloth after cleaning, as it will definitely leave unnecessary lint.
After that, if the piece does not separate, the cutting process should be repeated.
If you have just purchased a mirror, you need to leave it indoors for a couple of hours, where the entire cutting process will be carried out. During this time, the product adapts to the temperature and humidity of the room. Then, if the mirror was previously in the box, wipe it with paper towels.
If possible, it is better to purchase a diamond glass cutter. it cuts better and has a longer service life.
Make sure that the place where you will be cutting is perfectly level, otherwise the product will not be able to fit snugly on the surface. Think of a soft blanket to cover the tabletop. Place the product in your work area with the reflective side up.
When cutting glass, it is better to use protective glasses.
The main thing is to do the work calmly and accurately, and then you will succeed.
The next step is to mark the cut mowing line. Remember the adage “measure seven times. cut once”? She fits our situation perfectly. After measuring, carefully trace the cut with a wax pencil. Then attach a metal ruler to it. Don’t forget to put pieces of rubber or leather underneath.
In some cases, rubber-padded pliers are used to remove cut pieces of fine mirror.
Now all you have to do is insert the mirror into the previously prepared frame.
Let’s start cutting
The glass cutter must be at right angles to the mirror surface on the marked mowing line. Slightly pressing against the glass, it must be carefully guided in the direction leading to you. Do not hurry. Move the glass cutter gently and precisely along the intended mowing line. If you hear the sound of glass being cut, then everything is going well. A creak indicates that the cutter is broken or you are doing something wrong.
The old mirror will help to wash special glass liquids.
When properly cut, you will see a thin line on the glass. If all goes well, place the mirror on a workbench with the line protruding slightly over the edge. Then press down slightly on the cut part, holding the other hand with the other. The glass should fall off. If this does not happen, tap the entire line from the bottom with a hammer, moving it towards you. Does not work? Repeat the cutting procedure again. Small fragments are removed with pliers.
If you have just purchased a mirror, you need to leave it indoors for a couple of hours, where the entire cutting process will be carried out.
A creak indicates that the cutter is broken or you are doing something wrong.
Be sure to check that all materials are present before trimming the mirror. The table will fit the most standard, the main thing is that the dimensions of the table top correspond to the area of the mirror surface, ideally exceed it.
There are two types of glass cutters: diamond and roller, and a mirror at home can be cut by both.
If you plan to insert a mirror into the frame, get one in advance.
Then you need to attach a ruler to the mowing line, preferably a metal one.
Work should be done carefully, without haste.
The most important tool is, of course, the glass cutter. The tools with which you can cut glass at home are of three types:
- Roller. the cutting part is made of extra strong alloy;
- Diamond. technical diamond is used as a cutting part;
- Oil. have the same characteristics as roller, there is an additional reservoir.
This technique allows you to control the correct position of the cutting edge of the glass cutter and ensures that the glass cutter does not jump off this mowing line onto the line.
If you are wondering which glass cutter to buy, choose a diamond one. It surpasses the roller in both quality and service life.
It is clear that the cutting element must be located strictly on the marked mowing line and perpendicular to the mirror surface.
During operation, the glass cutter is firmly pressed against the surface of the mirror and the ruler.
Another necessary tool is a special thick ruler or square for cutting glass. However, you can use a regular metal ruler, you just need to slightly improve it. To do this, you will need some rubber or leather pieces. You need to put a ruler on them. This will prevent the metal from sliding on the glass and will raise the ruler to a level high enough to stop the glass cutter.
The pressure and movement of the glass cutter must be smooth, progressive.
You will also need pliers and a hammer, which is designed to make it easier to break the glass by tapping the mirror from the back. It is desirable that the hammer is small.
When properly cut, a thin white line will remain on the surface of the mirror.
The specialist is able to determine by ear the correctness of the cutting. by the characteristic slight crackle.
It is highly advisable to cover the countertop with a blanket. The fabric should be natural and have the required density, because you will manipulate the mirror on it. If not used, the fragile glass can crack on the hard surface of the table with any careless movement.
When the line of the cut is ready, the mirror lies on the edge of the surface (table, workbench, stool).
The last element is a water-soluble marker or wax pencil for marking.
If this does not work, then with a small hammer you need to knock on the bottom of the entire mowing line, moving the hammer from its far end towards you.
The work is almost finished. Now you just have to insert the mirror into the previously prepared frame. If not, cover the sharp edges with sandpaper to protect yourself from cutting.
If cut correctly, you will see a thin line on the glass.
As you can see, the glass cutting procedure is not that difficult. The main thing is to do the work calmly and accurately, and then you will succeed.!
If all goes well, place the mirror on a workbench with the line protruding slightly over the edge.
How to use a glass cutter?
Glass cutters are different, but there are two main types:
- Roller glass cutter.
- Diamond glass cutter.
Mirrors play a special role in the interior of the room: they expand the space and make the room more refined. To create a real work of art yourself, you need to know how to cut a mirror at home. If you follow certain rules, then it turns out not as difficult and dangerous as it might seem at first.
Technique safely when cutting mirrors
Before cutting a mirror at home, you need to take care of your own safety:
- In order not to injure your hands and not to cut yourself on the sharp edges of the mirror, prepare thick fabric gloves. Additionally, you can stick strips of plaster on your fingers.
- The eyes also need protection. For these purposes, use cycling, construction or any other safety goggles.
Required materials and tools
Before you start cutting a mirror with your own hands, be sure to prepare all of the following tools and materials:
- Glass cutter;
- Long thick ruler (8-10 mm);
- Smooth stable table (chipboard is suitable);
- Small hammer;
- Fine sandpaper;
- Canvas (a regular sheet will do);
- Pliers with rubber gaskets;
- Capacity with water;
- Alcohol, soda;
- “Glass”, “Tecnolux” or other suitable pencil;
- Patterns made of plastic or plywood. will be needed only if curvilinear drawing is supposed.
How to properly cut a mirror at home if you want it to be round or oval? It is quite difficult to carry out figured cutting with an ordinary glass cutter. To solve such problems, they resort to using special glass cutters or designs from several tools. As a rule, such a system consists of a glass cutter, a suction cup and a scale for determining the desired degree.
If such a tool could not be obtained, you can use a conventional diamond or roller glass cutter. In this case, the cutting process is carried out in the same way as in the above case, but using patterns.
In this way, you can create a beautiful, unique and useful decor element in the form of a wonderful mirror.
How to cut a mirror at home?
General rules of application:
- It is very important to hold the glass cutter correctly. at a right angle, however, a slight deviation is still allowed (in this case, an acute angle will be working).
- The tool must be fixed with the thumb and middle fingers and pressed down with the index.
- The pressing force must be uniform, with the exception of the edges: 5 mm from the edge, reduce the load to prevent the tool from slipping and chipping.
- A thin white notch means that the roller could not penetrate the mirror body to the required depth. A good cut has a dark color (this does not apply to a diamond, as it leaves a thin light strip).
Mirror Cutting Sequence
To properly cut a mirror at home, you must strictly follow this algorithm:
- Prepare your work area and place a mirror face up on it.
- Place some kind of soft cloth under the mirror that can help avoid damage to the surface when pressed.
- Tidy up the mirror. first clean it with a soda solution, and then treat the mirror surface with alcohol.
- Apply the markings. There is one subtlety here: the marking line must necessarily correspond to the mowing line of the glass cutter, that is, move a couple of millimeters away from the future mowing line of the cut.
- After marking, attach a ruler to it. To control the movement of the cutter and to avoid displacement of the cutter, you can slightly raise the ruler. The easiest way to do this is by attaching erasers to the ends.
- Check the tool. For an inexperienced carver, only a perfectly sharp glass cutter is suitable, otherwise the process of work will take a lot of time, or it will even end in failure.
- Proceed directly to the cutting process. After making the cut, position the mirror so that it coincides with the edge of the table and even protrudes a little beyond it.
- Separate the cut piece from the mirror. To do this, gently press it against the table and break off the cut part with a sharp downward movement.
- Sand the cut thoroughly with fine sandpaper.
The mirror is ready! Now fix it in the frame and hang it on the wall.
You are now ready to cut the mirror at home. Observe precautions, think in advance about the design of the element you need, make the patterns clearly, and be sure to practice on unnecessary pieces of material. Then the result of the work done will be as you expected, although it will take a little longer.
Things to consider when working?
As in every case, when cutting a mirror at home, there are some nuances that must be taken into account. Before starting work, you will need to read the advice of professionals and study the cutting technology. All this will help you better understand the process and prevent or reduce damage to the mirror.
You should know such important little things:
- During cutting, the tool must be held perpendicular to the surface, a minimum deviation of several degrees is allowed;
- The glass support table must be level and firm;
- The incision is required to be made in one precise, fast and continuous movement;
- It is highly discouraged to change the pressing force during cutting, only about half a centimeter before the edge of the mirror, you can weaken the force to avoid chipping;
- The glass is cut from the far edge towards you;
- An incision is made only on the face of the mirror;
- When using a roller glass cutter, if the cut is made with high quality, then there will be a dark mark on the mirror, if the mowing line is whitish, then most likely the glass is not completely cut;
- When using a diamond glass cutter, the mark on the mirror will always be white;
- When using a long ruler to prevent slipping, the ends of the bike tubes can be fitted to the ends.
