How to Cut an Apron From Plastic
An apron for the kitchen is the part of the wall located between the work table and the hanging cabinets. It is imperative to ensure that this part of the interior fits into the design of the entire kitchen. You will learn how to fix an apron for a kitchen from MDF by doing this as competently as possible from this article.
What should be the apron?
In addition to decorative functions, the apron should have the following qualities:
- Resistance to external irritants.
- Resistance to aggressive chemical compounds.
- Long service life.
All these factors must be observed, since this element of the interior is located in the working area of the room. Next to it there is a sink, stove, and countertop, where the main work on cooking takes place. It follows that the main task of a kitchen apron is to protect the wall from particles of products, which, in turn, are very difficult to wash.
To date, the domestic market offers many panels that perfectly fit all of the above qualities. Among these panels there is an apron from MDF.
Advantages and disadvantages of an MDF apron
Such an apron installation in the kitchen became popular because of many positive qualities:
- The low cost of MDF, when compared with other coatings.
- Even a novice master can handle the installation.
- Such a coating can be installed on any surface of the wall, regardless of its past finish.
- Such material has an optimal weight.
- You don’t need to purchase special tools. The usual set, which every beginner or experienced master should have, is useful.
- Such a coating can be additionally decorated with all kinds of ornaments and images, using photo printing.
- Dismantling is just as easy, which means that the apron can be easily replaced with another.
- On the wall, you can lay a ventilation duct and electrical wires. Everything will be under the apron.
Before you fix the apron from MDF in the kitchen, you must familiarize yourself with its shortcomings:
- The appearance of MDF is directly dependent on exposure to chemicals.
- After some time of operation, the coating may bend or move away from the wall.
- Such material does not repel fire, which means it is combustible.
Install the apron yourself
How to fix the apron and what tools should be in order to install with your own hands? As mentioned, it is quite simple to mount such material, however, it is worth considering a certain number of nuances that determine the quality of the final result.
How to Cut an Apron From Plastic
Basically, such nuances relate to MFD sheets that need to be trimmed beforehand:
- First of all, you need to calculate the distance from the floor to the panel. For this height, you can take the height of the countertop. As a rule, its size is 80 cm with an error of 10 cm.
- An apron height calculation is also required. It is equal to the distance from the countertop to the hanging cabinets. Usually it is about 50-60 cm.
- Observe the dimensions of the hood. The standard distance between it and the hood is 75 cm.
- It should be taken into account that about 4 sockets should be located above the countertop, which means that holes must be left in the sheet.
- The length of the installation is calculated from the length of the working area in the kitchen.
Before installing the kitchen apron, preparatory work should be carried out so that the wall is ready for the next procedure:
- During these works, all old finishing materials are removed as much as possible.
- It is also worth removing all the sticking screws and nails.
- Get rid of all visible cracks.
- The wall needs to be puttied to level the surface.
- When the surface dries, it must be coated with an antiseptic.
Important! Under the future apron, it is imperative to install the mounting bracket. Its role can be played by an ordinary wooden lath or a metal profile under drywall. It is attached to the wall with screws under the edge of the apron, which is located below. The profile should be horizontal.
Such material can be fixed in several ways, using various means of fastening. Consider each of the available options.
The use of “liquid nails”
Installation of an apron in the kitchen from MDF usually proceeds step-by-step using “liquid nails”, since this option is the most convenient:
- There is no need to perfectly align the wall, because this type of fastener hides most of the minor defects.
- “Liquid nails” are very easy to use.
- Installation in this way is very simple and convenient, and the result is highly reliable.
In this case, a very important factor will be how you apply the adhesive:
- It must be applied around the entire perimeter of the structure.
- It is possible to process the inner panel in layers vertically and horizontally.
- The distance between the strips is 30 cm.
Fastening with screws
Installation of the apron can occur without the use of “liquid nails”. To do this, you need to perform only two steps:
- Attach the unit to the wall using self-tapping screws.
- Install decorative caps on the caps from the self-tapping screws.
The most common type of standard fasteners are hanging loops that snap into place on the inside of the apron. You need to mark each hole and hang the installation on the hinges.
Important! Do not worry, these hinges will not be visible, because they will be covered with hanging cabinets.
In order for the apron to be like new for a long time, you need to follow simple rules:
- Every day, wipe it with a slightly dampened cloth or damp cloth.
- Do not overheat the stove.
- It is necessary to exclude all unpleasant external influences associated with chemistry.
An apron is not only an excellent protection of the wall from unpleasant external influences, but also a beautiful decorative element that decorates your kitchen. From this article, you learned how to fix wall panels in the kitchen, and made sure that such work is quite possible.