How To Cut A Pipe At 45 Degrees
Paper mold for pipe
To cut exactly at 45 °, you can make your own paper mold. To do this, you should:
- Measure or calculate the length of the outer circumference.
- From the corner of a sheet of A4 printer paper, draw a line at an angle of 45 °. If there is no protractor, such a line can be obtained by folding together the edges of the sheet adjacent to the corner.
- Put the circumference on it.
- This will be the hypotenuse. Build an isosceles right triangle to it. One side will be the edge of the paper, the second should be lowered perpendicular to the second edge from the deferred point.
- Cut the resulting triangle. this will be the template for cutting pipes at an angle of 45 °.
Paper mold for pipe
It should be wrapped around the workpiece, aligning the ends of the hypotenuse. The cut will pass along the mowing line of the legs. the line should be marked with a marker or paper tape. Further, along the marked mowing line, you can evenly cut a piece with the required bevel.
The method is suitable for pipes with a diameter of up to 63 millimeters.
In addition to mechanical, thermal methods for cutting pipes are widely used. Here the tool is a gas torch (propane or acetylene) or an electric arc welder. Even the thickest large-diameter pipes are subject to the torch. The performance is also quite high. In addition, only these methods provide exceptional mobility. you can cut the pipe in a trench, basement. in places where a high-performance stationary machine simply cannot be dragged and connected.
It should be noted that thermal methods do not allow achieving high accuracy, and it is also not always possible to cut off exactly. However, in a number of applications, such as the operational repair of heating mains or main pipelines, it is not required. After a thermal cut, the resulting edges have to be additionally processed with mechanical tools, the cut line should be leveled and the bevels should be removed to the design values.
Plasma cutting of pipes
The thermal cutting method is also used when working with polymer tubular products. In thermal guillotines, the cut is made by an oblique thin cutter heated to a high temperature, sliding in guides.
The units can also cut at an angle and very smooth, but are only suitable for working with soft materials with a low melting point.
How and what to cut the pipe
Pipes are the most common type of rolled metal and plastic. They are used to transport a wide variety of gases and liquids. The factories produce rolled products of a certain length. To mount them locally in a pipeline, heating system, water supply or sewage system, they must be cut to the desired length. Pipes are cut evenly and with a bevel. For this, many cutting methods and a variety of equipment are used.
Cutting angle calculation programs
A 45 ° cut template can be obtained by folding a square piece of paper in half. To form patterns for other bevels, you will need to perform more or less complex trigonometric calculations. For those who safely left sines and cosines in high school and are not going to remember formulas, there are many programs for calculating patterns for any required angle available on the Internet. The program performs a calculation for a user-specified diameter and angle of cut and creates an image of the piece, which should be printed on your printer.
Important: in the print settings, select the “life size” option and disable image scaling.
Oblique cut at 45 °
Cutting the end of the pipe exactly at 45 ° is possible without the use of complex tools. It is enough to apply the locksmith ingenuity. You will need to do the following:
- Cut a piece of paper into a square.
- Fold diagonally. Learn a right-angled isosceles triangle.
- Wrap the workpiece with a sheet so that the leg of the triangle is perpendicular to the axis, and the hypotenuse forms an ascending spiral.
- Secure the sheet with tape.
- Fix the workpiece and cut along the oblique edge of the sheet. Turns out at 45 °.
Bevel cutting of pipes
There is another popular method. The end of the workpiece is immersed in a container with liquid at the required angle. You need to cut off along the border of wet and dry areas.
This is a U-shaped template, in the side walls of which slots have already been made at specified angles. The pipe is pressed against the wall of the miter box farthest from the master and pressed there with a hand or a hand clamp. The hand saw blade is inserted into the corresponding grooves and sawed. If necessary, cut at a different angle, you can make additional cuts in the walls of the miter box.
For industrial use
Such equipment is used in industries where the volume of work is large or it is necessary to cut pipes of large diameter. In order to cut straight, use:
- Lathe. Suitable for high-precision cutting of workpieces, chamfering, making shoulders, transitions of diameters and other shaped processing. Allows lathe and threading, both internal and external. The length of the part is limited by the overhang of the machine head. Diameter. overhang of chuck jaws.
- Tape machines. They are used to cut large diameter pipe without removing it from the trench or collection point. They also work on deformed products.
- Disc cutting machines. Highly automated machine with pendulum saw and workpiece feeding mechanism. Often included in production mowing lines, used for high-performance cutting of rolled products into equal pieces.
- Manual disk installations. Mobile equipment is used to cut the rolled metal exactly right at the installation site. Equipped with a multifunctional clamp that allows you to securely fix products of different diameters and cut them evenly without damaging the edges. The rotary work table allows you to cut exactly at any angle. The most advanced models are equipped with an orbital welding system. This allows you not only to cut, but also to connect the segments.
CNC Pipe Cutting Machine
How to cut a pipe at a 45 degree angle
Small diameter plastic pipes can be cut using specialized scissors.
When using a general-purpose tool, you will definitely have to use one or another rig.
How to cut a pipe at a 45 degree angle
How to cut a profile pipe straight
It is recommended to use a plumbing square when marking. On the first side, the required size is marked, the square is applied to the mark and the marking line is drawn. Further, without lifting the square from the corner between the edges, smoothly turn it over to the other, apply the marking line, turn it again and mark the third edge. If they come together on the last edge of the mowing line, then the markings are done correctly.
Now you can clamp the workpiece and cut to length with an angle grinder or a hacksaw.
How to cut a pipe straight
At right angles
Cutting accuracy is largely determined by well-made markings. Experienced craftsmen advise to mark the cutting line of the cut not with a pencil, but with masking tape, observing the following sequence of actions:
- Set aside the required size and put a small mark with a marker or pencil.
- Carefully, applying to the mark, glue the part with masking tape in a circle. The edges of the paper should converge without shifting. This is a sign that the paper is correctly applied. If the edges do not come together, the tape must be re-glued.
- Securely fix the workpiece to prevent it from moving and skewing during work. Use a vice, clamps for fixing.
- The cut (smaller) piece of the workpiece should be left hanging so that it does not pinch the blade or disc.
- Start the cut from the top.
- An angle grinder disc (or a hacksaw blade) is guided exactly along the edge of the masking tape, without deviating to the side.
This will allow you to cut straight to the required length.
If the diameter is large, then the marking is performed in the same way, but cut in parts, in sectors of 30-60 °. After cutting the next sector, the fasteners are loosened and the pipe is turned. Then they fix it again and continue to cut from the place where the previous sector ended. To get it smooth, special attention should be paid to the beginning of the cut, avoiding steps and nicks.
Self-made miter box
- 1. First, you need to assemble the box of the future tool. To do this, it is necessary to drill holes in its side walls, for future fastening with screws and, having smeared the ends of the parts with glue, connect them in such a way that both walls are strictly perpendicular to the bottom and parallel to each other, after which we fix them with screws.
- 2. Using a protractor, mark an angle of 45 degrees with a pencil, if necessary, add additional mowing lines for the grooves. The most critical part is the cuts, it is best to make them with the same hacksaw blade as you will be cutting products. Sawing is necessary while holding the blade, avoiding strong pressure on the tool, first we saw one side, then the other.
- 3. We start processing the material. With a clamp or screws, we fix the miter box on the working surface. We make a mark at the place of the future cut on the plinth or board. How to cut at an angle of 45 degrees becomes clear if you press it tightly against the side wall and align the mark with the slot on the template. We insert the hacksaw into the groove and cut the workpiece, while the work of the blade is limited to cuts, which allows you to make the cut as smoothly and accurately as possible.
- 4. Before cutting the skirting board, make sure that the corner of the room is really straight and, if it is not, you need to correct the cutting angle of the workpiece. To do this, measure the inner corner of the wall joint, and divide the result by two. If you do not have a professional rotary miter box that can change the cutting angle by the required amount, then to achieve the result, you need to saw additional grooves at the desired angle in a homemade miter box. This way you can cut the skirting board for the most accurate alignment.
How to use the miter box
A miter box will help you to cut the skirting board at an angle of 45 degrees. By the way, do you know how to use the miter box? The specialists of our portal have prepared for you a step-by-step.
Using a ready-made miter box. How to cut at a 45 degree angle
Often during repairs, you can face a situation when it is necessary to saw off a piece from a part, at an angle of strictly 45 degrees. Typically, this is needed to connect two parts at right angles, 90 degrees, such as: door trim, plinth, pieces of furniture and much more. An experienced craftsman, professionally engaged in repair work, can often do without special devices, and practically by eye is able to cut the necessary part smoothly and clearly. But if you are a novice repairman, and you have a desire to do the work as efficiently as possible, without damaging expensive parts, then you just need to purchase a miter box. a special device that allows you to saw off material at a given angle without any special tricks.
To work, you need to have: a miter box, a hacksaw, a protractor with a pencil, a workpiece made of wood, a screwdriver with screws or a clamp.
