How to cut ceiling corners at an angle
Advice! We cut the workpiece, do not make strong pressure on the tool
We proceed to cutting the second part of the corner, insert the second piece of the plinth into the miter box to the far wall. Cut off a mirror-like corner along the miter box with a knife or hacksaw.
4. Fix the corner of the plinth to the wall. In fact, cutting the plinth at 45 degree angles using a miter box is easy. In the role of a miter box, you can use improvised means, and which ones are already a matter of your imagination. With the help of a miter box, it is easy to make both the inner corner of the ceiling plinth and the outer.
Ceiling decorative elements are made of various materials:
- Polyvinyl chloride.
You should buy the types of baguettes that suit you best. It all depends on what kind of loads the decorative element will have to endure during installation and operation. temperatures, chemical exposure, humidity, shocks. Many people pay attention to the price, but this should not be done, saving money will certainly save your budget, but will not help create an attractive appearance.
The most budgetary is a foam plinth, but the quality of this material leaves much to be desired. It is capable of crumbling when trying to bend and even while slicing. Polyfoam easily burns and breaks down due to exposure to solvents found in some types of building adhesives. For that, its installation is simple and in itself it is easy. Polystyrene is also a durable material. It has a matte finish and a crisp texture when compared to Styrofoam. It is difficult to deform with a careless movement, and it practically does not burn. A skirting board made of polystyrene is cut simply with a clerical knife. But it is also capable of breaking if bent too much. Polyurethane baguettes have the greatest strength. Due to the fact that it contains rubber, this material has high plasticity rates and with its help it is easy to create curving decoration details. It does not absorb water like polystyrene and is recommended for use in kitchens, bathrooms and even car washes. PVC baguettes are also popular, and all due to the low price and wide range of colors. The gluing of a PVC baguette is simple, it is lightweight and quite durable.
Ceiling plastic skirting boards are easy to cut, so the corners are even and easier to align with each other on the walls near the ceiling, but wood is considered the strongest and most durable material for skirting boards. Although the tree does not bend as easily as the previous types of baguettes. Installation of wooden moldings is difficult, as it requires jewelry calculations. Wood also requires a certain treatment with antiseptics and paint. Wood cannot be glued like plastic; you need dowels and self-tapping screws to install it. The outer corner of the ceiling plinth will be difficult to cut from wood trim.
Cutting corners on the ceiling plinth
Let’s figure out how to properly cut the ceiling plinth using a miter box:
We attach the baguette to the ceiling to measure the required length, make marks before cutting off the corner of the baseboard. 2. Insert the baguette inside the miter box, in a position that coincides with the position on the ceiling. The baguette should be pressed against the far wall of the miter box, in relation to you, for easy cutting and accurate measurements. We choose a position on the miter box at 45 degrees, insert a hacksaw or a knife, depending on the tool used.
Special corner pieces
Often times, corner skirting boards are larger in size and volume than the skirting boards that you will be installing, so they will stand out noticeably against the background of the overall decoration of the gap between the ceiling and the wall. If the design of the room allows you to use such elements for corners, then feel free to purchase them. installation will become many times more convenient and simpler.
Corner cut on the ceiling plinth with and without a miter box
During the renovation at home, we try to improve the premises and make it as attractive as possible. When installing the plinth on the gap between the ceiling and the wall, the question arises of how to cut a corner on the ceiling plinth so that it acquires an attractive appearance. sharp changes in space do not look very pleasant to the eye. Let’s look at this issue in detail. Before making the outer corner of the ceiling plinth, you need to decide on the type of molding you have chosen. They differ in the materials from which they are made.
Let’s figure out how to properly cut the ceiling plinth. In any case, for more convenience in cutting all types of baguettes, a miter box is required. It allows you to make precise cuts and cut corners correctly.
The miter box is a special joinery tool. which allows you to cut skirting boards and other elements at an angle of 45 and 90 degrees. The miter box can be aluminum, plastic or wood. In advanced models of the miter box, there is the possibility of cutting at an angle of 60 degrees, or the possibility of an adjustable swivel mechanism. This is useful if you need to cut the skirting board to bypass an unusual angle.
You can cut the plinth for the ceiling without a miter box, if the accuracy of the eye allows. But once it comes to corners, it becomes a big challenge. At first, it seems like you can cut a 45-degree angle yourself, but after a couple of tries you will find it difficult. Before cutting the ceiling plinth in the corners of the room, you need to make accurate measurements and markings.
Note! If you do not know how to properly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth and are afraid for the result of the work, you should contact a specialist for help.
