How to Cut Aluminum with a Thickness of 2 mm
Many who decide to engage in construction on their own are wondering how to cut metal tiles. The sheets of such tiles are profiled, and therefore not every standard cutting tool is able to cope with them.
No unnecessary casualties
A modern man has a lot of hand and power tools in his arsenal, which, at first glance, can do just fine with anything sharp. But in working with metal it is better to avoid unnecessary experiments. Let us consider in more detail some of the possible options.
And what if you try to cut metal using these tools:
- Jigsaw? This tool is good for a lot, but not for metal. A jigsaw will tear it, moreover, it can break its file;
- Manual scissors for metal? Perhaps you’ll get to grips immediately, but after a while you will look for other options to cut the metal. In fact, using a hand tool is very difficult;
- Angle Grinder? Here it is, the most logical option that comes to mind. She cuts sheets with ease, however, there is also the reverse side of the coin, which must be described separately.
Why not an angle grinder?
If you carefully read the instructions for the metal tile and its installation, then, of course, you found the item where it is indicated that cutting angle grinder prohibited. The product warranty in this case is simply void. Why is that?
The metal roof is protected by a special polymer, which does not tolerate high temperatures. And when using an angle grinder, the metal will heat up just to those critical temperatures, so that in certain places both the zinc coating and the polymer layer melt. The result is deformation of the protective layers, such a tile will be damaged by rust and may even leak.
In addition, sparks from the contact of the abrasive disk and tiles will scatter in different directions, forming damage. These points will become small, and subsequently more dangerous islands of corrosion.
Tip: if you decide to cut the angle grinder, try to cover the tiles from sparks. And place the cut with paint for facades. This is not the best, but tolerant option.
Drill head for metal cutting. Nibblers
A drill is in the kit for any man who likes to do everything with his own hands. It is this simple device that can cope with the cutting of metal, if you purchase an accessory to it: a nozzle on a drill for cutting metal.
How to Cut Aluminum with a Thickness of 2 mm
At its core is it a spline or punch, which, thanks to the matrix, pierces the metal with many repeated movements. Through this, a strip of the shape you need is formed in the metal being processed. The impact on the metal is point-like, maximally preserving the integrity of the protective layers of the metal tile. The slot width is 3.1 mm.
Such a nozzle is also called punching or nibbling scissors for metal. Of course, it does not work like scissors, unlike electric scissors with two blades, but it works according to the punching principle.
Drill scissors represented on the market by several models from different manufacturers:
- “Cricket” from Encore for thickness up to 1.6
- Sparky NP 1.8l;
- Edma NIBBLEX;
- Asko YT-160A.
With the nozzle you can process metals with the following parameters:
- Stainless steel up to 0.8 mm thick;
- Zinc, galvanized steel, brass, copper, sheet metal up to 1.5 mm thick;
- Aluminum up to 2 mm thick.
That is, the softer the base, the thicker it can be so that it can be cut with a drill with such a nozzle. In principle, all models of this nozzle work by approximately the same parameters regarding the thickness of the metal, possibly with some exceptions. The edge that the nozzle forms is not crumpled, but accurate and sharp. It is only necessary to choose the correct speed on the drive of the drill itself.
Very convenient to cut round and any curly cuts, using such a mechanism, thanks to the punch punch. Using the same method, you will also cut ventilation components for the roof.
To work with a nozzle on a drill for cutting metal, you need a little dexterity, but you will quickly master it. The nozzle is attached to the drill chuck, which puts it into operation. The cutting electromechanical scissors work in the same way.
What else can you cut metal tiles?
I must say that there are several special tools for work with a metal tile. They are much more expensive than the described nozzles, but their power allows you to cut metal in large volumes. Some of them:
- Electric shears. They work on the principle of scissors, having one movable blade and the other stationary. Between the blades is the metal to be cut. Minus in work: figured cutting with sharp turns is excluded, they can be entered only from the free side of the edge;
- Cutting scissors. They work on the same principle as the cutting nozzle for the drill described above;
- Slotted scissors. The tool easily copes with any metal, both ferrous and non-ferrous, as well as galvanized and metals with other coatings. It works with an open head, so it cuts very accurately. It is also suitable for figured cutting. Roofers use such a tool for installing roofs with metal tiles. Among others, this is the best tool.
In the end
And yet, if you are not a professional roofer, then a better option than drill head, can not found. It can be a great help on the roof, and in everyday life. If you need it without screeching and fire spray, like from an angle grinder, cut metal. You are welcome. In addition to convenience in work, the fact that you do not need to buy an expensive device is captivating. The nozzles themselves are not so expensive and fit on any drill. For professional work with metal, such nozzles are rather weak, but for home use. The best option.
Whatever you cut, cut edges are best treated with paint, such as a facade.