How To Cut A Wide Ceiling Plinth
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth correctly. Marking on the ceiling to make a corner on the skirting board
- How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth correctly. Marking on the ceiling for making a corner on the skirting board
- How to cut wide skirting boards. How to trim a ceiling plinth?
- How to cut the corner of a baguette correctly. Using a laser level
- Video trimming the ceiling plinth
How to cut wide skirting boards. How to trim a ceiling plinth?
When finishing finishing work in the house, many homeowners are faced with the problem of cutting ceiling plinths, especially their corners. After all, the attractiveness of the interior depends on them. Without these decorative elements, the rooms look unfinished. It is not difficult to guess how to cut the ceiling plinth using a square, a metal ruler or a flat strip, since here you only need to maintain a right angle.
But in finishing work, trimming of the skirting boards is also required at other angles, for example, 40 degrees. Therefore, the installation of these plastic elements is fraught with certain difficulties. To get an appropriate angle, you need to be extremely careful. One of the problems is cutting the ceiling plinth in the corners with further joining.
The following materials are used in the production of skirting boards:
- Wood. Wood is considered the most labor-intensive material to process. Wooden skirting boards are sawn with a joiner’s hacksaw.
- Extruded polystyrene foam. High density finishing material. Does not absorb moisture. When burning, it does not emit toxic substances. It is quite difficult to handle, but easy to cut. All you need is a carpenter’s knife.
- Styrofoam. It is fragile, the cheapest and most easily processed material. Its fragility is not a drawback, since the skirting boards are located under the very ceiling and they are not afraid of mechanical influences. You can cut the ceiling plinth from the foam without any effort.
- Polyurethane. Differs in plasticity and flexibility. Due to these qualities, it is used on uneven surfaces. It is water-repellent and resistant to temperature changes.
- Polyvinyl chloride. Material difficult to fit due to increased rigidity. Manufacturers offer different types of finishes from it: imitation of stone, metal, wood and uniform color. It gets brittle in the cold.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth correctly. Marking on the ceiling for making a corner on the skirting board
There are different ways of how to correctly make a corner on a skirting board. Some are easier to do, others are more difficult. One of these methods is to mark the plinth on the ceiling. True, it is not very convenient to cut the plinth by weight, but this method is not inferior to all others in accuracy. Before cutting the plinth to the ceiling, it is applied to the surface, while all the imperfections and irregularities of the walls, as well as the size of the corners, are immediately taken into account.
Let’s consider in detail how to correctly make the corners on the ceiling plinths using this technique:
- First, two mating plinths must be cut at an angle of 90º;
- One of the blanks is pressed against the wall, and its end is abutted against the opposite wall. Then the outline of the workpiece is drawn on the ceiling.
- At the next stage, they take the second plank and in the same way press it with its butt to the wall. Outline the line.
- At the intersection of the lines obtained, a point is set, along which further trimming of the baseboards will be carried out.
- Then each of the strips is alternately applied to the ceiling and the cutting point is transferred to the blanks.
- From this point to the corner of the plinth, a diagonal cutting line is drawn.
Using the obtained fishing lines, cut off unnecessary sections of the baseboards, then join the mating segments, checking the correctness and completeness of the fit. “How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth. simple and correct ways”.
It should be noted that this method is more often used for internal corners.
How to cut the corner of a baguette correctly. Using a laser level
In modern conditions, many home craftsmen already have in their instrumental “arsenal”, which are excellent for checking the straightness of the angle, and for marking the baguette when forming both internal and external corners.
How this is done is described step by step in the following instruction table.
Cutting and joining techniques for baguettes
In the picture above, you can see the process of cutting the cornice along the cut of the miter box, but how to cut the ceiling plinth without the miter box? We offer you several options with descriptions, as well as making a template for the simplest miter box on your own. Let’s consider all the methods in order:
How to cut a skirting board without a miter box:
- Try on the cornice to the ceiling surface, run a marker line along the ceiling surface;
- To the right of the selected corner, press the product against the ceiling, draw another straight line;
- At the intersection of straight lines, mark the plinth itself with a dot, then draw the line from the markings on the baguette to its lower corner. Along it you will cut off the required corner on the fillet;
- The left corner is marked in the same way;
- After cutting both skirting boards, press them into a corner and check for precision. If there are gaps, trim the corners again. Remember. so that the bar does not become shorter than the required length, do not shorten the unmarked part of it until you achieve an exact connection;
- After fitting, the fillet is glued or screwed on. The ceiling plinth for stretch ceilings cannot be attached to the surface of the ceiling material. it is glued only to the plane of the wall.