Safety engineering is of great importance when cutting mirrors at home. Compliance with it will save you from possible injuries and will help not to spoil the mirror during operation.
To ensure complete safety, you will need:
- Establish perfect order at the future workplace, remove all unnecessary, containers for waste and the tool required for work to arrange so that they are freely available;
- Before starting work, you need to make sure that the glass cutter and pliers are in good condition;
- The cutting process should be started in a calm state, without excitement, all movements should be smooth, sharp should be avoided;
- To avoid cuts, do not touch the edges of the glass with your hands without protective equipment;
- Do not cut the mirror on unsuitable surfaces;
- In the event that work is carried out high above the ground, it is strictly forbidden to dump the cuttings down, they must be taken with you;
- When removing pieces of mirrors, you should be careful: if they are cracked, you need to take only one fragment at a time;
- When moving the mirror from a room with a low temperature to a warm one, you need to give it time to warm up;
- Dust and crumbs remaining after cutting must be removed with a special brush, in no case must be blown off;
- If you were wearing overalls, then before taking them off, you need to thoroughly shake off.
We must not forget about safety measures, they must be observed during work.
What tools will be needed?
Before you start cutting the mirror with a glass cutter, you need to prepare all the tools, materials and fixtures.
- First of all, the mirror itself.
- The table on which the work will take place. It should be flat and smooth. And necessarily larger in area than the mirror itself.
- Cutting agent. The highest quality cuts can be made with a diamond glass cutter, the roller requires a lot of effort and skill.
- Long and straight ruler, at least 8 mm thick.
- Fine sanding paper. for finishing edges at the notch.
- Pliers with rubber pads.
- Fabric, any fabric can be used, but linen works best.
- Measuring tape or meter.
- Small hammer.
- Water tank.
- Alcohol and soda.
- In order to make the markup, you must have writing accessories (marker, chalk or pencil).
- If you need to cut out curly parts, you will need patterns. They can be made from chipboard, plywood or plastic.
In this case, you will need glasses, thick cloth gloves and a medical plaster.
How to cut a mirror with a glass cutter at home?
Probably, no room is complete without mirrors. They are needed not only to look, they can be used in various design solutions for interior decoration.
If there is a need to cut a mirror, then you need to keep in mind: the material is fragile, which can cause certain difficulties. To avoid this, you can use the services of professionals. But if you are a neat person and use the recommendations of this article, then it will be quite possible to cope on your own.
To those who have never done the work of cutting mirrors, this will seem a rather complicated and time-consuming process. But if you do everything according to the instructions and follow the precautions, take actions calmly and without haste, then everything will work out for you.
Step-by-step guide will help you do everything right.
- A previously prepared canvas is laid on the working surface.
- The next step is to clean the mirror surface with a soda solution, and then wipe it with alcohol. If this step is ignored, grease or dust particles may prevent a smooth cut. This applies especially to roller tools.
- Next, you should apply the markup. It is necessary to check that it is in close proximity to the cut line of the cut (that is, it is located at a distance of 2 mm from the desired point).
- Make the cut using the tips listed above.
- Now is the most crucial step. It must be done very carefully and correctly. Place the mirror so that the incision is over the edge of the table. Then, with one hand, the glass is pressed against the table surface, and with the other you need to make a slight downward movement to break it off. If suddenly this did not happen, then you need to lightly tap with a hammer on the mowing line of the notch from the back side, from the far edge to the near.
- If the part to be cut is too small to break off by hand, you can use pliers or special grooves on the glass cutter.
- At the final stage, you need to go along the edges of the cut with fine sandpaper.
Novice carvers first need to practice on small elements, and then proceed to the main task.
How to cut a mirror correctly, see.
What you need to know before starting cutting?
In order not to spoil the mirror, especially in the absence of experience with a glass cutter, you should study the general rules of such work, and then step by step the process itself.
So, what you need to know before picking up a mirror and glass cutter?
- It is important to keep the tool at a right angle. Only a small deviation is allowed.
- The tilt angle must not be changed! Otherwise, then evenly and accurately separate the cut parts will not work.
- The incision should be made in one precise, continuous, sharp motion.
- The pressing force cannot be changed, with the exception of the edges: approximately 5 mm before the edge, the pressure is loosened so that the tool does not slip and chip formation.
- They always cut from the far edge towards themselves.
- Always cut on the front side (not where the amalgam is applied).
- A thin whitish mark when working with a glass cutter means that the cut is not deep enough. Correct cut is dark in color.