How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth
This is an instruction manual on how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth. Considered solution options, as.
Cutting at 45 degrees
But, if you still need to cut a round pipe made of steel or various types of plastics, then you will need a piece for cutting pipes at an angle, the shape of which is calculated manually or by machine. The task is greatly simplified if at an angle of forty-five degrees it is necessary to cut a metal profile of a square section.
For a quick cut, you can use an ordinary sheet of paper folded diagonally, with which you mark the surface for the future cut. Using folded paper, proceed as follows:
- Carry out on the straight surface of the profile in the place where the cut is made, strictly perpendicular to the line;
- Apply a diagonally folded sheet of paper to the side surface with the sharp end to the mowing line so that the top edge of the paper triangle is flush with the top side of the metal profile.
- Draw the line with a pencil along the side of the sheet at an angle of 45 degrees, after which the paper corner is applied to the other side and outlined with a pencil (it is better to use a thin marker).
For sawing, you can use an angle grinder with a disc for metal, first drawing a thin line along the markings, and then gradually deepening it until the edges are completely separated.
For individual use
The following tools are used for cutting steel pipes in households:
Manual pipe cutters. Allows you to cut round parts with an even right angle cut due to the cutting edges of the rollers. There are several types of products of this type, consisting of single rollers or a series of them attached to a chain. In everyday life, such devices are quite rare and are more suitable for professional work.
Angle Grinder. It is a universal tool for cutting any metal parts with different angles; special discs for metal are used for work, which grind down rather quickly during operation. This allows you to accurately cut the line curve with a small diameter disc.
Gas-burner. A fast and effective method of cutting metal surfaces with a hot flame jet; disadvantages include melted edges, which complicate further welding. It is difficult to cut a product with a gas burner according to a paper template, which will burn, and if a fishing line is drawn, then it will practically not be visible in a stream of flame.
Electric pipe cutters. To work with pipelines of small diameters, you can use compact electric pipe cutters, which, according to the principle of operation, resemble an angle grinder. The device is called a roller machine, during operation, the part is installed on the bed and rotates on roller guides, from above its surface is cut by an electrical device. The main difference between the pipe cutter is a metal disc with a special durable spraying for cutting metal.
Some tips for cutting pipes
Sometimes in the household it is required to cut to connect the pipeline at different angles or along the axis. The main tool for these works is a universal angle grinder and discs for metal.
Paper mold for pipe
One of the common ways to make a pattern for pipes with a round surface is a method for which you will need a lined sheet of paper, a ruler and a pencil. To obtain a paper pattern, proceed as follows:
- Draw a circle on a piece of paper with the diameter of the pipe to be cut, break the circle into 16 equal segments, each time dividing large segments into two equal.
- Measure the circumference by multiplying its diameter by the number Pi, equal to 3.14. Lay this size on both sides of the axis of the circle in equal segments, each of which is divided into 8 equal parts.
- Draw from segments on a straight line vertical mowing line up and horizontal from the points set on the circle.
- The points of their intersection are connected with a smooth line and, as a result, a template applied to the paper is obtained, which is cut out and glued to the trimmed surface. For trimming, it is better to use an angle grinder with a small diameter disc. the surface will be curved and when using a large disc, the error will increase.
There are several ways how to cut a pipe; for this, construction and industrial tools are used for metal processing. Of all types, only an angle grinder allows you to obtain curved surfaces without further processing with the closest edge location.
DIY pipe miter box
Using the template is not very convenient. you have to cut along the mowing line, keeping the angle grinder suspended, which leads to large errors. If you have a welding machine, you can make a simple miter box. guides for the disc of an angle grinder, preventing it from going to the side.
For this, a previously made template is used, in the side of which a hole is drilled and a nut is welded. When working, a homemade miter box is put on the profile, a bolt is screwed into its nut and the device is pressed against the profile surface. an angle grinder with a disc for metal makes a cut, slightly pressing the disc to the side surface of the device. It is clear that with long-term work, the edges in the miter box are gradually grinded, and although the process occurs simultaneously on all edges, some errors will appear over time. Therefore, it is better to make the device from hard wear-resistant metal in order to increase its service life and get a more accurate tool.
Techniques for cutting pipes at an angle of circular cross-section
Round pipes of different diameters are cut at an angle when changing the direction of the pipeline, while it should be borne in mind that a straight cut at the desired angle, unlike a rectangular section, will not lead to a tight joint of the edges. Therefore, special patterns are used, in which the marked edge has a curved shape, which makes it possible to obtain a high connection density.