Attention: Do not press with great force on the foam or expanded polystyrene cornice when cutting it. it may lose its shape, and after gluing dents and other irregularities will be visible.
The method is as follows: how to cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box along the outer corner of the ceiling:
- Press the plinth to the right of the corner and draw a line with a length of 200-300 mm along the ceiling with a pencil or marker;
- Press the cornice to the left corner, mark up to the first mowing line so that the markers intersect;
- On the plank, mark the points at the crossroads of the markers and in the corner of the room;
- Connect the marked points on the cornice, cut the plinth along the markings with an angle of inclination towards the inside of the plank;
- Check the accuracy of the joint in place, cut again if necessary.
Classic baguettes are made of wood, but it is difficult to fit them exactly without the use of a factory miter box and appropriate cutting tools. Wooden baguettes are formed with a cross-cut saw, and in its absence. with a carpenter’s hacksaw with a fine tooth, an electric jigsaw or a hacksaw for cutting metal.
Important: A cornice made of polyurethane or aluminum is considered reliable in terms of moisture resistance. But the polyurethane cornice should not be exposed to temperature changes, so it is not recommended to mount them in the kitchen or bathroom.
Whatever the plinth, if the angle in the room is not 90 0, then it will be difficult to make an exact cut for joining the planks. In old buildings (stalinka, Khrushchev, and even brezhnevka), the angle in the room can be formed as 88 0 or 93 0 (for a piermer), and it is problematic to cut off such an end according to a template. Then how to properly cut the corner of the skirting board without a miter box, avoiding large discrepancies and without using a complex and expensive tool? Use the presented method.
The figure shows cornices made of materials such as:
- Polyurethane (PPU);
- Polyfoam (PP);
- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC);
To form an exact inner corner from the planks, follow these steps in sequence:
- Try on a baguette to the corner of the room, for example, on the right;
- Draw a fishing line with a pencil along the plinth;
- On the left side, do the same operations with the cornice;
- The point of intersection of the marker lines will be the upper mark, from which it is necessary to cut;
- Place the curtain rod in the corner and transfer the crossing point to the plank;
- Connect the upper and lower marks on the cornice with a pencil;
- Cut the ends along the markings;
- For the second plank, the points are repeated in the same sequence.
Cutting Sand and Cement Render Plinth base rendering detail
Important: Before gluing the strips, check the accuracy of the cut: attach the cornices to the corner, and if there are no gaps between the fillets, attach them. If there are irregularities at the ends of the joining surfaces. trim the skirting boards more precisely.
The following solution is how to cut accurately and how to glue the skirting board without a miter box to the inner corner of the ceiling:
- Find out the fillet width;
- On the bottom, mark a point at the distance of the width of the plank;
- Connect with a diagonal line the point of the upper corner with the point of the lower mowing line, cut the product along this mowing line;
- For the second cornice, all points are repeated in the same sequence.
Recommendations for the home master
- Experienced builders recommend cutting the planks from the side and trying them on immediately on the ceiling. If irregularities are found, you can cut the baguette in the direction of the product adjoining the ceiling;
- After preliminary fitting, the finished cornices are attached to the wall and to the ceiling. Seams and corner joints are sealed with silicone sealant;
- Before cutting wide skirting boards, make a few test cuts on short skirting boards to help you avoid making mistakes when finishing cutting;
- At home, a table pushed against the wall can serve as an accurate miter box:
- To mark the inner corner, the length of the bar is counted from the corner;
- To mark the outer corner, the baguette should protrude beyond the corner of the room by its own width;
- The skirting board should be cut on a flat, hard surface, unmarked surface downwards;
- Ceiling products are glued or screwed after cutting both strips;
- Small errors when joining wooden, aluminum or PVC baguettes are removed with a file. The curvature of the foam fillets is leveled with a sharp knife or cutter;
- If a small gap still remains, it is masked with Knauf, ABC finishing putty, or white silicone sealant.
How to cut a skirting board without a miter box
Docking of ceiling fillets without industrial miter box
Factory miter box. This is an aluminum, plastic or wooden tray with depressions 45 0 or 90 0. Such a device is rarely used at home, so it is not found in everyone. But few also know how to cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box, so we will consider a few simple solutions that will allow you to dock the ceiling plinths in the corners of the room with great accuracy.
When renovating an apartment, the installation of a new ceiling is often necessary to create a complete design idea. The completed ceiling is decorated with beautiful fillet skirting boards. The baguettes are glued, nailed or screwed along the perimeter of the room, their position is previously marked in the corners at the joints of the walls and ceiling. Ceiling cornices are often rigid and solid strips (although there are elastic silicone ones), so they need to be beautifully docked in the corners of the room with each other, and without a miter box it is difficult to do this, but it is possible.
Fillets for framing the corners of the ceiling are made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (PPU), polyurethane (PU), polystyrene (PS), polystyrene (PP), wood or metal:
- Foam decorative cornice is fragile, but this does not matter for unloaded ceiling structures. PP skirting boards can have different widths, the standard length is 1 meter, the surface is bas-relief with various patterns;
- Expanded polystyrene. the material is dense, easy to install, the edges of the cornice do not crumble during cutting;
- Aluminum or wood is the most difficult to dock. you need great accuracy, which is difficult to achieve without the use of a miter box. It is recommended to cut the corners of such curtain rods with a sheet for metal, to calculate the correct cutting angle, use the methods below.
Products and the nuances of their application:
Parameters and requirements
Polyvinyl chloride is easily crushed, after which it is not restored. When machining requires care and minimal pressure
Cut with a carpenter’s cutter or a hacksaw for metal
The foam plank is fragile and crumbles easily. It is recommended to cut the PP skirting board with a very sharp cutter or a special tool. an electric nichrome cutter
Cut with a carpenter’s cutter or a hacksaw for metal, hot wire clamped in clamps
Durable and aesthetic material.
It is cut with an ordinary hand or special tool (an end saw, a saw for wood with fine teeth, a blade for metal), the cost of the products is higher than the curtain rods of PPU, PP OR PVC
Working solutions for baguette preparation without miter box
Another option for trimming the plank is to create a kind of structure from thick cardboard and a wooden block. The first step is to bend the cardboard at the angle that you measured in the corner of the room. Then, to the wooden block intended for cutting the corner, press the cardboard and draw the line along which you want to cut the block. this will be your template. To cut the fillet, place the wooden template on top of the plank, and cut the required angle along the block.
Actual offer in the construction market. Kindecor skirting board made of expanded polystyrene, made by extrusion technology. Therefore, the ceiling slats of the Russian company “Kindecor” do not have the disadvantages of PPU cornices. The cost of cornices is much lower than foam or other analogs.
But in old houses with “floating” corners, such sets are unlikely to come in handy. in the kit you will find only angles at 45 0. 60 0 and 90 0. How to fix the situation? You need to roughly cut the end of the baguette. an angle of about 45 0. and then, during several fittings, cut the angle in place to the required value.
When cutting the baguette and shaping the outer corner, use this method:
- Press the plinth to the right side of the corner so that the plank protrudes beyond the corner by at least its own width;
- Use a pencil to mark the line on the ceiling;
- Press the plinth to the left side of the corner so that the plank protrudes beyond the corner by at least its own width;
- With a pencil, mark the line on the ceiling, mark the intersection of these two lines;
- Copy the markings to the plank, connect the dots with a line, cut the baguette along this mowing line;
- Check the evenness of the cuts by applying the prepared baguettes to the outer corner;
- Before gluing the ceiling plinth without a miter box, remove any errors (irregularities, chips, gaps, inconsistencies) on the fillet surfaces.
How Pros Cut Molding Inside Corners
How to make a miter box template yourself
In the absence of a miter box or unwillingness to buy it, it is not necessary to purchase a special tool in order to use it once or twice in the entire history of repairs. You can make a homemade template with the same capabilities. it doesn’t take much time. As a blank for an impromptu miter box, take a board, thick paper or cardboard, and mark the required cuts on them.
Then draw two parallel mowing lines on the template, locate the center on the drawing, and use a school protractor to set any corners. This simple technology gives very accurate results, while you can draw and cut any angle greater or less than 90 0.
The technology for working with a homemade miter box is no different from operations with an industrial product. The baguette should be attached to one of the lines, put the hacksaw at the selected angle, and cut off the workpiece. If you do not plan to spend money on miter box pr
Bonding the ceiling plinth
Completeness of any interior is achieved after a high-quality and neat sticker of the ceiling molding.
It can be glued in two ways:
- using putty (this method is used before pasting wallpaper);
- on glue (the method is applied after wallpapering).
Each method has its own advantages.
For example, with curved walls between the plinth and the wall, gaps will necessarily form.
In this case, it is better to stick the molding on the putty in order to immediately fill up the cracks with the same putty.
It is necessary to start installation from the corners.
Glue is applied in a thin strip on two opposite sides of the baguette.
One side will be against the ceiling, the other against the wall.
The fillet with the applied glue must be kept for some time, and then pressed tightly to the gluing site.
High-quality glue sets very quickly.
In this way, you need to stick this decorative element around the perimeter of the entire room.
Video on how to cut a ceiling plinth:
The joints are sealed with putty and leveled.
How to cut a ceiling plinth
- Selection of tools
- Cutting technology
- In the miter box
- By pattern
- By markup
- Without miter box
One of the most difficult steps in installing skirting boards is cutting them correctly. Only by correctly joining the individual elements at the outer and inner corners will you get the desired result. Fillets will look aesthetically pleasing and neat if you cut them off at the right angle and seal the cracks. A special tool (miter box) is used to accomplish this task. And if it is not there, then other devices will help.
Methods for joining the ceiling plinth
There are several reliable and proven ways to cut corners:
- using a miter box;
- using markup;
- with a stencil.
Tools required for quality cutting:
- miter box;
- clerical knife or hacksaw for metal;
The miter box is designed to make a neat joining seam between two baguettes using the method of evenly and precisely adjusted cut.
This accessory tool is a tray with saw grooves on the edges.
A hacksaw for metal cuts the molding neatly and evenly.
Stationery knife cuts foam well.
If the room has an ideal shape with strictly straight foreshortenings, then the issue of trimming the corners of the ceiling plinth is easily solved.
In rooms of non-standard shapes, it will be more difficult to cope with corners.
Method for cutting a ceiling plinth without a miter box
To neatly dock fillets in the inner corners, you can do without a miter box.
We carry out the work in the following order:
- We apply the end part of the baguette to the sheet of paper and outline the contour of the convex side. It is more convenient to use a small piece of plinth (if any).
Cut out the resulting template.
We transfer the contour to the surface of the baguette with a simple pencil.
Cut along the drawn curve.
For fitting, we apply one plinth tightly with the end part to the wall, and then the second.
Advice for decorating the corners of the skirting board
For the very lazy, manufacturers have come up with such a method as decorating corner joints with overhead corners. At the same time, it is not at all necessary to measure the edges of the skirting boards for jewelry fit. it is enough to glue the strips, and close the uneven joints with decorative corners of the same color as the fillets themselves.
It will not be so cheap, but it will save a lot of time. especially if the apartment has uneven walls.
In the next article we will tell you how to make a rack ceiling on your own in an apartment or on a balcony.
How to properly cut a wide ceiling plinth
Unfortunately, many rooms do not have corner points strictly equal to 90 degrees.
In such cases, you have to cut free-form strips.
There are two ways to cut.
First: using a homemade stencil.
A perfect corner joint can be obtained using a cardboard template.
The halves of the stencil are connected at the required angle.
The plinth is placed on the stencil, the angle of the plinth must converge with the angle of the template.
The fillet is cut neatly, the landmark is held on the stencil.
Since it is impossible to cut a baguette in an upright position, for a high-quality cut, you can build a corner resembling a miter box.
In the second method, the ceiling plinth is cut using markings.
First, the two moldings that will join are sawn at a 90 degree angle.
Then one workpiece is applied to the corner, a line is drawn with a pencil for the fillet to adjoin the ceiling.
about the dimensions of the foam ceiling plinth.
Read about the installation of decorative beams on the ceiling at the link. What role do they play in the interior, what are they made of and how are they fixed?
Read about the illumination of the stretch ceiling with LED strip here. Technical characteristics of LED strips and how to mount them for backlighting.
The same must be done with the second workpiece.
The point of intersection of the two lines obtained on the ceiling is transferred with particular accuracy to both planks.
From the marks obtained on the blanks, the mowing line is drawn to the opposite corners of both baguettes.
This will be the cutting line.
The marking method must be carried out with maximum accuracy.
The quality of the resulting joint will depend on this.
How to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth using the above two methods more accurately?
The main rule when performing these works is the sequence: first, the line for joining two blanks is adjusted, then the required length of the plinth is determined.
This sequence guarantees the possibility of several attempts to design a high-quality joining of two fillets.
Visualization of premises
Ceiling plinth for stretch ceilings can affect the visual perception of the room. The variety of forms, tactile design allows you to use it in any design solutions for room decoration:
- When creating an interior in a living room, hall, bedroom or other living room, you can combine how much, different in width and appearance, moldings. This approach will give the room some soft severity, will help to place visual accents.
- The lighting elements placed in the molding will divide the room into functional sectors, without the construction of additional structures. This approach is most relevant in the bathroom, in the corridor in the kitchen.
- Experimenting with fillet widths will make the room feel more comfortable. It should be remembered that massive wide elements visually represent the ceiling slightly lower.
- The walls of the room can be divided into two types of finishes. For example, in the toilet, up to a certain height, the finishing was carried out with tiles, and the upper part with wallpaper.
Styrofoam skirting board under a stretch ceiling
Photos of options for using a baguette in the construction of different interiors can be found in abundance on the websites of the companies that manufacture the skirting boards.
Tools and accessories
For installation work, you will need the following tools and accessories:
- stepladder or small scaffolding;
- miter box;
- a hacksaw with fine teeth, preferably for metal or a construction knife with a set of spare blades;
- spatulas. rubber and metal;
- soft brushes;
- fine-grained abrasive paper;
- building level, corner, ruler, tape measure;
- rags or household scouring pads.
Skirting board trimming tool
In addition to the above, you will need a container for preparing the adhesive, if it is represented by a powdery mixture. It is advisable to have inventory for putting things in order on the floor. it is possible that excess glue may get on its surface.
The final procedure for installing the ceiling plinth is painting: it gives the ceiling a finished beautiful look. Most often, water-based, acrylic or latex paints are used for this. Wooden products are decorated with nitro paint, having previously greased them with a primer. Before painting the friezes, they need to be allowed to dry: usually a day is enough for this. The greatest practicality is demonstrated by acrylic or water-based compositions. For application, a soft brush of the appropriate width is usually used. It is most convenient to paint baguettes together with the ceiling, using an identical material for this. Sticking wallpaper or other types of wall decoration is allowed to be carried out after the paint has dried.
The ceiling plinth can be installed after wallpapering or during the ceiling screed process (before the last putty).
The second option, how to properly glue ceiling skirting boards, has a number of advantages:
- When gluing wallpaper, you will not need to rip off the baguettes. In this case, the stripes will adjoin the friezes, and not go under them.
- Gluing skirting boards to uneven ceilings is usually much more difficult. If the walls are uneven, gluing the baguettes after the wallpaper will certainly lead to the appearance of gaps between the planks and the plane of the walls. In the second case, all the cracks noticed are carefully sealed with an assembly mixture, without the threat of staining the wallpaper.
It is recommended to start work from the corner near the window: it is more convenient to immediately glue the frieze on both walls in order to achieve the formation of a beautiful corner joint. The smoother the corner of the room is plastered, the easier it will be to decorate it with a ceiling plinth. The resulting construction of two moldings will set the benchmark for further work. You can choose any wall and start building up the baguettes towards the next corner.
How to glue a Styrofoam ceiling plinth: what glue to choose, how to make a corner
There are two main ways to install skirting boards:
- after gluing wallpaper and finishing the ceiling;
- after wall treatment.
The first method is the simplest and fastest. It consists in gluing the skirting board with glue over the wallpaper and ceiling trim. To do this, use the so-called “liquid nails” (for example, “Moment-montage”). They are applied along the edges of the skirting board, the finish is applied to the wall at an angle of 45 degrees and kept for 1. 2 minutes. The advantage of this method is that the decor covers the defects of the ceiling finish and wallpaper at the junction of the wall and ceiling. True, if the walls are not even enough, problems may arise. gaps will appear.
The second method involves placing decorative elements before gluing the wallpaper. They are fixed with a polymer putty. This method is ideal if there are irregularities. After all, the putty is able to hide them and fill in the gaps that may form between the finish and the wall. True, the technique also has a drawback. it requires very careful gluing of wallpaper. After all, then hiding the flaws with a plinth will no longer work.
What to glue first: wallpaper or ceiling plinth
This question is serious and worries many. And in that, and in the other version, you need to perform the same preparatory work:
- remove all unnecessary from the room;
- dismantle unnecessary coatings;
- if necessary, change the wiring;
- make slopes;
- align the walls.
For the rest, you need to weigh the pros and cons.
If you glue the skirting boards on the finished wallpaper, you will not be able to hide the cracks under the gypsum putty or sealant.
In addition, when decorating the molding, it is easy to stain the walls pasted with wallpaper.
But if you are not a master of accurate wallpaper trimming, it makes sense to just hide them under the skirting board, gluing it over.