- A diamond tool always leaves a white mark.
- You need to cut the mirror under a thick ruler. To prevent it from sliding on the surface, pieces of rubber are attached to its base (for example, from a bicycle tire).
Do not try to deepen the resulting cut. It will not work to hit the trail in the trail in the laid line along the entire length, and repeated movements will only damage the mirror, and you will have to throw it away (or cut off a smaller part). That is why it is important beforehand to practice “on cats” in the form of old glasses.
What glass cutter to work?
For a layman, there is no difference what kind of glass cutters are, therefore, most often “for one time” those that are cheaper are bought. However, this is not always justified.
Different types of glass cutters can be used to cut the mirror. The most popular are roller and diamond. The second is much more expensive, but it is much easier to work with, less effort is needed, the quality of the cuts will be much higher, and the amount of scrap and waste will be less.
It is optimal, of course, to cut the mirror with a diamond glass cutter. Especially if the work is planned to be quite delicate and accurate, or a large volume is to be done. In the frame of such a glass cutter is inserted a nose made of diamond (hence the name), which has sharp and obtuse corners. In the process of cutting, it is important to move a sharp corner forward, then the tool will walk freely along the surface, without “tripping” over the smallest irregularities of the surface. If cut at an obtuse angle, the cutter grain will either jump out of its nest or “go off course.” In order to maintain the same angle of inclination of the tool during operation, it is important to always point the mark on the glass cutter rim towards the ruler.
The glass cutter is harder to hold the line, and much more effort is needed to get a good cut. In order to facilitate the sliding of such a tool over the surface, the line of the future cut can be lubricated with turpentine, using, for example, a student’s paintbrush.
Before you start cutting critical, “clean” sections of the mirror, practice well to do it on unnecessary pieces of glass. Then the hand will be firmer, and the mowing line will be smoother.
How to cut a mirror yourself if you’re not a glazier?
Mirrors in the interior are needed not only to look in them. To create various optical illusions, reflective surfaces can be placed in blocks on walls, under the ceiling, near wall lamps, and even play the role of kitchen aprons. But here’s the bad luck: not everyone can afford to hire a team of professionals for design repairs. Therefore, a logical question arises for home craftsmen: what to do when you need to cut off the mirror yourself? The author of the site “Miss Clean” figured out this issue.
What to cook for work?
Before you start cutting a mirror for your home decor, it is important to make sure that everything you need is at hand. These are tools, accessories, items for cleaning yourself, as well as for observing safety precautions, because when working with glass, caution should come first.
For work you will need:
- The mirror itself;
- Glass cutter;
- Smooth smooth surface (wide table or large chipboard);
- Long thick ruler (about 8 mm thick);
- A piece of cloth (such as a sheet or old tablecloth)
- Pliers with rubber gaskets;
- Small hammer;
- Fine emery;
- A bowl or basin of water;
- Soda and alcohol;
- Pencil, crayon or marker for marking glass.
For the safety of hands and eyes, you need to prepare:
- Thick fabric gloves (so as not to cut your fingers);
- Patch for additional protection of fingers;
- Safety glasses (construction, bicycle or any other).
At first glance, the job seems daunting. But if you perform it in the established sequence, observing accuracy and precautions, the result will please.
The mirror is cut as follows.
- You need to lay a cloth on the work surface to protect the mirror when pressed.
- Clean the surface of the mirror first with a solution of soda, then with alcohol. Otherwise, grease (e.g. in fingerprints) or dust particles will displace the cutter, especially if it is a roller cutter.
- Apply line marking. It should correspond to the cutting line of the movement of the glass cutter (that is, in fact, it should be at a distance of about 2 mm from the true position of the future notch).
- An inexperienced carver must make sure that his tool is perfectly sharp, otherwise there is a high probability of failure.
- Next, you need to make the incision itself. according to the rules set out above.
- Now you need to put the mirror so that the incision protrudes slightly beyond the edges of the table, press it with one hand, and with the other one sharp downward movement break off the cut part (you need to break it in the opposite direction from the notch).
- If the “trick” fails, a hammer will help, with which you need to carefully tap the line of the cut from below, starting from the far edge, and then repeat breaking off.
- If the width of the cut area is small and not enough to fully grab the piece with your hand and break off, you can use the grooves of the glass cutter itself and grab the desired area with it. Or pick up the pliers with rubber pads. If there are none in the household, you can put rubber tubes on the lips of ordinary pliers, or wrap several layers of electrical tape or plaster.
- The resulting sections must be carefully sanded with sandpaper.
Following the above tips, even an inexperienced beginner can cut off a mirror with a glass cutter. The main thing is to show accuracy and patience.