Cutting at 90 degrees
To cut straight across a round pipeline or rectangular metal profile, use a sheet of plain paper. They wrap the workpiece in such a way that the edges of the paper sheet coincide, after which it is fixed on the part with tape or glue. an angle grinder is held near the edge of the paper sheet with a thin line, after which it is gradually deepened until it is completely cut.
Making a template for trimming a metal profile
If you need to cut a large number of pipes, you can make a template from a metal profile of a larger diameter on a paper sheet as described above. The angle of inclination is checked with a protractor or a construction square. in this case, the two edges of the cut template parts are connected.
When working on the part to be cut, a template is put on in the right place and pressed tightly, the markings are applied with a sharpened scribe when tracing the template contour. The part is cut in several passes with a gradual deepening of the groove.
Layout by means of a sheet of paper
One of the simplest ways is to mark the corner with a piece of paper. We fold the square sheet strictly diagonally. We take the pipe and wrap it in a folded page so that the edges of the diagonals are opposite each other. So, on the smaller side of the page, we have an angle of 45 degrees. We take any marking tool and mark the place of the future pipe cut along the mowing line of the page. So that the markings are not accidentally erased, it is possible to use narrow adhesive tape. This method of marking is convenient for a long pipe of huge diameter, and the cut of which is somewhere in the middle.
Computer program to help
I would also like to consider a way to markup using a computer program. This is an extremely difficult way for those who are not used to working with a computer. It requires knowledge of a PC, the availability of programs for scans and drawings. We start with the execution of the drawing indicating the size of the circle and the slope. We make a so-called virtual template.
After that, using the printer, print the image on a sheet of paper. The larger the pipe diameter, the more markup pages there will be. We cut out all parts of the drawing with scissors and with the help of adhesive tape, glue them. The finished template is applied to the pipe, and markings are made along the edge of the paper. This markup method is considered one of the most correct. If the computer does not have such programs, it is possible to use the Internet. It is possible to download a pattern for marking on the net. It also needs to be printed on a printer and cut out. We wrap the finished piece near the pipe and make markings.
Using a container with water
What if we are dealing with a small-diameter pipe, and we need to cut the pipe at an angle somewhere near the edge? A deep container filled with water will come to the rescue. Before starting work, you need to calculate the angle of inclination and make a mark on the container. Then we just have to carefully lower the edge of the pipe into the water and tilt it towards the mark on the container. We remove the pipe, mark the line of contact with the water, and boldly cut it along the markings. This method is optimal when marking a huge number of pipes. A ready-made template from a container of water will speed up the process of our work.
How to cut a pipe at 45 degrees
When installing the pipeline, it is quite often necessary to cut the pipe at an angle. over, the angle should have just the degree that is needed for the structure. If the corner is made incorrectly, it is unrealistic to make exactly the dimensions of the pipeline that were supposed to be made. For example, the pipe will rotate 45 degrees during installation, therefore, you need to know how to cut the pipe at 45 degrees. To do this, we need marking tools, an angle grinder or a hacksaw for metal.
If the pipe is shaped
But, for example, we have a profile pipe, not a round one. Manual marking of a profile pipe can lead to a huge error. The best way out of this situation is to make a template for the same profile of a larger diameter. Take a small section of a profile pipe and use a protractor to mark an angle of 45 degrees. We cut off the angle grinder according to the marking and grind the edges so that during work we do not get hurt by the burrs. Then we just have to insert a profile of a smaller diameter into the template and, having made a marking, cut it off.
In this article, we looked at how to cut a pipe at 45 degrees. Using one of the methods listed above, mark up and cut. For a smoother cut, it is best to use an angle grinder. When cutting by welding, experience is required, otherwise there will be irregularities in the cuts. In extreme cases, you can use a hacksaw for metal. There are a large number of different angled pipe cutting attachments on the market today, but they are expensive to purchase. It is easier and cheaper to make a template for yourself once and apply it as needed.
That is why you will determine how to cut a pipe at an angle of 45 or 90 degrees using a computer program:
Cutting a shaped pipe using a pipe cutting device at forty-five degrees:
Bevel cutting technology
If almost everyone can cope with the task of how to cut the pipe exactly, if desired, then it is much more difficult to perform the correct angular cut of the pipe, moreover, at home. And it is very difficult to cut the end face of a part in a figured way, if it is necessary to insert one. non-vertical, and inclined. a part of the pipeline into another. How to cut a pipe for a pipe is an almost insoluble task without knowledge in the field of descriptive geometry and joint development. There are, however, still applications for the computer, but there must be careful scaling. Therefore, if possible, you should either avoid such profile joints altogether, or use various fittings.
Right angle pipe cutting technology
Excluding the options used in the industry. mandrel dies, radial cutting devices. there are not so many solutions available to the home craftsman. In any case, you will need either a hacksaw for metal or a hand sander. Adjustment is facilitated by the fact that the tubular product always has only linear contact with the cutting plane.
How to cut a metal pipe straight? It is enough to firmly clamp the metal workpiece with parallel clamps, mark the cutting area with a marker and cut to size. Of course, within the gaps between the hacksaw blade and the mounting bases of the hacksaw, backlash is always possible, as a result of which a burr will appear on the joint surface. If, in the future, an inclined section of such a joint is attached to another element of the pipeline by manual arc welding, then this is not a problem: everything can (within reasonable limits) be corrected by changing the thickness of the weld. Otherwise, you just need to select a new tool and constantly monitor the marker lines during the cutting process.
It is even easier to cut the end using a pipe cutter (it is inexpensive, in a pinch, you can borrow from a more skilled neighbor). This tool is equipped with a special screw-type feeder. The sequence of actions using a single-roller pipe cutter is as follows:
- The workpiece surface is thoroughly cleaned of traces of dirt, grease or scale.
- The section to be divided is tightly compressed with jaws (if the pipe is made of soft metal, for example, aluminum, it is better to put a rubber corrugated plate between the jaws: the clamping friction will increase).
- Rotating the feed screw, the cutting roller is gradually deepened into the wall, until the roller cuts through it.
- Change the position of the round pipe by rotating it by 1200 so that the cutter roller comes into contact with the new section of the cut, and repeat the transition.
- We carry out one more reinstallation. and the straight pipe segment is ready. It remains only to clean up the overlap.
There are three- and four-roller pipe cutters, where the cutting process is quite simple, since the number of reinstallations is accordingly reduced.
How to cut steel pipe at 45 or 90 degree angle? First, you should check whether the existing pipe cutter is suitable for cutting a specific part. The following are taken into account:
- Material tensile strength;
- Diameter or wall thickness;
- Condition of cutting edges of roller / rollers and gaps in their axes.
How to cut thin walled pipes
The specification is essential if a powered tool is used. For thin-walled pipes, it is important to maintain a clean cut along the entire wall thickness.
When using thin blades, remember that they generate less heat during operation, generate less tool vibration, cut in less time and waste less metal per cut.
- Clamp the work piece securely close to the intended cutting point and ensure that the work piece does not move.
- Using the template, check that the tool is seated correctly and that the disc is secure by running the sander dry. This is necessary in order to eliminate possible problems with wheel balancing.
- At the beginning of dividing the workpiece, the disc is always fed at an angle of 90 ° to the workpiece, making sure that the protective cover is located between the workpiece and the workpiece. During cutting, it is necessary to avoid hitting the disc on the metal, for which the process begins from the area where the metal is thinnest.
How to properly and safely cut metal angle grinder
This refers, of course, to tubular blanks. If such work is performed often, it is enough to purchase a special angle grinder, otherwise it is better to get a support disk that can support the main one during the angular cut.
The disc rotates very quickly, which causes hot sparks and chips to fly away at high speed. For safety, it is strongly recommended that you protect your eyes, wear gloves, safety shoes and headphones.
Before cutting straight off the pipe of the angle grinder, select the blade that best suits your application. Make sure the maximum rotational speed of the disc is higher than the maximum rotational speed of the tool; this will protect the disc from excessive stress and destruction, eliminating the risk of serious injury.
Abrasive end wheels are used to cut pipes. Raised and depressed center discs are ideal for hitting tight corners and ridges as they allow different angles of entry into the metal; these discs should not be driven too deep, as changed disc geometry can interfere with and damage the rig.
Let’s briefly consider the capabilities of cutting discs that are installed on an angle grinder:
- Blades with aluminum dioxide cutting edges. They are ineffective for oblique cuts, therefore they are used when cutting pipes up to ¾ “.
- Abrasive discs made of aluminum oxide, aluminum oxide or silicon carbide. They require an angle disc, with which they can cut the pipe under 450 easily, accurately and quickly.
- Petal discs. Used for cutting pipes made of non-ferrous metals and alloys.
- HSS discs. The most versatile type of tooling, practically without restrictions on the number of spindle revolutions. Angle disc is required.
Methods for cutting large diameter pipes
The concept of “large diameter” should be considered in relation not to main pipelines, but to those that can practically be found in the household. In accordance with the norms of SNiP 2.04.01-85 Du for internal water supply and sewerage systems does not exceed 80. 100 mm.
Most pipe cutters are not designed to work with these diameters, so you have to use a hacksaw. Hacksaw machines can cut with circular motion of the blade, or with a reciprocating motion. The productivity in the latter case is lower, but the durability of the hacksaw blade increases. Since the cutting process can take a long time, care should be taken to ensure the best cut quality. For this:
- The teeth are periodically lubricated with medium viscosity oil (such as “Industrial. 20”);
- Correctly distribute the maximum force: the longitudinal stiffness of the blade is low, and the tool steel is hard and brittle. Therefore, breaking the canvas is easier than ever;
- At high-speed cutting, due to the heating of the workpiece, a spontaneous thermal expansion of the metal occurs. Therefore, the width of the cut should be adjusted by choosing the blade of the desired thickness;
- Towards the end of the separation process, the cutting speed is reduced to avoid the blade “falling” into the jig.
Additional difficulties arise when it is necessary to saw workpieces made of soft metals. copper or aluminum. “Spreading” the metal of the workpiece on the hacksaw blade degrades the quality of the cutting zone, therefore, periodically, the side surface of the blade should be cleaned from chips.
How to properly cut pipes from different metals at 45 degrees and 90 degrees
How to cut a pipe at a specific angle? It has already been said about a straight cut. Next, we will consider the techniques for separating tubular workpieces from various metals using a metal bench for metal. In addition to the convenience of cutting, the miter box minimizes the amount of sawdust, which is important if the work is done at home.
The locksmith’s miter box consists of two units:
- A manual hacksaw, which has upper tubular guides that allow you to hold the tool strictly perpendicular to the cutting direction;
- A channel-like body, in which holes are pre-made. slots on both sides to help the worker make accurate corner cuts (usually 90 ° and 45 °, but there are miter boxes with a goniometer, on which you can make corner cuts in the range of angles from 100 to 1150).
Distinguish between cast and stamped wort. The former, although cheaper, do not work well under conditions of intermittent bending stresses.
It is important to choose the right version of the hacksaw. For corner cuts, only precision tools with upper guides are suitable, which are additionally secured against bending by spring stops.
The choice of the standard size of the bench is made according to the following parameters:
- The width of the miter box, which determines the maximum diameter of the workpiece.
- The length of the miter box, with an increase in which the cutting accuracy increases.
- The presence of a goniometer.
- The depth and width of the through cuts in the side walls of the channel: the deeper they are, the less sensitive the miter box is to changes in cutting conditions. the state of lubrication, an increase in the temperature of the hacksaw blade and the workpiece. On the other hand, when sawing large diameter pipes, the increased width of the cuts will negatively affect accuracy.
- Body material: steel (cast or stamped) miter boxes should definitely be preferred over plastic ones, although the latter are lighter.
How to cut a pipe at a 45 degree angle? When working with a miter box, first you need to saw down the material, and then, making sure that the wall is perpendicular, gradually increase the pressure on the hacksaw blade.
What tools are used to cut pipes
Now in the arsenal of almost any home craftsman there is a universal grinder. “angle grinder”. How to work with her?
What and how not to cut polypropylene
The ease of cutting polypropylene pipes creates the illusion that special tricks are not required when separating such plastic. But this is not the case. The following types of tools are practically used:
- Pipe cutters with rotary knives.
- Ratchet pipe cutters.
- Hand saw.
- Electric miter saw.
A hand hacksaw should be put in last place in terms of cut quality. Not only does it leave the largest amount of shavings (which, by the way, is quite difficult to remove), but at the end of the separation you will get a rough burr, which will have to be cut with a file (have you tried cleaning such a file after working with plastic?).
The miter saw is fast. Even too fast to stop the tool in time after the workpiece has been split. If you miss a little. and injury is inevitable.
Therefore, this type of equipment should be used only when it is necessary to cut / trim polypropylene pipes of large diameter and with thick walls.
The ratchet pipe cutter will give you the best cut quality. and arthrosis, because the handles of the cutter require a lot of force at all times. Therefore, pipe cutters with a ratchet are good for single cuts.
What is left? That’s right, a pipe cutter with rotating knives.
Successful corner cutting of circular pipe requires some skill and dexterity. It is best to use a miter box, and when using a power tool, special angle discs that support the main.
-advice on how to cut straight off a round pipe angle grinder: