How to cut a pipe at an angle of 90 degrees
easy ways to cut a pipe evenly with an angle grinder: a master class
Very many people who have not encountered complex work using angle grinders (angle grinder) consider working with an angle grinder elementary. But to learn how to use such a tool, it is not enough to saw off a couple of bars of rebar. In fact, it is a whole science with lots of nuances and rules. Today’s article will talk about only a small part of this kind of work. The editors of HouseChief offer the reader to figure out the easiest way to cut a cylindrical (plumbing) or profiled (square) pipe evenly at a certain angle.
The usual 90º perpendicular cutting
Some people think that you don’t even need to make any markings here, especially if you have a large angle grinder with a large cutting disc in your hand. Afterwards, however, when aligning pipes cut without marking, problems can arise. In order to avoid them, you can use the usual duct tape or masking tape, which is glued around the pipe. In doing so, its edges at the start and end point should be perfectly aligned. If everything is done correctly, after cutting the two pipes will fit together, forming a perfectly straight line, without unnecessary gaps.
How to correctly cut pipes of different metals at 45 degrees and 90 degrees
How to cut a pipe at a specific angle? Straight-line cutting has already been mentioned. Next, let’s consider the methods of cutting tubular blanks made of different metals using a metal locksmith’s chair. In addition to the convenience of the cut, the wire cutter minimizes the amount of sawdust, which is important if the work is done at home.
A locksmith’s chair consists of two assemblies:
- A handheld hacksaw, which has upper tubular guides that allow the tool to be held strictly perpendicular to the direction of cutting;
- The body is made of a channel-like body, which has holes. slots on both sides, to help the user to make precise angular cuts (usually 90 ° and 45 °, but there are chisels with angle measurements, which can perform angular cuts in the range from 100 to 1150 angles).
A distinction is made between cast and pressed wort. The former are cheaper, but do not work well under the conditions of periodic bending stresses.
It is important to choose the right design of the hacksaw. Only high-precision tools with upper rails that are additionally protected from bending by spring stops are suitable for making angular cuts.
Selection of the size of the locksmith’s chair is made according to the following parameters:
- Width of the jig, which defines the maximum diameter of the workpiece.
- Length of the jigsaw, with the increase of which the accuracy of the cut increases.
- Angle gauge.
- depth and width of through cuts in the side walls of the channel: the deeper they are, the less sensitive the tool is to cutting conditions. the state of lubrication, the increased temperature of the hacksaw blade and the workpiece. On the other hand, when sawing large-diameter pipes, increased kerf width has a negative impact on accuracy.
- Case material: steel (cast or stamped) jars should be definitely preferred to plastic jars, even though the latter are lighter.
How to cut a pipe at a 45 degree angle? When working with a metal pliers, you must first file the material, and then, making sure the wall is perpendicular, gradually increase the pressure on the hacksaw blade.
How to cut a profiled tube evenly
You can saw a profile pipe in a similar way, but it will be easier to use an angle piece. The device is applied in turn to each side, for which the element to be cut will need to be rotated, and a marking is made. Next, the pipe should be secured firmly, and you can begin the work. For sawing you can use any suitable tool. If you have to cut a lot of pipe, it is advisable to make full-fledged templates from scraps. In this case you will have to measure only once.
When it is necessary to cut a large diameter pipe, you can use a number of special devices and tools. This may be necessary if, for example, a pipeline needs to be repaired.
- angle grinder. The use of an angle grinder is justified in terms of the availability of the tool and the comparative cheapness of the work. However, you should not count on high productivity in this case, in addition, to carry out work in this way is associated with considerable risk.
- Roller grinder. Such devices are also often called pipe cutters. In fact, such a device is the same angle grinder, but more adapted for this type of work. The machine includes a special base, where the element to be cut is fixed, as well as a cage with installed cutting rollers that perform the actual work. It is important to understand that each machine tool must be purchased for specific tasks, that is, for the size of pipes.
- Gas cutting. This option is most often used when working with large diameters. Cutting is done by high intensity flame, and the cuttings are blown away by the rush of the gas. The method can be considered the most practical and effective.
Gas cutting is the fastest method here
View the gas cutter on AliExpress →
There are other options for the task, such as plasma, waterjet or laser cutting, but they are hardly ever used in private use.
How to cut a square section pipe
You can saw a shaped tube in a similar way, but it would be easier to use an angle piece. The device is applied in turn to each side, for which the cut element will need to be rotated, and a marking is made. After that you need to fix the tube firmly, and then you can begin the work. Any suitable tool can be used for the sawing process. If you have to cut a lot of pipes, then it is advisable to make full templates from scraps. In this case, measuring and marking work will only have to be done once.
When it is necessary to cut a pipe with a large diameter, a number of special devices and tools can be used. This may be required, for example, if it is necessary to repair the pipeline.
- angle grinder. The use of an angle grinder is justified in terms of the availability of the tool and the comparative cheapness of the work. However, you should not count on high productivity in this case, in addition, carrying out works in this way involves considerable risk.
- Rolling machine. Such devices are also often called pipe cutters. In fact, such a device is the same angle grinder, but more adapted for this type of work. The machine includes a special base where the element to be cut is fastened, and a cage with installed cutting rollers which do the actual work. It is important to understand that each machine must be purchased for specific tasks, that is, for the size of the pipe.
- Gas cutting. This is the most commonly used option when cutting large diameters. Cutting is done with a high-pressure flame, and the waste products are blown out with a gas pressure. The method can be considered the most practical and effective.
Gas cutting in this case is the fastest option
Watch the gas cutter on AliExpress →
There are other variants of implementing the task, such as the use of plasma, waterjet or laser cutting, but in private use, they are practically not used.
How to cut a cast iron pipe
If the pipe is made of cast iron, then to cut it accurately you will need to apply a certain knowledge. The fact is that this material is characterized by high fragility, which means that before cutting such a pipe, you need to determine the algorithm of action.
- Mark it in the same way as for the steel pipes.
- At the place where the cut is made, a wooden bar should be placed as a support.
- Next, you need to make a cut of a few millimeters around the circumference.
- After that, a chisel is inserted into the groove and you need to make a sharp and strong blow with a hammer.
As a result, it will split along the line, forming a fairly even cut, which, if necessary, can be further processed.
SEE the pipe trimmer for steel pipes on AliExpress →
Cut at 90 degrees
To cut a round pipeline or metal profile with a rectangular cross-section evenly, use a sheet of ordinary paper. It is wrapped around the workpiece so that the edges of the paper sheet coincide, and then it is fixed on the part with tape or glue. Angle grinder draw a thin trimmer line near the edge of the paper sheet, and then gradually deepen it until it is completely cut out.
Metal profile or round tube can be sawed with a template, putting on them evenly cut element with a large inner diameter.
To obtain the branching of metal pipe lines in the form of tees, a collar cut-in is used, for which it is necessary to cut the edge of the round tube adjacent to the walls of the other at right angles. To implement the method proceed as follows:
- cut the edges of the workpiece at right angles using the above method.
- Mark four equidistant points at angles of 90 and 180 degrees to each other on the circular end face.
- Measure the circumference and divide the resulting diameter by 3. From two diametrically located points, the resulting distance is deferred, then these points are connected to the other two by a smooth arc, drawing a line for the trimmer with a marker.
- According to the markings make a cut with an angle grinder and separate semicircular segments, after which the part is ready for welding. With small inaccuracies in the mating, it can be sealed with a sledgehammer against the round surface of the other element.
Block: 3/9 | Number of characters: 1521
Using a water tank
What to do if we are dealing with a pipe of small diameter and we need to cut the pipe at an angle somewhere near the edge? A deep reservoir filled with water will help. Before starting the work it is necessary to calculate the angle of inclination and make a mark on the vessel. Then all we have to do is gently lower the edge of the pipe into the water and bend it toward the mark on the tank. Pull out the pipe, mark the line for the trimmer contact with the water, and boldly cut along the marking. This method is good for marking a large number of pipes. A prefabricated water container template will speed up our work.
Round pipes of different diameters are cut at an angle when changing the direction of the pipeline, it should be borne in mind that a straight cut at the right angle, unlike a rectangular cross-section will not lead to a tight connection of the edges. That is why special patterns are used, in which the edge to be marked has a curvilinear shape, allowing to obtain a high tightness of connection.
A paper template for a pipe
One common way to make a template for pipes with a circular surface is the method for which you need a ruled sheet of paper, a ruler and a pencil. To get a paper template, do the following:
- Draw a circle on a piece of paper with the diameter of the pipe to be cut, divide the circle into 16 equal segments, each time dividing the larger segments into two identical.
- Measure the length of the circle by multiplying its diameter by the number Pi equal to 3.14.Postpone this size on both sides from an axis of a circle by equal pieces, each of which divide into 8 equal-sized parts.
- Carry out from the segments in a straight line vertical lines upwards and horizontal lines from the points put on the circle.
- The places of their intersection are connected by a smooth line and the result is a paper template, which is cut out and glued to the surface to be trimmed. For trimming it is better to use an angle grinder with a disc of small diameter. the surface will be crooked and using a large disc will increase error.
Block: 4/9 | Number of characters: 1506
Cut the pipe at a 45 degree angle
Most often it must be done during installation of plumbing and heating and assembly of frame structures. Cut the pipe under 45 degrees angular grinder can be on the markings, which make or sheet of paper of the same format A4, or use an ordinary school (drawing) isosceles angle.
Use a sheet of paper or cardboard
With the sheet have to do a few operations to get the right angle. If you do not want to get tangled in the folds, just make it square and fold it diagonally. you get the right angle. You can do the same with any sheet, as long as its sides are equal to each other. The method is convenient in that it can be applied to large-diameter pipe, and to [square and rectangular section profile pipes].
IMPORTANT: Steel water and gas pipe
Marking with a square
If there is an angle at hand, you must first determine the exact line to trim the end of the pipe, including the profile. Applying the tool and smoothly moving it over the surface, we will get a line for the trimmer cut at 45 degrees. The same technique is used with a 30 degree angle.
Using a computer program
To implement this method of marking pipes for cutting will require a computer with special programs. First you need to make a drawing that shows the transverse dimensions of the product, as well as the planned angle of the cut. You need to get a virtual template.
Read also: How to measure the density of the battery
Print it out on a printer. And here it is worth understanding that the larger the diameter of the pipe, the more sheets are needed to print it. Then you need to carefully cut out the details of the drawing from all pages and glue, it is best to use office tape for this. It remains to attach the template to the pipe and apply the markings.
This method of solving the problem is characterized by high accuracy. All necessary programs can be downloaded from the Internet, they are free to download and use. There you will also find a template for cutting pipes at an angle. We just need to print it out and cut it. To make the marking the template is simply wrapped around the pipe.
If the pipe is a profile
Angle–cutting a profile tube according to the markings
And here, for example, we have a profile pipe, not a round one. Marking profiles by hand can be very inaccurate. The best way out of this situation will be a template made of the same profile of a larger diameter. Let’s take a small section of the profile pipe and use the angle gauge to mark the angle of 45 degrees. We cut off on a marking with the angle grinder and grind the edges, so we don’t hurt ourselves with burrs. Further we have only to insert the profile of a smaller diameter into the template and, having made the marks, cut it.
Angle cutting a shaped tube at an angle in a handmade machine
In this article, we looked at how to cut the pipe at 45 degrees. Using one of the above methods, make a marking and perform the cut. For a smoother cut, it is better to use an angle grinder. When cutting by welding you need experience, otherwise the cuts will be uneven. As a last resort, you can use a metal saw. Currently on sale there are many different devices for cutting pipes at an angle, but their purchase requires unnecessary costs. It is easier and cheaper to make a template once and use it as needed.
How to cut a round pipe for welding at a 45 degree angle
To weld one round tube to another at a 45 degree angle, it is necessary to trim it each time for a tighter fit.
In this review the author shows how to make a simple template that will allow you to spend less time fitting round pipes.
The first thing to do is to make a sample, from which you can make a template.
To do this, the author cuts the pipe of the desired diameter at a 45 degree angle.
We also recommend to read: how to make a mini machine for trimming saddles at the ends of pipes.
After that we adjust the workpiece so that it fits the pipe as tightly as possible.
Basic steps of work
The next step is to cut the sheet of paper and wrap it around the workpiece.
Firmly press and smooth with fingers to “imprint” the place of the cut. Then wrap the edges of the sheet inside the pipe.
Then remove the sheet of paper from the pipe, unfold it and trace the resulting contour with a pencil. Cut out with scissors.
- The result is a reusable template that can be used to make marks on other blanks.
- How to fit square pipes for angle welding.
- In the same way we can make a paper template to cut round pipes for welding at an angle of 90 degrees.
For more information on how to make such simple templates and how to use them, watch the video below.
How to correctly weld a fitting
In order to perform a beautiful and reliable installation of the pipeline and weld a branch to the pipe 90 degrees you need to choose the right welding machine and electrodes. This information is better to seek specialized forums where experts will be happy to tell what kind of electrodes and welding machine operating modes they use in professional work.
Pipe parts are welded butt-welded, which is when the edges are flush to each other. The thickness of the electrode for such works is 2-3 mm at a welding voltage of 80-110 Ampere. In order to get inside as little as possible of the burnt metal, the electrode should be placed at an angle of 45 O to the surface. Round pipes should preferably be welded in one continuous weld seam. After welding wait until the weld is completely cooled down and the slag is repulsed, and only then move on to the next weld.
In order to get beautiful and smooth joints it is necessary to have a good hand, so do not despair if you do not succeed at once. Practice welding just small pieces of pipe beforehand. And only after that you should proceed directly to the welding of the pipeline.
When installing piping, it is often necessary to cut the pipe at a certain angle. When performing this task, precision plays a major role. There are several simple ways to cut a pipe at an angle.
Incorrect pipe cutting will result in the inability to install the structure in the shape that was originally intended. For example, if it is planned to turn the system by 45 degrees, it is necessary to make the cut of the pipe at 45 degrees. To perform the task you will need tools for marking and angle grinder (it can be replaced with a hacksaw for metal).
How to mark the place of the cut at 45º on the profiled pipe
Some “experts” argue that with a square cross section, which has a profile pipe, you can make a marking for the cut at 45º with a regular tape measure. The editors of HouseChief do not advise the reader of such a method, unless it is planned to spoil the material. The fact that when measuring with a tape measure is very difficult to perform such work perfectly. A school ruler in the form of an equilateral triangle will be just right.
An excellent tool not only for school, but also for working with metal To begin with, a straight stripe is outlined on one of the faces, perpendicular to the edge of the pipe. Next, the product is rotated, and on the adjacent edge is applied oblique marking, running from the edge of the first strip at an angle of 45º. Here it is not necessary to measure anything, everything is already made by the manufacturer of a triangular ruler. After that, the profile tube is turned again and perpendicular. Now it remains only to connect the beginning and the end of the line on the fourth edge diagonally. Everything, you can safely work with an angle grinder. such cuts will perfectly join into a right angle of 90º. For convenience, you can glue on the edge of the strip with masking tape. It will add clarity and simplify the cutting directly on the line.
For convenience of marking, if you have time, you can weld such a template
Cutting under 45 degrees
But, if it is still necessary to cut a pipe of circular cross-section made of steel or various kinds of plastic, then this requires a template for cutting pipes at an angle, the shape of which is calculated by hand or machine. The task is greatly simplified if at an angle of forty-five degrees it is necessary to cut a metal profile with a square cross-section.
For hasty trimming, you can use an ordinary sheet of paper folded diagonally, with which to mark the surface for the future cut. Using a folded paper, proceed as follows:
- On the straight surface of the profile in the place where you make the cut, hold a line strictly perpendicular to the trimmer;
- lay the folded diagonally folded sheet of paper against the side surface with its sharp end against the line so that the upper edge of the paper triangle is flush with the upper side of the metal profile.
spend a pencil line for a trimmer on the side of the sheet at an angle of 45 degrees, then the paper corner is attached to the other side and outline it with a pencil (it is better to use a thin marker).
For sawing, you can use an angle grinder with a disc for metal, first conducting a thin line for a trimmer on the markings, then gradually deepening it to complete separation of the edges.
Making a template for cutting steel profile
If you need to cut a large number of pipes, you can make a template from metal profile of a larger diameter on a paper sheet using the above method. The angle of inclination is checked with a protractor or a construction angle piece. in this case, the two edges of the cut parts of the template are connected.
When working on the workpiece to be cut in the right place put the template and pressed firmly, the markings are made with a sharpened eraser when outlining the template contour. The part is cut in several steps with gradual deepening of the groove.
The chair for cutting pipes with your own hands
Using a template is not very convenient. you have to make a cut along the line, holding the angle grinder by weight, which leads to large errors. If you have a welding machine, you can make a simple jig. guides for the disc of the angle grinder, preventing it from going sideways.
To do this, use a previously made template, in the side of which a hole is drilled and a nut is welded. When working, the homemade jig is put on the profile, a bolt is screwed into its nut and the device is pressed against the profile surface. Angle grinder with a metal disc make a cut, slightly pressing the disc against the side surface of the device. It is clear that with prolonged work the edges in the chair gradually grind, and although the process occurs simultaneously on all edges, over time there will be some errors. Therefore, it is better to make the device from hard, wear-resistant metal, to increase its life and obtain a more accurate tool.
Methods of cutting pipes at an angle
Considering the methods of work. cutting straight or at an angle. it is necessary to take into account the different material of products to be processed. Thus, it is easier and easier to cut polypropylene or thin copper sleeves than thick-walled steel pipes.
Plastic products of small diameters are cut at the right angle using special scissors. You can control the angle with an ordinary protractor. Cutting plastic pipes is also made with a regular hacksaw with a fine-toothed blade.
The most common installation requirement is cutting water, sewer and vent pipes at a 45º angle.
Let’s find out what tools can be used for cutting at different angles.
Paper template for a pipe
To perform a relatively precise cut you can use a simple technique, where an ordinary sheet of paper acts as a kind of template. For example, printer’s paper of A4 format is well suited to create a mold.
The sheet is preliminarily marked to square using a ruler. The size of the diagonal of the square must be equal to the length of the circumference of the tube to be cut. Trim off any excess sheet metal.
- Fold the sheet diagonally, aligning the opposite corners.
- Turn the resulting triangle so that the line for the hypotenuse trimmer is perpendicular to the pipe axis.
- In this position, wrap the paper around the pipe surface, aligning the extreme points of the hypotenuse together.
- Use a marker to mark the cut along the line of any of the triangle’s cathetuses.
- Cut the pipe along the marked line.
It is convenient to use this method to mark and cut pipes at a 45º angle within the diameter range of 32 to 63 mm. For greater convenience of marking it is recommended to take a thick, but soft paper. You can also use paronite and similar materials.
How to choose the right pipe cutter for plastic pipes and how to use it in practice is described in detail in our article.
Properly made templates for the shape cutting of the pipe allow making the cuts with utmost accuracy. However, a gap between the prepared workpieces cannot be ruled out. In the connection of metal pipes it is “closed” by a welded seam, when joining plastic parts, a specialized cord for soldering is used.
Cutting Angle Calculation Programs
The technology of cutting according to the templates allows to obtain different cutting angles. But to form a template for angles other than 45º, you will already need to perform mathematical calculations and according to the calculated data to cut a template from paper or similar materials.
It is true that there are computer programs designed to save the master from making calculations. Such programs print out patterns for pipe cutting.
A simple calculation program based on MS Excel makes it possible to calculate and form a template for practically all pipe diameters and required cutting angles.
All the user has to do is enter the appropriate values into the “outside diameter” and “cut angle” cells. According to these parameters a pattern is formed which can be printed.
The pipe-cutting chisel
There is a simple tool, often used in everyday life, mostly for woodworking. It’s called a chisel. Well, this same device is suitable for cutting pipes, and at different angles.
Chisel is available for sale, but if you want it can always be made with your own hands and adjust the design to the desired diameter of the pipe: