How to cut ceiling plinths in corners correctly
How to cut a skirting board in corners without a miter box
The miter box seems to be easy to handle, but the angles are not always 90 degrees. This method will help solve the problem of correctly cutting the skirting board in the corners quickly and without unnecessary hassle.
Procedure to properly cut the skirting board in the corners without a miter box:
- Place the skirting board close to the corner.
- Draw a pencil line along the top of the skirting board.
- Do the same on the other side of the corner. attach the baseboard and draw a line. In the corner these stripes will cross.
- Re-attach the plinth, draw a line down from the intersection. We do the same with the second part.
- Cut the skirting board along the marked strips. The result is an even and beautiful angle.
How to trim ceiling plinths in corners
The skirting board for the ceiling is an important detail of the interior, which hides the imperfections of the joints of the decoration on the walls. It is easy to install as it is attached with glue. But here’s how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners? This will help you figure it out
How to trim the skirting board for the outer corner
It should be borne in mind that when trimming the fillet at a completely right angle, there will be a strong gap between the two planks. Therefore, you should use this scheme:
- Measure the length of the skirting board against the ceiling surface.
- Place the plinth in the miter box, holding the part with your hand.
- Place the tool at an angle of 45 degrees. It should point to the left.
- Trim the oblique corner.
- Next, we carry out similar actions with the second bar, but the tool should be directed to the right.
How to process an inner corner
To cut the ceiling plinth in the inner corners using a miter box, you need to follow a simple scheme:
- Measure the length of the plinth by attaching it to the ceiling.
- Install it in the miter box on the left and press.
- Holding the plinth with your hand, place the knife at a 45 degree angle (should point to the right) and carefully cut.
- Measure the length of the second plinth.
- Install it in the miter box on the right and press.
- Further actions are similar, but the tool must be directed to the left.
Tommy’s Trade Secrets – How To Fit Coving (Internal Mitre)
A few useful tips from experienced craftsmen who will quickly help you cut the plinth in the corners without a miter box:
- ceiling strips are installed after all parts have been prepared;
- if an error is formed at the foam plinth, it can be corrected with an ordinary knife. If it is made of a different material, it is better to use a file;
- you need to cut the skirting boards from the side, and then try them on to the desired angle in order to immediately detect errors;
- before finishing cuts, it is advisable to perform several test fillets on scraps to avoid mistakes;
- it is advisable to treat the joints at the corners of already glued skirting boards with silicone sealant or finishing putty;
- trimming the fillet is required on a straight and solid plane, marking up;
- to mark the outer corner, the plinth must extend beyond the corner to its full width;
- to mark the inner corner, the length of the plinth is counted from the corner;
- A table pressed against the wall may well become a template for a home maker. It forms a perfect right angle.
How to cut a skirting board with a miter box
The miter box is a carpenter’s tool, which is a slotted tray. It allows you to cut the ceiling plinth at the desired angle.
If we talk about a professional tool, it has a special turning mechanism. This allows you to set the required degree of the angle. It is most convenient to use a miter box when the angle between the walls is perfectly straight.
How to cut a plinth for a ceiling
To quickly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box, you need to take into account what material it is made of. This will also allow you to select the tool you need to work.
On the construction market, skirting boards made of the following materials are most often found:
Polyvinyl chloride has a small price category. But any kink or dent will not pass without a trace for him. Also, the skirting board made of this material quickly becomes dirty. You can cut it with a hacksaw or a construction knife.
The styrofoam option is cheap but fragile. To cut such a ceiling plinth in the corners, you should take a sharp knife or hacksaw for metal. And it is advisable not to put pressure on the material.
The extruded version is much denser than a foam baseboard, but it is more difficult to cut it, especially without a miter box. Tools for work will need similar.
Polyurethane skirting boards are considered the most expensive. It is durable, moisture resistant and has excellent flexibility. You can use a construction knife for cutting.
To figure out how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners without a miter box, first you need to clarify how exactly this is done with it.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in corners without a miter box
Every novice master who has started a renovation sooner or later wonders how to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners without a miter box. The scheme proposed in the article is perfect for both a beginner and an experienced craftsman, so that beautiful even skirting boards please the eye.
How to trim a ceiling plinth with a miter box template
Something resembling a miter box can be done by applying the required cut angles to paper, cardboard or wood. You need to draw two parallel lines, determine the center, and then set aside the necessary corners using a protractor. The advantage of this method is that you can postpone any angle, including more than 90 degrees. Of course, before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth, you must first check the angle between the walls using a corner and measure with a protractor.
The technique for cutting a ceiling plinth using a painted miter box is exactly the same as using the miter box itself. We press the plinth plinth to one of the parallel lines, then set the hacksaw at the desired angle, which is already outlined, and cut off.
Ceiling plinth performs not only a decorative function, visually separating the walls from the ceiling, but can also hide the joints of various finishing materials of the ceiling and walls. Not every interior design involves the use of a skirting board, but more often than not, the overall look of the room seems incomplete without it. There is nothing complicated in fixing this element. fillets. almost all types of skirting boards are attached with glue. But the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the premises can confuse many. Indeed, even in the simplest room there are internal corners, where the plinths of the ceiling plinth must be precisely and beautifully docked. And in a more complex configuration of the room, you will also have to dock the skirting boards, performing the outer corner. In this article, we will look at various options for how to cut a ceiling plinth with and without tools at hand.
First you need to figure out how to cut the ceiling plinth, the answer to it depends on the material from which the fillet is made. At the moment, we sell ceiling skirting boards made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (polystyrene), polyurethane and wood.
PVC ceiling skirting boards are the cheapest. Dents and creases are easily formed on them, which cannot be repaired, so the product must be thrown away. Also their disadvantage is electrostaticity. the ability to attract dust. You can cut them with a sharp construction knife or hacksaw.
Styrofoam ceiling skirting boards are also cheap. This material is very fragile, it easily crumbles during processing, therefore, it is necessary to cut the expanded polystyrene with a sharp knife or a hacksaw on metal, without making too strong pressing forces.
Ceiling skirting boards made of extruded polystyrene foam are slightly more expensive than polystyrene foam, they are denser and more difficult to cut. However, they crumble less, making them easier and more comfortable to work with. Cut with a construction knife and a hacksaw for metal.
Polyurethane ceiling skirting boards are the most expensive at the moment. They are durable, elastic and moisture resistant, can be easily cut with a construction knife and do not crumble. The disadvantage of polyurethane skirting boards is their dependence on temperature changes. For example, over a gas stove, a polyurethane skirting board will permanently deform and crackle slightly. If you try to process or cut such a skirting board, it may bend or deform in other ways.
Wooden ceiling skirting boards are dense, heavy products that can only be cut with a hacksaw, preferably with fine, dense teeth. You can also use a cloth for metal.
Before proceeding to the enumeration of the methods of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, I would like to note that there is a possibility not to cut the plinth with great precision. There are special corner pieces on sale into which the edges of the skirting board are inserted. In this case, it is enough to cut the plinth strip at an angle of 90 °, and the corner element will hide all the flaws. But this method is not always used, since the dimensions of the corner elements are slightly larger than the skirting boards themselves, so the corners in the room will stand out against the general background. Sometimes it can look bulky. However, if the design of the room allows the use of corner pieces for ceiling skirting boards, it makes sense to use them. Further instructions will be useful to those who nevertheless decided to accurately cut the skirting boards at a given angle.
Skirting materials and cutting methods
First of all, let’s try to determine what the fillet can be made of, and what specific material is better to cut.
On sale today you can find products made of polystyrene (polyvinyl chloride), wood, expanded polystyrene and polyurethane.
Perhaps one of the cheapest skirting boards is made of polystyrene, which is a fragile, soft and brittle material.
Even the fingers of the hands can leave dents on them, wrinkles and defects are easily formed on them. It is quite difficult to cut a beautifully and evenly corner at a baseboard based on polyvinyl chloride.
For an inexperienced craftsman, a large amount of purchased material can go to waste for this very reason. Also, this polymer has high electrostatic properties, which explains its ability to collect dust.
It is most convenient to cut such a plinth with a hacksaw or a sharp construction knife.
Products made of expanded polystyrene are also inexpensive, although this material is a more durable analogue of traditional foam.
Can also be cut with a sharp tool.
Extruded expanded polystyrene
Extruded polystyrene skirting boards are slightly more expensive, they are somewhat denser and more difficult to cut. But they crumble and break much less.
Therefore, it is more convenient and easier to cut them. For this purpose, it is convenient to use a hacksaw or a sharp knife.
Polyurethane ceiling skirting boards are currently perhaps one of the most expensive.
But they justify their cost: moisture resistant, quite strong and dense, quite elastic.
The skirting above the stove can deform and even crackle slightly.
They are perfectly cut with a special knife without forming crumbs. But these products are very sensitive to temperature extremes.
Wooden skirting boards for the ceiling are quite heavy and dense products, solid and durable.
They lend themselves well to processing with a special fine-toothed hacksaw. You can also use a reliable metal blade. So how to cut the ceiling plinth correctly?
How to trim ceiling plinths in corners?
Wooden skirting boards are not common and are expensive, so you need to be extremely responsible in their processing. Cutting technology looks like this:
- The end to be cut is fixed in the miter box.
- The cut is made. This can be done with an ordinary wood hacksaw, but it is better to use a special saw or metal saw to avoid cutting too wide.
Asterisk IMPORTANT: when adjusting, you need to be extremely careful; it is better to close the uneven cut with a decorative overlay or wood filler than to chise out too large an array of wood.
A plinth made of plastic (polyvinyl chloride, PVC) is now widespread. It’s convenient because:
- Easy to cut with any tool.
- Flexible, can be used even in uneven corners.
- Usually it has internal cavities, which means it can be used as a cable channel for laying electrical wiring or fiber-optic lines for the Internet.
PVC skirting boards are cut in the same way as polyurethane. However, one must take into account: the best tool, a hacksaw for metal with fine teeth, is suitable only for thick skirting boards, in thin ones it can pull out pieces. Therefore, the best option for thin products is a stationery or construction cutter or a sharpened knife. To use it, you need a certain skill, so it is better to practice in advance on scraps or sheets of thin plastic.
Polyfoam is also often found as an element of the decoration of rooms. Its characteristic feature is increased fragility, therefore, it must be adjusted in place very accurately, the foam does not tolerate any deformations.
You need to cut it with a miter box as follows:
- Plinth plates are stacked in the miter box.
- An incision is made. Unlike polyurethane, foam is a soft material, and it can be cut even with a knife or, better, with a stationery or construction cutter. Here it is better to use a small, but even piece of wood, a metal plate or a ruler. As a last resort, you can make pencil marks corresponding to the slots of the miter box, connect them with a ruler. and lead the slot.
Asterisk IMPORTANT: Styrofoam is a brittle material, so the cutting tool should be sharpened as best as possible.
All About Cutting Ceiling Plinth Corners
In a workshop engaged in woodworking or repairing metal parts, this operation is not difficult. The bar is put on the machine, fixed in the desired position, then the excess is removed with a circular saw. The machine has a device that allows you to rotate the baguette at a given degree and measure the required distance from each side. It is much more difficult to work without precision instruments. After marking, you need to hold the blade in the correct position. Making a diagonal cut is much more difficult than making a straight cut. Such operations should not be performed on the eye. Everything must be measured carefully. There are several ways to simplify the task and avoid mistakes. First, you need to choose the right tool and understand what scheme to follow.
How to make the corners of a ceiling plinth without fixtures
- Mark the skirting boards as required.
- Using a ruler, connect the edge of the skirting board to the mark. If you just cut along the line, the parts in the corner will still not fold, since the inner part will interfere. You can trim it later by taking measurements on the ceiling.
- You can lay the piece to be cut on the table, with the part that will be located on the ceiling, and cut at an angle of 45 degrees. Adjustment required, but less.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the second plank, making the outer corner.
Thus, you can make a ceiling plinth without special tools, using available tools.
How to join skirting boards in the corners
Next, you need to correctly join the corners. The made ceiling moldings are attached at an angle of 38-45 °, so the classic 45 ° is not always suitable at the joints. In various cases, the cut edges do not join and leave gaps. For this reason, after the initial trimming of the corners, it is necessary to carry out a “dry” and maximally accurate joining of the baguettes directly to the ceiling. Especially have to tinker with wood and plastic materials.
Having completed the rough joining of the skirting boards, glue or screw the fillets to the walls and ceiling, then, if necessary, use a putty and seal the seams at the end.
Important points on how to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners
Let’s consider how to correctly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth and get an excellent result the first time. Follow a few helpful tips:
- Before fastening, both parts must be matched to each other. Place both halves together. The surface of the wall must be dry. Having found defects, you can easily level them with a knife.
- Several trims may be required. Don’t be discouraged if it takes a long time and has to make a few trims, especially if this is your first time doing the job.
- Determine the correct length of the planks in the corners. For the inner corner, the length of the plank must be adjusted exactly from corner to corner; on the outer corner, the measurement is taken from the inner point in the direction of the room.
- If the corners generally match perfectly, but there are small gaps in the middle, they can be repaired with a putty.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners: instructions and recommendations
A high-quality renovation presupposes an attentive and accurate attitude to details. Finishing the work with the ceiling, you need to arrange it well. for this, ceiling plinths are used. As a rule, the installation of the planks does not cause any particular difficulties; you will have to tinker with the corners. Let’s take a closer look at how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners, talk about different methods, and give useful recommendations.
Ceiling plinths from any material can be cut using one of the methods described below. They are suitable for everyone except for plastic ones: they are made out using ready-made corners.
What tools will be needed?
For ceiling plinths, the following tools may come in handy, depending on the chosen method of work:
- Saw on wood. Suitable for working with wooden ceiling plinths.
- Metal sheet. Suitable for other types of skirting boards (foam, plastic, etc.).
- Miter box. The tool is a chute, which has the shape of an inverted P, where lines for cutting are outlined at angles of 45 ° and 90 °.
- Electric miter saw. Can be used instead of a miter box, helps to achieve high cutting accuracy.
- Jigsaw. Easy to operate, with the help of it you can efficiently and correctly cut a corner without burrs.
- Stationery or construction knife. Suitable for foam skirting boards, it is important that it has an excellent cutting blade, and therefore must be well sharpened.
You can not make fillets yourself, but immediately purchase those that were initially prepared for docking. This is how they produce expanded polystyrene fillets, which do not need to be adjusted to each other.
The baguette that will be fixed to the left must have a right cut, and the right baguette must have a left cut. When creating the inner corner, make the bottom section rise above the top, for the outer corner everything should be the other way around.
Attach the baguettes to each other, if necessary, make undercuts at the joints of the base. If everything is in order, the skirting boards can be fixed with glue or screwed to the walls with further sealing of the seams.
Making corners using a miter box
If the walls and corners of the room are even, you can use a miter box for work. In order to cut the corner correctly, the part in which the person will make a gash should be laid inside the miter box, then insert the saw into the guides. This holds the part in place and can be cut at the desired angle. For high-quality cutting of the plinth, it must simultaneously adhere to both surfaces, so it should be pressed against the wall of the miter box. The ceiling plinth is pressed with the side that is closer to you.
With a miter box, you will need to cut a 45-degree angle. First you need to decide how to position the plinth in the miter box. To avoid confusion and cut correctly, place the right plank on the right and the left plank on the left.
Follow the instructions below:
- Press the part of the miter box that will be on the ceiling to the bottom of the miter box. The other side will be lifted up and closer to you. It can be resting on the wall of the tool, and then it will not stagger when cutting.
- Determine the direction of the cut as shown in this figure, and then cut the corner.
- Fold the cut pieces together. you’ve got an inside or outside corner.
DIY Coving Cornice Cutting Tips for Beginners
Place it on the ceiling and check the geometry. If it is not even enough, it can be slightly corrected with a knife, and in the case of minor defects and wide gaps, you can use a putty.
How to cut skirting boards using decorative corners
With the help of them, you can easily and quickly obtain the desired angles in polystyrene or polyurethane skirting boards. Install them on the ceiling, and then glue the strips to them tightly. Cutting them is easy using a clerical knife.