How To Cut Corrugated Board At Home
How and how to cut the profiled sheet? Lessons What is the cut of corrugated board (galvanized, with a polymer coating)? What is the “Cricket” drill attachment? Features of the use of electrical devices.
How and how to cut the profiled sheet? Lessons
The profiled sheet is covered with several protective layers. Galvanized, anti-corrosion, primer, decorative polymer. Violation of their integrity will lead to oxidation and rapid destruction. The greatest harm is caused by sparks and heating to high temperatures, which causes the polymer layer and steel to melt.
List of tools suitable for cutting
You can cut a profiled sheet with such devices:
- Electric circular saw with saw blade for steel;
- Hand saw;
- Hand scissors for metal;
- Manual nibblers;
- Electric shears. Nibbling, knife, slotted;
- Drill attachment “Cricket” is an analogue of die-cut electric shears.
All of these types do not generate sparks during operation, they operate on the principle of cold cutting. Electrical devices are available in two types of power supply: wired and rechargeable.
It is theoretically possible to cut an angle grinder into corrugated board, but experts do not recommend using this tool. Galvanized steel, which is the basis of the material, and the protective coating on both sides melt at a distance of up to 5 mm from its impact. This causes edge corrosion. The second risk factor is sparks. Once on the surface, they spoil the polymer coating.
1. Manual scissors for metal.
The simplest tool for sheets up to 1.5 mm thick at home is a scissors with HSS blades. They are suitable for those who have to deal with a small amount of material from time to time. There are two types:
- Roller. Blades and handles are connected with a screw;
- Lever. The cutting part with the handles are connected by a hinge, this is a more convenient design that facilitates work that requires less effort.
According to the location of the cutting edge, there are three types of scissors: left, right and combined. If you want to cut from left to right, then use the right-hand device and vice versa. For curved cuts, there are options with curved blades. When choosing, be sure to pay attention to the cutting ability: not everyone can easily cope with thick sheets.
2. Hand hacksaw for metal.
Replaceable fine-toothed files are used. She has a relatively high accuracy and speed of work. Consists of a C-frame and a cutting blade. Disadvantages: cutting can only be done on a workbench, only in a straight line; considerable hand force is required. Choose a hacksaw with a blade of at least 300 mm. For hard-to-reach places or difficult cuts, there are options without a bulky frame, with a side handle.
3. Manual nibbling (punching, punching) shears.
This is the optimal solution for small volumes. The main element is an open die cutting head for easy entry and a chip cutter. An additional detail is a transparent plastic protective shield for ejection of sawdust. It guides the chips forward, making the process safer. The minimum cutting radius with slotted shears is 25 mm. To start the cut, an 8.5 mm hole must be drilled in the material. The advantages of this tool, when compared with ordinary scissors, are great maneuverability, ease of arranging curvilinear cuts.
4. Nibbling (cutting) electric shears.
One of the best options for cutting the profiled sheet yourself, quickly and in large quantities, from the edge and from the inside. They are easy to use and work like a hole punch. The main elements are a movable punch and a fixed die with a hole of the same shape. The tool does not heat the metal, does not spoil the polymer coating, makes turns at any angle, cuts holes in hard-to-reach places, including those of complex configuration. Cuts made with electric nibblers do not have burrs, so there is no need to process them further.
5. Drill head “Cricket”.
It can cut vertically and horizontally, make round or curly holes. The cut is very neat, the material does not deform, but for this you need to choose the right speed of the drill, otherwise the punch will bend the edges. The disadvantage is that it is suitable only for small volumes.
6. Electric scissors.
In professional construction, two more types of electric shears are used for work related to cutting smooth and profiled sheets:
- Knife. It is convenient to cut in a straight line, but it is difficult to rotate at an angle.The main element consists of two blades, one of which is movable and the other is not. The chips are deflected to the side, which prevents the appearance of defects on the protective polymer coating.
- Slotted. Their main part is the open-type cutting head. Slotted cutters are suitable for straight and curved cuts.
Both types have powerful motors and are easy to handle. The cut is perfectly flat, clean, especially high quality for slotted.
Special replaceable saw blades are used. They allow you to make a very even thin cut. With a jigsaw, it is easy not only to cut the sheet in a straight line, but also to make curved cuts. It is impossible to place the corrugated board by weight, since the metal has a small thickness and is easily deformed.
- You can work right on the construction site;
- High speed compared to hand power tools;
- Ease of controls;
- Low cost of consumables (files).
Disadvantages of using a jigsaw:
- Files wear out quickly, often break;
- High level of noise;
- Impossibility of cutting a sheet with a profile height of less than 20 mm;
- You can cut with a jigsaw only in an upright position, that is, two people are needed to do the work;
- Does not burn the protective coating, but tears metal, the edges require priming.
It is permissible to stop the selection on a jigsaw only if there is no possibility of using other tools.
8. Electric circular (circular) saw.
Builders recommend using special carbide discs with a fine pitch and a reverse angle (curved teeth) or universal universal. To cut off the corrugated board evenly, you need a plywood conductor. A reference groove is cut in the center of the plywood. Marks are made on the sheet on both sides, then they are placed on a plywood conductor and pressed tightly. The metal does not melt, but falls in fine sawdust, does not spoil the polymer coating. This is the optimal solution for large elements.
Like all other tools, the angle grinder is divided into classes, professional and household tools, as well as by their design features.
This is perhaps the most widely used tool outside of the drill. Many people work with an angle grinder, but not everyone is wondering about the correctness of the manipulations performed, from the point of view of personal safety and quality of work. In this article, we want to devote you to the basic subtleties of working with this tool and consider in detail the following questions:
Let’s go in order.
How TO CUT CORRECTLY AN angle grinder?
Before you get started, you need to prepare your angle grinder. We mean the choice of rig (disc). The following points should be considered here:
- Disc diameter. Remember, the smaller the disc diameter, the more revolutions (higher rotational speed) it can handle, and vice versa.
- The choice of a disc depends primarily on the material with which you plan to work and the design features of your instrument.
- Pay close attention to the legend and markings on the disc. Having carefully studied them, you will understand whether the selected equipment is suitable for the proposed work.
Also, always follow safety precautions and wear special equipment such as gloves, goggles, long sleeved robes and closed shoes.
First of all, clear the workplace of unnecessary items. Securely fix the workpiece to be processed, having previously marked it on it, if necessary. Let’s get to work.
Always hold the tool firmly and confidently with both hands. Take a steady body position. You need to stand so that sparks do not fly on clothes and, even more so, in the face during work.
Always remember about such a thing as kickback. This is the most dangerous thing that can happen when working with a grinder. It can occur if the disc is strongly jammed in the workpiece. In such a situation, the angle grinder will be thrown back sharply. Monitor the process to avoid this.
Also remember that the power cord of the angle grinder must be insulated from sparks during operation. If you need to move the instrument to a different work surface, be sure to turn it off first and then unplug the power cord. The same should be done in the event of a power outage. As soon as there is no electricity, turn off the instrument and then unplug it from the mains. If this is not done, then when power is restored, the angle grinder will start to work in a chaotic mode again and can cause irreparable harm to your health, those around you or damage objects around.
The most frequently asked question that arises among novice craftsmen is the following: How to cut an angle grinder correctly: for yourself or away from yourself? Many do not give this special significance, but in vain.
Bulgarian manufacturers advise their consumers the following: The tool should be used in such a way that the course (direction) of the cut coincides with the direction of rotation of the disc.
Experienced craftsmen have a clear answer to this question: You need to make a cut from yourself. This is for your safety. In case the angle grinder is pulled out of your hands, the tool will be thrown in the opposite direction from you. If you cut towards yourself, when the above situation occurs, the tool will fly to your feet. We will not describe the consequences. You can imagine them yourself.
If you are cutting parts or workpieces that have thick metal, cut them in an extremely straight line.
When working on a part such as a corner or when cutting a profile or profile tube, which is usually quite long, cut the overhanging edge. Otherwise, if you make a cut in the place between the supports, such an outcome as a jamming of the blade due to the deflection of the workpiece is possible.
If you are cutting a corrugated sheet (sheet metal sheeting), metal siding (metal siding) or metal tiles, take care of the presence of special anti-corrosion substances that need to be lubricated in order to avoid sudden corrosion.
In case you are cutting paving slabs or paving stones, get a special diamond cut disc.
Reinforced concrete, concrete and other similar materials must be processed with special discs for stone.
If you need to cut a gas or oxygen cylinder, be very careful as it may explode due to the remaining trace of gas or condensation. It is better not to carry out such work at home.
If you need to cut glass or, for example, a mirror. The most trivial ceramic disc will suit you.
When working with material such as wave slate, be careful to avoid chipping and unevenness.
It is possible to process rubber with an angle grinder, but not necessary. If you understand what we mean.
Grooves, springs, rebar or channel can also be cut with an angle grinder.
Need to cut drywall or polycarbonate? Do this very carefully to avoid chipping and breaking the material. You will need neatness if you need to cut glass mosaics. For example, if you are cutting off excess parts from a pasted arch, cover the cut and the part to be cut off with masking tape or construction tape. This minimizes the possibility of cracks and prevents debris from scattering on the floor after cutting.
How TO CUT A TILES WITHOUT CHIPS ANGLE GRINDER?
As we said above, the range of applications for the angle grinder is incredibly wide. She also acts as an excellent helper when cutting material such as tiles or tiles. But, a logical question arises regarding the equipment: How is it better to work on tiles? To carry out this type of work, you need to get a grinding diamond wheel and a tile holder. It is hardly possible to work without dust with this material, so take care of a protective mask in advance.
Let’s take a closer look at the process itself and how to cut tiles or tiles without chips.
- The easiest way is to cut straight. Fix the tile well so that its edge remains suspended along the mowing line of the cut and get to work.
- The next method to be noted is cutting at a 45 angle. This method is more complicated than the first one. First, we cut the ceramic tile with a straight cut. Then, when cutting the disc, the angle grinder is guided at an angle and remove the unnecessary part. Next, we grind the cut with sandpaper.
How TO CUT CORRECTLY THE METAL angle grinder?
First, let’s talk about the dangers that lie in wait for the master when cutting metal with an angle grinder, namely:
- Fragments of the disc, in the event of a break;
- Powerful stream of sparks and small abrasive particles;
- In some cases, the inability to hold the instrument in the hands.
Now, here are some tips for working with metal.
If you have no experience in this type of work, then, for a start, it is worth practicing on unnecessary details. If in the course of work, you decide to change the cutting plane when the disc is inside the workpiece, this will immediately lead to its breakage.
To increase the life of discs, especially expensive ones, they need to be cooled. This is done with water. It is necessary to water the cutting area. It is advisable that you work with a partner who will carry out all these additional manipulations.
Also, breaks of 5-7 minutes every 20-30 minutes of work will help to increase the service life of the equipment, and the tool itself. This rule is especially important when working with household angle grinders. This way you will keep your instrument from overheating.
It should also be remembered that you should not put pressure on the angle grinder during operation, otherwise it may fail due to overheating, or the disc will jam. If you feel that performance is too slow, try changing the drive.
Can the angle grinder CUT WOOD?
Many experienced craftsmen claim that cutting wood with an angle grinder is to be. Our opinion: it is really possible to cut wood with an angle grinder, but it is extremely unsafe, inconvenient, slow and of poor quality. And that’s why.
Firstly, during operation, the disc of an angle grinder gets very hot and becomes incredibly fragile. The slightest misalignment can result in a ruptured disc. You can find out about the consequences of this situation from the pictures on the Internet.
Secondly, when working with a disc equipped with victorious solders, these solders can easily get under the skin. And this is a direct way to the hospital, because you cannot remove them on your own, plus all this is fraught with infection.
Thirdly, when using a disc on wood, the teeth can grab more wood than you expect, and this, in turn, will lead to that. That the angle grinder will simply rip out of your hands. It is very dangerous!
We hope we have explained in an accessible way why you cannot use an angle grinder when working on wood and you will not even try.
But, as practice shows, many craftsmen at home resort to using an angle grinder in the process of processing materials such as chipboard, chipboard, laminate, OSB board or plywood. This should be cut as carefully and in compliance with all safety measures. Otherwise, you can not only spoil the material, but also be injured.
How TO EXACTLY CUT an angle grinder?
In order not to spoil the workpiece and make a high-quality smooth cut of the angle grinder, you will need to perform a number of preparatory measures, which we will discuss in this part of the article.
- Markup. All ingenious is simple. First we mark, then we cut. Take pipe cutting as an example. First, use a chalk or marker to apply the size, then use paper or duct tape. The main thing is that the edge is even. We take the selected auxiliary material and carefully wrap it around the pipe. Its border will be a clear and accurate marking of the cut. When performing work, it is important to remember that under no circumstances should you change the position of the tool stroke. Otherwise, the disc may jam or break. So, do not put additional pressure on the tool, as this will immediately be reflected in the curvature of the cut and spoil your workpiece.
- It is very important to choose the right thickness of the circle. There is a simple axiom at work: the thicker the material you work with, the thicker the disc should be. When choosing a tool, consult an expert in the field and pay attention to the marking of the grinding wheel applied to his shirt.
How TO SAFELY CUT AN Angle Grinder?
The work of an angle grinder is a matter that requires constant attention and control, because the consequences of accidents are irreversible. Therefore, before starting work, take care of the following:
- Take care of the protection of all parts of the body: face, hands, eyes.
