How to cut a pipe evenly with an angle grinder. What are the best electrodes for welding profile tube?.5 to 3 mm.
How to saw off a pipe evenly with an angle grinder, safety rules
Working with an angle grinder seems simple and straightforward at first glance. But this is only for those who have never encountered sawing off a pipe. To do it smoothly, take into account the main nuances and tricks important in the work. In particular, pre-marking and holding the angle grinder in a certain position when working at high speeds play a huge role.
The use of grinding and cutting power tools is classified as hazardous activities. Therefore, when working with an angle grinder you need to consider the possibility of direct or indirect effects of health hazards:
- cold or heat;
- poor lighting of the workplace;
- strong noise, vibration from the machine;
- A large physical load;
- rotating parts of the equipment;
- falling objects (materials being worked on);
- flying sparks and solid particles of parts;
- working at height, in depth or in a confined space that is difficult to access;
- danger of electrical injuries.
To minimize the effects of hazards, and as a consequence, to save life and health, you can follow the safety rules for the operation of devices with open rotating parts. This requires the use of personal protective equipment (abbreviated PPE), good fastening of the work pieces, choosing a safe place, starting and finishing work correctly.
Personal protective equipment
The name PPE, or personal protective equipment means means for individual use, which are used to protect against contamination, prevent or reduce the effects of harmful and dangerous factors. For most workers, these are protective clothing appropriate to the profession. It usually includes pants, jacket, headgear, closed shoes. Since the angle grinder is a high-risk tool, clothing is supplemented by other protective equipment:
- goggles or face shield;
- Noise-canceling headphones or earplugs (earplugs);
- vibration-isolating gloves;
- Respirator, especially when cutting stone, tile, concrete or slate.
Goggles will protect from sparks, small chips, or the blade being sheared. The use of headphones or ear plugs helps to get rid of noise, so you can avoid difficulties with hearing after the work. Gloves to protect against abrasion and vibration. A respirator against the large amount of dust that forms.
Fixing the parts to be machined
All small and medium-sized parts must be firmly clamped in a vice or with clamps. When attaching, provide a safe place for the possible fall of the parts to be cut off.
Sometimes it is necessary to work with an angle grinder on large parts or structures that cannot be clamped in a vise. These can be:
In such cases it is necessary to make sure that the surface to be cut is firmly fixed (stably standing or lying), that it is not unstable after cutting and that the cut part will not fall on the employee or other persons. If in doubt, use supports, jacks, or shoring and securely fasten the slings to the surrounding metal or reinforced concrete structures.
Safety of the working place
Regardless of where the workplace is located. in the garage, in the country house or on a free site, it must be well lit, meet basic safety requirements.
Requirements to the equipment of the workplace:
- Must be installed workbench, table, shelf, cabinet or bedside table for storage, as well as placement of devices, tools for productive safe work.
- All immovable equipment must be securely placed (fastened) on the floor.
- The surfaces of the workbench and shelf should not be smaller than the processed parts and tools used.
- The surface of workbenches shall be made of steel sheet, aluminum, other noncombustible materials.
- Vices must clamp the workpieces securely. Every 2 to 3 mm of the jaw surfaces must have a 0,5. 1 mm deep cross-cut.
- Fix the vise so that the workpieces to be machined are at the level of the worker’s elbow.
- In a closed vice the gap between jaws must not be more than 0,1 mm. Handle and jaws. without potholes and burrs.
- Movable part of the vice must not fall out when fully unscrewed and must move smoothly, without jerks.
- The floor around the workbench as well as the whole place of work must be dry and flat.
- Electrical sockets for power tools must be positioned above the work surface level of the work bench.
When working at height (over 1,5 m) it is necessary to use scaffolding with handrail 1 m high with planking at 150 mm or higher.
Do not use scaffolding supports, barrels, boxes, etc. that happen to be at hand. Do not overload the scaffolding. In any case when working with an angle grinder you must have a firm, even surface under your feet.
Proper starting, stopping and breaks
Before turning the unit on, it is worth carefully inspecting and checking the drive. Nozzles with chips, splits, cracks, or any other damage should be used.
Before powering on the angle grinder to install the cutting (grinding) disc with the drawing upwards, then clamp it with the special nut. The size as well as the permissible RPM are specified in the technical documentation of the tool.
Mismatch of characteristics leads at least to defective operation, premature wear of the disc, and at worst to injury.
When inspecting the tool, you need to check that:
- There is no damage or cracks on the housing;
- serviceability of the cable (cord), protective tubes and plug;
- the handle is well screwed on;
- The circle is fenced and the guard is securely fastened.
As a rule, the volume and complexity of the work to be home master does not require the use of high-performance and expensive equipment production level. When making the frame of the greenhouse, it is quite possible to cut the pipes with an angle grinder or a traditional hand hacksaw.
Every type of cut has its own nuances, and some require special tricks.
At a right angle
The accuracy of the cut is largely determined by the quality of the markings. Experienced craftsmen advise to mark the cutting lines not with a pencil, but with painter’s tape, observing the following sequence of actions:
- Set aside the required size and make a small mark with a marker or pencil.
- Carefully, applying the marker, cover the part with painter’s tape in a circle. The edges of the paper should align without displacement. This is a sign that the paper is glued correctly. If the edges do not come together, the tape should be re-glued.
- Firmly fix the workpiece to prevent its movement and slippage. Use a vise or a clamp to hold it in place.
- The cut (smaller) piece of the workpiece should be left unweighted so it does not clamp the blade or disc.
- Start the cut at the top.
- The disc of the angle grinder (or the blade of a hacksaw) lead exactly along the edge of the painter’s tape, without deviating to the side.
This allows you to evenly cut the necessary length.
If the diameter is large, then mark the same way, but cut in parts, sectors of 30-60 °. After cutting through the next sector, loosen and rotate the tube. Then fix again and continue cutting from where the previous sector ended. To get it straight, you should pay special attention to the beginning of the cut, avoiding steps and dents.
Make a 45° oblique cut
It is possible to cut the end of the pipe exactly at 45° without using complex devices. Enough to use a clever locksmith’s skill. You will need to do the following:
- Cut out a piece of paper in the shape of a square.
- Fold it diagonally. You get a rectangular isosceles triangle.
- Wrap the blank sheet so that the cathetus of the triangle was perpendicular to the axis, and the hypotenuse formed an ascending spiral.
- Secure the sheet with masking tape.
- Clamp the workpiece and cut along the oblique edge of the sheet. It will turn out at a 45° angle.
There is another folk method. The end of the workpiece is immersed in a container of liquid at the desired angle. You cut along the edge of the wet and dry sections.
If you want to cut not perpendicularly, it is better to use an old carpentry tool. the plier.
This is a U-shaped template, in the side walls of which slots have already been made at specified angles. The pipe is placed against the far wall of the jigsaw and pressed there by hand or hand clamp. The hand saw blade is inserted into the appropriate slots and sawed. If you need to cut at a different angle, you can make additional cuts in the walls of the jigsaw.
How to cut a pipe with an angle grinder
For pipe cutting with the angle grinder it is recommended to use cutting-off wheels no thicker than 1 mm, otherwise it will be harder to cut, and there will be too many sparks and flaming particles flying out.
- The pipe is clamped in a vice or otherwise secured. The part to be cut should hang down. It is not permissible to place the workpiece between two supports and make the cut in the middle. к. the cutting blade will jam (due to slack in the pipe).
- Using a strip of paper and painter’s tape the marking is applied. The ends of the tape should come together as precisely as possible. Homemakers recommend lowering the pipe into the liquid at the desired angle, and then mark the line for the trimmer cut on the border of dry and wet.
- The cut should be made from the top of the pipe, gradually lowering the angle grinder below. The cutting blade must run along the very edge of the glued strip.
Large-diameter pipe is cut a little differently, because the working part of the circle does not allow you to do it at once. The wall is cut crosswise, and the pipe is turned the right way round.
In the video, the process of cutting with an angle grinder:
I hope it was helpful to watch. Here I am cutting a large diameter pipe and it only took me three minutes to cut it, of course the time needed to cut a 15 to 25 millimeter pipe will be much less. When working with an angle grinder always wear glasses. it is a must, for the safety of your health.
So, dear friends, feel free to apply it in your work and may success always accompany you.
The article before this line was originally written, and is dedicated to help the santam with experience, as explained in the description to the video. And what I saw after ten months of posting it on YouTube: 33606 views, 66 likes and 95 dislikes. Lots of negative Комментарии и мнения владельцев. Sadly, that’s not what I was going for. One viewer, named Vladimir Temlyak, wrote: “They show all kinds of crap just to make some money”. I wonder what my livelihood is all about? The last commenter, under the nickname Jumatatatu ta, threw in some links to photos of crippled people. And then it came to me that many viewers “praising” my video. are simple people, in addition to frightened by horror stories spread in the Internet. The next line is for them:
Dear “sympathizers”, it may be a secret to you, but every day a million people use the angle grinder (angle grinder), and five hundred thousand of them work without a protective cover installed on it.
That’s for these guys and was filmed video, they I wanted to introduce them to the disk thickness of 1.2 mm.
But I have already been hurt by these dislikes, so I decided to find out what there is on this subject in the network. What was my amazement when I read the sites located in the top search engines: a lot of articles written about the angle grinder by copywriters. Who’s this?? Let me explain, a copywriter is a person who makes a living writing articles, that is, he is given a set of keywords (in our case. angle grinder, cutting disc, an accident), they say that the article should contain at least 2-3 thousand characters (a sign. is a letter, symbol, space, etc.) and it is written by a copywriter.п.) And he slaps on an article. He might as well write about ladybugs tomorrow and spaceships the day after, and about the benefits of Turboslim formula the day after. I’ve made myself clear?
What can a reporter write, for example, in a news article? Of course, some stunning scoop, oh how they love the phrase: “two flights of stairs were filled with blood” and so on. Never, no one in the news will not tell that a Moldovan or an Uzbek or a Russian, put on the angle grinder circles of the wrong diameter A HEAVEN!
No, don’t get the idea, I wouldn’t dream of “begging” the seriousness of working with this tool, but it’s just a tool. a hand-held tool. Let me remind you again: a million people use them every day, and 500,000 of them use them without the hood.
Let’s go over it one more way. They’re supposedly teaching the use of power tools in vocational schools. Remember who studied there, what they taught you? Health and Safety is a dirty word, at sixteen to seventeen their heads are full of other things. And who studied the user manual after buying the tool, so that it would be from cover to cover?? Of course there are such guys, but they are few in number. believe me. I for example got a job at the firm engaged in dismantling old, and subsequent installation of new systems of water supply, heating, sewerage, as you think I who explained the rules of use? That’s right, nobody, they showed me the trigger and showed me how it cuts! Everything’s ! You have no idea how scared I was at first of the angle grinder, and no wonder, you hold it in your hands, and it is so eager to break free. The experienced locksmiths just giggle, and your hands are shaking. How many of them are new to the job??
And how many “d’Artagnans” who are knee-deep in the sea, how many of our brother. go away, I know myself, I can do it myself? Exactly, there are a lot of them, too. So here they are, the protagonists of the reports. horror stories, I have listed them for you.
That’s why I decided to complete the article, but first I studied the reviews and Комментарии и мнения владельцев on specialized forums. Yes, I met guys here who deal directly with this beast on a daily basis, but they also throw references to the same photos of unfortunate people maimed by negligence. Below I present such unpleasant snapshots, I do not want to, but I can not do without it. For all seriousness of those recommendations which I will give further was understood. I am not suggesting to play “tiddlywinks”.
Well, my dear, how do you feel?? I’m also in shock. Believe me, it’s not the worst pictures. I’ll call them picture one and picture two conventionally. I will further explain what caused what happened. So let’s get to the point:
To make an even cut at an angle of 90º is possible only after the marking. Use a piece of paper or masking tape. The latter is preferable, because it is attached directly to the surface and does not shift.
The sequence of steps looks like this:
- measure the required length with a tape measure, mark this place with a dash marker.
- Then a scotch tape is pasted around the circumference of the pipe at the marking obtained. The flatter you stick the tape on, the better. optimally, the wide edges should come together as precisely as possible. This will allow you to make an accurate cut of the pipe along the mark.
- The next step is to clamp the pipe in a vice or hold it against a flat surface, so it does not move during the work, and an even weld is obtained. Note that one end of the pipe must be left in a free position so that the disk is not clamped by the walls while cutting. Start cutting from the top down.
- The last thing to watch out for. How to evenly saw off a pipe with an angle grinder. To do this, you must guide the disk as precisely as possible along the edge of the adhesive tape.
In cases where you are cutting pipe products with large cross-sections, the work should be done in small sectors. This requires the pipe to be constantly rotated around the axis at the completion of the next notch.
When working with cast iron pipes, the scheme of operations will be somewhat different. Firstly, a continuous cut is made along the entire diameter of the product, and then the resulting groove is gradually knocked out with a chisel and hammer. As a result, the pipe should split exactly along the cut line.
Techniques for cutting pipes at an angle with a circular cross section
Round pipes of different diameters are cut at an angle when changing the direction of the pipeline, in this case it should be taken into account that a straight cut at a right angle, unlike a rectangular cross-section, will not lead to a tight connection of the edges. Therefore, special templates are used, in which the marked edge has a curvilinear shape, allowing a high tightness of the connection.
Angle iron Cutting Techniques With Angle Grinder / Round Pipe Cutting Tools / Awesome Tools 2022
Paper template for pipe
One of the common ways to make a template for pipes with a round surface, is the method for which you need a ruled sheet of paper, a ruler and a pencil. The following method is used to obtain a paper template:
- Draw a circle on a piece of paper with the diameter of the pipe to be cut, divide the circle into 16 equal segments, each time dividing the larger segments into two equal segments.
- Measure the length of the circle by multiplying its diameter by the number Pi, which is equal to 3.14.Postpone this size on both sides of the circle axis by equal segments, each of which is divided into 8 equal-sized parts.
- Draw vertical lines up from the line segments and horizontal lines from the points on the circle.
- The places of their intersection are connected by a smooth line and the end result is a paper template, which is cut out and glued to the trimmed surface. For cutting it is better to use an angle grinder with a disc of small diameter. the surface will be curved and using a large disc will increase the error.
Using thermal methods
In addition to mechanical methods, thermal methods of pipe cutting are also widely used. The tool here is a gas torch (propane or acetylene) or an electric arc welder. Even the thickest, large-diameter pipes can be cut with a gas torch. Productivity is also sufficiently high. In addition, only these methods provide exceptional mobility. you can cut the pipe in the trench, the basement. in such places where a high-performance stationary machine simply can’t be dragged or connected.
It should be noted that the thermal methods do not allow high accuracy, and even cut too not always possible. But in many applications, such as efficient repair of heating mains or trunk pipelines, it is not needed. After thermal cutting, the resulting edges have to be further machined with mechanical tools, trim the trimmer line of the cut and bring the bevels to the design values.
The thermal cutting method is also used when working with polymer pipe products. In thermal guillotines, the cut is made by a heated to a high temperature oblique thin cutter sliding in the guides.
The devices can also cut at an angle and very smoothly, but they are suitable for work only with soft materials with a low melting point.
Peculiarities of work with thick metal, copper, cast iron, aluminum
When it is necessary to cut thick metal into separate pieces, it is recommended to additionally perform the following steps:
- make all cuts in a straight line only;
- different curvilinear contours should be cut by separate straight segments of small length, while removing unnecessary parts;
- It is necessary to saw completely the workpiece in several steps, with each subsequent deepening the kerf;
- if angles, I-beams, channels, rails are cut separately.
Cutting cast iron, stainless steel, as well as non-ferrous metals, such as aluminum and copper, is carried out with special circles designed to work with these materials. All the necessary information about the discs is contained in the labeling on the side of these products. Wheels differ in terms of their filler content:
- In some, the additive is a heavy-duty material that is capable of cutting alloy steel;
- Others use soft bonding agents.
Cutting stainless steel with ordinary metal discs is prohibited because they contain substances that lead to accelerated corrosion of the cut location. Aluminum and copper are very ductile base metals. They are sawed with an angle grinder, pouring kerosene on the slot formed by the disc. All discs are marked on the side of the disc, which means that fire precautions must be taken.
In the video, the process of cutting with an angle grinder:
I hope this was helpful. Here I am cutting a pipe of a large diameter, and it took me only three minutes to cut it, of course the time required to cut a pipe with a diameter of 15 to 25 millimeters, will be much less. When working with an angle grinder always wear glasses. it is a prerequisite for the safety of your health. So, dear friends, feel free to apply it in your work and may you always be successful.
The article before this line was originally written, and it is devoted to help the old sants, as explained in the description to the video. And what I saw after ten months of posting it on YouTube:. 66 likes and 95 dislikes. Lots of negative Комментарии и мнения владельцев. It’s sad though, that’s not what I was aiming for. One viewer, named Vladimir Temlyak, wrote: “all kinds of crap is shown just to make money. I wonder what my livelihood is all about? The last commenter, under the nickname Jumatatatu ta, threw in a couple of links to pictures of crippled people. And then I realized that many of the viewers “praising” my video are simple people, moreover they are frightened by the widespread scare stories on the Internet. The next line is for them:
That’s for these guys and was filmed video, I wanted them to get acquainted with the disk thickness of 1.2 mm.
But I was already hurt by these dislikes and therefore decided to study what on this subject is in the network. What was my amazement on reading the sites located in the top search engines: a lot of articles written about the angle grinder by copywriters. Who is it? Let me explain, a copywriter is a person who makes a living writing articles, that is, he is given a set of keywords (in this case. angle grinder, cutting disc, an accident), they say that the article should contain at least 2-3 thousand characters (a sign. a letter, symbol, space, etc, etc) and it should consist of three or more keywords.п.) and he slaps an article. Might as well tomorrow he writes about ladybug, and the day after about spaceships, and the day after about the usefulness of the mix “Turboslim. I explained it clearly?
What can a correspondent write, for example, in a news bulletin? Of course some stunning scoop, oh how they love the phrase: “two flights of stairs in the entryway were filled with blood” and the like. Never, no one in the news will tell that the Moldovan, or there Uzbek, or Russian, put the wrong diameter on the angle grinder A HEAVEN!
No, don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t dream of “begging” the seriousness of working with this tool, but it’s just a tool. a hand tool. Let me remind you once again: a million people use it every day and 500,000 of them use it without the hood.
new trick to cut 90 degree angle round pipe the welder never told before #pipecutting