Installation and painting
- Before starting the installation, you should take all the necessary measurements and apply the markings in accordance with the planned work plan. Marking should be done with a pencil on the walls and plinth, take measurements using a tape measure and a square.
- After the markings on the skirting boards are made, start cutting. It is best to cut the baguettes with a miter box, hacksaw or knife. The knife is suitable for both a shoe and a stationery. Cut carefully, do not press hard on the cutting tool, so as not to damage the baguette. Before making a corner on the skirting board, it is necessary to cut the main structural elements. When all the elements are cut and ready, assemble the structure on the floor to check the presence and accuracy of all parts of the decoration.
- After all the skirting boards and elements are ready for installation, you can proceed with the installation. You can use any adhesives, but we recommend liquid nails, they not only fit all types of skirting boards, but also adhere perfectly and hold for as long as possible. After that, you should process the skirting boards and paint them, if it was planned.
Advice! You need to glue the baguettes to the wall, if you do not want to damage the ceiling and its design does not provide for such installation work. When the whole process is over, all the shortcomings can be easily eliminated with a putty.
In addition to skirting boards, you can glue a fillet made of wood. Different adhesives are used for different types of baguettes.
On instructions for making glue for ceiling plinth with your own hands.
Consider the most popular types of adhesives for gluing baguettes to the wall:
- Water-soluble glue is a product based on aqueous polymers and dispersions. These types of adhesives include “PVA” and “Bustilat”. Perfect for styrofoam and plastic baguettes.
- Thermoplastic adhesive is a solvent based product. These types of adhesives include “Nitroklei” and others. Please note that the solvent destroys the structure of the foam and cannot be used with this type of skirting board.
- Liquid polymer hardeners. convenient glue for all types of skirting boards.
The most popular and high quality adhesives are liquid nails. They allow you to glue polyurethane, foam, polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride moldings and light wood fillets.
How to cut and glue corners to door and window slopes
How to cut correctly
Before discussing how to attach the corners to the slopes, you should learn how to cut them correctly. After all, this stage of everything is the most time consuming and, perhaps, even the most important, since it depends on how much their edges will join, and this directly affects the aesthetic appearance of the entire room. The best way to do this is with a fine-toothed hacksaw. First, you need to measure the length of the opening, then we put marks on the corner itself so that the segment corresponds to this parameter. Then we cut off the part that will adjoin directly to the slope strictly according to the marks, and the part that will be against the wall at an angle of 45 °.
Use a fine-toothed hacksaw to trim the corner.
Installation of corners on the slopes of a window or door
Having figured out what such products are made of, what are their features and having decided on the choice, you should study how to install the corners on the slopes. Detailed instructions are given below.
Required tools and materials
When the doors and windows are installed, it is necessary to deal with the finishing of the slopes, as a rule, this is the final stage. To hide small roughness and give a complete aesthetic look, many use ready-made corners. How to properly cut and glue a corner made of plastic, cork or MDF? Below are detailed recommendations for their installation.
Photo gallery: finishing materials
It can be seen that the assortment is quite extensive, and there is plenty to choose from. But what should be guided by this? Of course, no matter how we would like, but almost always the budget is limited. Therefore, first of all, we have to proceed from our financial situation. As mentioned above, plastic products have a very reasonable price, while their appearance is not much inferior to analogues made from natural materials. But, in addition to the price, you should also pay attention to the fact that these decor elements harmoniously fit into the design of the room.
For arches, you should purchase special arched corners of different sexes, they ideally retain their position when bent. Please note that the wider the sides of this element are, the more loads it can withstand.
Why do you need to fasten the corners to the slopes
Let’s start with the most important. why is it necessary? What role do the corners play. only decorative or do they have more serious functions? Let’s not argue with the fact that if you frame the slopes of doors or windows with special decorative elements that fit perfectly into the design of the room, then the interior will immediately change for the better.
Corners protect slopes from damage
But besides this, they also perform a very important protective function. Sooner or later, you have to carry bulky things through the opening, which is fraught with damage to the corners, and you can simply accidentally touch the outer corner and damage it. There can be a lot of situations, most importantly, the result is the same. a damaged surface and, accordingly, a view. In addition, as practice shows, most often the wallpaper begins to flake off precisely in these places. So it is best to protect the outer corner of the slope with a decorative element that will also transform the interior.
Corners are not only protection, but also a neat aesthetic appearance
Plastic, wooden or MDF. which ones to choose?
Making sure that the installation of corners is not just a whim, but a necessity, we will study the construction market in order to make the right choice. These products are divided into types depending on the material from which they are made. So, the corner can be plastic, wooden, bamboo, made of cork or MDF. Absolutely each type has its pros and cons, we will consider them in more detail.
Plastic corners are made by hot folding a sheet of polyvinyl chloride. Basically, they have the same shelf width. from 10 to 40 mm in 5 mm increments. However, there are asymmetric specimens, for example, 10×25 mm, but regardless of this parameter, the angle between the sides is 90 degrees. If it is necessary to transform the arched opening, then this is done by means of a special flexible profile. Their advantages can be called a relatively low cost, they do not need painting, unlike the same tree.
The next type is cork corners. Such decorative elements are quite often used for arched openings, but this does not mean at all that their use is limited only to this area. They can also be used for finishing slopes of various shapes. The cork has a number of advantages, including strength, fire resistance, practicality and environmental friendliness. In principle, this material has practically no drawbacks, except that if your pet wants to sharpen its claws on it, this will damage the surface.
It is also worth noting wooden and bamboo products, which will always be signs of excellent taste and will fit into almost any interior. In addition, we must not forget about their environmental friendliness. True, such elements are somewhat more expensive than their counterparts from other materials, and besides, they often need painting. A material such as MDF can also be compared with natural wood, only it costs significantly lower, because wood dust is used to create it.
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box
The marking of the corners of the skirting board joint can be done “in place” on the ceiling, and then the question of at what angle to cut the skirting board does not arise. over, it is possible to correctly cut the fillet without a miter box, however, to obtain corners without gaps, you need to work very carefully and accurately.
In this case, the design of the inner corner, the sequence of actions is as follows:
- We put the plinth on the place of its installation and draw the fishing line along the edge of the fillet on the ceiling at the joining point. We carry out the markup with a pencil with a short, non-greasy line.
- We carry out a similar procedure on the second side of the corner and we get the intersection of two lines.
- Now we transfer the marking of the obtained point to both plinths. At the same time, it makes no sense to mark the cutting line, since it will not work for sure to apply it on an uneven surface, and pencil marks will remain on the part after trimming.
- We place the skirting board on a wooden support in working position. For this, it is convenient to use a second plank, installed with an edge on the base. We look at the place of the cut perpendicularly from above and cut off the fillet, focusing on the mark and the opposite edge of the plinth.
- Trying on the cut skirting boards in the corner. Pencil marks can be erased with a rubber band.
The outside corner is marked differently. The skirting board is applied to the installation site and the corner mowing line is marked on the wall at its lower edge. Then a fillet trim is applied to the second edge of the corner, and a mark is made on the upper edge of the workpiece at the point of contact of the two profiles. The markings are transferred from the inside of the skirting board to the outside, and cutting is performed.
Note that in this case, pencil marks remain on the ceiling, which are not always easy to remove. In addition, when cutting out each corner, the marking operation must be done in place. It will probably be easier to work with a 45 ° cross pattern on the cutting stand.
The workpiece can now be placed on the base and cut using the template. By the way, the layout of the template can be done taking into account the deviations of the corners in the room and get joints without gaps.
Choosing fillets on the ceiling
Ceiling plinth, another name for fillet or ceiling corner, can be made from various materials, as well as have a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Starting with the appearance, you should choose the height of the profile of the finishing elements in proportion to the size of the room. So, for a room with a height of 2.7 m, a plinth with a height of 50 mm is suitable. In rooms with a height of 2.5 to 3 m, finishing elements from 40 to 80 mm, respectively, will be appropriate.
A great choice. durable and moisture resistant polyurethane fillets. At the same time, they are not recommended for use in the kitchen, where, under the influence of changing temperatures, the finish can deform.
Fillets made of wood are distinguished by their environmental friendliness and time-tested. However, wood can warp and change its size under the influence of fluctuations in temperature and moisture in certain rooms. The relatively large weight of such products makes them difficult to mount at the top. Docking wooden fillets is more difficult than those listed above. In the absence of experience in installing a plinth, it is better to purchase it with a certain margin, since mistakes are inevitable.
How to cut outside and inside corner on the ceiling plinth with your own hands
The angle between the ceiling and the wall in houses and apartments is rarely ideal. In this case, installing a skirting board is the most practical way to close the uneven border and brighten up the space above your head. Fixing the finishing elements to the ceiling is relatively easy, for example, with the help of “liquid nails”. At the same time, it is not at all easy to make a neat joint with your own hands, and it is better to first familiarize yourself with how to correctly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth.
The right solution is to cut the outer and inner corner with a miter box
You might get the impression that the fillet just needs to be cut at a 45º angle and glued in place. However, doing so can lead to up to three mistakes:
- make a cut at the wrong angle;
- the cut will be uneven;
- the cutting plane is not perpendicular to the ceiling.
In this case, the angle is less than 90 degrees.
If there is even one omission, the junction of two fillets will have unacceptable gaps and slots. At the same time, the use of a simple and inexpensive tool called a miter box solves all problems. By the way, it is easy to make it yourself in accordance with the recommendations “How to make a miter box with your own hands, photos of homemade constructions”.
In the standard version, the miter box allows you to cut workpieces at angles of 30, 45, 60 and 90º, which provides the ability to smoothly cut both internal and external corners, as well as to evenly join fillet pieces. For cutting materials such as expanded polystyrene, you can use a pistol knife with an 18mm blade, for working with wooden skirting boards and other materials, a hacksaw for metal is suitable.
The inner corner in rooms is much more common, so from it we will begin to act according to the following plan:
- First, you need to mark the fillet along the length, attaching it to the wall in an appropriate place. If this is not possible, you will have to use a tape measure. The mark is applied with a pencil, and so that it does not remain on the fillet after trimming.
- The workpiece is placed in the miter box so that it is in the working position. The edge of the skirting board, which will be on the wall, should be at the top, and the side that should be on the ceiling falls on the bottom of the miter box.
- Now insert the hacksaw into the rails at an angle of 45º so that after cutting the edge on the ceiling is shorter than the edge on the wall. With our left hand we press the workpiece to the miter box and carefully cut the fillet, trying to prevent the material from chipping.
- We also cut out the second part of the corner along the guide located at 90º to the previous cut. To do this, place the workpiece on the opposite side of the miter box.
- Trying to connect the parts in place. If there is a gap, we carry out the correction with a file or a knife.
- If the skirting board has a colored coating, the place of the cut must be tinted with the same color, otherwise the joint will be visible. Fillets can be glued in place.
The outer corner is cut in much the same way, but if the same part has both kinds of corners, the inner corner is cut first. We act according to the following plan:
- When marking the external joint, it should be borne in mind that the part will be longer by the amount of the plinth width.
- The workpiece is placed in the miter box so that it is in the working position. The edge of the skirting board, which will be on the wall, should be at the top, and the side that should be on the ceiling falls on the bottom of the miter box.
- Now insert the hacksaw into the rails at an angle of 45º so that after cutting the edge on the ceiling is longer than the edge on the wall. With our left hand we press the workpiece to the miter box and carefully cut the fillet, trying to prevent the material from chipping.
This is followed by the same operations as for the device of the internal joint. Unfortunately, it so happens that the corners in the room are not equal to 90º, and the joints are obtained with gaps.
In this case, a professional saw with a miter box solves the problem, which allows you to correctly cut the part at any angle. In its absence, the cutting angle can be adjusted by installing spacers between the fillet and the miter box. In this case, the thickness of the spacer must be greater than the compensated gap as many times as the distance from the spacer to the cut is greater than the width of the plinth.
Other ways to align corners evenly
It is very simple to join the profile in the corners with the help of special decorative corner elements. Unfortunately, not every skirting board can be matched with the necessary components.
over, the design of such elements is not always consistent with the overall interior of the room. On the contrary, in a certain situation, special corners will serve as a decoration of the room.
Using a miter box
Factory made miter box
The miter box has a recess for a cut-off board or plinth and saw slots at an angle of 45 and 90 degrees. You will need to cut the skirting board at a 45 degree angle.
To cut the skirting board with this device, you need to follow these steps.
- We apply the plinth to the future attachment point.
- We mark where we will cut.
- We put the plinth in the gutter of the miter box so that the lower part is pressed against the surface of the device, and the part that will be greased with glue “looks” up.
- Cut off the area by inserting the saw into one of the 45-degree holes.
- We correct the cuts with a knife or the same saw (remove irregularities).
How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth with a miter box
After that, the skirting board can be glued in place.
How to cut skirting boards to the ceiling: corners
Today it is impossible to imagine the interior of a residential building or apartment without ceiling plinths. The skirting board covers the irregularities of the suspended ceiling or wallpaper, cracks and imperfections in the walls, and gives the interior completeness. But how to make the skirting board perfectly fit in the most important place. in the corner? There are several ways.
If the angle is not right
Unfortunately, in some cases the angle between the walls in the room is not straight, but sharp, or, conversely, obtuse. This is due to structural defects that have arisen through the fault of non-professional builders, the architect’s idea or the result of soil subsidence some time after the construction of the building. This is especially common in village houses and summer cottages.
House plan with sharp and outer corners
No miter box or a drawing replacing it will help in this case, and you will have to do the markup in place.
- Attach the workpiece to one of the walls so that it rests against the other wall with its end.
- Run the line on the ceiling along the workpiece.
- Perform the same operation against another wall.
- At the intersection of the two lines, put a mark on the workpiece itself.
- Draw the line from the mark to the corner of the workpiece and cut along it.
- Do the same with the workpiece, which you will attach to another wall.
- Glue both blanks; they will come together tightly.
What tools can be used?
The feasibility of using certain tools is associated with the materials from which the skirting board will be made.
Tab. 1. Varieties of materials and features of their use.
|Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)||PVC skirting boards are distinguished by the fact that they are easily damaged when pressed and no longer restore their former appearance, since they are devoid of elasticity. Therefore, such skirting boards cannot be pressed when cutting.||Cut with a construction knife or a hacksaw for metal. A blade or a sharpened kitchen knife will also work.|
|Styrofoam||Foam plinth is also not very durable, but better than PVC counterparts. Easily crumbles.||The same tools can be used as for PVC|
|Wood||Stronger and more aesthetically pleasing than their polymer counterparts, but expensive.||It is best to cut the tree with a hacksaw, you can use metal, although this way you run the risk of hammering the teeth of the blade with wood sawdust. A hacksaw with fine teeth is best.|
It happens that the room has not only internal, but also external corners, which also need to be pasted over with a plinth (see photo). How to do it? There are several ways here as well. The easiest way, as with the inner corners, is to cut them with a miter box. The outer joints must be cut so that the side that will be glued to the ceiling is on the surface of the miter box, and the side pressed against the wall is facing the wall of the fixture.
As with the inside corners, you can also use in-place markings, that is, draw the line on the ceiling. Here, the technology is exactly the same as that used for the inner corners.
You can use the markings on the wall by attaching a workpiece and drawing a fishing line along its lower edge (see photo).
If the outer corner turns out to be too rounded, you can finish the joint with a knife.
Trimming the ceiling plinth. Outside and inside corners
To the point where they converge, the line is drawn directly along the future part of the connection. From the point on the ceiling to the second one. The resulting marking will be the line along which you need to saw off or cut off the connecting parts. Using these techniques, you no longer need to wonder how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth.
How to cut a skirting board without a miter box?
The easiest way is to draw the future cut line on paper (cardboard, wallpaper), and then, attaching the baseboard blank to it, cut.
To do this, you first need to attach the skirting board blank to the paper and draw two parallel mowing lines, which will indicate the sides of the skirting board. Then, using a protractor, you will have to measure 45 degrees and draw the line of the future cut. Then the drawing is used in the same way as the miter box: a blank is placed on it and the excess is sawn off along the mowing line.
How to cut the corners of a skirting board without a miter box
The disadvantage of this method is that the saw will have to be held on weight, focusing on the drawing, and not inserted into a previously prepared slot.
How to make a miter box yourself?
If desired, the miter box can be made at home. It can be crafted from wood or iron. The dimensions of the workpiece do not play a special role, but the wider it is, the more accurate your cuts will be. However, if the width is greater than the length of the hacksaw, with which you will cut the baseboards or boards, then it will be extremely inconvenient to saw, so you do not need to take a workpiece that is too wide.
First, a transverse line is marked in the center of the workpiece. Then, marks are made at a distance of 1/2 the width of the workpiece from the intersection of the straight line with the edges of the workpiece. Then these marks are connected crosswise, as shown in the figure.
Wooden miter box, fastened with self-tapping screws
Next, the process of marking the side walls of the miter box begins. Attach them to the already marked base and make marks based on the base markings. Then draw straight lines from these marks across the entire wall.
The scheme of making a wooden miter box
After that, the process of mounting the miter box begins. The walls must be attached to the base with self-tapping screws if the fixture is made of wood or chipboard or corners with bolts if it is made of steel. Only after installation in the miter box are sawed slots for the saw.
After making the slots, the miter box is ready. If you have a large amount of work or want to repair regularly (on a professional basis), this simple device can speed up the process of cutting skirting boards by 5-10 times.
Special tools are required for trimming. To make the joint you made no worse than that of a professional, get an electric miter saw or miter box. With the help of these tools, the cut is perfect, and it is very easy to make it. You need to set the required angle on the miter box and trim with a saw.
There are options for tools from the “hand” category. This is a hacksaw for metal or an ordinary saw and a hand miter box. This option is not always practical, since it can give a low-quality cut. Much will depend on the material of the baseboard. If its quality is not very high, then there is a high probability that it will crumble or break.
But the jigsaw will help to carry out the work very neatly. smoothly, without burrs, with high quality ends. True, you shouldn’t buy it just for this.
For expanded polystyrene fillets, you need an ordinary construction knife, but only a very sharp one. This material is easy to process and does not require special fixtures or tools.
How To Cut A Peak Angle Crown Molding
But even if in this case you have problems with the corners, do not be upset. Manufacturers offer ready-made baguettes, cut at the required angles. This option, although simpler, is more expensive. And here you have to choose. pay more money or suffer with a sharp.
Skirting board cutting device
If you ask a specialist how to cut the corner of a ceiling plinth, you can get very useful professional answers and recommendations.
Let’s go back to the miter box one more time. It is quite difficult to make an accurate cut without it. This device is very simple to use. it is necessary to install an inclined bar (element) according to gradation and make a cut along it using a knife, hacksaw or even a spatula. It all depends on the material from which the ceiling fillet is made.
If there is no miter box, then it is recommended to complete a template or sketch and cut corners from it. True, this option may turn out to be inaccurate.
But you can significantly reduce the time and simplify the fitting process. To do this, you need ready-made corners, with the help of which two plinths in the corner of the room are joined. In this case, pruning is not needed at all. They simply attach the plinth to the ceiling, and cover the gaps between the elements with a ready-made corner, which is usually glued to the plinth.
Such corners are made mainly of polystyrene, therefore they have a dense and durable structure. But even in this case, care and caution are necessary.
The issue of trimming the ceiling plinth is one of the most insidious. The fact is that the baguette is attached to the ceiling base not only at an angle of 45 degrees. This indicator varies in the range of 38-45 degrees. This is why the cut at the seams may not match the standard size. There may be a gap along the inner cut edges because the edges of the two baguettes do not fit tightly. And this is the main problem that affects the quality of the connection of two elements with each other.
Experts know the secret to successful docking. Its essence is that the baguette is cut not only along the outer edge, but also along the front side. For a professional, this process is simple, because he is constantly faced with it. And what about home craftsmen who carry out repairs with their own hands? Here it is important not to rush and use the postulate. “measure seven times, cut once.” And expert advice will not be superfluous.
Advice! Measure the angle first. it should be 90 degrees or so. In this case, you need to cut the baguettes at 45 degrees. The left element is cut from the right side, and the right one from the left.
If the skirting board covers the inner corner, then its lower part should protrude above the upper one. Conversely, when it comes to the outer corner. And here a lot will depend on the material from which the ceiling plinth is made.
For example, styrofoam products are the easiest to customize because you can make small deviations from the rules. The soft structure will allow two elements to be pressed against each other and smooth out small inaccuracies. This will not work with plastic and wood. These are strong and dense materials, so corners must be cut exactly to size and templates.
Install Wall Angle at Ceiling Height | Armstrong Ceiling Solutions
How to cut ceiling plinths and join them correctly
How to cut a ceiling plinth
Installation of a ceiling plinth only at first glance seems to be a simple matter. But when you come across it one-on-one, then any desire to engage in repairs immediately disappears. It turns out that this business is painstaking and not always easy. Often the stumbling block is the question of how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth.
To do this correctly, and even then carefully fit the details, you need to have some knowledge. But let’s take everything in order.
Now you know how to cut ceiling skirting boards. This process is not as simple as it might seem at first glance. To carry it out, an important tool is needed. a miter box. And you also need attentiveness and only attentiveness. You will also need to correctly measure the room angle and cut angle. The quality of the work done largely depends on these two indicators.
Take all this into account and feel free to proceed with the installation of ceiling plinths.
Notes on repairs, soap making and something else
The whole problem with corners is not that it is difficult to cut off an angle at 90 degrees, but that all walls are curved, and rarely anyone has exactly 90 angles, some corners are larger, some are smaller, this is the whole difficulty.
Faced with the renovation face to face, I had to learn how to cut this skirting board correctly, I couldn’t do it by eye, I got large gaps in the corners. Of course, you can cover these cracks with putty, but firstly you can still see them (because they are very large), and secondly, I could not believe in any way that there is no technology for cutting these very corners.
Well, of course, the Internet saved me, it was difficult to find how to cut these corners, but nevertheless I found a rather dry explanation and now I want to share this technology with you, and what would I not forget when I will do the next repair
First you need to prepare tools and materials.
The most important thing. this is a knife, a very sharp knife that would cut the baseboard like butter.
The second tool is a pencil, preferably sharpened.
And of course the plinth itself.
We apply the plinth to the corner and draw a line with a pencil on the ceiling.
Place the second skirting board on the other side of the corner. We also draw a line on the ceiling.
Find the place where the lines intersect. We transfer this point to both skirting boards.
We put the plinth on a flat horizontal surface, press the marked side to the surface. Cut off with a knife strictly vertically through two points: marked with the edge of the skirting board. The most important thing here is to cut off the plinth strictly vertically and evenly.
We put both skirting boards in the corner. The angle should turn out to be even, but if you still get a gap, then it will be thin and uniform. It can be easily covered with putty so that no one will ever notice.
The outer corner can be easily made in the same way. To do this, you need to draw a line on the wall and, when cutting, press the plinth with the unmarked side to the surface.
In this technology, the most important are marking and cutting at a vertical angle. The final result depends on the quality of these actions.
The perfection of the plinth cut depends on the skill, moreover, this skill is easily forgotten, but just as easily and comes again.
I also want to note that after trying to cut the plinth using this technology, I began to make corners the first time, although before that I had been suffering with them for a long time. Those. cutting turns out well literally the first time, the main thing is that the knife is sharp.
So good luck to everyone who was helped by this information to achieve the best result.!,
- Measure the length of the plinth from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave the fishing line on the wrong side with a pencil, indicating the desired length. It should be noted that the edge (its upper part) should protrude slightly outward.
- The plinth is moved to the miter box and cut off.
- The adjacent bar also needs to be measured with a margin and cut off in a mirror image to the first part.
Trying on the ceiling plinth: the joining of the parts should be perfectly flat. If the result is not achieved and there are irregularities at the joints, you can trim the edges with an ordinary knife until a perfect fit.
Checking the smooth docking
All the nuances are well described in the video:
Method two. no additional tools
For the inner corner, you can use the simplest way of perfect joining. by marking on the ceiling. Another example of how to cut a corner nice and even.
- Apply a fillet to the ceiling, firmly pressing its even edge into a corner.
- Draw a line along the long side of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The same action is done with the adjacent part on the other side.
- Mark the point of intersection of lines.
The end result is an even 45 ° angle when you draw the line from the point of intersection to the edge of the part. Note that the above marking method works only at perfectly flat corners.
How to cut the corner of a skirting board evenly
A beautiful and neat edging of the ceiling hides the joints between the coatings and is an additional element of the room’s decor. But in order for the ceiling plinth to look really beautiful, you need to be able to qualitatively join its corner joints.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth evenly can be found in our article.
Related article: how to properly glue the ceiling plinth with glue and putty.
- Making the right measurements.
- We install the plinth strip in the miter box so that this position exactly coincides with the placement on the ceiling.
- The plinth should be firmly pressed against the opposite wall of the miter box. Hold and press with your free hand.
- We put a hacksaw at an angle of 45 ° in a special hole and cut off the part.
- The adjacent part must be cut in the same way, only in a mirror image, as shown in the photo.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, expanded polystyrene), use a hacksaw for metal or an ordinary construction knife. Then the work will be neat and with smooth edges.
The first way is with a miter box
Professional miter box with rotary hacksaw
The miter box usually looks like a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool represents the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool for cutting wood pieces at 90 ° and 45 ° angles. There are types of such a device for professional work, with a rotary mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
Ceiling corners are divided into internal and external, the method of joining on them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a miter box with your own hands. To do this, you will need three trims from plywood or boards of the same size. First, they are applied in the form of an inverted letter “P” and the corners are marked. Then, according to the marking, slots are cut out for a hacksaw almost to the very bottom, and the boards are twisted.
With a good eye and accuracy of hand action, you can use a homemade template that resembles an imitation of a miter box. To do this, take a thin board or thick plywood and draw a layout in the form of a horizontal rectangle. Using a protractor, mark 45 ° on the right and left sides of the rectangle. Draw mowing lines connecting opposite edges. You can now cut off the ceiling plinth using this layout. The actions are simple and similar to the description above in the first option. Only the ceiling parts should not be inserted, but placed on the drawing and the hacksaw should be combined with the layout of the layout.
Special accessories for docking
Using a miter box
If you are completely new to this business, it is better to carry out the work using a special tool. a miter box and a hacksaw. So it will turn out to cut the plinth strictly at an angle of 45 degrees, as well as achieve perfect joining of adjacent elements. In the process, pay attention to the following points:
- first measure the length of the ceiling along the fillet mowing line;
- using a miter box, you can trim angles of different sizes;
- if there are irregularities and edges on the baguettes, it is better to use a clerical knife.
Cutting the baguette at an angle is carried out as follows:
- set the required parameters on the instrument;
- insert the first element and a hacksaw for metal into the tool;
- cut off the excess plinth;
- insert the second part into the miter box, which will be docked with the previous one;
- choose opposite holes, and do not change the cut angle;
- cut fillet.
If you do everything correctly, then when docking, the parts will perfectly match each other.
The modern construction market offers a wide range of ceiling fillets made of different materials. These include:
- polystyrene skirting boards are produced from polystyrene masses in the process of extrusion. The main feature is a clearly defined relief. Such fillets are inexpensive, look impressive, and after staining, they resemble real plaster moldings in appearance. Among the disadvantages are fragility, rigidity and low strength;
- fillets made of polyurethane, due to the plasticity of the material, often decorate ceilings in rooms of non-standard shapes, which are characterized by a large number of complex corners, broken lines and curved sections. Such skirting boards are not afraid of high humidity and temperature extremes. The only drawback is that their cost is higher than that of polystyrene counterparts;
- polyvinyl chloride ceiling moldings are rightfully called the most budget option. At the same time, products are produced in a wide range of colors, with different patterns and patterns on the surface. Fillets made of PVC are easy to install, have increased hygroscopicity, but cannot be stained;
- wooden skirting boards are in high demand among buyers, despite the high cost and complexity of fastening. The qualitative characteristics of the material, its naturalness, attractive appearance, strength, durability, environmental friendliness are the main advantages of a wooden frame for finishing ceilings;
- plaster fillets will help to make the room individual, emphasize the beauty of the interior. Thanks to the plasticity of gypsum, craftsmen make real works of art out of it. Plaster skirting boards have not gone out of fashion for many years. Their high cost is fully paid off by the service life and the effect produced. A significant disadvantage is the increased fragility of gypsum, so the material requires careful and careful handling.
How to make corners for ceiling skirting boards
When finishing external corners, proceed as follows:
- first measure the length of the fillet from the nearby wall to the outer corner, draw a line with a simple pencil from the seamy side of the plinth. In this case, part of the part should go out a little;
- cut the baguette with a miter box;
- the second corner piece must also be measured and cut in a mirror image in relation to the first piece with a small margin.
After the elements have been cut off, a joint check should be carried out by attaching them to the ceiling. The joint should be flat. If you are not satisfied with the result, carefully trim the corners with a clerical knife.
How to cut a corner correctly
How to cut off the ceiling plinth
Before answering the question of how to make the outer corner of the ceiling plinth, you need to understand how to cut the plinth. When installing any of the listed types of skirting boards, it is very important to make a high-quality corner joint, and for this to make the correct trimming of fillets.
Depending on the material from which the ceiling plinth is made, work with products is carried out using special devices. So, for example, sawing a baguette from wood should be done using a hacksaw for wood.
Other types of skirting boards are cut with metal sheets or saws. Thanks to this, it is possible to obtain a perfectly even cut and angle. Such canvases are most often used to work with miter box.
malleable materials, such as foam fillets, are cut with a regular utility knife with a very sharp blade. If polyurethane or polystyrene baguettes are cut with a hacksaw, it is important not to apply excessive pressure when pressing, otherwise the material will deform.
On a note! Practice on an unnecessary piece of material before you cut a corner on your ceiling plinth. Then during your main work it will be easier for you.
How to make the outer corner of a ceiling plinth in different ways
How to make the outer corner of a ceiling plinth is one of the most common questions. Ceiling decoration often ends with the installation of a decorative plinth around the perimeter of the room. It reliably masks the joints between the ceiling surface and walls, helps to hide small defects formed during the work. At first glance, the installation of this skirting board is not difficult. But often, when working independently, the question arises of how to make the outer corner of the ceiling plinth and make high-quality joining of the inner corners so that they turn out to be even and neat.
How to make a corner of a ceiling plinth without a miter box
Experts say that without a miter box, cutting the ceiling plinth will turn out better, especially in the inner corners. The only drawback is working with fillets made of wood or polyurethane. Due to their massive weight, it will be quite difficult to hold them on outstretched arms during measurements.
The procedure will be as follows:
- first, at an angle of 90 °, two blanks are cut, which need to be joined;
- now take one part, attach it to the ceiling, rest the end part of the element against the wall located perpendicular to the fillet;
- with a simple pencil outline the contour of the plinth on the ceiling;
- do the same with the second element;
- inspect the result. The intersection of the lines will correspond to the place where the skirting board is cut. For reliability, attach the elements to the ceiling again, mark on them the places where the trimming will begin. From this place, directly along the plinth, draw the fishing line along which you will make an incision;
- now cut off the excess parts of the parts and proceed to their installation.
If, after gluing the plinth to the ceiling, you see that the angle is not very even, the resulting gap can be covered with putty or sealed with sealant.