- Clean the work area from excess, especially the place where the sparks fly out, remove all combustible materials away.
- The workpiece to be machined must always be securely fixed.
- Be sure to install the protective cover.
- Hold the tool firmly while working.
- At the end of the work, wait until the disc rotation has stopped completely, place the angle grinder with the disc facing up so as not to damage it, unplug the tool from the mains and check that there is no smoke or signs of fire.
What CANNOT BE CUT with an angle grinder? Basic ERRORS
The list below shows the materials that the angle grinder can work with. It is prohibited to work with materials that are not on the list.
- The angle grinder is perfect for cutting materials such as cast iron, metal, steel, copper, aluminum, iron, titanium. You can cut stainless steel or galvanized.
- With the appropriate attachments, you can also work with plastic, ceramics, glass, plexiglass and porcelain.
- Stone, granite, marble, asphalt, concrete or a wall made of it, brick, porcelain stoneware can also be processed by an angle grinder.
An angle grinder comes in handy when you need to cut off water pipes or old heating.
One of the main factors that guarantee the quality of work is the right tooling. If you have any questions or want to purchase discs, please contact our managers at the specified phones. They will recommend suitable discs and advise you on all issues of interest.
Angle grinder or angle grinder (angle grinder)
Manufacturers of the specified roofing material do not recommend using an angle grinder for cutting it due to the thermal effect on the polymer coating. Nevertheless, even some dealers of corrugated board use it as the most convenient cutting tool.
When using an angle grinder, certain rules are required:
- To work with profiled sheets, you need to use a disc with carbide teeth instead of an abrasive wheel. Such discs are called so. Discs for cutting corrugated board.
- The thickness of the disc should be between 1 mm and 1.6 mm.
- To avoid corrosion, the cutting area is covered with a high-quality paint of the appropriate color.
When using a special blade, the cut edges are very thin and neat.
Using an angle grinder has advantages and disadvantages. The advantage of using this tool is cutting speed and convenience. Its main drawback is thermal damage to the polymer and zinc coating, burning of the edges and burning of sheets by sparks flying from an angle grinder. In addition, red-hot metal particles adhering to the surface contribute to the formation of corrosion centers. Torn sheet edges after cutting with an angle grinder take a long time to remove burrs. The tool makes a lot of noise during operation. The use of a special disc designed for cutting corrugated board eliminates many negative aspects of using an angle grinder.
Instructions for cutting metal with manual punching shears
Features of the use of scissors for metal
Advantages of cutting a profile sheet with metal shears:
- It is an indispensable tool for cutting thin strips.
- Provided they are well sharpened, they do an excellent job of cutting across the wave.
Disadvantages of using the tool:
- Scissors for metal poorly cut corrugated board lengthwise, since in this direction the sheets have little flexibility.
- The main disadvantage of cutting with such scissors is not very even cut edges.
How to cut corrugated board. An overview of all the possibilities
Cutting thin sheet profiled steel is a process that requires the fulfillment of two conditions:
- Relative accuracy of the cut;
- Minimal damage to the surface and edge of the material.
We fulfill these requirements using a hacksaw, a grinder (angle grinder, impeller), electric jigsaw, circular saw, scissors.
Cut corrugated board angle grinder
Cutting the profiled sheet with an angle grinder is performed with a special disc. Abrasive Tool Application Not recommended, as it leads to negative consequences:
- The polymer layer is destroyed by heating the metal at the cut;
- The galvanized layer burns out;
- Sparks generated during operation damage the surface of the material over a large area.
High-quality cutting of the profiled sheet with a turbine depends on the skills of working with the tool. For cutting we use a high speed, which eliminates burrs, but causes strong vibration, which affects the accuracy. We use an angle grinder exclusively for cutting straight long sections. Such operations are performed at high speed. It is not easy to cut complex shapes, and the joining of angular cut lines depends on the skill of using the tool.
The main disadvantage of cutting corrugated board with a grinding machine is considered to be an inaccurate coincidence of the mowing line of the cut with the markings. Compliance with the safety regulations precludes the use of the tool directly at the installation site. It is forbidden to cut the profiled sheet holding the impeller in one hand.
It is the most convenient tool for cutting sheet metal. It combines the precision of a hand saw, the speed of an angle grinder or jigsaw and the quality of a circular saw. Electric scissors can cut almost any broken and smooth curves, holes, grooves and other geometric shapes. The battery-powered modification allows installation and adjustment of corrugated board without power supply directly on site. The disadvantage is the high cost of the device.